News:

Main Menu

Paranormal

Started by Kate, October 09, 2009, 11:25:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

Quote from: Silk on October 17, 2009, 09:55:33 AM
Investigating them is not career suicide, if there is reason to suspect there may be something behind them that is not explainable, its people jumping to the conclusion that crop circle = alien that is career suicide
God no. So many people do it nowadays it's practically mainstream. Though I think aliens do it just to fuck with us.

"Hey Geeborp, look! No dude look. They look like Zhandags pecking around the hydroponics gardens!"
"Priceless dude."
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Kate

I don't think people "jump" to explain it as alien intellegence.

They explore the following first

"can a helicopter make this? Or any other tool we know"
"can a bunch of organized hippies do this ?"
"Is there any fields we know of that can do this"
"Can this be a natural phenomena of the earth ? Magnetic field changes or something ?"

What has many scratching their head is the explanation that it WAS human
creates more if's and buts than the "alien" explanation.

The "they form in minutes" - is one thing that makes it really hard to associate with people being the cause, they also have been shown to some tribal American Indians that have unparalleled connection to synergy/spiritualism - and they apparently create massive emotive changes within them and are stunned others can't "get them" ... there are many things suggesting they are caused by phenomena we are not ourselves familiar with - but I agree with Saerra, camps just letting other schools of thought "do there thing" without judgment would help, the fastest way to get to understand them would be if it was tackled from many perspectives - and each perspective wasn't trying to discredit or shame the other.

One funny explanation I read was crop circles are UFO donuts or burnouts ...
like when someone immature has a new car - they make skid marks etc ... because they are being immature - effectively alien graffiti

Le RandomBloke

There's actually plenty of documentaries showing how they (humans) make the crop circles. Just very creative artists if you ask me. Now, I believe in 'aliens' but to go as far to say they'd come and make a few crop circles seems a bit too far fetched for me. Of course, feel free to think what you like, but I just can't see the reason why they'd do it. Unless it was in fact for the lulz, if so, I like them already. Good sense of humour gets you far!

Personally, I find it bullocks. They used to say lightning and storms were the gods getting angry, we know better now. Not to say I'm close minded, but I am sceptical nonetheless. I won't just jump to conclusions everytime something slightly out of the ordinary happens.

But yea, I saw a documentary on National Geographic about it recently, a bunch of guys making crazy crop circles rather fast.

"Give me all your true hate and I’ll translate it in our bed into never seen passion."

Kate

How did they do the ones that don't have footprints or any tracks anywhere near them ?

MercyfulFate

Quote from: Silk on October 17, 2009, 06:10:13 AM
I do find it funny how you guys seem to think that science is openly discrediting the paranormal and supernatural, as if it doesn't fit into their littlebox of existence, when science would be more than Happy to hear about these events, IF there was some evidence that it happened, anecdotal evidence is not enough to sway the scientific community, which is normally the most anyone is able to bring up regarding these situations.

Science admits it does not have all the answers and will openly say it does not have a answer for X at this time. It is this sort of thing that tries to make the answers for themselves, which is ultimately detrimental to society, because we can and will not expand our understanding of the world if we just say "aw it was ghosts/aliens/god/flying spaghetti monster"
because we will be no closer to the real answer which is found by testing and evidence, we now know that earthquakes are caused by tectonic shifts and not the wrath of god.

We allways have to be careful in this day and age because with our level of technology its easier and easier to hoax such things like ghost sightings. If I was to put a loud booming voice in a Church's rigged up sound system and speak through it, how many people would think it is the word of god talking to them?

I'm not necessarily speaking about just science and scientists, I'm speaking of skeptical people moreso.

For example: You get a distinct voice on a recorder saying something like "Go Home". If you run it through an audio program, you find it's at a level lower than human hearing can pick up.

Could it be random radio waves? Maybe. However most skeptics who do the "lalala can't hear you" say that because it could possibly be radio waves, that's what it has to be. Even if the voice on the tape is a direct situational response to what you say, or something of the like.

Or if you show them a picture that's been proven to be real and could not have been faked, they will say it was faked, even if that's not possible at all.

I personally believe there are scientific explanations to paranormal things. I mean people are currently developing invisibility cloaks, something that would have been dismissed as insane a hundred years ago. There's also mind control projects in the works, artificial intelligence, weather control and a whole bunch of stuff most people would think is beyond anything we can do.

Silk

Quote from: Kate on October 19, 2009, 12:22:38 AM
How did they do the ones that don't have footprints or any tracks anywhere near them ?
Without independent access to the situation in question, how can you expect me to give you a answer? Remember that Video I showed and the example used on that? If I had access I could give you a answer but otherwise how can you expect one. That is like saying "OK I hid a brown box in this room, you must guess where it is, but your not allowed to see inside the room at all"

Kate

It was directed at the person that said "there are plenty of docos that show how they are made by people"

I'm sure doing a documentary of how to do some of the hoaxes would explain all crop circle phenomena .... to some.

No one is preventing the scientists to "inside the room Silk" ... some scientists are trying.

Silk

Just pointing out the "OK explain this one to me" Doesn't cut it in actual debate, because unless said person has been there, gathered his own evidence and come up with his theories for that one, it is never going to amount to much saying what it is unless it has been outright prove, because otherwise it is passed by word of mouth, and things could have been missed or edited out, or exaggerated over time.

It is fruitless to ask someone to explain if they have not been given the chance to make their explanation first hand, otherwise your just listening to someone Else's explanation from a repeated process. Which again is fruitless because although someone may not be able to explain something, does not make it unexplainable.

Kate

Silk :)

I was addressing this ..

"There's actually plenty of documentaries showing how they (humans) make the crop circles. "
- RandomClown

Ie he believed they explained crop circles.