Dead Woods [Horror, Adventure, Gravity Fall-inspired; Recruiting]

Started by Silver Phoenix, October 17, 2016, 10:18:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silver Phoenix

Since the topic has come up via PM, we'll use photos rather than art for face claims.
My O/Os: Elliquiy, F-List

Current Game Capacity: 11/11; Full

Whowhatwhere

Jim Eoff

A troubled childhood made James Overman Eoff seek out things that soothed him. His mind and body became troubled and tense after physical abuse and utter poverty in rural Appalachia. Young Jim had turned to many things that have given him temporary relief: alcohol, sex, drugs, meditation. Only when he began to listen to the mesmerizing tones of the voices of people trying to convince you of something did he find peace. Jim sought out charismatic ministers, chanting singers. He even walked into a store to hear sales pitches. His most potent, soothing "drug" were the hypnotic voices of cult leaders and lecturers. There was something about those who spoke of the supernatural - not merely spirituality but true weirdness - that was calming to his addiction-controlled mind.

He had been content watching YouTube videos of Charles Manson and Arcturus Ra as he earned his living as an auto mechanic. He developed "mechanic back" early, adding a physical pain to the mental pain. His dependence on pain relievers - both physical and mental - increased. One day, he injured his back at work and was out of work. He survived off of his barely-there worker's comp, but realized he needed something in his life to save him from this downward spiral. He formulated a plan to escape his small town, stayed on worker's comp till it ran out, then left.

He wandered all over America, trying to find any sort of fix-it work that didn't involve bending over a car engine. He was a radio tower climber, an apartment fix-it man, and did construction. He learned how to fix many things besides cars. Between jobs, he would take whatever money he had and move on, pausing long enough to give him a "vacation" of some sort. They were presents to himself; a week or two where he would find something that soothed him. He found himself, more and more, gravitating to spooky, "magical" places and charismatic but crazed people, whose very voice soothed his mental pain - Roswell, the Serpent Mound, New Orleans. Places where people would talk to him. Places where he could be find what he needed to almost hypnotize himself. He never was much of a believer in the occult, but to pretend to believe in what these madmen were saying made their voices all the more effective. What would it hurt to meditate at Sedona? What would it hurt to try to open his mind to ley lines at Four Corners? He wanted to believe, so he did. He may yet someday disbelieve, but his desire to escape the reality of his life was stronger.

Jim had heard word of the lecture being given at Dead Woods. Who was this Johnathan Wade? Was he to be believed? Why not believe? Jim hoped he had a soothing voice. It was his plan to attend the lecture, sit in the back row, pop a Xanax, and enjoy the ride.

Attributes:
Aggression 2
Guile 3
Perception 2
Resolve 1

Talent: Strong

(Face Claim: Chris Young)

The O's and the A's --- AFK every weekend

Lustful Bride

Silver Phoenix

Lustful Bride

Im going to have to spend some time finding some live action images I like then.

IrishWolf

Name: Kenneth “Kenny” Sheey
Background: Kenny was born and raised in Dead Woods, well thats a bit of an overstatement. He was schooled in Dead Woods and works for a logging company in the town but like every other member of the Sheey family, he lives about a mile outside of the town proper, in one of a small collection of cabins, collectively called The Homestead. Like the rest of his kin, he was a quiet, reserved kid, who got decent grades but never seemed to aspire to college. Like his brothers and cousins, when he finished high school, he promptly went and joined the local workforce, cutting down trees.

Like any other of the Sheeys, he can seen around town, coming by to go shopping, hitting the bars or going to see a movie. As with the rest, when he is being sociable, he’ll talk about latest game or work or some of the rumors going about town. However, like the rest of his kin, he never talks about his family or homelife. Any attempts to get him to open up are met with silence and a blank look. Further attempts to press the issue will result with frown and challenging stare. He also, as his whole family does, actively avoids Professor Wade, going so far as to leave whatever bar, theater, store or restaurant, that the eccentric arrives at. He has even joined his other male relatives, in blocking the Professor, from getting close to The Homestead. Not that he was threatened by a wall of men standing shoulder to shoulder is intimidating.

It is notable of late, that Kenny has been spending more time than normal in the bars around town, drinking by himself. Rumors have connect it to the fact his father has stopped working and is believed to be making trips to a big city hospital. The why is unknown by given the sudden increase of Kenny’s drinking, it can’t be good.

Attributes

Aggression: 2
Guile: 1
Perception: 2
Resolve: 3

Talent

Unwavering

Red Stella

Silver Phoenix

Still in the interest check stage, but open to more.  There are a couple of good characters already made, so I'll probably get this off the ground with 2 or 3 more hits.

Red Stella

Name: Laurel Novak
Background: Laurel is a graphic/computer artist.  She comes from an upper middle class family with a strong belief in hard work and sensible lifestyles.  Her older brother has happily followed that path, but Laurel has always had a bit of a wild streak.  Nothing too dangerous or illegal - she is a hard worker, she just likes less structure and more spontaneity. 

As she's an independent contractor, Laurel is able to travel and pursue her interests pretty much at will.  One of her instructors had a passion for the supernatural and the occult, and shared that with Laurel.  She was very skeptical at first and still maintains a healthy objectivity in spite of her developing interest.  Having just completed a long and very profitable job, she's happily taking a road trip in her old but reliable Jeep that includes a stop in Dead Woods.  Her former instructor had been planning to attend a lecture of some sorts by a Professor Jonathan Wade but had to cancel his trip due to a family emergency; Laurel didn't have a set route for her trip, so she volunteered to take notes. 

And who knew, maybe Dead Woods would be more interesting than it sounded.

Attributes
Aggression: 1
Guile: 3
Perception: 2
Resolve: 2

Talent
Dynamic

Silver Phoenix

Okay, so I think we have at least four character sheets, so I'm just going to make a call for everyone to still confirm that they are on board to start the game, as well as anyone else who pitched interest or newcomers as well.

I will make a start by this Friday, though that doesn't prevent newcomers from entering a little later either.

Whowhatwhere

The O's and the A's --- AFK every weekend

RedEve

Still on board.
I am going away on a little getaway later this week that will probably leave me with limited internet access until Sunday night.
"I don't have a dirty mind, I have a sexy imagination."
My ons and offs- My F-list

Red Stella

Jr

On further consideration, I think I'm gonna sit this one out. Have fun, y'all.

IrishWolf

Silver Phoenix

Just a quick apology for those waiting for this game - I fell behind on my Friday schedule, due to unforseen work.  As soon as I finish work today, I'm going to put in the time necessary to get the intro ready for posting.

Here's a link to the OOC section, so players can make themselves comfortable.