News:

Main Menu

Gamers Unite!

Started by Trauma, August 07, 2014, 02:46:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trauma

Anyone lurking around that plays Counter-Strike: Global Offensive? or World of Warcraft.. or really any games that you enjoy?

Mikem

I've got an Xbox 360 with the Orange Box, Mass Effects 1, 2, and 3. All the Halo's. Call of Duty, it's expansion and Call of Duty 2 for the PC, and all three Modern Warfare's for the Xbox. Portal 2, Spec Ops: The Line, Splinter Cell: Conviction, and Doom 3: BFG Edition.

On the PC I have the Command and Conquer 10 year anniversary collection, Age of Empires III, SimCity 4: Rush Hour, World of Tanks, Minecraft, Planetside 2, Day of Defeat Source, and the Black Mesa Source engine remake of the original Half-Life.

;D
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. So why not take the scenic route?"

My Ons & Offs

Trauma

Nice.
I've been long rid of my consoles, but on PC I have a massive Steam collection. Ive done some time in World of Tanks and Planetside 2, but neither kept me for very long, sadly.

Tsenta

I've been playing Diablo 2 lately for nostalgia. >_>;
There ain't no rest for the wicked.

[Sic Semper Tyrannis - "Thus always to tyrants"] - Marcus Junius Brutus The Younger.

Trauma

I've never had the chance to play d2. I played a ton of d3, though, even the new expansion. It was nice, but turned into a lootfest at the end. Which is nice, but I wasn't having enough luck to keep interest.

Mikem

Quote from: Trauma on August 07, 2014, 08:11:52 PM
Nice.
I've been long rid of my consoles, but on PC I have a massive Steam collection. Ive done some time in World of Tanks and Planetside 2, but neither kept me for very long, sadly.
Oh no, I understand. World of Tanks and Planetside 2 are games that you play in spurts of activity, and then drop for months before going back in again. To be honest, they piss me off something fierce but I keep playing cause at the same time they're fun and a bit interesting. I mean Planetside 2 is a carbon copy of Battlefield, just set in the far future and has a CRAPTON more people playing at once. I love the giant tank battles. And when your faction and an enemy faction are going at it hard on the ground, you can spawn a base away in an Air Vehicle and provide close air support with missile barrage runs. But then you're quickly shot down by the dozen or so AA tanks/lock on missiles/enemy fighters that are nearby.
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. So why not take the scenic route?"

My Ons & Offs

Trauma

Quote from: Mikem on August 07, 2014, 10:29:46 PM
Oh no, I understand. World of Tanks and Planetside 2 are games that you play in spurts of activity, and then drop for months before going back in again. To be honest, they piss me off something fierce but I keep playing cause at the same time they're fun and a bit interesting. I mean Planetside 2 is a carbon copy of Battlefield, just set in the far future and has a CRAPTON more people playing at once. I love the giant tank battles. And when your faction and an enemy faction are going at it hard on the ground, you can spawn a base away in an Air Vehicle and provide close air support with missile barrage runs. But then you're quickly shot down by the dozen or so AA tanks/lock on missiles/enemy fighters that are nearby.

Yeah, Planetside 2 is one of a kind, really. I mean.. hour long large scale fire fights just to take the Crown. Yes, please. But I always happen to run into a group of people who are really good at missile strafing in mosquitoes, and we end up losing solely because of them. :P

HairyHeretic

The Crown is a lot more enjoyable a place to fight since they shifted a couple of the capture points. I hate with a passion those aircraft whose sole purpose in the game seems to be farming isolated infantry, and running from anything that approaches a fair fight.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

TheGlyphstone

I bought the Borderlands 2 GotY package during the Summer Steam Sale, and I've been enjoying the crap out of it ever since.

Trauma

Borderlands is still one of my top picks for a just downright fun game. Borderlands 2 was less so, but still very enjoyable.

Liquiddragon

I play cs go from find to time.  Spend most of my time in tf2 unless a friend is in go.  Also the new patch for d3 will spice things up a bit.  I always find myself going back to d3 once ever few months now though.  You're right it's a big gear grind and very very repetitive.  But I got way hooked in d2 a loong time ago and that was a time killer so d3 doesn't seem soo bad. 

cptBacon

Are any of the rest of you planning to play Destiny on launch? I've been waiting patiently for good multiplayer shooter to come out on the PS4, and I think Destiny is going to make the cut. I enjoyed the beta a lot.

