Gal Godot confirmed as Wonder Woman for Batman vs Superman

Started by apygoos, December 04, 2013, 01:44:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neysha

Zack Snyder is directing?

And Gal Gadot is going to be Wonder Woman?

She's a fine actress... noting spectacular or anything but she did well enough IMHO so she could probably play Wonder Woman fine. No reason to think she couldn't. But when I saw her bikini scene in Fast Five, I was kinda hoping she was strutting through the beach side dining area to pick up a sandwich. 
My Request Thread
Ons & Offs/Role-Plays Current and Past
FemDex: Index of Fictional Women
F-List Profiles: Constance Carrington, Damashi, SCP6969
Prepare For The Next Eight Years
Find me on Discord at: mnblend6567
Credit for Avatar goes to "LoveandSqualor" on Deviant Art. (and Hayley Williams)

drivebyte

An actresses's looks, given enough time to prepare, are the least important things for her ability to play a role.

1. Character looks are re-invented constantly in comic books
2. The movie universe isn't the comic book universe, they are/can be different Earths (Marvel has 616 and something else I believe)
3. Most importantly, special effects professionals are incredible. They can basically do whatever they need to do. Whether this is darken her skin tone or change her entire face like in Looper or whatever, it literally doesn't matter. Life is easier if they start at a similar spot, but they get to get paid more if it's harder so as long as you are the other 99.9% it doesn't matter.
4. If she isn't very muscular now, Hollywood has literally the best trainers in the entire world and everywhere. The best nutritionists. Also, this becomes her job. It is her job to get built and cut up. So she will. And her company will make sure that she succeeds.

The thing to question here is that her main roles are all Fast & the Furious roles which were objectively awful movies that had the potential to be entertaining because of the silly plot idea and the audience acceptance. No one looked at those movies and said, "good golly these are fantastic actors."

People should stop bitching about her looks and start complaining about her ability (or lack). I think I was drunk every time I saw a F&F movie, so I can't comment. 

Inkidu

I love the phrase, "objectively bad movies." While I've got no feelings one way or another. I've seen worse, I've seen better. I don't think you can apply that oxymoron to a series that has spawned six movies. The only objective measure would be the gate, and they sell well. :\

More on topic, I still don't have high hopes because Wonder Woman's not appearing in her own movie. I'm willing to take that as a sign.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

drivebyte

Those movies don't sell well because they are good movies, they sell well because they are entertaining to large groups because A. they like movies which are focused on things that explode, pretty people, and chase sequences or B. they pay to go to an experience to make fun of it.

I'm not saying that people don't get enjoyment from the movies. I'm not saying that they are not fun. They certainly have their "wow" factor.

I am saying that they are bad movies (formulaic, poor acting, poor plot/story, poor critical reviews without caveats, etc).

Sharknado got some of the highest reviews of any made for TV movie ever primarily because it was bad and people wanted to watch it to play drinking games. Ratings are a poor indicator of quality, they measure noise/popularity.

My real point is that I have no care about what she looks like, but I do care about if she can act. Can anyone confirm/deny?

Shjade

Quote from: drivebyte on December 05, 2013, 07:13:24 PM
Those movies don't sell well because they are good movies, they sell well because they are entertaining to large groups

You have defeated your argument at this point. If they entertain large groups then, objectively, they aren't awful movies, given the goal of those movies is to entertain large groups (and, thereby, profit).

The Room is an awful movie. F&F movies are just shallow cash grabs.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Relius

I'm rather surprised DC is pushing for so many characters to be in, what I initially assumed to be, the Man of Steel sequel. What makes the Marvel superhero movies so great, in my opinion, is that we've had time to see all the heroes within their own movies before coming together in the Avengers. Instead of trying to play catch-up with Marvel, DC should just focus on making their franchise great. Trying to compete with Avengers 2 by forcing characters together just doesn't sound like a winning formula to me. A quick buck? Sure. Franchise material? Not so much.

As far as Gal Godot goes, I'll reserve judgement until I see what they have in mind for her Wonder Woman design. Allot can change between now and then

scarletgender

I agree with you.  I have no problem with Bat Afleck as Batman, or the newly announced Wonder Woman.  But in all this, poor Henry Cavill's Superman is all but forgotten.  Surely in a Man of Steel sequel we should be getting to know him more, seeing some development.  Having him straight away having to share time with these other big name heroes seems like too much too soon.  Even if they just cameo its still a cop out.  Focus on Superman - nail him, get it really right, then bring in others in a shared movie.

Mathim

It's DC's own fucking fault for not following the Marvel gravy train by making standalone films leading up to the JLA movie. How the hell are they going to make a Batman/Superman film without first rebooting Batman after the completely self-contained Dark Knight trilogy? This is why in all of those 'Everything Wrong With 'X' in 'Y' Minutes or Less' videos on youtube, every DC comics film's first flaw is 'DC Comics'. The fact that they decided to start those Justice League films with Green Lantern (which was horrible) instead of the mainstays like Superman or even the Flash or Wonder Woman shows that they have no idea what they're doing. Even Man of Steel had a hard time being entertaining or engaging. This upcoming mix-and-match grab-bag that seems to be pulling a new continuity out of someone's ass is not exactly inspiring hope. I'll save my money for Avengers: Age of Ultron, thanks.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Chris Brady

Mathim, it's Warner Brothers, unlike the Animated division, they stick their hands directly into the live action movies, and like I said, they have no idea what a Superhero film is about.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

apygoos

Denzel Washington is rumored to be auditioning for the role of Lex Luthor, and the main villain is going to be Metallo.

