The new teacher

Started by torioto, December 15, 2009, 01:09:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

torioto

I am confident when I enter the classroom, full of expectant, surprised faces, faces I dare not look yet. 'They are barely younger than I am...' I think. I am a 21 year old Spanish teacher. I am new to this school and this is my first job but I am naturally strict and I shall not tolerate any misbehavior in my classroom.

"My name is Prof. Rios" I say as I write my name on the green chalkboard with a thick chunk of chalk. I turn around to see the faces of all my students for the first time. "And I shall be you spanish teacher for this year".

Keaira

I smile from one the the seats in the middle of the room. "Buenos dias senor Rios. My name is Alicia, and my Spanish isn't as good as I make it seem."
Behind every angel stands a devil.                    Scattered Angel A/A updated 8/12/16
Oh's and No's

torioto

"Then I believe you will pay attention to my class at all moments, señorita Olsen" I keep my gaze on her for a few seconds, recognizing her angelical face and flawless features from the students files I was given, before turn to the rest of the class as will all of you." I decide to keep and eye on her.

Keaira

I smile at him, flashing my confident smile as I pull out my notebook. "I always do senor rios. You won't have to worry much about that."
I was interested in getting to know this new teacher, most of my old spanish teachers never really taught.
I then pull out my book and watch him intently as he adresses the class.
Behind every angel stands a devil.                    Scattered Angel A/A updated 8/12/16
Oh's and No's

torioto

I spent the next hour explaining the class my own curriculum. I would divide the semester in five: grammar, speech, novels, poetry and drama. I even started my first lecture on history of spanish. As the bell rang I put my chalk down and turn to my students "that will be all for today. Nos veremos mañana. Que pasen un buen día." And with that I left the room but not without glancing one last time to Alice, who was looking at me as if trying to decipher me, as she had been during all the period.

Keaira

I waitied for him and everyone else to leave the room before packing up my books.

"For a new teacher he isn't worried about anything. He's a little too confident. Oh well." I say to myself before heading down the hall and through campus to my dorm.
Oh's and No's

torioto

I arrive at the small space they the administration had provided as an apartment. The building, apparently, was designed for to shelter all of the staff if needed. Most of the faculty prefered living in their own apartments and houses. I had just enough space for a desk, a drawer and a bed. Even though it was small it wasn't uncomfortable. One of the walls sported a big window with a view of most of campus. I spent most of my afternoon preparing my next class plans. After that I went to the cafeteria to grab a something to eat and ate on a bench in the school grounds instead of the teachers lounge. 'Somethings never change' I think, as I see the students walk from building to building, some studying and some losing their time. After a I finished my meal I went back to my apartment.

Alice's penetrating gaze haunted my dreams that night. There she was trying to seduce me, to kiss me. I woke up at once alarmed by my own dream. Not even in my dreams should I do something like that.

'There is something about her I can't really lay a finger on yet... ' I think as I rub my temples.

Keaira

The rest of my classes that day were skipped. I already had a lot of work to do and wanted to get started. I went to the library on campus, which happened to be near, as she called them, "the teacher's dorms" and sat near a window that looked down on the building.
I'm spending more time looking out the window and daydreaming than actually getting my work done, but after awhile it's all finished and I go back to my dorm.
As always the dorm is empty since my roommates would rather go to some party and crash wherever, "Some things never change," I thought as I picked up a dirty sock.

My stomach was grumbling and making enough noise to catch anyone's attention, if anyone were actually heere, so I made the ever famous Ramen in the microwave. "MmMmMm nothing like a boiling bowl of micrwaved chicken noodle soup."
I quickly finished my meal, throwing my plastic bowl next to the sink of overflowing dirty dishes and then walk to one of the two small bedrooms, flop on the bed (too tired from the day to worry about changing clothes),  and fall asleep for the night.
Oh's and No's

torioto

I grab my briefcase and papers and head to the first class of the day. I really hoped nothing strange happened today again. I enter the classroom, making the usual clatter of students stop as they see me.
"Buenos días estudiantes. Good morning students." I open my briefcase and pull out a small block of paper. I give a small amount to each of the students in the first row. "Today you will write a letter. In spanish. Address it to anyone you like and do your best." The next student is Alice...

