Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles- 25 years old

Started by Jag, May 04, 2009, 05:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jag

As most people know...I am a Turtles fan. Have been ever since I was a little kid. I've seen the whole original cartoon show, all the movies, and read almost all the books put out. I even have a pet turtle and a RP here on E going to deal with the Turtles.

Now...I'm just a dork, but this month is important to the Turtles. Twenty-Five years ago this month Peter Laird and Kevin Eastman finished and published the first 40 page comic book for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. They never expected it to go past one issue, but it has and even has two specials coming out this month. TMNT: Future Tense and TMNT: The Forever War (this one actually comes out in June, but it's up for pre-order now).

The turtles have evolved quite a bit. In the first issue The Shredder was killed. Why? Because they didn't think they would ever put out more than on issue. All the turtles originally started out with red eye masks, only later did they get different colors. They have seen the live screen and even been adapted into a CGI movie. Raf becomes Shredder for a while. Leo runs away for a while to train on his own. Mikey becomes a published writer. And Donnie gets college degrees. Master Splinter eventually dies of old age. April and Casey do end up together with Casey's adopted daughter Shadow.

I recently got the privilege to become the owner of the new, reprint of the very first issue of TMNT. I greatly enjoyed reading through it for the first time in many years.

I know most people won't share my love of the Turtles as most people prefer Batman, Spiderman, The Joker, Green Lantern, Captain America, Thor, Wonder Woman, The Hulk...but I like the Turtles. ^_^

EDIT:

Yes. I know I am a dork.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Inkidu

I was a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle many a time on Halloween thank you very much. I remember throwing away a small fortune in quarters beating the arcade game. I also own the first two live-action (Jim Henson) movies, and could quote them at a time. I owned many of the books and still remember large portions of the original theme song. Bee-bop and Rock-Steady are still the most awesome animal-based villains ever.

Fun fact: When coming up with a name for their throw away comic the creators had an small party where the had a contest to come up with the silliest name possible. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles won the brass ring.

*Joins Michi in being a dork*
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Jag

Fun Fact: The Shredder got his name from a cheese grater that sat on the counter in their apartment. They decided to use it when Kevin was washing dishes one night after dinner and had to wash the grater.

Mathim

My friend at work told me the Turtles were nothing but a parody of Marvel Comics. He explained it in a very interesting way, too, I'm not sure if he was correct or not but listen to this:

-In Daredevil, the evil ninja group was called The Hand. So the Turtles' enemies were the Foot Clan.
-Daredevil's master was called Stick. The Turtles' master is called Splinter.

That's about all I remember, but it was funny when he told me.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Inkidu

Quote from: Michi No Sora on May 04, 2009, 06:43:25 PM
Fun Fact: The Shredder got his name from a cheese grater that sat on the counter in their apartment. They decided to use it when Kevin was washing dishes one night after dinner and had to wash the grater.
Our dorkdom is unparalleled!

Fun Fact: TMNT is responsible for this,

cowabunga
1954, Amer.Eng., from exclamation of surprise and anger by Chief Thunderthud in "The Howdy Doody Show," 1950s children's TV show; used by surfers 1960s as a shout of triumph, and spread worldwide 1990 by use in the TV cartoon "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles."
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Jag

Fun Facts:

Chet Manley is the name of the man that spilled the turtles into the sewer. While walking home with his recently purchased pet turtles, Chet Manley saw a blind man walk in front of a large truck. He shoved him out of the way and saved his life. However, he dropped the case containing the baby turtles. The turtles were swept into the sewer by the mutagen that spilled from the overturned truck.

#1 top grossing independent film when introduced in 1990; Four of the most
successful independent theatrical motion pictures of all time

:P

Inkidu

Fun Fact: While looking for the names to their protagonists the creators actually found a book on Renascence art and found the names were both foreign and New Yorky enough.

Also Michelangelo has the most unwieldy of the four's weapons. The nunchuck is and indirectly controlled weapon and I can hardly use one, however I'm proficient with the bo and sai.     

Jag

In some other countries they had to be called the Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles and removed any scenes in which Michealangelo wields his nunchuks, replacing them with random clips from the show because of the controversy surrounding ninjas and some weapons.

BBC also removed the lines 'Bummer' and other american favorite TMNT catch phrases.

OdinSeraphin

I am only 21, but I grew up watching this show a lot. It was my favorite, this and Power Rangers. Sorry for the off topic bit, but those two are just huge pieces of nostalgia for me.

Inkidu

OdinSeraphin

Don't we do that every day? Or is that just me? I find being a Dork or Nerd is a good thing. In moderation, don't let it get overboard, but loving an old cartoon show from way back is no different then any other nerds out there that watch shows (Just look at Trekkies.)

