Vegan Recipes for Dummies (or beginners)

Started by Trieste, March 10, 2013, 11:35:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Golden Touch

I am on my phone so I will not type a massive post but Sin and I use yummly.com to search for recipes. It is a massive search engine and you can narrow your options quite well.

"Yesterday was the easy day."
Ideas (Open) /What Floats My Boat\ Absences

Madriv

I could live off of this soup: White Bean & Apple Chili   (dairy products not needed)

And this bread: No-Knead Bread

Cecilia

Made a vegan mole this weekend that was quick and easy as well as DELICIOUS.  Everyone gave it a thumbs up.

Ryven

I make vegan french toast at work.  It's a pain in the ass to cook because it sticks, but once it's done, it turns out alright.

Trieste

What did you use for the bread, Ryv?

I made vegan tacos tonight and they were delicious. I had field peas in the freezer, so I simmered 'em till they were mushy, then mixed taco seasoning in with them and made tacos as usual (minus the cheese and sour cream I normally would use). Very good. I think in the future I will try to make sure I have salsa and guacamole on hand for them - preferably homemade, because homemade salsa and guac are heaven.

Ryven

The bread we use is a generic white texas toast which has no dairy or eggs in it.  You can use whatever bread you want for it though.  The batter was made up of soy milk, flour, sugar, and cinnamon.  If it were me making it, I would substitute some of the sugar for brown sugar, add a few more spices, and perhaps try a different milk like rice or almond.  The soy milk is what makes it stick so badly, but after the first batch, it seems to pull away better.

Oniya

Mr Oniya puts vanilla in his (regular) French Toast batter.  Assuming that the soy/rice/almond milk isn't already flavored that way, it does make a nice addition.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Cecilia

I've never put flour in my French toast...for vegan I have been known to use some pumpkin purée mixed in with plainsoy milk or almond milk and spices.  I usually soak mine overnight so the base bread is totally soaked and use a little spray oil in a nonstick pan or on our griddle.  Never sticks.

Made awesome backeyed pea curry tonight with quinoa and plantains.  Was a hit.

Ryven

I think what they were going for at work was to give it more body.  It's also more economical from a 'business' stand point since flour is much less expensive than pumpkin puree when you're feeding 1000+ people.

Trieste

Things I learned from being vegan #36: The pot I'm using for steaming veggies is never big enough.

Elandra

I highly recommend the The Detoxinista. Her recipes are easy and amazingly tasty.
~~~ ONs & OFFs ~~~ Requests ~~~