News:

Main Menu

FIFA World Cup 2014

Started by consortium11, May 12, 2014, 10:28:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deamonbane

First half Brazil. A hiccup on that first play, but after that, Brazil battered the Croatian defense... let's just hope that they hold it for the second half...
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

consortium11

I think the eventual scoreline somewhat flattered Brazil; that was never a penalty, on first viewing it looked like Modric was fouled in the buildup to the third, the Croatian goalie will be disappointed in not saving the second two goals and I'm not entirely sure why the whistle was blown just prior to the Croatian "goal" in the second half.

Brazil were still the better team and if one team deserved the win it was likely them. That said, there were clearly some flaws there. Dani Alvez has never been defensively solid and it was notable how many of the Croatian attacks came into space on his flank, especially on the counter. Likewise the relative creative weakness of the team showed through... of the starting 11 only really Neymar and Oscar can be labeled as creative and because of that it was hard for them to bring their wingers into play. Likewise, for all of Neymar's ability to create magic his end product can often be lacking... there were a lot of misplaced passes and running into cul-de-sacs.

I shouldn't be entirely negative however. This was a real banana skin, especially after going 1-0 down and Brazil came back admirably. On paper this was the hardest match of the group stage and so Brazil have two softer matches to try to work out the defensive and offensive kinks before the first knockout rounds.

Phobetor

Thank Goodness for Neymar lol cause he kinda saved the day.

Brasil did good. I felt like they kinda got...too clumsy on the second half but they clearly recovered.

I'm pleased with the way they played, Croatia proved to be a pretty good team to start the World Cup with. :)
Not Available for new Stories.
Taking a break from E.

Deamonbane

Over the Penalty... it didn't exist, I agree, but I don't blame the ref for calling it. You know, besides actually liking the result, you can see the Croatian played placing hand on Fred's shoulder and, Fred feeling it and seeing that he lost control of the ball, dropped in the hopes that the ref would go for it, and he did. My heart jumped to my throat when the goalie touched Neymar's ball....

As for the third goal... the ref had lost control of the game, and he had overlooked similar fouls by the Croatians.

In my opinion, Mexico will be a tougher match for Brazil. But that's just bad dreams from the Olympic Gold match...

But anyways.... BRASIL BRASIL! OLE OLE OLE OLA! O NEYMAR VAI TE PEGAR!
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

pleaseteaseme

Never a penalty.

Croatian goalkeeper was terrible though, he should have saved all 3 goals.

Phobetor

Quote from: pleaseteaseme on June 12, 2014, 05:38:49 PM
Croatian goalkeeper was terrible though, he should have saved all 3 goals.

I don't think he was horrible, quite the contrary, he was saving goals left and right, in my opinion.
Taking a break from E.

Nico

Quote from: Deamonbane on June 12, 2014, 05:17:26 PM

But anyways.... BRASIL BRASIL! OLE OLE OLE OLA! O NEYMAR VAI TE PEGAR!
Yep. Neymar rocks. (and he's not even terrible to look at :P )

Remiel

Yep, Neymar was clearly the man of the match, even though Brazil was, in a word, lucky.  Lucky that the Croatian strikers could never seem to be on the same page, lucky that Pletikosa failed to stop two certainly stoppable goals, and, of course, the penalty(ies).    Still, I'm happy with the result, as the host country was clearly the better team.  I'm also glad to see that Marcelo shook off his own goal and went on to do some solid defending.

Aleph

Quote from: Nicholas on June 12, 2014, 11:37:08 PM
Yep. Neymar rocks. (and he's not even terrible to look at :P )

*grin* Sorry, I look at him and think 'half-sucked mango stone'. That said, the first Brazilian goal he put in was a masterful piece of work. There wasn't an inch of free space either side of that ball.

kylie

Quote from: consortium11
I think the eventual scoreline somewhat flattered Brazil; that was never a penalty, on first viewing it looked like Modric was fouled in the buildup to the third, the Croatian goalie will be disappointed in not saving the second two goals and I'm not entirely sure why the whistle was blown just prior to the Croatian "goal" in the second half.
A lot of stuff I was gonna say...  I really don't understand calling it when the goalie hasn't clearly been whacked hard and can't hold onto the ball, particularly when both hands have made contact and had a chance before most of the impact (whatever little impact?) even occurred.

I sort of expected Brazil to come out with a more impressive win, and their defense looked patchy.  I think they will have a hard time later.  (But then, I like underdogs.  :P )  They had good ball handling and a great ability to bring out later bursts of energy on the offense.  And apart from the dive-penalty, the goals were very colorful to watch.  I'm tempted to say maybe a bit lucky they both found the very edge of the box, but hey it takes some real skill to take those chances too. 

Croatia couldn't seem to get quite enough solid chances in front of the goal (I won't rub on so much about simple possession time).  They made some great efforts at cherry picking, and put up a pretty good defense until they were down.  I think they are probably justified to fume about the refereeing; they might have had some chance at a draw or better.

consortium11

Yet more terrible refereeing/linesmanning (is that even a word) in the Mexico/Cameroon match. Mexico should be 1-0 up by now.

The last world cup was ruined by poor refereeing... not just the obvious big decisions like the "ghost goal" in Germany/England or de Jong not getting sent off in the final but lots of little decisions that were clearly wrong... I hope this one doesn't go the same way.

Aleph

The MEXvCMR game has been much more fun to watch than BRAvCRO, constant bedlam in the penalty box is a fun thing.

consortium11

Holy shit.

Blatantly incorrect offside decision again. From the same linesman. That's twice he's screwed Mexico out of deserved goals.

Aleph

Disagree, having watched 4 replays in slow motion, I'm not sure how the linesman could have called otherwise. I think he did well to recognise the first header before Dos Santos got to it.

Deamonbane

2 x 0 Mexico in my mind now...

consortium11

Quote from: Aleph on June 13, 2014, 11:34:46 AM
Disagree, having watched 4 replays in slow motion, I'm not sure how the linesman could have called otherwise. I think he did well to recognise the first header before Dos Santos got to it.

The first (and only) header was by a Cameroon player.

consortium11

On replay those decisions are even worse. The linesman was in a perfect position both times and both times he made the obviously wrong call.

Touch wood this is just a blip but it's not a positive start to the tournament as a whole.

Aleph

Ugh, you're right, I just saw it again.

Still disagree with you about the replay though, if the linesman had the luxury of the replay, then he'd have no excuse.

Aleph

Phobetor

Oh my god that's awesome! <3
Taking a break from E.

consortium11

Aleph

Are you folks watching getting the goal-line technology confirmation that it was a goal? It's mildly ridiculous.

pleaseteaseme

Yeah, they showed it after Marcelo's own goal last night too.

Think they've just spent all this money on the technology so they simply have to use it.  XD

ThePrince

Spain better not screw this up, I have money on them.

Of course it's mmo currency, but still.
RP Request Thread
O/O's
I am what I am. I am my own special creation.
So come take a look, Give me the hook or the ovation.
It's my world that I want to have a little pride in.
It's my world and it's not a place I have to hide in.
Life ain't worth a dam till you can say I am what I am.

Remiel

I'm very glad Mexico got the win.  They deserved it, since definitely one, and possibly two, goals were taken away from them.

Remiel's man of the match: Giovanni Dos Santos.