Gotham City: No Mans Land (Batman/family needed!)

Started by Primarch, October 11, 2012, 04:06:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Primarch

I am. currently pondering an OC or either Deathstroke or Bane. Possibly 2 of the 3, but certainly not both Deathstroke & Bane.

ManyMindsManyVoices

"I'm not that into Bane, never really got the appeal. Maybe I find that DC has kind of a heavy-handed (pretty literally) way of taking their own heroes down a notch, given both Bane and Doomsday."

"Deathstroke appeals to me, particularly the very Batman like Slade from the Teen Titans animated series. Heh, though I guess I could see myself writing any Batman character and giving it some major twist. I think Poison Ivy is one of the few I'd play pretty straight. She's interesting, seductive, and her power is varied enough to put her in just about any plot."
My O/Os * Everyone should read 1/0

This is the Oath of the Drake. You should take it.

Primarch

Teen Titan Slade? That's your favourite Deathstroke incarnation? There's a first. That was a pretty watered down Deathstroke.

ManyMindsManyVoices

"Well, notably, I like watching him and Robin play head games, and it might have something to do with not finishing the series, so I left that story open in my head to be an awesome Batman vs. Robin showdown. I know that's not where they went with it, but it could have, and with good writing, it could have been really awesome. So, it's more like, Teen Titans Slade + Ryu Head Canon Slade."

Latooni Subota

Yeah, the Teen Titans Slade is fun, but not nearly as cool as his comic forms.

Re: Poison Ivy. Since you're already playing a canon, I'd suggest not talking about playing another one. What if someone else looks at the thread wanting to play Poison Ivy, and decides to leave after seeing you talk about possibly playing her? That would be sadface! (Also, I only mentioned Poison Ivy as an example. :x )

I'll wait until more Bosses are on the board before I flesh out my character concept, I think.

Edit: SQUEEE! Deathstroke in episode 5 of Arrow! <3
ONs and OFFs be here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=64984.0

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

ManyMindsManyVoices

"Well, given Crane's rather non-mobile position, I'll likely seriously look into playing someone whose more likely to move around and make trouble. I have no idea which Robin I prefer, hell, I could even go Tim Drake, but that would depend on who Batman is being played by and how (or if we have no Batman, how we'd be handling the substitution of Batman)."

"Honestly, I'd also be interested in playing a female, if only to help bring up the female-to-male ratio. However, since I rarely play opposite males (and I can't think of a male character in this setting I'd want to play opposite to), it'd be a girls-only type of girl."

"Anyway, I'll see what kind of interest that pops up and focus on just trying to get a more mobile persona out there."

Amberly

I will definitely put my own spin on Batgirl and make her more of a loner vigilante. I hope that is ok. Not too much of a comic expert to be honest so my knowledge of her is limited.

Primarch

Quote from: Amberly on October 12, 2012, 07:05:39 PM
I will definitely put my own spin on Batgirl and make her more of a loner vigilante. I hope that is ok. Not too much of a comic expert to be honest so my knowledge of her is limited.

I find DC Wikia to be excellent.
http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Barbara_Gordon_(New_Earth)

Another Batgirl worth looking at:
http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Cassandra_Cain_(New_Earth)

Amberly

Wikipedia to the rescue!
No worries. I will not play her completely against the grain but I will make her my own and if anyone she meets references things from her past I don't know about she will punch him in the face :)

ManyMindsManyVoices

"I think it's a good idea to make the setting unique. There are so many incarnations of Batman, and so many reasons people would interested in the game. Not to mention how many awesome ways a character can be portrayed in Batman's world (especially with the shattered psychoses theme the Rogues' Gallery). Plus, it saves on 'Remember that time...' stories that don't make any sense."

"If Primarch disagrees or has something else in mind, of course, GM gets the last call. Those are just my thoughts."

Amberly

Quote from: Ryuka Tana on October 12, 2012, 08:08:46 PM
"I think it's a good idea to make the setting unique. There are so many incarnations of Batman, and so many reasons people would interested in the game. Not to mention how many awesome ways a character can be portrayed in Batman's world (especially with the shattered psychoses theme the Rogues' Gallery). Plus, it saves on 'Remember that time...' stories that don't make any sense."

"If Primarch disagrees or has something else in mind, of course, GM gets the last call. Those are just my thoughts."

I agree. The whole setting is unique so why not give the characters a unique spin as well

Ironwolf85

I'm tempted to play a good guy... IF this gets off the ground... and IF life doesn't go insane.

