[Numenera]Interest Check - Post apocalypse science-fantasy, all players welcome!

Started by Galactic Druid, March 03, 2015, 11:17:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Galactic Druid

Confirmed players:

Urbanzorro (jack)
Aiyanna (glaive)
CeruleanSerenity (jack)
Darkling (nano)
Re Z L (deciding)

That's a good team right there!
A/As last updated 11/27 - Halfway past busy season!

Aiyanna

Quote from: ThatRPGuy on March 12, 2015, 09:13:32 AM
Confirmed players:

Urbanzorro (jack)
Aiyanna (glaive)
CeruleanSerenity (jack)
Darkling (nano)
Re Z L (deciding)

That's a good team right there!

Hmmm, only glaive in the party so far? The fox girl shall RULE!!!!

j/k, she's more the strong, silent type
When you message me, please use the same message thread every time.
Ideas
O/o's

Galactic Druid

The great thing about Numenera is that characters can be so diverse, a lack of Glaives doesn't necessarily mean a lack of fighters.

Characters in this game can be amazingly diverse within the same class, I was marveling at that while Aiyanna and I were working on her character. If you described her character and mine without using the word "glaive", you'd never know we were the same class.

Aiyanna

Quote from: ThatRPGuy on March 12, 2015, 12:31:51 PM
The great thing about Numenera is that characters can be so diverse, a lack of Glaives doesn't necessarily mean a lack of fighters.

Characters in this game can be amazingly diverse within the same class, I was marveling at that while Aiyanna and I were working on her character. If you described her character and mine without using the word "glaive", you'd never know we were the same class.

Yes, dear, I was being a smartass, since the book says glaives are normally the leaders, lol
Ideas
O/o's

ChaoticSky

Aiyanna

Updated character sheet!

Quote from: BaronessAiyanna on March 11, 2015, 07:52:29 PM
Name:Naomi

I am a Graceful Glaive who Moves like a cat.

Damage Track: Hale

Might: 13/13
Might Edge: 1

Speed: 17/17
Speed Edge: 1

Intelligence: 10/10
Int Edge: 0

Armor: Leather Armor(1 Armor Point)

Effort Level: 1

Weapons and Damage:
-Unarmed: 4 Damage
-Sash Whip: 2 Damage

Abilities
- Practiced in armor - penalties reduced by 2
- Practiced in All Weapons
- Pierce
- Needs No Weapons

Skills
- Speed Defense Actions (Trained)
- Balancing (Specialized)
- Sneak (Trained)
- Performance, dance, or Martial arts (Trained)
- Climbing (Trained)

Connection:
1. Pick one other PC. Their occasional clumsiness and loud behavior irritates you.
2. Pick one other PC. This character comes from the same place you do, and you knew each other as children.
3. Pick one other PC. You aid her with advice and a helping hand when she needs it. Anytime the two of you are next to each other, the difficulty of balancing, climbing, and jumping tasks is decreased by one step for her.
4. Pick one other PC. He owes you 10 shins.

Equipment and items:
-Leather Armor (light, very soft and supple)
-Grappling Hook
-Basic Supplies (food and water)
-Sash Whip
(Watch video at the bottom for demonstration)

Artifacts and Oddities:

Backstory:

Naomi came from a tribe of wanderers. Her family in particular were merchants, who bought and traded and sold numenera that adventurers brought them, as well as the goods that the tribe produced. She never intended to be a warrior, she was good with numbers and had the free spirit, so she was going to follow in the family business. Until an adventurer traded a device to the family for some food and a new piece of armor. The device was thought to be a mere oddity, but was in fact a cypher. Naomi was carrying it back to her family's tent, to be examined later, when someone stepped in to her path, and they collided. The basket Naomi was carrying fell to the ground along with her, and the device fell out to be smashed under her palm. The jagged metal edges cut her skin, leaving her vulnerable to the sluggish black liquid flowing out of the broken device.