Otherwise, my Steam library is filled with games I haven't played or have long since left behind.
A super detailed introduction to me:
O/O

My current stories:
The Art of Seduction | Grey Skies
Along for the Ride | She Let Herself Go

Ironwolf85

Dark souls and BEYOND

I've been playing since the the first PC games.
my livestream girl!

Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

Mikem

Quote from: cptBacon on August 11, 2014, 12:35:29 AM
Are any of the rest of you planning to play Destiny on launch? I've been waiting patiently for good multiplayer shooter to come out on the PS4, and I think Destiny is going to make the cut. I enjoyed the beta a lot.
Nope. Don't have the money for a next gen console. Don't have the money for a new game. I'm broke ass poor right now and have to deal with it until my new temp job starts, and even then most if not all of my money will go to bills. Besides I generally hate multiplayer games with few exceptions. I game for the story.

My Ons & Offs

Ironwolf85

I personally Loathe the Xbox one as a next gen, and see no reason to spend a ton of money for the PS4
besides don't they require online setup and registration anyways?
that's always a major turn off.
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.

Mikem

They definitely did screw the pooch on the One. The 360 was a marvel and you could play original xbox games on it as well. Now they claim the tech had advanced so much that it's literally impossible to make the next gen backwards compatible without installing another set of hardware alongside the new one which would increase cost and risk of overheat. Heh, in reality the "All in One Console" is a bit hypocritical.

I'll have to stick with my 360 Slim until it eventually dies, then I'm not sure what to do. I'm an Xbox guy through and through. I haven't touched a Playstation in probably a decade or more. And really all I want is the new Master Chief Collection and possibly CoD: Advanced Warfare and I'd be a happy camper.

My Ons & Offs

TheGlyphstone

PC master race, yo. ;D

Ironwolf85

The big draw of consoles is you don't have to play with hardware, software, or other things to get your fun.
The Xbox one took that away, requiring formats, DRM, then changing their minds, always online, then you can maybe be offline once you've registered your new game, then no, then yes.

If people wanna play with complicated hardware specs they will go PC.
Plug and Play is the biggest draw for consoles, which is why Xbox dropped the ball so hard it kinda crashed through the floor.

They also decided to be extremely hostile to indie devs, and relying only on AAA titles.
So they've had what... two releases worth mentioning this summer?
Most of the good stuff is still available for Xbox 360 anyway developers can't take a risk of an xbox one exclusive that likely won't reach a lot of people, and would fit on the 360 (which most people have) anyways.

Yeah the robo-sheep gamer is my pic for a reason. ^w^

Mikem

Quote from: Ironwolf85 on August 12, 2014, 04:41:28 PM
Most of the good stuff is still available for Xbox 360 anyway developers can't take a risk of an xbox one exclusive that likely won't reach a lot of people, and would fit on the 360 (which most people have) anyways.
All of the new Halo games coming out of 343i will be Xbox One exclusives...  :'(

My Ons & Offs

Ironwolf85

Quote from: Mikem on August 12, 2014, 06:38:00 PM
All of the new Halo games coming out of 343i will be Xbox One exclusives...  :'(

Don't worry about that, to be honest the halo games tend to be similar, ever since reach I just look up the plot.
then again I'm not into multiplayer that much.

Try Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 if you are itching for something interesting and different.

Mikem

Quote from: Ironwolf85 on August 12, 2014, 06:56:34 PM
Don't worry about that, to be honest the halo games tend to be similar, ever since reach I just look up the plot.
then again I'm not into multiplayer that much.

Try Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 if you are itching for something interesting and different.
I'm not into the multiplayer either. I just really, REALLY LOVE the Halo universe, and I'd give ANYTHING to replay the first three games with current gen graphics. I'm a diehard Campaign gamer and I don't really care if Halo isn't innovating it's gameplay mechanics. It does what it knows and what it knows is pretty damn nice.