Actually I had the idea of playing Alfred Pennysworth. Normally a supporting character to batman, who looks after the manor while he's away, patches Bruce up, ect. I've seen his full profile and it is a doozie Alfred is ex-MI6, has tons of combat and logistical experience. If the era is mostly modern, he has experience at playing The Great Game (U.S. / Soviet Edition) and while not a supervillan, who better to manage The Wayne Manor war effort while batman is out being well... batman...
I think between Wayne Industries, good PR, Technology, Employees, and good ol civilans pissed off at supercriminals running the city, Alfrid could gather and train a pretty impressive millita given his credentals, and turn Wayne Manor into a fortress.

I kinda have the image of parts of the outer ground turned shanty town as refugees stream in looking for saftey and him involved in a sort of Cold War with the new Warden of Arkham, as they are both on the same side of the river. Not to mention the bridges form easy kill zones.

If Alfred is not available I'm going to ask to Play Cobblepot, the penguin himself, his arkham city incarnation really impressed me. He'll likely play black marketeer, and lock down the docks. Anything going in or out, usually goes through cobblepot's stubby fingers.
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

Pyrkinas

Here's the idea I have for Two-Face so far. Let me know what you think.

Codename: Two-Face
Alignment: Neutral
Height: 6'0"
Weight: 182 lbs.

Skills: Harvey's time as District Attorney has cultivated in him great diplomatic ability; he can influence others with words (his "good" personality favoring diplomacy while his "evil" half excels at intimidation), and he is equally capable at reading behavior to sense someone's motivations and whether or not they are lying. In addition, he has in the past regularly practiced marksmanship in the gun range alongside friends in Gotham PD, and is in good physical condition.

Personal equipment: Dent, in keeping with his theme of duality, prefers a pair of semi-automatic handguns to defend himself, though he also has access to other firearms such as rifles and shotguns. His most cherished item, however, is his double-headed silver dollar coin with one side heavily scratched.

Backstory: Harvey Dent was raised by his lower-class father, a mentally disturbed alcoholic who was both loving and physically abusive to the boy. Harvey developed an alternate personality as a coping mechanism for this traumatic childhood, an angry and malicious mindset that took hold during stressful situations. Despite this, his usual demeanor would remain kind and pleasant, if somewhat meek.

Dent grew up with a strong sense of justice which led him to law school, and he would go on to make quite a name for himself as the youngest ever District Attorney at the age of 26. He held a reputation for being charming and extremely competent, though he was known to become overly ruthless and even violent at times. Aside from these seeming mood swings, things were going well for Harvey. This would come to an end when he was betrayed by his Assistant D.A., Vernon Wells, who conspired with the Maroni crime family against him. Wells and the Maronis came to a mutually beneficial arrangement, which would involve deposing Dent permanently. Fortunately (or possibly unfortunately), Harvey survived their assassination attempt, but sustained severe burns to the left side of his body. This experience shattered the D.A.'s already damaged psyche, and his two personalities merged into one.

Dent's coin, once a lucky charm passed down from his father, now became a tool of compromise between his noble side and his hateful urges. When faced with a difficult or moral decision, he would flip the coin and proceed accordingly to the result, as he first demonstrated when he murdered his treacherous former assistant. The second coin toss immediately afterward decided that he would turn himself in to the police for his crime. Dent was sent to Arkham Asylum, where he remained without issue until Gotham was evacuated, whereupon he cut a deal with Jonathan Crane to secure his own escape, resolving to enforce his own, now-twisted form of justice on the lawless city. Through coercion, force, and more than a little luck, Dent managed to form a faction under his command which he refers to as his "police force", made up of opportunistic criminals and former genuine cops (though most of the corrupt and self-serving variety).

Territory: Eight. After the evacuation of the city, Dent quickly seized control of City Hall, the courthouse, and the surrounding areas, claiming it as his base of operations in his effort to "restore order" to the city.

ManyMindsManyVoices

Quote from: Pyrkinas on October 13, 2012, 01:34:22 AM
Here's the idea I have for Two-Face so far. Let me know what you think.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Codename: Two-Face
Height: 6'0"
Weight: 182 lbs.

Skills: Harvey's time as District Attorney has cultivated in him great diplomatic ability; he can influence others with words (his "good" personality favoring diplomacy while his "evil" half excels at intimidation), and he is equally capable at reading behavior to sense someone's motivations and whether or not they are lying. In addition, he has in the past paid a certain renowned mercenary to train him in marksmanship, and is in good physical condition.
Personal equipment: Dent, in keeping with his theme of duality, prefers a pair of semi-automatic handguns to defend himself, though he also has access to other firearms such as rifles and shotguns. His most cherished item, however, is his double-headed silver dollar coin with one side heavily scratched.

Backstory: Harvey Dent was raised by his lower-class father, a mentally disturbed alcoholic who was both loving and physically abusive to the boy. Harvey developed an alternate personality as a coping mechanism for this traumatic childhood, an angry and malicious mindset that took hold during stressful situations. Despite this, his usual demeanor would remain kind and pleasant, if somewhat meek.

