Interest Check: The Magicians RP Still accepting characters!!!

Started by El Maligno, February 05, 2017, 02:53:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Maligno

Hello all i hope this post finds you in a good mood. If not perhaps we can make your day better?

I would like to see if there is enough interest out here to spark a game loosely based on The Magicans book and or show. You do not need to know anything at all as there will be plenty of help given to even the newest of members or if you have netflix you can catch up that way.

Anyways this group game will be called The Magicans:Labyrinth of Discord. We will start off at school and work our way to our main set up and just because you see the word Labyrinth don't think you know right off what this will mean just yet.

Now as you can guess magic will be in this rp. For now the battle system will be a freeflowing sort of system unless we can't keep the godmodding from taking control. It will mostly be sandbox with a few events going a different times where you awesome writers will affect the out comes in more than one way based on your actions or inaction.

To keep things simple the specialties of magic will be the following:

Physical: ability to manipulate matter, levitating objects or oneself, Telekinesis, manipulation of light.

Natural magic: the manipulation of the natural elements especially plant life.

Illusions: the conjuration of false images, hallucinations and even memories.

Healing: curing of wounds, diseases and other injuries.

Psychic: the breaching and manipulation of the mind.

This is just a small taste as i wanted to see if the interest is here so please give me a sound off if you like this!

Bekah Boo

El Maligno

Quote from: Bekah Boo on February 05, 2017, 04:25:16 PM
Tentatively curious *pokes head in*

Will be glad to have you. Also i forgot to add that all peoples are welcomed to this game so long as you respect one another.

AribethAmkiir

Is the game going to be a dark as the show? 

firepyre

Tentatively interested. I'd love to see a bit more information. Would we be students, or would faculty and hedge witches, etc, be allowed as well?

El Maligno

Quote from: AribethAmkiir on February 05, 2017, 05:20:36 PM
Is the game going to be a dark as the show?

Yes as and as my name implies it will likely be darker if you all allow it. But yes this will not always be a happily ever after story

El Maligno

Quote from: firepyre on February 05, 2017, 05:29:33 PM
Tentatively interested. I'd love to see a bit more information. Would we be students, or would faculty and hedge witches, etc, be allowed as well?

Right now depending on the interest just students and hedge witches for now. If a greater number of people bite then yes faulty and i intend for someone (meaning one of you and not myself) to play as a well known or legendary Magician

Bekah Boo

Gateman

Love the show, so I'm interested. One thing though, we'll be doing OCs, right? I hate playing canon characters

El Maligno

Yes original characters would be the plan

Gateman

El Maligno

Bekah Boo

Are you going to have a character sheet we can work off on?
I'm just super curious and excited really ;3

El Maligno

Quote from: Bekah Boo on February 10, 2017, 07:57:12 PM
Are you going to have a character sheet we can work off on?
I'm just super curious and excited really ;3

Yes I am going to set an example on here with my own. Anyone else interested please be on the look out

El Maligno

Player Name:El Maligno

-Name:Adrian King
-Nationality:American born and raised speaks English however due to his live in nanny being the one to raise him he can speak some spanish though he is not fluent.

-Appearance: Adrian stands at 5 feet 11 inches with a slim, but strong athletic build. He is not overly muscular though keeps himself in very good shape for both sports and girls. Not being a powerhouse, he has the body of a runner. His blonde slightly curly hair is usually kept short so as not to interfere with his shooting ability for basketball or getting into his eyes when he runs during football season. He has warm Green/Blue eyes and usually has a slight tan. Adrian has a favorite faded pair of "lucky" jeans that he likes to wear usually with a nice t-shirt or button up. 

-Car:
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

-Orientation: Straight

-Relationship status: Single

-Personality: Adrian is the type of person who tries his best to see the bright side of things. Trying to keep a positive outlook on life in general helps him cope with the growing feeling of loneliness due to the negligent attitude of his father. He is not yet depressed thanks to the help of some great friends and his live in nanny Gloria who loves him like a son. Always trying to be the positive and motivating voice in the group Adrian is a great team player both in and outside of sports he does not see himself as a leader more like a support system for the team as a whole. He is very outgoing and likes to have fun with his friends whenever he can though sometimes he might be too focused on trying to earn his father's approval.