My Ons & Offs

Ironwolf85

Quote from: Mikem on August 12, 2014, 07:14:13 PM
I'm not into the multiplayer either. I just really, REALLY LOVE the Halo universe, and I'd give ANYTHING to replay the first three games with current gen graphics. I'm a diehard Campaign gamer and I don't really care if Halo isn't innovating it's gameplay mechanics. It does what it knows and what it knows is pretty damn nice.
Aha Cool
I loved reach I just borrowed four.
But I always tear through the campaign quickly, I they'd kept the customization for the campaign missions.

Still I've found other things like Warframe, to satisfy that itch. Very good now that it's controller supported.

Nachtmahr

I suppose everyone here has games they enjoy - After all, isn't that what roleplaying is? ;)

But clever remarks aside, about a year ago, probably a bit less - 9 months or something, I stumbled upon this game that had been sitting on my Steam account for eons it seemed. I can't honestly recall how I got it - It's just one of those games you suck up during a sale somewhere because it looks decent, and you never get around to ever playing it. Pushing 400 titles on my Steam account, I have quite a lot of those. ^^'

Now, this little thing was called Dark Souls, and apparently it was a bit of cult-hit that I'd never really heard of. I finally got around to booting it up as a livestreamer I was watching started talking about. I remembered: I have that game.. Perhaps I should go ahead and see what it was? So, once in there I was wondering what was going on. It seemed almost ancient in the way it delivered it's tutorial, but it had a certain charm to it. As anyone who has played this game knows: It drops you in at the deep side of the pool. You aren't really allowed to get a solid footing before the game takes it's first jab at your kidneys!

I was amazed and in love from the ten-minute mark: This was just the game I had wanted! A game that doesn't hold your hand and force tutorial after tutorial down your throat, along with long, droll cutscenes featuring characters that you're supposed to care about but just can't because they keep stopping in tight hallways to exposition your head off when you JUST WANT TO SHOOT AT THINGS! (Bad Homefront! Bad!)

I went through the game, until I was about halfway. As many people who have played this game might find, your first character turns into a sort of experiment to get familiar with the system, and the unforgiving nature of the decisions you make forced me to give up this sinking ship of a character and start over - I didn't mind though! I was almost as excited as the first time around, because now that everything wasn't new anymore, I was prepared. I was prepared to prove my worth and swing about my sword with heavenly purpose and strike down my foes! I was going to prove to this game that it wouldn't knock me about so easily. (Then I got to the boss marking the first major turning point of the story, and I wept, creeping back into a dark, dank hole to lick my wounds - But that's a story for another day.)

Oh did I have fun with that game. I completed it, and completed it again, and then once more! On my third run I was still finding major secrets that I had completely missed on my initial playthrough, and on it wasn't until my fourth that I got access to the expansion! Thank the heavens for google.

After some 200 hours of playing that game with almost religious fervor I put down my controller and took a breather - I might just have found my favorite ever game, I thought to myself, and I cracked a smile. I had indeed found the one game to rival Half-Life 2 in terms of being the best thing I have ever gotten my greasy little hands on! This game was a masterpiece through and through, being both solid in it's gameplay, it's desing, it's story and in it's delivery of said story. You connect with the people you meet because they act like that: People you meet! They don't follow you around on your suicidal quest to do something or other but go about their own quests, most of which are entirely unrelated to yours! And they sure as hell aren't going to invite you along to get in their way. They don't pretend to be more nor less than what they are, and then they don't insist on shoving pointless trivia down your throat, or teach you the mechanics of a hand grenade which happen to be the same mechanics that hand grenades have used for every game they've been in since the mid-90s!

Already it's sequel was on the horizon, and I all but wet myself as over-excited puppy when it came into sight: Dark Souls 2!

Already I had to take a rather bitter blow - I had never experienced the wait for the original game to come out on PC, so the month between it's release and it's second release was one of many hardships. And when the game came into my hands, something immediately felt a little bit off. It was hard to say what it was, but it was clear that something had changed, and for the worse. Heartbroken and wounded I left the game for some 2-3 months, before I finally returned to give it a second chance - And it broke my heart again, but I kept at it. Eventually I got far enough into the game to get used to the changes, even if I still weren't all that willing to accept them, and as I write this I have poured just as much time and effort into this game as I have the original. It's not as good, but it's still a great game by modern standards - Because it is just that: A game.

