The Big Thread For the USA 2016 Presidential Candidates [Poll updated!]

Started by Blythe, July 31, 2015, 04:50:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cycle

What I take issue with is how you take what I say out of context, and keep doing so.

So, we're done.

kylie

You said the expectations were that they would burn out and neither could win.  You said they might defy expectations because their constituents don't necessarily follow what the mass media says about such expectations.  I wondered if that really would lead to a scenario where Trump would not burn out and might seriously win everything (in particular, among other things) given the demographics and what he has been saying repeatedly about certain groups.  I tried to speculate a little where you didn't. 

"Out of context?"  Whatever you like. 

I suppose at least that's a little nicer than, 'You're attacking everything unfairly.'  It sounds quite different, too.

eBadger

Quote from: kylie on October 02, 2015, 09:27:50 PMI tried to speculate a little where you didn't. 

I don't think he was that averse to what you had to say; I think he just meant 'ordinary people' as a factual socio-economic term, rather than

Quote from: kylie on October 02, 2015, 01:40:52 PMBut you seem to be defining them by what they don't have, rather than saying precisely what you think they are for, how the processes they are inside work, or whatever they might choose to positively do or move toward.

I don't think you were trying to attack him, but you did put a rather large existential/bias argument into his mouth when he was just stating that people have lots of ways to get unfiltered news now. 

Just my two cents. 

Quote from: Cycle on October 02, 2015, 08:21:45 PM
Bush 3.0's take on the Oregon mass murder:

Yeah.  Stuff happens.  Chill people.  I mean, heck, his brother caused the death of a couple hundred thousand Iraqis lying about weapons of mass destruction and he still got to be president.  So what's the big deal, right?

Well...in his defense, that was exactly what needed to be said on 9/12 and we'd have an entirely different nation, world and economy right now.

Of course, referring to a mass murder as 'stuff happens' certainly points out how much of a keen politician 3.0 is not. 

Caehlim

Quote from: eBadger on October 03, 2015, 01:13:06 AMOf course, referring to a mass murder as 'stuff happens' certainly points out how much of a keen politician 3.0 is not.

He's not the only one at least. Our former Prime Minister got in trouble for saying 'shit happens' in regards to the death of an Australian soldier. Not that Tony Abbott is someone most would describe as a 'keen politician' either. When questioned about it later, he froze up for 28 seconds of complete silence on air.
My home is not a place, it is people.
View my Ons and Offs page.

View my (new)Apologies and Absences thread or my Ideas thread.

BCdan

Yeah I don't know who to vote for.  I like Rand Paul for some of his beliefs but not others. I like Bernie Sanders for some of his beliefs, but not others.

So my only big challenge this election is how to make all the political surveys fuck off.

I really don't like Clinton or Bush.  We have had too many Bushes and Clinton just seems untrustworthy even for a politician.

~I enjoy random PM's~

Oniya

Wouldn't a better picture for GWB be a TSA screening booth?  Evacuating people after Katrina was certainly the right thing to do.  (While the Patriot Act has been widely criticized as an overreaction at best.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Cycle

Perhaps.  But I always felt 2.0 didn't do enough for New Orleans.

TheGlyphstone

In Dubya's defense (bleh), Katrina was a gigantic cluster with a ton of blame to spread around. Just skimming the Wikipedia article because it's been so long, Dubya, Cheney, the governor of Louisiana, the mayor of New Orleans, and the director of FEMA all come off looking like total jerks there. 2.0's major crime seems to be being slow to react, in fact; other faces like Cheney or Brown were actively obstructive of the relief efforts in various ways.

ReijiTabibito

I was talking the race with my IRL table yesterday, and one of the players had this comment to make, which I think is a quote:

"30 years ago, we laughed at comedians and listened to our leaders; today, we laugh at our leaders and listen to our comedians."

Not saying that I would absolutely definitely supremely vote for a Stewart/Colbert ticket, but if it existed...

