Dead Woods [Horror, Adventure, Gravity Fall-inspired; Recruiting]

Started by Silver Phoenix, October 17, 2016, 10:18:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silver Phoenix

The inspiration for this game is based largely on Gravity Falls, which should give you a bit of an idea of what I had in mind for this game.  That said, whilst the show was based for a young audience in general, I'm more in the mood for something a bit darker; other influences on this idea are from Alan Wake, Silent Hill, Evil Dead, and a liberal sprinkling of Lovecraft all over – needless to say, there's an ancient evil in Dead Woods that needs to be contained (or destroyed if such is possible) before it becomes powerful enough to spread it's malign will into the world.

I'm looking for people who start as (mostly) ordinary people who have a general interest in the occult, become acquainted, and get caught up in the events.

Nestled in the remote part of the country, Dead Woods is so named for the petrified specimens of ancient trees that dot the region's extensive redwood forests like grey monoliths refusing to fall.  Here the small close-knit community gets along on logging and the occasional influx of gold seekers.  Like any small, isolated town, Dead Woods has a plethora of mysteries and odd goings-on that circulates through the rumour mill and most locals are content to dismiss.  That said, in the 1970's a renowned, though little-known, professor of archaeology, historical, and occult studies of the time chose to purchase land in Dead Woods, built a home, moved in, and became the town eccentric.  On occasion he still holds lectures and talks, though most who attend tend to be in connected circles to know of these announcements.

This year, Professor Jonathan Wade is holding another lecture, one which the character's have managed to hear about and have reasons to want to come and attend.

What am I looking/hoping for?
I guess it's sufficient to say that I'm looking for a small group of players to bring this vision to life; particularly by those who enjoy this sort of stuff.  Despite my desire for a darker spin on Gravity Falls, it isn't all going to be gloom and doom as the interaction between players is just as important, as will be character growth and lighter hearted moments to be had.

What sort of characters are acceptable?
I'm picturing this to be more a story of ordinary people rising to the occasion and/or struggling against the odds; hence no square-jawed heroes or vivacious femme-fatales – ordinary people with flaws are the order of the day.

Is it freeform or system based?
I'd say hybrid – the game will be freeform for the most part, with a very loose (custom-made, no dice-rolls) system to define what characters can and cannot do, and what can happen in a fight-or-flight situation.  New: The system may be found here.

Is there going to be fighting?
I think it better to look at this in terms of matters of life and death, rather than fighting or combat.  There are going to be weapons available in some limited capacity, but rather than being a licence for a FPS rampage, they will serve the purpose of survival tools.

What kind of sexual content is going to feature?
That's a pretty open area.  I have a wide range of likes that range from vanilla to the unusual, LGBT, so I would say I don't want to place restrictions on people in this area.  The only two things I'd like to note is: try and make it fit the context of the story (and not just for the sake of) and be mindful of the limits of others (preferably by taking it to a separate thread; I'm thinking of using the one-shots section for any smut).  If I'm going to be honest, I am in the mood for the spicy to the weird - supernatural trysts, incest (heck, I'm a pinecest fan  :P), cult/ritual sex, etc... but of course that doesn't preclude vanilla romance.

If there's at least 4+ players worth of solid interest, I'll get around to advancing it to a playable stage.
My O/Os: Elliquiy, F-List

Current Game Capacity: 11/11; Full

Jr

The outline's a bit vague, but I'm all over this. Here's hoping you get some more interest soon.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Jr on October 22, 2016, 10:49:15 PM
The outline's a bit vague, but I'm all over this. Here's hoping you get some more interest soon.

+1 but I am totally putting my interest here :)

For a long time I've been thinking of making  similar setting, Nightvale crossed over with Alan Wake, possibly even including a radio station like Patt Mayne's, run by a friendly old man that knows everyone's names.

Already planning to bring in a character :P

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Only thing I am hesitant about is the system gaming.

Silver Phoenix

Thanks for the interest guys; I was considering locking the thread up in this coming week and trying again in the future.

Quote from: Jr on October 22, 2016, 10:49:15 PMThe outline's a bit vague, but I'm all over this. Here's hoping you get some more interest soon.
The idea is a bit vague for the moment, but I'll get a bit more up in the coming days, now that there is at least a modicum of interest.

Quote from: Lustful Bride on October 22, 2016, 11:30:24 PM+1 but I am totally putting my interest here :)

For a long time I've been thinking of making  similar setting, Nightvale crossed over with Alan Wake, possibly even including a radio station like Patt Mayne's, run by a friendly old man that knows everyone's names.

Already planning to bring in a character :P

Only thing I am hesitant about is the system gaming.
I totally get your hesitation there; my only issue has been that in the past (on other sites) that without a few guidelines, players begin to go all over the board until things start to get a bit ridiculous.  That said, I'm not saying that Freeform is off the board - since this is a game I've been gestating on for a while, I'd just like to give it the best chance of getting off the ground.

If you guys have ideas, feel free to throw them around.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Silver Phoenix on October 23, 2016, 12:03:20 AM
Thanks for the interest guys; I was considering locking the thread up in this coming week and trying again in the future.
The idea is a bit vague for the moment, but I'll get a bit more up in the coming days, now that there is at least a modicum of interest.
I totally get your hesitation there; my only issue has been that in the past (on other sites) that without a few guidelines, players begin to go all over the board until things start to get a bit ridiculous.  That said, I'm not saying that Freeform is off the board - since this is a game I've been gestating on for a while, I'd just like to give it the best chance of getting off the ground.

If you guys have ideas, feel free to throw them around.

We should totally use imaged of Bright Falls, NightValle, and Gravity Falls to help sell and create the town. I also say that we should include a Radiostation as a place for players to hang out Maybe its at the highest point in the area so it gives a good birds eye view?