-Power: Adrian has the power of Telekinesis or in other words the power to manipulate objects with the mind.

Magical Classification: 1st year Physical Kid; Magician

Basic History:  Adrian was born to Robert and Elisa King, and for a few years they were a happy picture perfect family. Robert's career as a news anchor however took off with a jump start that caused him to become some what of a minor celebrity thanks to his handsome looks and his charm he shone both on and off camera. It was this spark of success however that would end up tearing the family apart. Living high on his "fame" and success he became addicted to his cell phone making and maintaining important work connections/relationships, as well as becoming obsessed with slowing down time so he could keep his looks.

It was after many fights and many nights being left alone that Elisa King would pack her things up and leave. Her last words to Gloria their live-in nanny were that she was sorry that she couldn't take Adrian with her. What that meant or why she couldn't take him lives solely with her, wherever she is. With his mother gone and his father busy living his life Adrian was left to be raised by Gloria who loved him and brought him up as if he were her own son. While Adrian did get the things he needed to survive thanks to his father's well paying job Adrian soon began to starve for one thing his father didn't think was necessary. His attention. It soon dawned on Adrian that his father was too busy with his own "life" that he couldn't or wouldn't take the time needed in order to be a parent. It was Gloria who read to him at night, it was Gloria who helped him with his homework. It was Gloria who watched him when he played sports or was in the spelling bee or did anything. This is how his life has been ever since he could remember. In an attempt to grab his father's attention for more than a few sentences Adrian decided he'd make it so that his father couldn't ignore him. Being unruly at school caught attention really fast...the downside was that it was not very constructive.

It wasn't until Gloria sat him down and had a long talk to him about how he was hurting himself more doing bad things to get attention than doing good and shining so bright his father couldn't help but notice him. From that day on Adrian made a pact with himself to try and shine in all things that he attempted even if he wasn't good he'd try his best and get good even if it was through pure stubbornness. It helped him get good grades though he had to study hard. It helped him in sports where he practiced as much as he could to try and become a star. It also made him appreciate the friends he made, it made him value them much more than normal. He took on party tricks small slight of hand tricks a few card tricks to break the ice. He began an interest in magic once he entered 7th grade. It was a s!mall hobby but one that he would take great delight in though he never really let anyone see juat how much he actually enjoyted it. All through his highschool years he would slowly work on these small tricks.

As of yet nothing he has done has really captured his father's attention. That all changed when he was intercepted at an interview where he was thrown into the new magical world at Brakebills. He was amazed and surprised that such an amazing thing like magic was real. Despite at first thinking it must have been a mistake of some sorts for him to be there Adrian's powers were forcefully brought to the open by the unorthodox means of Dean Stein. It was here that Adrian learned he was telekinetic and would remember a few instances in his life where his powers had indeed manifested before. Feeling awed and invigorated at the prospect of learning something new, amazing and magical Adrian finds himself wanting to learn and explore all that he can of this new found world he never knew existed. While not as well versed in the magical arts as some he has a vast reserve of hidden potential.  And now with a big chance here at Brakebills to start new friendships he wonders if he could make a name for himself here in the future.

El Maligno

OK this is an example you !may create it however you like as pong as it has the following information. I chose !y character to have had a "normal" life before this but that is your choice to make. Also please no one above year 2 as we will have a time skip or two once a certain event changes our lives.

Please let me know if there is something you think is needed. Also if you want characters can know one another before all of this happens or we could be new friends its all up to you.

Revna

Also interested. Please give me about 2ish days for my character sheet. Do we pm you our sheet?

El Maligno

Quote from: Wicked Emi on February 11, 2017, 06:28:02 AM
Also interested. Please give me about 2ish days for my character sheet. Do we pm you our sheet?

You may post them on here if you would like

El Maligno

Revna

Player Name:Wicked Emi

-Name: Cait Flynn
-Nationality: While she is born in America, her whole family; mother, father, aunts, uncles, grandparents and beyond, are all from Ireland and is a mix of Irish and English. Cait was the first American born child in her family.

-Appearance: Cait is short at only five feet and two inches. Her body is on the slimmer side, however, with D cup breasts, wider hips, and thicker thighs, she weighs between 110-125 pounds. Depending on water weight and other natural body things. She does have some muscle as she does enjoy light jogging, swimming, and dancing. All giving her stronger legs and toned stomach. Even with this though, Cait loves her hour-glass figure and having bigger thighs and hips is fine with her. Her arms are not the strongest and somewhat thin, but not unhealthily so.