Cycle

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on October 04, 2015, 05:53:16 PM
Not saying that I would absolutely definitely supremely vote for a Stewart/Colbert ticket, but if it existed...

Oh, I like...

Oniya

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on October 04, 2015, 05:53:16 PM
I was talking the race with my IRL table yesterday, and one of the players had this comment to make, which I think is a quote:

"30 years ago, we laughed at comedians and listened to our leaders; today, we laugh at our leaders and listen to our comedians."

The one good thing that's come out of this race is the return of Bloom County.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Remiel

I'm far less political these days than I used to be, but I have to note that I was quite amused by the results of taking Sherlock's quiz:

45% match: Chris Christie (R)
40% match: Barack Obama (D)
35% match: Hillary Clinton (D)
33% match: Jeb Bush (R)
33% match: Joe Biden (D)
33% match: Rand Paul (R)

I eschew your narrowly-defined notions of ideological consistency.

Merah

According to one of those political quizzes, I'm an "egalitarian, ultra-progressive libertarian."

Right... because that's a thing.

Cycle

Hillary Clinton should be sending Congressman McCarthy a fruit basket.  The man admitted on national TV that the Benghazi investigation is just part of a Republican plan to prevent her from winning the 2016 election. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8Wff2-IKkA

Maybe he's so desperate to beat Trump that he's willing to help Clinton?

Zillah

Quote from: Cycle on October 05, 2015, 10:09:14 PM
Hillary Clinton should be sending Congressman McCarthy a fruit basket.  The man admitted on national TV that the Benghazi investigation is just part of a Republican plan to prevent her from winning the 2016 election. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8Wff2-IKkA

Maybe he's so desperate to beat Trump that he's willing to help Clinton?

Points for honesty, I guess??

Cycle

Wow.  3.0 is desperate.  He's bringing in 2.0 to stump for him.

Clinton needs to send a fruit basket to whichever brainiac came up with this awesome plan...

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Cycle on October 06, 2015, 11:39:21 AM
Clinton needs to send a fruit basket to whichever brainiac came up with this awesome plan...
What's with all the fruit baskets you think Clinton should send the Republicans? Looks to me like they are fruity enough as it is.  :D
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

Cycle

Frickin' hilarious.  McCarthy doesn't want to be Speaker either

We don't have two major political parties in the U.S. anymore.  We have three.  And two of them call themselves Republicans.

Oniya

I wish that the nice Republicans would rename themselves and just tell the rude ones to get bent.

(And yes, there are nice ones.  I've met them here.)

ReijiTabibito

The problem with any person elected to Speaker is, quite simply, they're inheriting Boehner's House.  The House he was damn glad to be leaving if you saw his resignation announcement.  The NYT article noted that in order for someone to be elected, they're going to need at least some of the hard-line extremists (aren't we fighting a war somewhere against extremism?) who would rather watch the country go down in flames than compromise on their 'positions.' 

And it just might happen, too - two major bills (as noted by NYT) are coming up here in the next couple of months.  One to raise the debt ceiling, and another to keep funding the government.  Both bills that were pretty much considered to be idiot-proof because they were a part of doing business.  Until the hard-liners got in there and actually made a big fuss about functioning government, because apparently that's too much for them to handle because 'government is doing all these evil things like funding Planned Parenthood!'  I don't think I need to remind anyone in this thread of how contentious it has been to pass debt ceiling bills the last few times, or how the extreme right has, time and again, caused the government to stop functioning because 'see?  Two days without Big Brother and we're not all killing each other, therefore government is irrelevant!'  (Like saying there's no global warming because winter is getting colder.  Idiots.)

(As a note, I do apologize for anyone who might be insulted or any major logic errors or such things that I made in the statement above.  It's just A: it's really early morning, and I get grouchy; B: those guys are going to cause trouble again.  I know it.)

Oniya

Smacked into a pay-wall, but the headline and first paragraph seem to confirm it.  He's staying on until they find his replacement (which isn't entirely unreasonable.)