The accident caused a scene, as Naomi soon collapsed after being exposed to the liquid, but a quick-thinking Nano was able to stop anyone else from being exposed. Naomi was taken to the tent to be watched over, but there was nothing anyone could do for her. She was wracked by fever, and in rare moments of lucidity, all the young girl could tell her parents was that her head and back hurt.

Over a month later, the girl emerged from her family's tent a new person, and people realized she had fallen victim to a piece of numenera. Strange red markings had appeared on her pale skin, and her brown eyes had turned red. Midnight black hair was now streaked with purple and white. To top it off, her ears had grown fur and changed shape, while a bushy white tail now sprouted from the top of her tailbone and brushed her ankles. With the cosmetic changes came more speed, and a bit more strength, and Naomi no longer looked to a future as a merchant, but as a Glaive. Her family was supportive, and made sure she made it to a group of unarmed Glaives who could train her in fighting styles that suited her new mindset and abilities.

After meeting them, Naomi lived with the Glaives permanently, only visiting her family a few times a year. As she got in to her teen years, she began going on adventures herself, mostly protecting wanderers like her family's tribe. She acquired a bit of a reputation as fighter who wasn't so much strong, but moved like a blur, and she wouldn't charge a fortune for her services, just the basics that she needed to survive, and occasionally something the wanderers came across that might be useful.

Sash Whip Inspiration/Demonstration
The video shows a sash whip using two blunt weights on the end. My character's version will have a metal dart on one end and a loop on the other. It is about 20 feet long, and is strong enough to be used to help with climbing or any use you might have for a 20 foot piece of rope.
Ideas
O/o's

Galactic Druid

Well guys, how does everyone feel about getting started soon? I'll roll up some Cyphers tonight, and let you guys consider your PC connections. No rules on those, but please try and make sure no one is left out.

Re Z L

Phew, finally figured something out, now I just need a backstory...

Soul

I am a Graceful Jack who Fights with Panache.

Damage Track: Hale

Might: 12/12
Might Edge: 0

Speed: 16/16
Speed Edge: 1

Intelligence: 10/10
Int Edge: 0

Armor: 0

Effort Level: 1

Weapons and Damage:
-Quarterstaff (Medium Bashing/4)
-Razor Ring (Light Ranged/2)
-Jeweled Knife (Light Bladed/2)
-Unarmed (Light Bashing/2)

Cyphers:
-Comprehension Graft (occulctic cypher, counts as 2): A small metalic disk that when applied to a creature's head, releases microfiliments that make their way into the brain. Within five minutes, the creature will be able to understand a speficic language keyed to the graft. The effect is permanent. Once activated, the cypher no longer counts against the total number of bearable cyphers.

Skills and Inabilities:
-Balancing
-Careful Movement
-Physical Performing Arts
-Speed Defense
-Climbing

Special Moves, Abilities, and Esoteries:
-[E] Flex Skill
-[E] Practiced with Light/Medium Weapons
-[E] Agile
-[E] Attack Flourish
-[A] Bash (1M)
-[E] Skilled with Defense (Might)

Equipment and items:
-Explorer's Pack
-Pack of Light Tools
-Stylish Clothes
-8 shins

Artifacts and Oddities:
-A cup that instantly boils any liquid poured into it.

Backstory:

Connections:
-Pick one other PC. You’re always trying to impress this character with your skill, wit, appearance, or bravado. Perhaps she is a rival, perhaps you need her respect, or perhaps you’re romantically interested in her.
-Prove to the rest of the party that Kat is really a pair of identical twins, despite what they all think.  Side-goal:  become as good as Kat at conning people.

-There is reward involved, and you need the money.
A&A

Galactic Druid

Looks great, Z!

Just to confirm a couple if things real fast:

- Are you certain you want your edge in speed? Just checking since you have actions that cost might.