Inkidu

Quote from: OdinSeraphin on May 04, 2009, 08:29:07 PM
Don't we do that every day? Or is that just me? I find being a Dork or Nerd is a good thing. In moderation, don't let it get overboard, but loving an old cartoon show from way back is no different then any other nerds out there that watch shows (Just look at Trekkies.)
I always find it weird a show that ran two seasons got such a following, I'm sure the TMNT cartoon lasted longer.

OdinSeraphin

Star Trek lasted 3 seasons *pushes nerd glasses up nose, snorting*.... Anyway.... I think the big appeal of it is just how silly the planets and creatures are. The Gorn come to mind, the big lizard men with zippers in their back.

Inkidu

Quote from: OdinSeraphin on May 04, 2009, 08:34:55 PM
Star Trek lasted 3 seasons *pushes nerd glasses up nose, snorting*.... Anyway.... I think the big appeal of it is just how silly the planets and creatures are. The Gorn come to mind, the big lizard men with zippers in their back.
Season One: Go where no man has gone before. Season Two: Kirk nails everything female and green.

Anyway back on topic. I'm too lazy to do the research but I think Casey Jones was named for the struck-out batter  for his eclectic golf bag of weapons. (Which contains more or less one hockey stick, one 9-iron, and two baseball bats)

MercyfulFate

I actually got to meet the creator of TMNT through a friend, although I didn't know at the time. He acted weird, assuming I knew who he was and was going to jump up and down like a star-struck child, which is not my way.

King_Furby

I always have liked the turtles, espically the first 2 live action movies. Go ninja go ninja go.

Diabolus Lupus

*tops Inkidu's movie dorkiness* I own all three of the original live action movies, although the second one was probably my favorite. *can't remember the names of the mutant animals shredder made*

Also I seem to recall Casey also had a cricket bat in that bag too. He nailed Raf with it in the....first movie I believe.

Serephino

To add to the dorkiness, the mutants Shredder had in the second movie were Toka and Razar (sp?)  They were a snapping turtle and a wolf cub.  I own the second movie.  I can't find the first one.  I'm not sure which one I like more.  The third one, while creative, wasn't that great.

As I kid I watched the original cartoon every day.  I don't like the new cartoon. 

OdinSeraphin

"Ninja Ninja Rap, Gonna rock the town without being seen, now have you ever seen a turtle get down?"

Inkidu

Quote from: Devilstrike on May 04, 2009, 11:01:34 PM
*tops Inkidu's movie dorkiness* I own all three of the original live action movies, although the second one was probably my favorite. *can't remember the names of the mutant animals shredder made*

Also I seem to recall Casey also had a cricket bat in that bag too. He nailed Raf with it in the....first movie I believe.
It varies I just pick the mainstays. I think he had a croquet mallet too.

Jag

I actually got to meet the creator of TMNT through a friend, although I didn't know at the time. He acted weird, assuming I knew who he was and was going to jump up and down like a star-struck child, which is not my way.
I think that might of been Eastman. I met Laird and he was a pretty cool guy. I knew who he was, but then again the big sign at the convention kind of made that clear for people that didn't. >.<

QuoteI always find it weird a show that ran two seasons got such a following, I'm sure the TMNT cartoon lasted longer.
It lasted for 10 seasons. *owns up to season 6 on DVD...Season 7 comes out in a few months*

QuoteAs I kid I watched the original cartoon every day.  I don't like the new cartoon.
The new cartoon is actually much closer to the original comic book story line. Though the original show was more entertaining. I prefer the older show as well.

Quote"Ninja Ninja Rap, Gonna rock the town without being seen, now have you ever seen a turtle get down?"
That's probably the best thing that man ever did...sadly.

Inkidu

Quote from: Michi No Sora on May 05, 2009, 07:55:40 AM
I think that might of been Eastman. I met Laird and he was a pretty cool guy. I knew who he was, but then again the big sign at the convention kind of made that clear for people that didn't. >.<
It lasted for 10 seasons. *owns up to season 6 on DVD...Season 7 comes out in a few months*
The new cartoon is actually much closer to the original comic book story line. Though the original show was more entertaining. I prefer the older show as well.
That's probably the best thing that man ever did...sadly.
I was talking about Star Trek with that two seasons thing. Small digression.

Jag

Quote from: Inkidu on May 05, 2009, 08:04:45 AM
I was talking about Star Trek with that two seasons thing. Small digression.

I know. You just said that you thought TMNT last longer and I was just posting how many seasons it did last. ^_^

Inkidu

Quote from: Michi No Sora on May 05, 2009, 08:07:29 AM
I know. You just said that you thought TMNT last longer and I was just posting how many seasons it did last. ^_^
Wow ten. That's a good run.

Jag

Quote from: Inkidu on May 05, 2009, 08:20:44 AM
Wow ten. That's a good run.

Seeing as how most decent cartoons don't make it past maybe three seasons...Ten is rather good. Even most popular animes don't make it to ten seasons.