-Car:

-Personality: Cait is caring and wants to help people, that being said, if you're an asshole to her. Expect a hell cat to put you back in your place. She is, for the most part, a very "Irish woman". While loving and motherly, she is also quick the anger and will attack, verbally or otherwise, if she feels threatened. Cait is somewhat sarcastic, she mainly means to joke around, but it can come out rather sarcastic. Also, she has a tendency to be a big flirt, even when she doesn't mean to. If something is bugging Cait, you will know it. She has no problem speaking her mind and being bluntly honest with people. Lastly, if she does actually like you. You will know. Once she actually likes someone she will tease them and use a lot of sexual innuendos.

-Power: Botanokinesis (Basically, she can manipulate plants. Think a less evil version of Poison Ivy)

Magical Classification: 1st year Nature Kid; Magician

Basic History: For the most part; Cait had a very normal life. She grew up in a normal home, her parents still in love, she had two brothers and even though they were in America, her parents kept the Irish still in them. Irish food, religion, household, ideals. Everything Irish and used almost nothing but Irish products. Which was easy since she lived in San Francisco, California. While not a TON of Irish people, they still had an Irish neighborhood. Her family used to do everything together until one day. They were all at the beach and a sneaker wave hit the beach. Bringing random wood and even a dead shark. It hit the beach hard and before the family could react, before anyone could react, the wave drew back and took the wood, the dead shark, and Cait's two brothers and a few other people for that matter.

Cait went into a spiral after that. Turning more into a "bad" girl, wearing sultry clothes, going clubbing, and generally making her life worse. While clubbing and going to parties, she witnessed even more bad things. Even a girl overdosing while everyone danced away. Which only made it worse. What finally "broke" her and made her have magical abilities was watching her best friend die from choking on her own vomit. Cait then became very lost and used sarcastic remarks and sassy attitude to cover her pain.

(Let me know if I need to change anything)

CuriousEyes

Could be interested. Are you modeling more after the books or the show?

And while I don't think I want to play one, in the interest of being aware, are Travelers an option or would you consider them too OP?

Bekah Boo

Sorry I'm almost done with my profile ;3

Phoenixrisen

Player Name:Phoenixrisen

-Name:Sarah Hamilton
-Nationality: Texan

-Appearance: Sarah is five foot, six inches tall, and tends towards the curvy side, and she's very fond of her glasses, she likes to hide behind them. Her hair is long, wavy, and white blonde during the sunny months, growing out with a bit more color when the sun  is hidden away.  Sarah's eyes are a mutable grey, and tend to pick up the color of her surrounds or her clothes, when they're not hiding behind her hair.

-Car:

-Personality: Sarah tends to hide a great deal, be it behind a pretty smile and almost annoying optimism, her hair, or that tree over there. That said, she's unfailingly courteous, and always willing to pitch in a hand for even the dirtiest of jobs. After all, why be nasty when she can tell you to go fuck yourself in the sweetest possible ways. For all that she's more of an introvert, Sarah is sociable enough, so long as you don't make her the center of attention.

-Power: Sarah is a healer.

Magical Classification: 1st year Healing Kid; Magician

Basic History:  Sarah grew up on a ranch in Central Texas, where she was drawn to animals when they were at their sickest, and with time and care, they always got better. The adopted daughter of Micheal and Rachel Dermot, she wanted for little, and was raised in a happy home. She started running into more issues as she grew older. Constant wonder about who her real parents were, why they didn't want her. These thoughts were only accelerated when Micheal, the only father she had ever known, had an accident when he was out with the cattle. She found him, but it was too late. There was nothing she could do. He in her arms. After that things were never quite the same, Rachel became more distant, and there were murmurs from the community that perhaps Sarah had had something to do with his death. Without her mother to shelter her, Sarah began to realize how different she actually was from the others of her peer group, and she truly began to with draw. Then came Brakebills, and a chance to start over somewhere new. Somewhere no one knew her, and no one blamed her for a death she could not stop.