Also the radiostation gives us an excuse to use music, and to hear the owner brag about the town's new heroes and their exploits whether they win or lose. Kind of like 3-Dog from Fallout 3.

But that's just me :P

Jr

I do like the radio station idea, both as an rp hub and a unifying factor for the player characters. I'm really hoping this stays a system game, though. If LB has any problems with that aspect, I personally volunteer to help her out.

Silver Phoenix

I'm all down for those as they sound rather good!

The d20 System is probably going to be a little heavy for a newcommer, and even with help, whereas Fate Accelerated is the lightest ruleset I know, though it would still take about an hour of personal time to work with.  As a compromise, perhaps we can find a way to work a freeform side and system side into the game?  The alternative, I suppose, is to go custom system to make it as light as possible.

If any of you guys know of any good pictures, feel free to put them up and I'll slide them into the OP post.

Lustful Bride

That would be okay with me, freeform with a few system elements.

Lustful Bride

Just some Images to help spruce things up :P

Silver Phoenix

Thanks for the images LB; I'll work on integrating them into a new OP!

Jr

I'd be on board with light system elements, or even a system that only my character has to deal with. Possibilities for that could be station maintenance/management, keeping a mental illness in check, or having him be the designated combatant of the group.

Whowhatwhere

The O's and the A's --- AFK every weekend

Silver Phoenix

Okay, finally got around to re-doing the OP post!  Took longer to get around to than I thought.

IrishWolf

RedEve

I would like to throw my hat in the ring.

Are the PCs supposed to be mostly locals? Or could this also include out-of-towners who make the trip especially for the professors lecture?
"I don't have a dirty mind, I have a sexy imagination."
My ons and offs- My F-list

Silver Phoenix

Welcome IrishWolf, and also welcome to RedEve.

I would favour out of towners who are coming in for the trip, but locals are not entire out of the question either, though I'd prefer if they were a little disconnected from the community at large.

Jr

Having seen the redone OP, I'm still super into this. Would "trimmigrant" be an acceptable origin for an out-of-towner or recent arrival? I figure it'd give my character a reason to spend a lot of time in the spooky woods and keep to himself for the most part.

RedEve

Quote from: Silver Phoenix on October 30, 2016, 06:46:31 AM
Welcome IrishWolf, and also welcome to RedEve.

I would favour out of towners who are coming in for the trip, but locals are not entire out of the question either, though I'd prefer if they were a little disconnected from the community at large.

How well known would Jonathan Wade's work be?
I had this idea of a PhD student coming in to pick his brain.
A young woman hoping to earn her doctorate in Anthropology and who has a special interest in rural folklore that centers around the supernatural.

Silver Phoenix

Quote from: Jr on October 30, 2016, 07:43:28 AM
Having seen the redone OP, I'm still super into this. Would "trimmigrant" be an acceptable origin for an out-of-towner or recent arrival? I figure it'd give my character a reason to spend a lot of time in the spooky woods and keep to himself for the most part.
Not sure what a trimmigrant is, but as long as he has an interest in the occult and willing to work/interact with others, I don't think there'd be too much of an issue.

Quote from: RedEve on October 30, 2016, 08:02:15 AM
How well known would Jonathan Wade's work be?
I had this idea of a PhD student coming in to pick his brain.
A young woman hoping to earn her doctorate in Anthropology and who has a special interest in rural folklore that centers around the supernatural.
I would say Jonathan' work isn't too well known outside of his field, but those who know of him (and find his work compelling) consider him an authority in his area.  However, he does have the reputation (amongst his contemporaries) as being too 'into' his work.

Nevertheless, I can see such a character wanting to attend one of his lectures to gain a different perspective from commonly accepted views.

RedEve

Silver Phoenix

I haven't made a template so far, so if you feel up for submitting a character, you can do it in any manner for the time being.  No worries there.

RedEve

Quote from: Silver Phoenix on October 30, 2016, 08:32:27 AM
I haven't made a template so far, so if you feel up for submitting a character, you can do it in any manner for the time being.  No worries there.

Via PM I assume?

Silver Phoenix

If you prefer, though I'm not averse to it being here either.

Silver Phoenix

Okay.  Finally got the custom system up and can be found here.  Also included link in opening post.

RedEve

Silver Phoenix suggested that I posted my approved character here:

Name: Rebecca Fowler
Background: Rebecca is a PhD candidate in Anthropology who hopes to devote her dissertation to the history and origins of supernatural folklore in rural communities. During her research, she happened upon the town of Dead Woods and from what little she could gather about the place, it seemed like a fertile source for some of the material she’ll need. In the figure of Dr. Jonathan Wade, it also has a ready-made contact and source of information who lives in Dead Woods itself and had studied the history of the area for decades. Thus it is Rebecca’s intention to attend his lecture and stay in Dead Woods itself for a few weeks, in the hope of further picking Dr. Jonathan Wade’s brain, as well as doing some research of her own.

Rebecca is a long-time overachiever who has occasionally neglected her social life because she is so busy in her academic achievements. Even in high school, there was little time for partying in between her school work and the fact that she was a star athlete on both the soccer and softball teams. Thus it should come as no surprise that she finished her BA and MA with a 4.0 GPA but no boyfriend. Not that she lived as a nun in college, but most of her relationships were short flings and the occasional one night stand. Whenever a guy demanded more of her time and attention than she was willing to give to him, she had quickly ended the relationship. This hasn’t changed with her PhD candidacy. The people working around and with her are worried about when – and not if – she is going to hit the proverbial wall. This is a concern not shared by Rebecca herself, who actually feels energized and not dragged down by the work.

Attributes

Aggression: 2
Guile: 2
Perception: 2
Resolve: 2

Talent

Athletic