What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

As in actual american civil war, not some kooky alternate history like Damnation or such right? If so I dont recall that game, at all.
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Hemingway

Problem with that is it would be impossible to make into a game that would be even remotely popular. The style of warfare just doesn't work in games. And if you don't use that style of warfare, but let people run around in little deathmatch fights, it'd just devolve into people running around and stabbing each other or shooting at point blank range, rather than using their shoddy ranged weapons.

Having said that, I obviously forgot about the old west. It could be really awesome, if done properly. Shame that's so rare. Don't get me started on how much Red Dead Redemption sucked. The original Call of Juarez was pretty original and awesome, with the sequel being slightly less original, and definitely lacking in some areas, but still definitely a good game. The biggest problem as I see it would be that despite being a western game, it'd still play like a modern one.

Not that CoD wouldn't be fun in an old west setting. Killstreak? Covered wagon with gatling gun! Off-map cannons! Cavalry charge!

Tonalberry

Quote from: Brandon on November 13, 2010, 11:48:49 PM
As in actual american civil war, not some kooky alternate history like Damnation or such right? If so I dont recall that game, at all.

No, there was a game, for the 360 I believe, about some of the 'great' battles of the Civil War, I think.  I can't remember what it was called, but yeah, apparently it sucked.

Oniya

Quote from: Tonalberry on November 14, 2010, 10:55:52 AM
No, there was a game, for the 360 I believe, about some of the 'great' battles of the Civil War, I think.  I can't remember what it was called, but yeah, apparently it sucked.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:American_Civil_War_video_games

Apparently, they did several.  I'd probably approach any such game as a tactical/strategy game, rather than the FPS style.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Brandon

Quote from: Oniya on November 14, 2010, 11:05:04 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:American_Civil_War_video_games

Apparently, they did several.  I'd probably approach any such game as a tactical/strategy game, rather than the FPS style.

*looks through the list* Am I the only one that thinks Call of Jaurez: Bound in blood (a western style fps) doesnt really belong in there?
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Hemingway

Quote from: Brandon on November 14, 2010, 11:27:30 AM
*looks through the list* Am I the only one that thinks Call of Jaurez: Bound in blood (a western style fps) doesnt really belong in there?

Well, the intro did take place during the Civil War.

Sabby

Dude, the South are one of the antagonists >.> trying to start up the war again before it's even cooled off. I think that qualifies.

Wyrd

Lair of the Shadow broker for Mass Effect 2. This is really awesome. If anyone here is a fan of the Mass Effect saga and have not gotten this I jighly recommend it.
Ragtime Dandies!

Inkidu

Yeah I'm probably getting Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood tomorrow. It actually makes you care about stealth... sometimes.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

01lwilliams

Regarding all the talk about Civil War games:

For the PC try and get - Sid Meier's Gettysberg.

Can't go wrong with Sid!

Wolfy

So..you guys think Perfect World is Worth getting into? As a free MMO, I hear that it's not too bad...

Wyrd

Hmm... Never herd of it. What do you do in it?
Ragtime Dandies!

Wolfy

Quote from: Wyrd on November 15, 2010, 11:29:07 PM
Hmm... Never herd of it. What do you do in it?

Well..it's a free to play MMO. xD

Wyrd

What kind of MMO? lol! there are tons of different kinds of free MMOs out there. What is the setting and why is this so special? Or is it another generic DnD style fantasy MMO?
Ragtime Dandies!

Wolfy

Fantasy MMO based on Chinese Mythology. :P

Oniya

Chinese Mythology is certainly a different concept.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Wolfy

Indeed. I'm interested, but I'm not sure if I should bother..:P Apparently there's no one on E that plays it. xD

Oniya

Since it's free, you could always try it out and then write something sell the MMO players here on it.  If it turns out it sucks, all you've wasted is a bit of time.  ('It's free' usually isn't a sufficient reason for most people.  I can get all the horse manure I want for free, up near the hitching post.  Doesn't mean it's worth the effort.)

Wyrd

Umm? Anyone here play League of Legends? I just downloaded it. Since wre on the subject of free MMOs
Ragtime Dandies!

Inkidu

Quote from: Wyrd on November 15, 2010, 11:43:37 PM
What kind of MMO? lol! there are tons of different kinds of free MMOs out there. What is the setting and why is this so special? Or is it another generic DnD style fantasy MMO?
Actually they're all the same really. It just depends on what varnish you want slathered on top. Even pay to play ones. They're just more of the same but "deeper".

Got tired of FF XIV, Wolfy? I've heard people use a phrase that rhymes with fluster duck when talking about it.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

cirdanf

Inkidu, League of Legends is not a "MMORPG", it's a dota style strategy game. Think Age of Empires.
www.f-list.net/c/cirdan

Check for nice insight :)

Wolfy

Quote from: Inkidu on November 16, 2010, 08:27:11 PM
Actually they're all the same really. It just depends on what varnish you want slathered on top. Even pay to play ones. They're just more of the same but "deeper".

Got tired of FF XIV, Wolfy? I've heard people use a phrase that rhymes with fluster duck when talking about it.

Nopes..I like it. :D

Hemingway

I'm curious to know if anyone here has played FEAR 2. I've tried the demo, and wasn't particularly impressed, but I consider getting it for the sake of, well, the story, I guess? It seems interesting enough for a cheap game.

Brandon

Ive played all the FEAR games including the various expansion packs. They really arent that great IMO. As cool as the story sounds when you first start it it gets rather cliche very quickly

Rapsodi

Angry Birds...lots, and LOTS of Angry Birds. I know it's not a console game but I am not home much because of school. So my iphone is my gaming system. :)
Love doesn’t make the world go round, love is what makes the ride worthwhile.