Re: Republican writer thinks women shouldn't be allowed to vote

Started by HairyHeretic, October 01, 2009, 07:01:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Overlord

Quote from: Elayne on October 17, 2009, 05:42:21 PM
Well, I have a few counter points to that.
  So, opposing that Union, wanting to break the Union up, it's the text book definition of un-American to my mind - You literally oppose the Union of States and want to break up the Americas.

And congratulations, our debate is over before it’s even begun, because you stuck a label on me and made an accusation here; a heinously incorrect one at that.

Next time, learn to actually read a post before responding to it.

Oniya

One thing though - there is nothing in the laws of this country that says that they don't have the right to secede.

However, when you consider the fact that they would have to start dealing with import/export issues with the rest of the states, it probably wouldn't be economically sound.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

kylie

Quote from: Oniya on October 17, 2009, 06:54:03 PM
One thing though - there is nothing in the laws of this country that says that they don't have the right to secede.

While I recognize that there is always a certain room for tension with regard to which choices are left to the states, I think it can be argued that representatives of those states historically locked them in.  At the least, secession implies some rationale by which reducing the size of the Union may be explained as not contrary to being under the Union in the first place.  Once you're under it, without an explicit justification, how do you legally declare yourself exempt from your own agreements?  I think that logically, there would have to be some kind of positive, very compelling exception.  Of course, in the Civil War people did take exception -- but they could not market it in a way that avoided conflict and the North's policies could be logically based upon the Constitution.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/constitution.overview.html  (Adding emphases.)
Preamble to the Constitution
     We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Article VI.
     This Constitution, and the laws of the United States which shall be made in pursuance thereof; and all treaties made, or which shall be made, under the authority of the United States, shall be the supreme law of the land; and the judges in every state shall be bound thereby, anything in the Constitution or laws of any State to the contrary notwithstanding.

Just from this, I would say there is actually a tendency here against secession unless that breakup is found to serve some greater good of the Union by most or all parties concerned.

Elayne

Quote from: The Overlord on October 17, 2009, 06:15:50 PM
And congratulations, our debate is over before it’s even begun, because you stuck a label on me and made an accusation here; a heinously incorrect one at that.

Next time, learn to actually read a post before responding to it.

Uh, I didn't put any labels on you or complain about anything that you've posted. 

Not exactly sure what you're upset about.
"Writing is like prostitution. First you do it for love, and then for a few close friends, and then for money." -Moliere

Oniya

It looks as if The Overlord took your use of 'you' in the generic:

QuoteYou literally oppose the Union of States and want to break up the Americas.

to be a 'you' in the specific - i.e., 'You, the person I am talking to, literally oppose...'
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Elayne

I don't really oppose anyone.  :P  I just put up articles or points I consider interesting and let other people discuss them.
"Writing is like prostitution. First you do it for love, and then for a few close friends, and then for money." -Moliere

Inkidu

Quote from: Oniya on October 17, 2009, 09:19:09 PM
It looks as if The Overlord took your use of 'you' in the generic:

to be a 'you' in the specific - i.e., 'You, the person I am talking to, literally oppose...'
And now you know why you is not to be used in formal writing. They hate it for that reason. You is far too personal heck even Britain uses the royal we.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

The Overlord

Quote from: Elayne on October 17, 2009, 09:16:03 PM
Uh, I didn't put any labels on you or complain about anything that you've posted. 

Not exactly sure what you're upset about.

Apologies if I misinterpreted.