Changeling the Lost: A simplified system

Started by The Great Triangle, May 11, 2008, 08:09:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Great Triangle

I really like changeling the lost, but the rules are a bit too complex for an easy roleplay, therefore, I've designed a set of rules designed to work a bit more simply. 

A Changeling's existence is defined by conflicts, between madness and clarity, fear and desire, sorrow and wrath, Changelings face extremes of emotion and terror, fighting to find their home in a world made far more foreign by their encounters with the Fae.  Therefore, my rules use a conflict system based on an experimental system from RPG.net.  A changeling has three conflicts:

Clarity vs. Madness: This conflict defines how much a changeling has absorbed the power of the Wyrd, and how much control the changeling has over his actions.  This conflict is rolled when a changeling tries to perceive reality as it is or deal with nasty changes in circumstance  A changeling's level of madness also affects his ability to affect the wyrd, enabling him to work much more powerful magic. 

Sorrow vs. Wrath: This conflict represents how much the changeling has either learned to be violent, or learned to evade trouble at all costs.  It is rolled when a changeling engages in combat or other nasty behavior, as well as when a changeling tries to get out of a situation.

Fear vs. Desire:  This conflict deals with how much a changeling has become cautious, and how much it has become a capricious being of passion and desire.  This conflict is rolled when a changeling engages in social situations, or tries to analyze his problems intellectually rather than just going and acting. 

The Basic System:  Conflicts are both rated at a level that adds up to 10.  For example, a changeling might start with sorrow 6 and wrath 4.  When it becomes necessary to resolve a conflict, roll 1d10.  If the result is lower than or equal to the left stat (clarity, sorrow, or fear) then that part of the changeling's nature triumphs an the changeling acts in accordance with it.  If the roll is higher than or equal to the right stat (madness, wrath, or desire), then the changeling acts in accordance with that nature. 

When two changelings fight, be it socially or physically, they announce which nature they will be using to attack, the nature which they are targeting, and then roll off.  If the changeling fails to roll the nature that he was using, then the attack is ineffective.  If the changeling rolls the proper nature, then he inflicts a wound on his opponent.  A wound inflicts a penalty on all rolls affecting the targeted nature equal to the margin of success on the attack.  Margin of success is based on how much lower the die roll was than the target number for left stats, and how much higher for right stats.  The penalty is subtracted for wounds to right stats, and added for wounds to left stats.  Wounds may cancel each other out, and persist until they are healed through the course of play.  If a changeling wishes, he may have a wound affect only combat rolls or only rolls related to himself, doing one or both of these provides a bonus of 1 on combat rolls.

Willpower:  You may be wondering, how exactly does your character have any free will if die rolls can determine how he acts.  The answer is that in addition to the conflicts, a changeling has willpower points he may use to affect his die rolls.  A changeling's maximum reserve of willpower is equal to his clarity, and a new character begins play with maximum willpower.  Each willpower point spent influences a die roll by 1 in the direction of a player's choice.  Whenever a changeling gets a margin of success of 4 or better on a die roll without spending willpower, and whenever he recovers a wound, he gains a point of willpower.  Willpower is always spent after rolling the dice.

Specialties:  Some characters have things they're just plain good at, the Ogre with a lead pipe of doom, the fairest who can rally armies of followers at will with a political speech, such things are reflected in specialties.  A changeling starts play with three specialties, one physical, one mental, and one social.  A changeling gains a free point of willpower whenever he makes a roll using his specialty, and this point of willpower may go over his maximum, although if it does it must be used on the roll involving the specialty.  Changelings may also gain extra specialties from their kith or have specialties granted to them by the ST over the course of play.

That's what I've gotten nailed down so far.  I'm still working on getting character creation and seemings and kiths nailed down, although court is already incorporated via the fear vs. desire and sorrow conflicts.  So, what do you guys think?  I'll happily provide some examples if the system is unclear.
Meow!  I'm a kitty; made of fire.

Ons and Offs