Marvel Vs. DC on the Silver Screen

Started by Mathim, August 07, 2014, 02:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mathim

If Joss Whedon (or, as is speculated, James Gunn, who is allegedly being 'groomed' to take up Whedon's mantle in the MCU) changes his name legally to James Cameron, I'm not worried about that. Even Avengers 3 might not have the big clash between the Avengers/Guardians (and possibly Defenders, from the TV shows they're putting together) and Thanos' forces over the Infiniti Gauntlet; they might be holding out on that til later still. I wouldn't mind seeing an MCU-only version of the Secret Wars being put on in the meantime, though. Doing that with the limited rogues' gallery they have, and without the X-Men, Spidey or F4, it would be interesting to see how they would put that together (even at 3 hours, they'd probably have to make it a two-parter).
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Chris Brady

This is FAN MADE but looks kinda cool, now if Warner Brothers could do something like this, without trying their usual BS...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhHoUGlTFEo
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Mathim

Frankly I'd rather see that than DC's upcoming 'Gotham' show that actually is in development. I mean, without Batman, what's the point? And is it just me or does the Nightwing logo and the Agents of SHIELD symbol look a little too similar?

Also I've been wondering about this; of all the possible Defenders members (the ones getting their own shows that are part of the MCU continuity) which do you guys think should get an actual movie? In my opinion, Iron Fist would be the coolest one to make a movie of since his origin is pretty badass and supernatural compared to some of the others.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Top Cat

Quote from: Mathim on September 18, 2014, 12:50:24 PM
Frankly I'd rather see that than DC's upcoming 'Gotham' show that actually is in development. I mean, without Batman, what's the point?
The point of Gotham is backstory - giving some more insight into Penguin, Riddler, Catwoman, and most specifically James Gordon - as well as also dipping into how Alfred Pennyworth raised Bruce following his parents' murder. It will also start diving into other characters that are probably going to be explored in-depth - they've teased about Joker.

Personally, I think that's a fantastic idea, and I'm quite interested in how it's been presented so far. Stella and I will definitely be watching it, as well as The Flash and Arrow, this fall. I just hope that they don't borrow too much from Batman: Year One. I have no respect for Frank Miller.

Edit: I do like how that Nightwing fan production was done. Very well done, and well in line with the characters.
O/O / Story Seeds
Current posting speed: Slow to moderate. Most threads should get a response within 24 hours, with occasional dips as RL makes demands.
If I am more than a week behind on a story post, please feel free to PM me about it.
I am present in Elliquiy's Discord channel. If you want to chat about a story idea, feel free to DM me there.

Mathim

Quote from: Top Cat on September 18, 2014, 02:35:51 PM
The point of Gotham is backstory - giving some more insight into Penguin, Riddler, Catwoman, and most specifically James Gordon - as well as also dipping into how Alfred Pennyworth raised Bruce following his parents' murder. It will also start diving into other characters that are probably going to be explored in-depth - they've teased about Joker.

Personally, I think that's a fantastic idea, and I'm quite interested in how it's been presented so far. Stella and I will definitely be watching it, as well as The Flash and Arrow, this fall. I just hope that they don't borrow too much from Batman: Year One. I have no respect for Frank Miller.

Edit: I do like how that Nightwing fan production was done. Very well done, and well in line with the characters.

You mean all the boring crap? That's what the first 1/3 of superhero origin films are for, not entire seasons of TV series. At least Smallville introduced tons of stuff from adult Superman's life so it wasn't all 'before he became a hero'. I'd rather see a young Bruce traveling the world, learning stuff from his many varying trainers and escape artists and such. And I'm not big on Frank Miller either, with anything that has his name on it, Batman or otherwise.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Mathim on September 18, 2014, 02:47:53 PM
You mean all the boring crap? That's what the first 1/3 of superhero origin films are for, not entire seasons of TV series. At least Smallville introduced tons of stuff from adult Superman's life so it wasn't all 'before he became a hero'. I'd rather see a young Bruce traveling the world, learning stuff from his many varying trainers and escape artists and such. And I'm not big on Frank Miller either, with anything that has his name on it, Batman or otherwise.

Wouldn't this be something you support, then? If they take the 'boring crap' and out it all into TV series, that frees up said 1/3 of the superhero film for non-boring crap.

Mathim

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on September 18, 2014, 03:19:02 PM
Wouldn't this be something you support, then? If they take the 'boring crap' and out it all into TV series, that frees up said 1/3 of the superhero film for non-boring crap.

As long as they don't overwhelm you with it, it's not that bad. But from what I have heard about Gotham, it would be like dragging out the whole "Steve Rodgers before he became Captain America" thing for a 13-episode season rather than the 20 minutes or so it took up in The First Avenger. You could make the pilot episode of Gotham a pure origin story but from that point, dwelling on it would be ratings poison, or so logic would suggest. Iron Man was really the only MCU film that actually really needed that amount of time to establish his origin as opposed to him getting into the swing of things which wasn't so difficult or lengthy for the other Phase 1 dudes.

Chris Brady

Personally, the issue I have with Gotham is that...  Until Batman shows up, the were no 'victories' by the police.  Nothing changed, in fact, crap just got worse, and worse, and worse.  And that sucks for a superhero story.  It barely worked for X-Files.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Top Cat

Quote from: Mathim on September 18, 2014, 02:47:53 PM
*shrug* I think that following the introduction of James Gordon into crime-riddled Gotham has a great deal of potential. But, YMMV - not everyone views the same things the same way, of course.

In other news, the Deadpool movie has officially been announced as of an hour or so ago - slated for February 2016.  ^-^
O/O / Story Seeds
Current posting speed: Slow to moderate. Most threads should get a response within 24 hours, with occasional dips as RL makes demands.
If I am more than a week behind on a story post, please feel free to PM me about it.
I am present in Elliquiy's Discord channel. If you want to chat about a story idea, feel free to DM me there.

TheGlyphstone

From Entertainment Weekly's article:

It’s impossible to know if Deadpool can live up to years of fan hype, or if such an immediately weird property can connect with the mainstream public. But worth pointing out that Deadpool hasn’t started filming yet and is already the best superhero movie Ryan Reynolds has ever made.

Mathim

You gotta be shitting me. I'm not that familiar with his character or how he's going to fit into the established X-Men continuity (or if they're even going to bother trying; I suppose they have a clean slate with him since DOFP changed Wolverine's whole past and his relation with Stryker's unit.) I just know I'm not as excited as most about it. I'm still butt-hurt about The Wolverine being what it was instead of them taking the opportunity to make a movie centered around him more interesting by introducing characters like his bastard son Daken and female clone X-23. Dropping the three of them into Japan and throwing in the REAL Silver Samurai would have been a slice of fried gold. And I heard they were going to do yet another standalone Wolvy pic, though unless they plan to have it go heavy on the mutant side of things, I'm not losing sleep waiting for that one, either. X-Men Apocalypse is all I'm really excited about from Fox right now.

Some interesting stuff on youtube I wanted to share with you guys (just watch the video if you don't care about spoilers). The gist is, a lot of hints have been dropped about the possible involvement of Namor in the MCU despite his film rights still being in Universal's hands. Just something to think about (I know I'd like to see it; the more new heroes, the better).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biXk8X7UNaQ