News:

Main Menu

Halloween and Diabetes

Started by Sybl, October 19, 2012, 03:47:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sybl

I was asked to research what alternative we (Diabetics) might have as far as holiday candy and snacks go. Recently diagnosed with type 2 I had no real idea as far as snacks or holiday items was available. What I have so far is the tip of the iceberg. I encourage you to share your thoughts and secrets to fun times and food for holiday sharing, living in the diabetic world.

When it comes to holidays, Halloween ranks right up there with Christmas and Thanksgiving for diabetics. The small candy bars and other sugar-laden goodies are a strong temptation that many of us can't resist. Even at a friendly Halloween party, the sugar will be flowing in the form of candy and punch. Just because everyone else is indulging in their sweet tooth doesn't mean that you can't too.
Try enjoying a few treats and then giving the rest away. The key is moderation; eat one small candy bar, not an entire trick or treat bag. Or look for miniature sugar free candies, and snack on those instead. There are lot of delicious miniature sugar free candies out now, including those by major brand names like Life Savers and Jolly Rancher. Even Pez makes a sugar free candy now, as does Tootsie Roll.

Where to find sugar free candy or snacks:
Perfectly sweet   They sell only sugar free

Walgreens Huge Assortment of Sugar Free
All Name Brand & Sugar Free: LifeSavers, Werthers, Nestle, Brach, Russell Stover, Breath Saver Gum and Hershey Milk Chocolate just to name a few. There are 12 pages on the Walgreen site.
Diabetic Snacks can be found here: 2 pages

Diabetics have alternatives whether it is a holiday or everyday. Other great diabetic snacks are fresh fruit and vegetables. Stay within the guidelines as far as consumption and you will be fine.

Less Sugar and More Flavor

If you are invited to a Halloween party, or just looking to indulge your sweet tooth, consider trying some of these Halloween themed recipes for diabetics.

Hot Spiced Witches Brew
1 cup dried sugar free breakfast drink mix, orange flavored
½ cup sugar free iced tea mix
1/4 cup sugar free lemonade mix
½ teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon cloves
1 orange peel
1 lemon peel
2 gallons of water
Combine all ingredients in a large pot and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, and let sit for 20-30 minutes. Strain out the peels, and serve with cinnamon sticks. Makes approximately 32 servings.

Ghoul's Breath Dip
1 pound fresh tomatoes, cored, seeded, and diced
1/4 cup diced red onion
1 diced chile pepper (remove the seeds if you like things less spicy)
1 minced clove of garlic
3 tablespoons cilantro
3 tablespoons lemon juice
Hot sauce to taste
1 cup of sour cream
Mix together all ingredients except the sour cream in a large bowl. Cover and store in the refrigerator for at least an hour. Just before serving, fold in the sour cream, and serve with tortilla chips. This is a nice alternative to regular salsa.

Halloween Gorp
3 tablespoons melted butter or margerine
½ teaspoon of chili powder
½ teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon garlic powder
Hot sauce to taste
2 quarts hot popcorn
1 cup small pretzel sticks
1 cup golden raisins
½ cup peanuts
½ cup sunflower seeds
Heat together the spices, butter, and hot sauce over low heat. Combine the dry ingredients in a large paper bag, and add the melted butter mixture. Toss together quickly, and immediately pour into a bowl and serve.

One of my favorite foods from Halloween is popcorn balls, and now you can make a diabetic reduced sugar version.

Diabetic Popcorn Balls
½ cup butter
40 big marshmallows
1 teaspoon vanilla
16 cups unsalted popcorn

Mix together the butter and marshmallows in a small pan over low heat until melted. Add the vanilla, and a few drops of food coloring if you like. Pour the popcorn into a large bowl, and cover with the marshmallow mixture, tossing lightly to coat. With greased hands, quickly form small popcorn balls and let sit on wax paper until cool. This recipe can make up to 32 popcorn balls.
Try a few of these recipes the next time you get a craving during the Halloween season.

Sybl is taking a leave of absence from the Elliquian Herald

RedPug

Lady, you just made my world a better place. It's nice to know there really ARE other Diabetic people who have issues with the holidays. I always felt like an out cast.

I'm a Diabetic Type 1  so I'm completely dependent on insulin and have a pretty strict carb count. Thanks for all the pointers and the recipes.

I suppose my favorite diabetic treat would have to be Diet 7-UP(or really anything like sprite or gingerale works too) with fozen strawberries for icecubes. At the end you get a tastey fizzy treat as the strawberries have absorbed some of the carbon bubbles from the pop. The few strawberries you have shouldn't affect your blood sugars unless you're very sensitive or going through a rough spot(it happens).

Sybl

Quote from: RedPug on October 20, 2012, 03:38:31 AM
Lady, you just made my world a better place. It's nice to know there really ARE other Diabetic people who have issues with the holidays. I always felt like an out cast.

I'm a Diabetic Type 1  so I'm completely dependent on insulin and have a pretty strict carb count. Thanks for all the pointers and the recipes.

I suppose my favorite diabetic treat would have to be Diet 7-UP(or really anything like sprite or gingerale works too) with fozen strawberries for icecubes. At the end you get a tastey fizzy treat as the strawberries have absorbed some of the carbon bubbles from the pop. The few strawberries you have shouldn't affect your blood sugars unless you're very sensitive or going through a rough spot(it happens).

Hello RedPug,

I am glad I posted this here knowing it helped you. I feel the same about your Ginger ale/Strawberry idea as it has helped me. I am fairly new at being a diabetic. Every little bit helps.  :-)

Sybl