What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lustful Bride

Quote from: TaintedAndDelish on October 18, 2015, 09:26:14 PM
Members of an isolated, secretive christian cult  ( Word of Life ) in upstate N.Y. are accused of beating their son to death with extension cords ( killing one and seriously wounding the other ) during an "intervention". Allegedly, the older son was accused from the pulpit, of practicing witchcraft. It's said that he also wanted to leave the cult. The purpose of the "intervention" of course, was to get them to confess their sins. Nice family. ( Mind you, the Manson family was more loving towards their own.)

It gets better - occasional roof top fires, suspicious neighbors, secrecy, puppies, black clothing and a leader who  thought everyone was "lusting" after his gorgeous wife ( Pictured below in orange with a gritty looking bondage-esc chain accessory. Smile Momma, you're on camera! )

http://culteducation.com/group/1321-word-of-life-christian-church/28880-glimpses-inside-secretive-sect-after-killing-at-upstate-new-york-church.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/15/nyregion/lucas-leonard-beating-death-at-upstate-new-york-church.html?_r=0

Kinda makes you want to hold hands around the rooftop fire and sing Kum-bay-ya, eh?

I freaking hate people like that...they are the kind of people that make me almost nervous to admit my faith. I wish I could spit on them! Just he very idea that they exist fills me with so much rage.

TaintedAndDelish

BAMF

Um. Could you spoiler the video? The screengrab for it is .. rather disturbing.
»O/O’s«»Ideas«»A/A's«
Great things are done
by a series of small things
brought together.

»Vincent Van Gogh«

eBadger

School principal withholds voting results, saying winners aren't diverse enough

An interesting moment in democracy v. race.  It's surprising how simple it is, and how incredibly justifiable, to negate the process when the results aren't to ones liking.  Although I wish there were more information available on why the students voted as they did. 

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: eBadger on October 20, 2015, 11:05:37 AM
School principal withholds voting results, saying winners aren't diverse enough

An interesting moment in democracy v. race.  It's surprising how simple it is, and how incredibly justifiable, to negate the process when the results aren't to ones liking.  Although I wish there were more information available on why the students voted as they did.
Funny how a white principal thinks she must step in to see to it that blacks are well-represented, while apparently under the impression that the white students who have been elected can't feel the same way. Does she believe only white adults can care about the representation of the blacks at the school, and white students are somehow incapable of the same concerns?
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Cassandra LeMay on October 20, 2015, 11:44:44 AM
Funny how a white principal thinks she must step in to see to it that blacks are well-represented, while apparently under the impression that the white students who have been elected can't feel the same way. Does she believe only white adults can care about the representation of the blacks at the school, and white students are somehow incapable of the same concerns?

How much you want to bet she never even attempted to consult with anyone else or even the black students or staff to get their opinion on the matter. :P

Lustful Bride

Canadian PM announces that they will begin pulling Canadian jets out of the fight against ISIS though no specific timeline was given.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/canada-withdrawing-fighter-jets-from-iraq-syria-trudeau-tells-obama/ar-BBmgrZg?li=AAa0dzB&ocid=HPCDHP

It sucks that the coalition is losing a member/some of its forces, but its their choice. Free country/people and all that. :)

Ironwolf85

Quote from: Lustful Bride on October 20, 2015, 01:24:41 PM
How much you want to bet she never even attempted to consult with anyone else or even the black students or staff to get their opinion on the matter. :P

most likely *facepalms*
I've known teachers like this that assume that because kids are naturally assholes to each other they are going to be a bunch of little bigots >.>
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

Mikem

Five year old boy, just days away from his birthday is severely mauled to death by two Pitbulls.

The kid had already undergone several open heart surgeries because he had born with a heart defect. This kid goes through that kind of shit, and then just before his birthday this happens to him at his friend's house. One of the sixteen bites severed an artery in his neck. I don't even know how to respond properly to something like this.
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. So why not take the scenic route?"

My Ons & Offs

Lustful Bride

This not the first time those pitbulls had attacked someone. They had been quarantined before for biting a 9 year old girl. The blame is on both the animals and the owners. Since they knew that the dogs had a violent history.

I have a pitbull of my own but I respect it and know that whenever im interacting with her she is a violent beast. I take the proper precautions and always keep her breed's temperament in mind. Its like handling a gun. You always remember that if not handled properly it can kill.