Heaven Sent Blossom

I do think she's totally wrong for the role, but that's because I already had Gina Carano cast as Wonder Woman in my head and can't look past that. Ultimately though none of it matters, judging by Man of Steel the movie will be poor enough that nobody will be able to save it.
Goyer and Snyder have proven they basically have no idea what they're doing, can't see that changing any time soon.

Inkidu

Quote from: Heaven Sent Blossom on December 08, 2013, 04:07:40 PM
I do think she's totally wrong for the role, but that's because I already had Gina Carano cast as Wonder Woman in my head and can't look past that. Ultimately though none of it matters, judging by Man of Steel the movie will be poor enough that nobody will be able to save it.
Goyer and Snyder have proven they basically have no idea what they're doing, can't see that changing any time soon.
I thought Man of Steel did really well. :P I haven't seen it though.

If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Heaven Sent Blossom

It did fine, but it didn't make anywhere near Avengers or Dark Knight money, which is what WB wanted from it.
Of course it made enough that they'll go back to that well until they get a Superman Returns level calamity because profit is profit, but they were looking for a flagship to rival what Marvel have built and it certainly fell short of that mark.
It also suffered some big second week drop offs if I recall correctly, which speaks of the kind of word of mouth the quality of the film was receiving from those who did flock to see it opening week.

Personally I think the tone was awful and showed at best a lack of understanding for the core concepts of Superman, at worst it hints towards a complete contempt for the character and everything that has gone into making him.
It still wasn't worse than 95% of Nu52 DC books though, so it has that going for it.

BraveEarth

So this doesn't feel planned at all, and I hate to ask but, what are they going to make her do in the movie "Batman vs Superman" unless they are going to change that title it feels like the character is either going to get the shaft or worse, be the Love Triangle Object.

FootBoy22

I think she'll do great, I loved Man of Steel and so I trust Snyder.

Mathim

Quote from: Chris Brady on December 06, 2013, 08:10:33 PM
Mathim, it's Warner Brothers, unlike the Animated division, they stick their hands directly into the live action movies, and like I said, they have no idea what a Superhero film is about.

And I'm just saying the answer is right in front of them and they're ignoring it. And what could have been good superhero movies have suffered enormously because of it. So I'll take my business to Marvel where it is much more deserving of my movie bucks. They really ought to have started years ago and made Superman Returns a reboot instead, then they'd have had a jump on the Marvel Cinematic Universe since Iron Man didn't come out til a few years after. They'd have had more time to correct mistakes if they cared to, even if in the long run they continued to make disappointing features and returns.

Wonder Woman really merits a stand-alone film, though. That whole Greek Mythology origin would be awesome and unique, what a wasted opportunity.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

consortium11

Quote from: Mathim on December 18, 2013, 04:21:49 PMWonder Woman really merits a stand-alone film, though. That whole Greek Mythology origin would be awesome and unique, what a wasted opportunity.

Her original clay origin perhaps but not the new one (and I assume DC would want the new one in to give people going from the film to the comics a starting point... although it rarely works that way in pratice).

Being a demi/half-god in general and even "Zeus had sex with my Mum" is a pretty common origin right now... off the top of my head Clash of the Titans used Zeus directly (while Immortals hinted at it) and Percy Jackson is a demi-god via Poseidon.

Mathim

Quote from: consortium11 on December 18, 2013, 05:01:20 PM
Her original clay origin perhaps but not the new one (and I assume DC would want the new one in to give people going from the film to the comics a starting point... although it rarely works that way in pratice).

Being a demi/half-god in general and even "Zeus had sex with my Mum" is a pretty common origin right now... off the top of my head Clash of the Titans used Zeus directly (while Immortals hinted at it) and Percy Jackson is a demi-god via Poseidon.

I had been referring to the 'cast from clay' origin, yes, but I meant as far as superhero films delving into the realm of crazy Greek mythology and stuff, that hasn't been something we've really seen as of yet which gives it lots of potential. I know other films try to capitalize on that but the characters aren't as well-known or beloved usually, so having a household name like Wonder Woman in place of Percy or Avatar guy would probably fare better.

FootBoy22

Chris Brady

Thor does well because since day one, Marvel have used their version of the mythology in their comics.  Wonder Woman has rarely used her own, focusing entirely 'Stranger in a Strange Land' vibe (after the early bondage tales subsided.)

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

FootBoy22

The Comics have plenty of stuff expanding on the mythology though.  I'd keep it simple for the first film, then use Ares for the second and the Titans of Myth for the 3rd.

Inkidu

Quote from: Chris Brady on December 19, 2013, 06:37:36 PM
Thor does well because since day one, Marvel have used their version of the mythology in their comics.  Wonder Woman has rarely used her own, focusing entirely 'Stranger in a Strange Land' vibe (after the early bondage tales subsided.)
That's one of the most notable things about the Wonder Woman comics. They got more normal as time went on. :)

Chris Brady

Quote from: Inkidu on December 20, 2013, 10:10:46 PM
That's one of the most notable things about the Wonder Woman comics. They got more normal as time went on. :)
That's what the fans wanted.  So they got it.  Same thing with Thor.