(Angsty I know, but as I recall angst and tragedy are required to make the magic work... If there's anything that you would like amended, let me know.)
~A full heart has room for all things, an empty heart room for nothing.~
PM's and Discord messages always welcome.
New folks friendly.

Write a love story with me? Updated 3/30
Curious how to fan the flames?
Updated 9/21

Bekah Boo

Player Name: Bekah Boo

-Name: Juliet Denuare
-Nationality: American through and through

-Appearance: At barely 5 feet Juliet looks fragile and delicate her slim build hardly anything as it often gives her a much younger appearance than she actually is, the small whittle of her hips and bust suiting her slender frame. Dark hair cut in a medium bob length she often nervously tucks her flowing tresses behind her ears when in stress, her bright blue eyes wide and innocent like a doe as she appears meek and timid at all times.

-Car:

-Relationship status:
Single (It's complicated)

-Personality: Juliet is a very timid and withdrawn girl who is more comfortable with her face buried in a book than interacting with those around her. Not to say she isn't kind when she is engaged, more so she is very particular with her wording and can become quite unnerved if she feels she is imposing or making a fool of herself. Though once she does find those she can trust or become more comfortable around Juliet is known to be quite loyal, bending over backwards for those who mean the world to her as friendships she manages not to botch up she cherishes greatly. Usually quiet Juliet is often seen nervously twirling her hair between her fingertips, as most of her conversations are through a patches of stuttering due to her bashful nature.

-Power: Illusions, Premonitions (Only in small snippets), Memory tampering (On small scales)

Magical Classification: 1st year Illusionist

Basic History:
Juliet has always been considered far too fragile for her own good even at a young age, the 'miracle' child for excited parents who had been on the verge of giving up on having a family all together.For years Juliet's parents had tried and with each momentary joy they were soon crushed by miscarriage after miscarriage, her mother growing more depressed and distant with each tragedy as it took all of her husband's energy to continue forward. At last they managed to have a child of their own as the parents were quite blessed and no doubt ecstatic of their little bundle of joy, though that delight would soon wane as the need to protect their daughter overshadowed everything else in their life. From birth until Juliet was ten she was constantly under the watch of her overbearing parents, the lovely child their only flesh and blood as they coddled and fussed over each and everything the girl did in order to make sure no ill effects fell over her. This put a distinct damper on Juliet's life as she found herself playing alone for most of her childhood, as her parent's feared due to her fragile and delicate frame she was not fit to play with overexcited others, so instead her world was filled with books and arts of all kinds. Each day the girl would busy herself with any form of creative outlet she could whether it was painting, writing, or even sculpting in clay, Juliet adored it all and her craft grew with each and every passing day; until her 12th birthday.

On the morning of Juliet's birthday the girl woke with a shudder as she found herself in front of her well worn canvas, small hands stained with the inky blackness of charcoal as she was bewildered how she had found herself before her canvas considering the last memory she had before sleeping had been in her bed. Curious she looked at the scene painted before her with a shock, the sketch of her parents huddled over a still form wrapped in their arms frightening the small girl as she took a step closer only to realize that she was the image within the art itself. This would be Juliet's first brush with her natural gift that lay within her as the following day a nasty tumble from an rickety swing left the birthday girl with a concussion, the very scene she had sketched in her half asleep form coming true. Desperate for answers once Juliet had recovered she did all she could to read about premonitions and the arts alike, her obsession growing as she found herself compelled that this had been the truth all along, that she was indeed much different than those around her.

Against her parent's wishes Juliet wanted to seek out more truth and answers to her gift, as the institute called Brakebills had come up within the now lovely teenager's research, her quest to understand herself leading her to her new goal in life as she sought to learn all that she could.

El Maligno

Quote from: CuriousEyes on February 11, 2017, 08:54:33 PM
Could be interested. Are you modeling more after the books or the show?

And while I don't think I want to play one, in the interest of being aware, are Travelers an option or would you consider them too OP?

Travelers will be an option yes if you so choose to play one. However they will have to earn their power. What i mean is mastery won't be easy for them. Not saying the rest of the powers will be easy but this one will be hardest.

As for how this will be leaning more towards i am in the middle really it will have elements of both but i have an original plot as well as an orignial setting in mind for the main story though we all start in brakebills even the hedges to which i explain in my opening intro for our game once we start