IE 8 & Modifying Posts

Started by Nessy, May 30, 2009, 06:12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nessy

I use IE 8 (updated recently) and it does this really weird thing when modifying posts by auto scrolling up one line constantly so you never see what you are typing. It's behaving in a way that suggests this is a compatibility issue. Changing it to IE 7 mode fixes the problem, but I am wondering if anyone knows why it might do this so I can adjust some setting somewhere? It only happens when you are modifying a post, not when you are posting a new one. And only if that post is long enough to require scroll arrows on the right side.

Note: please don't tell me a dozen reasons not to use IE. I use it for a reason.

Thank you,
Ons and Offs    Short Term Ideas,
Misc. Long Term Ideas

If you send me a PM and I don't respond, chances are I just missed it. Send it again!

Some heroes don't wear capes. Some just #holdthedoor.

Vekseid

Changing it to IE7 mode for Elliquiy may be the best option for awhile, I know several other things are broken in IE8 and I'm sortof at a loss as to how to fix them since the code isn't mine and hard to reproduce.

Nessy

Quote from: Vekseid on May 30, 2009, 06:18:06 PM
Changing it to IE7 mode for Elliquiy may be the best option for awhile, I know several other things are broken in IE8 and I'm sortof at a loss as to how to fix them since the code isn't mine and hard to reproduce.

Okay. It's not a big deal to get it to IE 7 mode after all, quick toggle, and I have yet to run into a site where switching modes didn't fix compatibility issues either. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't an add-on or a setting that could be the culprit. I've not had a program try to auto-scroll for me before.

Thank you.
Misc. Long Term Ideas

If you send me a PM and I don't respond, chances are I just missed it. Send it again!

Vekseid

There will be a new theme coming out with the next release of SMF, so we'll see how that functions, honestly : )

Greenthorn

As a note, I downgraded to IE7 simply because when I would try to edit a word in the middle of a sentence (before even posting) it would type over the following words.  this happened in my online classes also...so it's not just an Elliquiy issue.

IE8 is buggy as hell...don't use it....yet!   ;)

Trieste

Greenthorn, that's the insert key.

Haibane

How do I set IE8 to work in IE7 mode? I'm having the same frustrations as the original poster.

I wanted to note though that this problem only happens on Elliquiy. In other forums it is fine, so there is something about Elliquiy that IE8 does not like.

Nessy

It's a little button that shows up next to the refresh button. Looks like a page being torn in half. Once you switch it it easy to change back although with ellquiy, I have had little reason to change it back to "normal" mode.

I've had zero problems with IE 8 that haven't be easily fixed with compatibility toggling, aside form the occasional issues any browser might have.
Misc. Long Term Ideas

Dakota

So far every version of ie has had some problem with it, blame microsoft with thier cross browser crap lol sorry, i switched to firefox a few years ago and now refuse to use anything else, i would seriously urge anyone to switch, i've had little to no problems with it

Nessy

Show me a piece of software with competition, and I will show you two sides that will always claim the other is worse.
Misc. Long Term Ideas

Trieste

Please keep the thread on-topic, thanks!

Haibane

Quote from: Nessy on June 11, 2009, 08:23:52 PM
It's a little button that shows up next to the refresh button. Looks like a page being torn in half.
Oh yes, I see it. Thank you. I wondered what that was! Spent ages toiling through all the drop down menus... Doh!

I still need to mention, for Veks' benefit, that Elliquiy is the only forum I have had this issue on, so *something* is different here to other web forums I frequent (though I have no idea what software they use).

Nessy

Same here, in terms of message board type sites. I also wanted to point out that you can access and toggle the compatibility view and settings under tools which includes a list of websites you have set to use the view where you can add and remove sites manually. I've had to use the view on a couple of sites where their weekly advertisements did not load properly.
Misc. Long Term Ideas