There's something very refreshing about a game that's just a game, and doesn't try to be a movie, or make you cry or care about every last one of it's cardboard-cutout characters with the same personality in them as a dead tortoise. It seems that most modern 3xA companies have gotten the rather odd idea that gameplay comes after cinematics. That a broken but beautiful game (Crysis 3) is better than a tightly controlling, less picture-perfect game (Dead Space).

And now.. Now I've had my bleeding heart torn from my chest once more, and had it cast into the dirt only to be stomped upon. Once more with this 'new generation of gaming' publishers are going to insist to twist my arm and press me up against the window to the candy shop, all while whispering in my ear: 'Do you see that? You can't have that. None of it, if you don't do as I say. If you aren't a good little consumer, and go buy my product, you will only ever get to watch the other good little consumers eat all the candy on the other side of that window.'

Bloodborne, the obvious spiritual successor to a series I have grown to love, made by a company of extremely talented people, is going to be out of my reach unless I'm willing to pay more than 10x the actual price of the game, for a console to play it on.

I feel sad, and I feel betrayed - I'm jealous and I want what I won't ever have. I'll be standing here, outside the candy shop, with tears streaking my cheeks as I watch you all eat the candy, until I can finally have the stale remains that you kicked under the shelf some 5 years from now when the machine itself will be within my economical reach.

(T_T)
~Await the Dawn With Her Kiss of Redemption, My Firebird!~
~You Were the Queen of the Souls of Man Before There Was the Word~

Ironwolf85

I know the feeling on bloodborne
It's due in large part to the demon's souls series being a sony exclusive because when nobody would even touch From Software's first game outside japan (it wasn't runny & gunny enough according to some publishers) Sony took a chance and got it exclusive as part of the deal it turned out to be an amazing game. Knowing these guys this game may be available a few months later for PC.

Nachtmahr

It may be, but I wouldn't count on it. Considering how early into the PS4's release we are, and are going to be when this game comes out, I'd probably expect the exclusivity deal to either be at least a year or more, or permanent. The reason who Demon's Souls never made it to PC, and probably never will, is because it's actually Sony that owns it after all. So, it really depends on whether Sony is simply funding this project, or if it's a commissioned game from them. We most likely won't ever know for sure, as they're unlikely to make a public statement like that, but right now I'm almost convinced that Bloodborne will never see a PC release. Knowing From Software, they'd most likely have told us if they were planning to make a PC version, but of course they could be trying to underplay that for a bigger console sale than what DS2 got, with an overwhelming majority of players opting to wait for the PC release. (For good reason)

It would be wise of them to keep it under the table if they're planning to do a PC release, but I doubt they would since Sony is so directly involved, and stand to have no real benefit from a port, considering that they're struggling to attract developers as it is. If you take a good look at what's out on the PS4 right now - Compared to the line-up of the PS2 and PS3 it's literally nothing. What did they have on it's release - 14 games or something like that, about half of which were indies, and half of the other half were new IP's with no franchise to back them up? But I can't confirm those numbers.

Fact of the matter is that a lot of hardcore fans will bite the bitter fruit and get the console for the game. Hell, I would too, assuming I somehow got my hands on that much money with the freedom to spend it on a console that'll play 1-3 games in total. But as it stands, I only just recently got a PS3 at about 25% of it's original price, and the PS4 would have to be halved in price before I could afford one without having to go on a water-only diet for two weeks.
~Await the Dawn With Her Kiss of Redemption, My Firebird!~
~You Were the Queen of the Souls of Man Before There Was the Word~

Inkidu

E already has an off-topic gaming thread

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=153522.5225

This is really the third in the public section that's non specific.

If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Mikem

Quote from: Nachtmahr on August 13, 2014, 06:41:16 AM
(T_T)

All that's needed to be said about the glory of the Next Gen.

My Ons & Offs

EliTheInventor

Why are there literally barely any females on this thread?

Besides the sexism... Ness, Steam. I have a love/hate relationship with that program lately. I have so many games, but so little time to play them all, but then there are other games I play that aren't on Steam, but if I have Steam running while the other game is also running, my computer takes a massive royal dump. Steam likes to eat my computer for some dang reason, but I would gladly game with you fellow Steam users also if you play League of Legends I am also on their.
I've lately been playing a lot of single player games.