- since you're not taking the trained without armor for the defense roll bonus, you may want to consider some light armor. It won't cost you much, and will soak a point of damage per hit.

Re Z L

Quote from: ThatRPGuy on March 14, 2015, 05:47:33 PM
Looks great, Z!

Just to confirm a couple if things real fast:

- Are you certain you want your edge in speed? Just checking since you have actions that cost might.

- since you're not taking the trained without armor for the defense roll bonus, you may want to consider some light armor. It won't cost you much, and will soak a point of damage per hit.

The Fights with Panache abilities all key off of Speed, so I think I want it in that...  I'm still pretty new to the system so I may not be understanding exactly.  Can I reallocate it later?  I assume I get more as time goes by so I may want to have it in Might at this level and then just add more to speed later...

Graceful gives me Speed defense training, which I would also get if I took the "trained without armor" Trick.  To stick with a more un-armored fighter motiff I figured instead of getting armor (and also trained with armor) I'd just grab the Might defense training.  Maybe I'm understanding things wrong though.
A&A

Galactic Druid

Each category is basically a different kind of defense action. Most physical attacks, from swords to beams will be a speed defense action to dodge.

Let's say you fail that action, however, and end up hit by a poison dart or grappled by an enemy. That's when you'll make a night defense, to resist the poison or break free.

Int defense rolls are rare, but could happen if you go up against the right foe...

Generally speaking, with the exception of specific attacks, damage is taken in might, if possible.

Galactic Druid

Alright, so all we need are PC connections, and to start a thread!

Do you guys want to start off as a team, perhaps you've been hunting numenera together for a while now, and so on, or would you rather start on separate paths and come together?

Urbanzorro

I'm a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

Aiyanna

Quote from: ThatRPGuy on March 15, 2015, 10:56:25 AM

Do you guys want to start off as a team, perhaps you've been hunting numenera together for a while now, and so on, or would you rather start on separate paths and come together?

I think separate paths would be fun! Give us a bit of time for character development, and then we can make our PC connections more genuine :) I need to talk to someone about one of mine, the one about another character coming from the same place as mine. Not sure how that would work out, with us having such diverse characters!
Ideas
O/o's

Galactic Druid

Darkling, I believe I remember giving you your starting Cyphers, possibly over PM. If I didn't, please let me know.

Aiyanna, your Cyphers:

Level 4 Intellect Enhancement
An adhesive patch that activates when pressed to skin, adds 1 to your Int Edge for 1 hour.

Level 6 Retaliation Nodule
Crystal nodule, activates by being affixed to armor. For the next 28 hours, anyone striking you takes 1 point of shock damage (no roll required.)

Your Oddity: A pendant that appears black during the day, and sky blue at night.

CeruleanSerenity:

Level 3 Motion Sensor
A small disk that can be affixed to a surface, that indicates any movement within a short range (up to 50 feet), or any large creature within a long range (up to 100 feet). Also indicates the number and size of creatures it detects.

Level 6 Visual Displacement Device
A bracelet that protects images of the wearer to confuse attackers, providing an asset to speed defense actions (1 step easier) for 10 minutes.

Your Oddity:  A crystal that shatters easily, but instantly reforms.

Re Z L:

Comprehension Graft (occulctic cypher, counts as 2): A small metalic disk that when applied to a creature's head, releases microfiliments that make their way into the brain. Within five minutes, the creature will be able to understand a speficic language keyed to the graft. The effect is permanent. Once activated, the cypher no longer counts against the total number of bearable cyphers.

Your Oddity: A cup that instantly boils any liquid poured into it.

Galactic Druid

A few resources to go over;

Here's a map of the world, which has been compressed into a single, large continent (as far as humanity in this time knows).
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Here's a more detailed map of everything west of the black ridge, The two kingdoms, including The Steadfast, where the PCs are starting, specificcally, Thriest, in the mideastern part of the map.
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Lastly, Here's a quick rundown of the 9 kingdoms that make up the shaky alliance of the Steadfast. I'll be going into more detail as we play, but a primer never hurts.