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Lustful Bride on October 20, 2015, 06:29:38 PM
Canadian PM announces that they will begin pulling Canadian jets out of the fight against ISIS though no specific timeline was given.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/canada-withdrawing-fighter-jets-from-iraq-syria-trudeau-tells-obama/ar-BBmgrZg?li=AAa0dzB&ocid=HPCDHP

It sucks that the coalition is losing a member/some of its forces, but its their choice. Free country/people and all that. :)
Well, he's keeping a campaign promise. And Canada's CF-18s are getting pretty old with no replacement in sight yet, what with the F-35 delayed and way above originally budgeted costs. Sending them in the first place was stretching resources and more gesture politics than anything else.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

Cassandra LeMay

Benjamin Netanyahu lays the blame for the extermination of millions of Jews by the Nazis on the then Grand Mufti of Jerusalem.
QuoteHe said that the pair met in November 1941, and claimed: "Hitler didn't want to exterminate the Jews at the time, he wanted to expel the Jew. And Haj Amin al-Husseini went to Hitler and said, 'If you expel them, they'll all come here (to Palestine).' According to Netanyahu, Hitler then asked: "What should I do with them?" and the Mufti replied: "Burn them."

Granted, the Grand Mufti wasn't exactly a friend of the British in Palestina and their plans for the region. According to the BBC:
QuoteHusseini, who died in 1974, was a Palestinian nationalist leader who led violent campaigns against Jews and the British authorities in what was then British Mandate Palestine in the 1920s and 1930s.

He fled the territory in 1937, but continued his campaign to oppose British plans to partition it into a Jewish state and an Arab one, allying himself with the Nazis during World War Two.

But to blame a Palestinian for the mass murder of the Jews during WWII? That's a bit much, even for Netanyahu.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

Mikem

A New Game popped up on Steam Greenlight, your typical Online Multiplayer First Person Shooter survival flick. However this time the Developers are implementing a feature that could either cement them in gaming history, or run their game quickly into the ground...or both. The feature? Once you die in game, that's it. You're gone. The game blocks your steam account. Your Play button stops working.

This is honestly the stupidest, and scariest thing a game could do. They're only asking for $10 a copy, but once you're in, you're literally fighting for your life, fighting for your ability to play. And what's even worse? If another player "kills" you, that's not the actual end. That player then has the option of either forgiving you and saving your life, taking you hostage as a slave, humiliating you by pissing on your body, or just downright executing you.

Not sure if want.
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. So why not take the scenic route?"

My Ons & Offs

eBadger

Ten bucks for a one shot game?  Yeah, I'll pass. 

TaintedAndDelish

Quote from: Mikem on October 21, 2015, 08:58:29 PM
A New Game popped up on Steam Greenlight, your typical Online Multiplayer First Person Shooter survival flick. However this time the Developers are implementing a feature that could either cement them in gaming history, or run their game quickly into the ground...or both. The feature? Once you die in game, that's it. You're gone. The game blocks your steam account. Your Play button stops working.

This is honestly the stupidest, and scariest thing a game could do. They're only asking for $10 a copy, but once you're in, you're literally fighting for your life, fighting for your ability to play. And what's even worse? If another player "kills" you, that's not the actual end. That player then has the option of either forgiving you and saving your life, taking you hostage as a slave, humiliating you by pissing on your body, or just downright executing you.

Not sure if want.

Another perspective on this - not having permanent character death in games cheapens life and encourages players to take chances that they would not take in real life. Players do stupid things that no reasonable character would do and that makes the game less believable in some ways.  I don't know If I agree with losing your account and having to purchase a new one upon character death. I think having to make a new character is sufficient to make death real.

TaintedAndDelish

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Mikem on October 21, 2015, 08:58:29 PM

Not sure if want.

I suspect they'll get some initial interest for novelty value, and amongst the troll types, but long term? Not a chance.

Quote from: TaintedAndDelish on October 22, 2015, 03:26:25 AM
Another perspective on this - not having permanent character death in games cheapens life and encourages players to take chances that they would not take in real life. Players do stupid things that no reasonable character would do and that makes the game less believable in some ways.  I don't know If I agree with losing your account and having to purchase a new one upon character death. I think having to make a new character is sufficient to make death real.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm fairly certain I can tell the difference between real life and a game  :P  Plus I play games to get away from everything I have to do in real life.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

gaggedLouise

A masked man storms into a school in Trollhättan, western Sweden, and attacks several people in class with a sword. A teacher is killed, and a number of the pupils are seriously injured. The attacker was shot in his chest by police soon after the intrusion, and at this point in time it seems that both he, a second teacher and a boy aged 11 have been taken to hospital in very serious condition.

This is shocking stuff, but it was a menace waiting to happen. There have never been any fully-fledged school shootings or school massacres in Sweden, not with fatalities or hostages; this sadly looks like the first of its kind and it's been feeling increasingly likely to happen over the last couple of years. And just like in Oregon a few weeks back, it happened in a part of the country where you really wouldn't have expected it, not in a big city but in a fairly rural region with few acts of violence.