Dent grew up with a strong sense of justice which led him to law school, and he would go on to make quite a name for himself as the youngest ever District Attorney at the age of 26. He held a reputation for being charming and extremely competent, though he was known to become overly ruthless and even violent at times. Aside from these seeming mood swings, things were going well for Harvey. This would come to an end when he was betrayed by his Assistant D.A., Vernon Wells, who conspired with the Maroni crime family against him. Wells and the Maronis came to a mutually beneficial arrangement, which would involve deposing Dent permanently. Fortunately (or possibly unfortunately), Harvey survived their assassination attempt, but sustained severe burns to the left side of his body. This experience shattered the D.A.'s already damaged psyche, and his two personalities merged into one.

Dent's coin, once a lucky charm passed down from his father, now became a tool of compromise between his noble side and his hateful urges. When faced with a difficult or moral decision, he would flip the coin and proceed accordingly to the result, as he first demonstrated when he murdered his treacherous former assistant. The second coin toss immediately afterward decided that he would turn himself in to the police for his crime. Dent was sent to Arkham Asylum, where he remained without issue until Gotham was evacuated, whereupon he cut a deal with Jonathan Crane to secure his own escape, resolving to enforce his own, now-twisted form of justice on the lawless city. Through coercion, force, and more than a little luck, Dent managed to form a faction under his command which he refers to as his "police force", made up of opportunistic criminals and former genuine cops (though most of the corrupt and self-serving variety).

Territory: Eight. After the evacuation of the city, Dent quickly seized control of City Hall, the courthouse, and the surrounding areas, claiming it as his base of operations in his effort to "restore order" to the city.

"I like the idea of a not-quite-evil Dent, and too many times it almost seems like someone's going to try to do it, but then it doesn't happen."

Primarch

Zhu Que

"I'm interested in Harley Quinn... Just waitin' to see..."

Primarch

Ironwolf85

seems to be picking up, if it stays active monday I will make alfred's bio
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

TheRaven

Codename: Scion
Height: 5'11"
Weight: 170 lbs.

Skills: A skilled mixer and user of poison. Bartram's other skills taught during his training include stealth, acrobatics, and how to use a wide variety of weapons. Over time, he has narrowed his focus to his swords and needles.
Personal equipment: A wakizashi and tanto, several vials of various poisons, and needles for delivering the toxins.
Backstory: A son of London, Bartram was born in the East End; his mother died in childbirth. His father managed to scrape by working with some of the local gangs, and Bartram did the same once he was old enough to be admitted. After a particularly nasty scuffle that resulted in his near-death in his early twenties, he was rescued by a member of the League of Assassins. Apparently, the assassin had seen some potential in Bartram.

Only too happy to leave his home behind him, once he had recovered, Bartram left London to receive his training. He spent five years training and working as a footsoldier in the League until he came to prominence after single-handedly saving an operation that went bad. An assassin's cover was compromised, and he was tortured into revealing the details of the plan. Thinking quickly on the run, Bartram created a new plan based on where the target's forces would be waiting to ambush them based on the old plan that had been given up. Ra's brought him up through the ranks, and stationed him as a member of the League's chapter in Gotham.

During the chaos that first ensued, the chapter's master was killed during conflict with Two-Face's forces over their old base of operations near the clock tower, and Bartram stepped up to take his place. He adopted the title of Scion, and has been organizing the remainder of the League's Gotham chapter to weather the storm.
"Hey," said Shadow. "Huginn or Muninn, or whoever you are"
The bird turned, head tipped, suspiciously, on one side, and it stared at him with bright eyes.
"Say 'Nevermore,'" said Shadow.
"Fuck you," said the raven.

Primarch

I'm not sure what alchemy has to do with poison and the "variety of weapons" is pretty vague. I'm not cutting up the territories into smaller segments either. I think it'll be best if this OC is matched up with a canon.

TheRaven

I'll fix him up a little bit, and wait to see if someone picks up a member of the al Ghul family then.
"Hey," said Shadow. "Huginn or Muninn, or whoever you are"
The bird turned, head tipped, suspiciously, on one side, and it stared at him with bright eyes.
"Say 'Nevermore,'" said Shadow.
"Fuck you," said the raven.

Zhu Que

"I have come up with an idea for Harley Quinn. I will wait a few days to see if there is a Joker or Poison Ivy, if not, I will mention my idea for a solo Harley."

Primarch

Primarch

Alright, we've had long enough to organise. Those of you that have a claimed location can claim a second location (must be a connected location), I'll take up Bane and claim area 5 & 1. I'm reserving area 2 for the Bat family. New characters are still welcome, both canon & OC. We'll start in the next couple of days.

Zhu Que

"Pretty sure I'll snatch at least the amusement park."