Keaira

I slide through the door, a few minutes late to class. I hadn't heard much of what you said except for when you say my name. "Senor, por favor, me llamo no es Alice. Me llamo Alicia o Ali, for short."

I blush, knowing I probably said something wrong, but I didn't really care. I slip into my usual seat and wait to hear him either say something about my tardiness or poor grammar.
Oh's and No's

torioto

I study her under my gaze. "Your letter shall be directed to me. Señorita Olsen." 'And... how did she read my mind?'
"This will be a diagnostic test and it will not affect your grade. Raise your hand" I look directly at Alicia "if you have any questions and I will come to you."

Keaira

I lower my head, having no idea what to write. "This should be fun." I say sarcastically under my breath, lightly tapping my pen on the paper.

After a few minutes I sigh and put my pen down. "This is useless," I think to myself, looking up at Senor Rios, hoping he isn't watching me.

I shift in my seat and brush my blonde hair away from my face and try to focus more but to no avail.
Oh's and No's

torioto

'They are worse than I thought.' I think frustrated. They had said their previous teacher was useless but this seemed worse. I scan their strained faces and sense despair. Only three students called me to ask something and I saw they had next to nothing in their paper. Alicia was looking at me when I looked at her. I stand up and walk towards her. "Que le sucede Alicia? What is wrong?"

Keaira

"No puedo escribir. Awh who am I kidding I can't speak any of this, nevermind write it." I say exasperated as I push my paper away. "This is hopeless."
Oh's and No's

torioto

"You are expected to do your best. Not to be a genius. Write what you will in english for now. You will then translate as much as you can. I'm looking forward to read yours."

Keaira

"Ok but what am I supposed to write to you. I barely know you and this all just seems strange." I look up at you with a sweet smile before picking up my pen to attempt writing again.
Oh's and No's

torioto

"Free topic. Do your best. If you need anything raise your hand."

Keaira

"Gracias Senor Rios. I'll see what I can come up with."

I chew on the cap of my pen for a few minutes, trying to keep my thoughts and emotions under control.
"I can't say anything like that, he is my teacher." I say under my breath, not realizing how loud it actually came out.
Oh's and No's

torioto

'I wonder what she has up until now' I wonder as I see her chew on her pen with a stressed face. I conclude she is unconfident and feels I will punish her if she writes something wrong, so I go to her again and say "It doesn't matter what you write as long as you have something."
I adress the whole class."In five minutes I will start taking back my papers so please conclude what you have of your letters. Vayan terminando jovenes."

Keaira

I quickly start writing, seeing that there is still nothing on my paper.

"Senor Rios,

Muchas gracias por todo la ayuda. Lo siento si yo soy muy dificil. Mi madre y padre son estrictos y if I don't get perfect grades. No es buena.

Eh. Como le gusta estar un profesor, so far? I'm sure you heard that our last couple professors/teachers weren't the greatest.

Espera que voy a aprender la idioma de espanol por la primer vez from you. Su clase es muy interesante y I look forward to coming to your class todos los dias. :*"

I draw a quick little heart and sign it "Alicia Marie Olsen" just as class ends.
Oh's and No's

torioto

I draw all the papers careful to leave Alicia's on top.
"That will be all for today. Nos veremos mañana. Que pasen un buen día."
Bu this time I stay behind organizing the papers.

Keaira

I take my time getting my bag together, watching you organize all the papers. I pull my hair into a ponytail before getting up and walking past you with a wink before leaving the classroom.
Oh's and No's

torioto

I walk out the classroom just after her. I try to follow her, without anyone noticing, as long as I can before moving to my next class.

Keaira

I feel someone following behind me, but I don't turn around. Instead I make my way to an unused classroom and sit down with my books.
Oh's and No's

torioto

Wondering if I can afford a few minutes I spy through the window...