Update: the attacker (who is said to have been caucasian, and dressed up as a Jedi) and the boy have both died at the hospital.  :-(

The same day, almost at the same time, a few cabinet ministers in Stockholm hold the latest in a series of press briefings and all but admit that the government is losing control over the response of this country to the migrants and refugees crisis. Projected costs for handling immigration, asylum seekers and refugees (and assisting their needs once they've been admitted) are rocketing. people are pouring in to the tune of 2,000 or more a day - in a country of barely ten million people - many of them without any passports or real identity documents, and no one has any serious plan for how to house these people or begin to find jobs for them in a country that's...very different from the places they came from. Both jobs and affordable housing are in short supply around here - earlier this month it was announced that military-style tent camps would be used "as a last resort" - in the current situation, that's going to mean serious, widespread use of tent camps all over the country for several months, with people who have no experience at all of a Nordic winter. This is ridiculous and irresponsible. Discussions with the opposition parties about how to handle immigration policies and what to do about it are trailing and don't seem to be getting anywhere. At the press briefing those ministers said they would take up loans abroad equal to several billion dollars to finance a more or less open-ended commitment to "do what it takes" while most of the rest of Europe are much more cautious or frankly, sitting on their hands. In the end they'll have to raise some taxes too, and that won't be the end of it.

I am very divided about this. As noble as their objectives are (I completely support aiding refugees and people fleeing war or famine) , it's irresponsible to just take this big a piece of the cake without making sure that one has the money and the means to do it. Nobody's going to be fooled by promises that "we can borrow the money" - sure, for some time, but before long it's going to hurt both the economy of the country and some basic services of government - defence, education, old age pensions, health care. Plus the risk of heavy violence, in more ways than one likes to think of...  >:(

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Lustful Bride

First US ground serviceman killed in battle against ISIS.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/us-serviceman-killed-in-hostage-rescue-mission-in-iraq/ar-BBmkmi5?li=AAa0dzB&ocid=iehp

The man was a Special Forces operator killed in a hostage rescue mission. And while he lost his life the mission was still a success and all 70 hostages were successfully rescued after a battle that lasted multiple hours.

Oniya

Quote from: TaintedAndDelish on October 22, 2015, 03:26:25 AM

It doesn't just block your game account - it blocks your Steam account.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Ebb

Quote from: Oniya on October 22, 2015, 12:25:09 PM
It doesn't just block your game account - it blocks your Steam account.

I don't believe that's true, although the writing in one review I read was ambiguous. It blocks that particular Steam ID from playing that particular game. It doesn't have any effect on any other games that you've purchased through Steam. I doubt whether that kind of thing would even be legal.

So if you pay ten bucks and die, your recourse is to start up a separate Steam account under a new email address, pay another ten bucks and give it another go. If you have a burning desire to throw away another ten dollars.

gaggedLouise

Yeah, I certainly read Mikem's post as "if you're defeated in this game, then your Steam account dies - or the one who "killed" you can choose to enslave ýour account and profile, giving him/her admin control in some way of whatever you're allowed to do".  ::)

But just perhaps that's too harsh a reading - if it was that way. it would be bad business for Steam. Every time the game is played, they'd run a big risk of seeing one account on the site getting knocked out. Diminishing game sales on Steam, anyone?

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

eBadger

The original article is pretty comprehensive. 

QuoteDie once and you’re done. One Life, its developers told me, will lock out your Steam account as soon as you kick the bucket. The “play” button in your launcher will go gray, and you’ll only be able to stare somberly at the history of your character.

Quotethere’s no alternative means of playing after you kick the bucket

You would have to (but can) create a new Steam account for another try:

QuoteOne Life’s developers also told me that they won’t be able to stop people from creating entirely new Steam accounts to play again. However, they hope that players honor the game’s one-and-done deal, to keep it authentic.

It's like they've never been on the internet. 

There are also ways to humiliate (and possibly enslave) your opponents. 

QuoteNo other game will give you this feeling of power over other people.

So basically it's the wet dream of every socially inept basement troll that can get their hands on mommy's credit card. 

Oniya

Quote from: Ebb on October 22, 2015, 01:14:22 PM
I don't believe that's true, although the writing in one review I read was ambiguous. It blocks that particular Steam ID from playing that particular game. It doesn't have any effect on any other games that you've purchased through Steam. I doubt whether that kind of thing would even be legal.

So if you pay ten bucks and die, your recourse is to start up a separate Steam account under a new email address, pay another ten bucks and give it another go. If you have a burning desire to throw away another ten dollars.

Right - that's what I was trying to say.  You'd have to create a new Steam account (is there a monthly fee for that?) for that particular game in order to play it again.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Ebb

Quote from: Oniya on October 22, 2015, 02:36:16 PM
Right - that's what I was trying to say.  You'd have to create a new Steam account (is there a monthly fee for that?) for that particular game in order to play it again.

Gotcha. I think Steam accounts are free, but mainly you'd be giving up the convenience of having all of your games in one place, all of your achievements, friends lists, etc. It'd be like having a whole separate Elliquiy account (DO NOT DO THIS THIS IS BAD AND WRONG) just to post in a single group game.

So of course people will do this anyway. I bet it'll be no more than a week before some sociopath has blown five hundred bucks on dying over and over in this new game.