Started by HairyHeretic, September 09, 2015, 05:41:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowFox89

If we still have room.... I'd like to throw my hat in >.>
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Muse

I'm still very interested. 

I wouldn't mind a living campaing, but I'm behind on book aquisiton, so you'd have to put me bakc on the register. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Vekseid

Quote from: Jefepato on October 25, 2015, 07:40:33 AM
Three?  Why three?

There is one reason.  It is unreadable.  To speak of examples, most of page 255 cannot be read.  I could give more examples but I don't see the point.

I don't mean difficult to read.  I mean absolutely impossible because it is just scattered letters.  Surely I'm not the only person with issues?  I downloaded it twice to be sure.

Use Sumatra or FoxIt Reader. And report the issue on KickStarter, of course. : /

Vekseid

Quote from: HairyHeretic on October 25, 2015, 08:07:13 AM
Off the top of my head, unless changes are on a big scale .. affecting a named location, canon NPC or what have you, then in the overall scheme of things, they probably won't have an impact on anyone elses game.

I think if there was one central location for major changes, say subdivided by region, that would allow any GM to update or track what was happening.

Living Campaign is sort of the style I am planning on doing for the game I am running on World Unbent, FYI.

Jefepato

Quote from: Vekseid on October 26, 2015, 05:35:30 AM
Use Sumatra or FoxIt Reader. And report the issue on KickStarter, of course. : /
This seems to work.  Thanks!

(And I already reported it.)

Thufir Hawat

Stone reminds me of a story in "Faces and masks" SF anthology. It has potential, too.
Dun-lat reminds me of Tibet in years of chaos.
Both have potential, but it's different potential. And of course, nobody says they can't be close by ;D!

Like lockepicke, I also prefer talking about characters in context. Thus, I'll put it off, since it remains to be seen which GM, if any, would take me on board before making a character for this specific campaign :P.

Fun fact, if you want mechanics for sex, the current combat system is nearly perfect for adapting, though you'd be trying to hit the MDV instead >:)!

It's the GM's decision whether to include his game in a Living Campaign set-up, but I admit I'm honestly quite surprised to see the dislike for living campaigns, since I've never seen them failing to improve the experience.
Join The System Gamers List
Request thread 1 Request thread 2
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs
"Love is a negative form of hatred." - Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

A&A thread!

Lockepick

@Those who have updated: I'll update the database soon! I just didn't want to flood this thread with every little update. Your input HAS been noted though!

Quote from: Thufir Hawat on October 26, 2015, 10:18:42 AM
It's the GM's decision whether to include his game in a Living Campaign set-up, but I admit I'm honestly quite surprised to see the dislike for living campaigns, since I've never seen them failing to improve the experience.

I think Living Campaigns are a lot of fun -- in a real life setting. I think the PbP format adds a lot of issues, and adds additional factors to consider (such as timing) that aren't a factor in PbP.

That being said, I'm a filthy whore for games and excited enough about 3E that I'm not going to avoid playing just because it's a Living Campaign.
Like what you see? I am currently looking for new plots!

Detailed List of O/Os and Plot Seeds

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

AndyZ

My major concern with Ex3 is that it looks like it's going to take for-freaking-ever to do combat on forums.

In D&D, you can waive the initiative system to a major degree, but you still have hits and misses.  In Ex2, you get stuck with the initiative system a lot more, and the DV and such can slow things down.

With Ex3, not only is initiative a major factor in the game design, but most of your attacks won't actually be doing any damage.

That's not a game design flaw, but it's certainly something to take into account on our medium.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Vekseid

My campaign (or living campaign or however it comes together) will be played out in Ajax Chat sessions, so that won't be an issue there.

AndyZ

Now, one thing that I recommend as a house rule (and I already sent this in to Richard Thomas in the hopes it'll become official): make purchasing merits 3xp per dot instead of new rating x 3.

Let's say that Hairy has a character with Resources 4 and I have a character with Resources 0.  If we both go to Resources 5 at the same time, we'd both pay the same amount of XP as per the current rules.  It'd make more sense for Hairy to only pay 3xp to bump up by one, while I still pay 15xp to go from 0 to 5.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Lockepick

Are you sure on that? Using nWoD as a base -- the person going from Resources 0 to Resources 5 would still have to buy each dot in between.