None of this is required reading, just things I thought might help visualize the setting a bit more.

Galactic Druid

I almost forgot to mention this; pieces of numenera are easily exchanged, traded, sold, or even discarded, so if you guys want to swap, that's fine. If you decide something new is more desirable than what you have, you can easily ditch it for your new cypher, and so on.

Aiyanna

Quote from: ThatRPGuy on March 16, 2015, 10:45:50 AM
I almost forgot to mention this; pieces of numenera are easily exchanged, traded, sold, or even discarded, so if you guys want to swap, that's fine. If you decide something new is more desirable than what you have, you can easily ditch it for your new cypher, and so on.

Yeah, cuz Naomi is lookin at this int thing like 'whaaat?'
Ideas
O/o's

ChaoticSky

Woopse, forgot, added them. Fixed it now. Ill trade my blink nodual if anyone has anything weird/interesting/inty they wanna offer up?  ;D

CeruleanSerenity

Quote from: ThatRPGuy on March 15, 2015, 10:56:25 AM

Sorry about the silence, especially after saying I hoped to finish it up tomorrow... I've been busy, and this game just kept slipping my mind. Do I just need to choose one Connection for one PC, or is it one for each PC?

And either way is all right with me. I might lean a little towards starting as a team... but I'm not picky.

Galactic Druid

The big advantage of starting together is getting to the actual game and arcs I have written out sooner, but a lot of people enjoy playing out how they meet, so I thought I'd offer a choice. I can always use intrusion if needed, as well.

Anyway, if you look at your "PC connections tab" under your focus, there's a handful of them for you, one person owes you money, one you're trying to impress if I remember, and so on. All I'm really looking for right now is a quick and easy response to them. "___ owes me shins, I'm trying to impress __," and so on.

CeruleanSerenity

Okay. Filled the Connections and backstory in... apologies if I'm doing anything wrong; I have been feeling off and not sleeping well recently. I'm not quite certain my brain is working right at the moment (more than usual).

My Focus said to pick one of the listed Connections, so I went with the one that seemed most entertaining, and linked it with the character I had a hunch it would fit best... but I can always change it, if anyone wants. The second one is her link to the adventure, though I wasn't sure if we would need that...

I was thinking Kat's father left to become an Aeon Priest, but I don't know the setting too well... so I thought I would leave the details behind events vague and generally up to you.

But I'm in a hurry so I have to rush off... sorry for any typos or anything. I wanted to put it up now while I have the chance, for feedback and in case I did anything wrong, but I'll have to proofread the backstory and things properly later.

Re Z L

Quote from: CeruleanSerenity on March 18, 2015, 04:36:52 PM
Okay. Filled the Connections and backstory in... apologies if I'm doing anything wrong; I have been feeling off and not sleeping well recently. I'm not quite certain my brain is working right at the moment (more than usual).

My Focus said to pick one of the listed Connections, so I went with the one that seemed most entertaining, and linked it with the character I had a hunch it would fit best... but I can always change it, if anyone wants. The second one is her link to the adventure, though I wasn't sure if we would need that...

I was thinking Kat's father left to become an Aeon Priest, but I don't know the setting too well... so I thought I would leave the details behind events vague and generally up to you.

But I'm in a hurry so I have to rush off... sorry for any typos or anything. I wanted to put it up now while I have the chance, for feedback and in case I did anything wrong, but I'll have to proofread the backstory and things properly later.

Ha!  That should be amusing.  ;D
A&A

Galactic Druid

Zorro has his link set, but who his connection is will be a mystery until it come up in the story!

Aiyanna

Can we get a character thread or something RPguy? I can't find everyon'es profiles to decide who the connections will be, and I'm still having trouble with the one, since it would require an edit to the background on a character.
Ideas
O/o's