News:

Main Menu

Steampunk

Started by Wilhiem, October 19, 2009, 07:29:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilhiem

I'm just wondering if anyone has any interest in the steampunk genre?

There are quite a few different genres out there that are more mainstream - Sci fi, Fantasy, Horror, but steampunk seems reserved for people who have dreams about airships and people dressed in victorian age clothing with funky steam powered gadgets.

I've run in one play by post game myself, seen a couple of differnet RPGs for it and actually seen some people cosplay for GenCon Oz this year, so its definitely out there in certain crowds ...

... anyone else have any thoughts they'd like to add?

HairyHeretic

I know we have some people interested in the genre. Not sure if there are any games running using it at present, but it wouldn't surprise me if there were.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Oniya

I had one started, but the other person disappeared.  I've also seen several threads with people ooh-ing over steam-punk-themed stuff.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Morven

I'm doing a somewhat steampunky story for this year's NaNo, though it's not entirely erotica.
NaNo word count: 50,180 (done with NaNo, but not with the story ...)
Ons & Offs (generalities and explanations) | New Ons & Offs (checklist) | Apologies & Absences

Saerrael

Quote from: westiex on October 19, 2009, 07:29:08 AM
I'm just wondering if anyone has any interest in the steampunk genre?

There are quite a few different genres out there that are more mainstream - Sci fi, Fantasy, Horror, but steampunk seems reserved for people who have dreams about airships and people dressed in victorian age clothing with funky steam powered gadgets.

I've run in one play by post game myself, seen a couple of differnet RPGs for it and actually seen some people cosplay for GenCon Oz this year, so its definitely out there in certain crowds ...

... anyone else have any thoughts they'd like to add?

Steampunk holds my interest. I'm afraid, however, that I don't know enough about it to truly contribute.

Morven

Quote from: Saerra on October 19, 2009, 08:04:55 PM
Steampunk holds my interest. I'm afraid, however, that I don't know enough about it to truly contribute.

Get three steampunk fans in a room and they'll have at least three opinions about what steampunk is or should be.
Ons & Offs (generalities and explanations) | New Ons & Offs (checklist) | Apologies & Absences

Saerrael

Quote from: Morven on October 19, 2009, 08:28:14 PM
Get three steampunk fans in a room and they'll have at least three opinions about what steampunk is or should be.

Very true. It's not exactly exact science ;)

Butterflykiss

*currently involved in a steampunk game, and loving it muchly~<3*

If you're interested in some steampunk music, I recommend the group Abney Park (check on YouTube). They've got some great steampunk songs. One in particular about Airship Pirates <3

Morven

Quote from: Blood Butterfly on October 19, 2009, 10:38:11 PM
*currently involved in a steampunk game, and loving it muchly~<3*

If you're interested in some steampunk music, I recommend the group Abney Park (check on YouTube). They've got some great steampunk songs. One in particular about Airship Pirates <3

I'd second that.  Also, if they're playing in your area, go and see them, they're worth looking at.  The lead singer is cute in a boyish, slightly round way and has spiky anime hair and wears a dashing adventurer's outfit, and the rest of the band is similarly done up.  With steampunk-look instruments -- glowing things on the electric violin, lots of brass scrollwork on the guitars, and steampunky stands for keyboard and microphone.  And at least one belly-dancer.

And then there's how the crowd will be done up—to the nines, generally.

Wilhiem

So as a curious question ... what is it that attract people to steampunk?

I have to admit for me most of my interest is in the airships. Granted 747 is a lot faster and will get you where you want to go before the airship can, but the latter is a lot more stately, a lot classier.

Oniya

I think it's the inherent dignity of the Victorian era, as well as a fascination with tiny moving parts - a little romantic retro from this age of integrated circuits.  There's also something appealing about an element of danger from experimental technology that doesn't quite work.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Morven

I love the technology of the Victorian era, the steam trains and steamships and massive engineering works, as well as the architecture.

Butterflykiss

Quote from: Oni on October 20, 2009, 08:16:42 AM
I think it's the inherent dignity of the Victorian era, as well as a fascination with tiny moving parts - a little romantic retro from this age of integrated circuits.  There's also something appealing about an element of danger from experimental technology that doesn't quite work.

I definitely agree with the Victorian aspect. It's all so elegant, and the words/terminology flow so intricately. Those small Victorian touches (politeness, mannerisms, fashion, etc.) make everything graceful and lovely.

Combine this with clockwork contraptions, metal monstrosities, and romantic, crazy adventures, and we have a recipe for fun.

I had a chance to dabble in a systems game designed for the steampunk genre, called "Castle Faulkenstein." It's very well organized and puts heavy emphasis on keeping it Victorian in feel. For example, instead of dice, players draw cards from a regular card deck to determine moves, etc.

HairyHeretic

Castle Falkenstein is a fun game. I've played it a bit in the past.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

DarklingAlice

Charles Babbage & Ada Lovelace
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, elegant, and wrong.

Raveled

Who doesn't love mad scientists, brass fittings, and airships?
O|O A|A Ideas

"Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All the people in the whole world. I mean everybody. No matter how boring or dull they are on the outside, inside them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, stupid, wonderful worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands, maybe." Neil Gaiman

Inkidu

I just don't like the term steampunk, I just group it with the lower-fantasy sub-genre. Of course, I think there are only two genres.

Poetry
Prose

Life is much more simple that way.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Morven

The solution to the problem that labels are never completely descriptive or accurate is not to remove labels altogether, though.  It's to realize that all of them describe fuzzy concepts, and to use more than one if they both fit.

Genre as applied in the book trade forces square pegs into round holes and creates homogeneity and hurts works that aren't squarely in the middle of those marketing creations.  However, genre as a description of "If you like stories like THESE, you might like THIS" is a useful concept that would be disadvantageous to lose.

Oniya

Quote from: Spookidu on October 20, 2009, 08:19:26 PM
I just don't like the term steampunk, I just group it with the lower-fantasy sub-genre. Of course, I think there are only two genres.

Poetry
Prose

Life is much more simple that way.

* Oni contemplates the idea of a poetry-genre RP.
* Oni is probably certifiable. 

Captain Maltese

I'm doing one steampunk story at the moment. It's a great genre. On last weekend's cosplay con I was dressed up as the captain of an airtimeship.

One of my chief inspirations are http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php

Posting status:  25th December: Up To Date 5 of 9 : last month 2, this month 5, total 38 posts for 2023.

O/O            Current stories

Will

Quote from: Oni on October 20, 2009, 11:06:26 PM
* Oni is probably certifiable. 

I must be certifiable too, because you've got me thinking about it now!

I love steampunk.  All that Victorian morality with the pent up frustration and perversion beneath... mmm, definitely.  Couple that with impossible technology and massive class divides, and you've got yourself a genre.  Loosely, anyway.
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Avis habilis

Quote from: Oni on October 20, 2009, 11:06:26 PM

Poetry only?
Then you'd have to deal with styles.
That sounds tough. Oh, wait ...

Wilhiem

Zepplins return to US

There are several companies that supply blimps RL today. The larger ones seem cargo orientated, rather then passenger though.

Oniya

As I recall, Abney Park actually performed on the maiden flight of one.

Morven

Heh, I wouldn't be surprised!

I can second the recommendation of Girl Genius, though with the caveat that it's on the magical, fantasy end of steampunk, rather than the sci-fi / alternate history end.  I think the creators call it "Gaslamp Fantasy".