Resources 4 -> 5 = 15 XP (5 x 3)
Resources 0 -> 5 = 45 XP ((1 x 3) + (2 x 3) + (3 x 3) + (4 x 3) + (5 x 3))
Like what you see? I am currently looking for new plots!

Detailed List of O/Os and Plot Seeds

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

AndyZ

Oh, then it ends up even worse because some merits have variable rankings and some don't, and some build and others don't.

If I get a Manse at rating 5, and the Manse has always been at the high rating, do I have to pay it at 3?

Either way, you're going to heavily encourage players to buy things with variable rankings at their highest dot at character creation and avoid buying other things until later.  Martial Artist, for example, would only be 12 instead of having to pay 30 for Resources 4 with XP.

Edit: It seems like they're moving away from that path, though.

That was a big issue with willpower in Ex2, and buying WP is now just a base 8.

nWoD had all kinds of issues.  That was one of them.

Winter King

Keep in mind that Resources is a story merit... so you don't pay any XP at all for it. If you do things that earn you money, you get more resources dots.

Edit: Same with Manse, actually.
Current Status: Busy-ish, but back. I'll try to check in more often nowadays.

Check out my world!

AndyZ

I missed that.  Thank you, Winter King.

I guess the only ones it really matters for right now are Mighty Thew and Quick Draw.

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: AndyZ on October 26, 2015, 11:18:16 AM
Now, one thing that I recommend as a house rule (and I already sent this in to Richard Thomas in the hopes it'll become official): make purchasing merits 3xp per dot instead of new rating x 3.

Let's say that Hairy has a character with Resources 4 and I have a character with Resources 0.  If we both go to Resources 5 at the same time, we'd both pay the same amount of XP as per the current rules.  It'd make more sense for Hairy to only pay 3xp to bump up by one, while I still pay 15xp to go from 0 to 5.
This has been suggested multiple times and their position has repeatedly been that there is no way.
That said, no, the XP rules are consistent, since you only pay the Merit levels that exist. So if a Merit only has 1st, 3rd and 5th level, to raise it from 1st to 5th level, you only have to pay 24 points!
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

AndyZ

Quote from: Thufir Hawat on October 26, 2015, 11:52:18 AM
This has been suggested multiple times and their position has repeatedly been that there is no way.
That said, no, the XP rules are consistent, since you only pay the Merit levels that exist. So if a Merit only has 1st, 3rd and 5th level, to raise it from 1st to 5th level, you only have to pay 24 points!

Didn't realize others had suggested it.  I didn't see a lot of actual rules being offered or suggested before the PDF came out.

Still want to suggest it as a house rule, though...

Thufir Hawat

There were threads on The Big Purple about the mechanical changes people would like to see. The whole thing with "get some linear costs already and stop screwing people that want certain concepts for hundreds of XP" was suggested, strongly, by many people.
The developers seemed adamant that linear costs "are harming verisimilitude" or some such.

As for a houserule, I'd agree with you. Of course, I'd also suggest average XP prices of the current ones. So a level of Merit should be 9 XP, not 3, but at least it wouldn't penalise generalists that want to improve.
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

AndyZ

I mean 3xp per dot, so 3 dots would be 9xp.

At least they did so with Willpower.

Vekseid

The only purchased merits with variable ratings are quick draw and mighty thew.

The former is 1 and 4 dots.

The latter is 1 to 3. And mighty thew.

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: AndyZ on October 26, 2015, 02:03:29 PM
I mean 3xp per dot, so 3 dots would be 9xp.

At least they did so with Willpower.
And I mean 9 XP per dot, because that's the average of 45 XP per 5 levels of a Merit.
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

AndyZ

Willpower is now a flat 8XP per dot, is what I mean.

Thufir Hawat

Yes, and adopting flat XP rates for everything is gearing up to be the most popular houserule.
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

ChaoticSky

There is also a comprehensive houserule for Crafting that basically apes the sorcery system. Since crafting as-is is is apparently broken as shit.

Vekseid

The core concept is pretty nice, though some of the charms weren't properly updated. Like the evocation ones. A character can begin the game preparing to start building their first artifact.

'white' experience is a bit wtf though. I told hatewheel I'm calling it luminous. >_>

Revelation

The big issue I have with craft is it just went back to 1e style craft, which is... not good. The whole individual craft score for individual things is a right pain in the ass and a complete XP sink.