Monsterhearts? (2?)

Started by Florence, February 16, 2018, 09:40:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florence

So I've never played Monsterhearts before, but I really kinda wanna.

Literally as I was typing this I learned Monsterhearts 2 was a thing.

I'm totally fine with any version. I would just really love to give the game a shot.

It seems like a really interesting game, and one well suited for rp on this site.

Obviously I'd like the game to be LGBT+ friendly, because... well, it's Monsterhearts.
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

Florence

Just tacking this on in case anyone comes across this and has no idea what I'm talking about:

https://buriedwithoutceremony.com/monsterhearts

To quote wikipedia:

QuoteMonsterhearts is set in a fictional high school that along with the surrounding environment is named and fleshed out by all players during character creation. In order to start creating the setting, each player first picks a character class (called a "skin"), with each skin being both a type of monster and a metaphor for the struggles of a teenager. As a part of the character creation process and by using the elements provided as a part of their skins, the players define their characters' relationships with each other and with other elements of the setting.

Then the homeroom for their high school class is drawn, with the players filling in where their characters sit. The GM (known in Monsterhearts as the MC) then fills in some of the rest, leaving blanks for further exploration. At the end of character creation the characters will all have "strings" on each other that can be spent to manipulate, and more can be gained in the course of play.

In other words, it's basically a teen (I think we can all just assume the main characters are of legal age for the sake of site rules) high school drama tabletop rpg with monsters.

Monsterhearts 2 is, as far as I can tell, basically an updated version of the original.
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

clonkertink

Longtime Monsterhearts fan here. I'm on board. Life's a little busy for me to MC the game at the moment, but you'd have an eager player. I've played it live several times, and my entire group loved it.

I'd definitely recommend 2e. Can't remember all of the changes off the top of my head, but almost all of the changes they made were positive in my view.

Florence

Well, MC or no, an experienced player would be welcome, I'm sure.

I've never played it before in my life, though I've been looking over the system.

If this gets off the ground, I think I may try my hand at either the Witch or the Vampire. The Witch seems possibly a bit more beginner friendly as they seem somewhat less catastrophically flawed, so it may be easier to ease into the experience with a character like that. On the other hand, it sounds like characters flaws are half the fun (maybe more than half), and the Vampire certainly sounds like a more dangerously flawed character type.

I'm probably overthinking a game that so far has 2 prospective players and no MC.

wander

I like Monsterhearts, so I'll join in to play. :)

For the issue on setting, in the UK we have sixth form, which is basically years 16-18 when in highschool with a variant of the usual uniform to show we were in that section. Since site rules say 16+ I think that'd suit things nicely. If you wanted something like that, that is. :)

clonkertink

Vampire was the first character I played in MH and it was a lot of fun. He tended to find himself in situations where keeping his strings was often less convenient that sleeping with someone and clearing out all the sexual tension-based conditions placed on him.

Florence

Quote from: wander on February 17, 2018, 09:56:29 AM
I like Monsterhearts, so I'll join in to play. :)

For the issue on setting, in the UK we have sixth form, which is basically years 16-18 when in highschool with a variant of the usual uniform to show we were in that section. Since site rules say 16+ I think that'd suit things nicely. If you wanted something like that, that is. :)

I think something like that would work great.

The Jackal

I would be interested to be a player in this since the last one I tried to join never got past the strings phase.  I was wondering though if you do find someone to MC this what kind of posting length/frequency would you be looking for?

Florence

I'm not really married to any particulars in that regard, so I can probably work with whatever the rest of the group wants to shoot for.

The Jackal

Nice, well if this does get off the ground I would be interested in trying the serpentine skin out for size.

Florence

Hopefully it will, but I haven't seen anyone up for MCing yet, so... Time will tell, I guess.

Rook Seidhr

I'll be honest, I'm much more interested in regularly-scheduled text chat games on Discord, but right now I'm having trouble finding one, so I'm willing to MC a forum game of Monsterhearts 2e. I've run Monsterhearts before, though all the times I've tried to do it play-by-post have crashed and burned (as is the way of 80% of play-by-post games); I've also played it a lot, in person and online.

Ideally I would like 4–5 players for the game, so I'd be accepting 6 in the expectation that some would evanesce. Acceptance would not be first come, first served. I would expect extremely rapid turnaround—minimum one post per day, usually more.

Are people still interested?

wander

I'll jump in if you'd have me, Rook.

Rook Seidhr

Wander, since you're the only one who responded, I'm going to assume interest has faded.