House of Butteflies (L5R System game)

Started by godfang, May 07, 2014, 06:38:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

godfang

The Opium War of the 12th century has left the land in shortage of the powerful medicine. With the fighting that engulfed the city of lies, most Opium warehouse in the city was burned to the ground and now a new source of Opium is needed to treat wounds and, though no one would admit it, to be used as a recreational drug.  During this period, a family rose to prominence. They are the Iroha family, a group of merchants and bussiness owner who owns a large opium plantation outside of the city, and so was spared the devastation. The Iroha are well known for their many entertainment establishments, starting from theatres, tea houses and the house of pleasures.   Led by Iroha Yuji and his wife, Iroha Akagi, the house is gaining much popularity for helping the empire recover from the Opium shortage. So much, in fact, that they are being considered to be raised in status as a minor clan. The butterfly clan. Some of the other clans see this as a threat, an insult even, that a family with no military service to speak of would be considered for ascension, yet some clans see house Iroha as a potential ally and would like to work with them or even absorb them into their clan. And so the game begins

Iroha Yuji
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Iroha Akagi
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

-Rules-
-Any of the Major clans are allowed
-Each character will be given a secret mission depending on their house
-40 Starting Experience
-I will make the rolls, the players only need to tell me their modifiers
-Expect lots of scandalous sexy smut
-The Happily Betrothed Advantage can be bought for free (Adultery is one of my kinks, sue me)
-I expect 3 players, 4 maximum

Please post your background story here

CarnivalOfTheGoat

My word! Tasty!

I probably will not be able to put in the time for character generation until this weekend, just saying.

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:
Savage Worlds of My Little Pony <- Just what it says. Free supplement for SW. (Or any other MLP RP!!! :D)
Eclipse Phase <- Posthuman grit SF, open source, downloadable from their web site. VERY deep worldbuilding.
Cold City <- Espionage meets the Lovecraftian supernatural. Allies in post-war Berlin chasing down the results of secret Nazi experiments
a|state <- Post-apocalyptic sort-of-steampunk, sort-of-high tech roleplay in a massive, decaying, broken-down city-state.

Pumpkin Seeds

I'll work on a character this weekend.

godfang

Yeah,i'll allow a week or so for applications to come in. Hopefully we can get a nice mix of male and female characters.

Anyone have any rough ideas what they want to play as?

Empyrean

I've got an idea for a Kitsune Shugenja/artist. I'll have to look at the advantages again, but I was thinking he might have a Spider woman who loves him, and whom he has no idea about. Or I can make them happily betrothed, whichever suits the game better. :)

Pumpkin Seeds

Thinking a crane duelist at this point.

Muse

*waves* 

Well, i'd love to play, but if it looks like I'll end up competing with 12 people for 3-4 slots, I'll probably bow out. That get's really depressing.

Hm... 

No minor clans, correct? 

(I have a fondness for the Sparrow.) 

Oh, and Empyrean is also expressing interestin a minor clan, so now I'm probably being anoying, sorry. 

I'll chime ni again when i get an idea. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

godfang

@Empyrean: I keep thinking of the superhero spider woman (Jessice Drew) until i realize you meant a woman of the spider clan. Whichever one you want is fine. Making her a secret love might be interesting as i'll have an antagonist to play.

I'm willing to allow a Minor Clan if people are interested, but i'll play them off as being less influential than the Major ones (if you're fine with that, then i'll work an angle into the story)

Muse

:)  Okay, I'll dig up my Sparrow and see if you like him.  :)
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Muse

Name:      Suzume Kyou
Clan:      Sparrow
School:   Suzume Bushi School
Height:   5’10”
Weight:   180
Build:      Medium, with good tone. 

Description:   The lithe beauty of a young man of the Crane clan hides very nearly the full strength of the Crab’s young warriors.  Kyou is both of these things, yet neither.  Though he maintains manly stoicism, his eyes offer warm camaraderie and compassion.  He does not anger at petty things, but can be provoked to violence for the suffering of common folk that many would overlook.  Some might think his poverty marks him as a child of heaven wallowing in the mud with peasants.  Kyou smiles in quite pity.  He knows his place in the celestial order better than such fools.  He stands above those he rules, yes, for he is their protector.  They stand beneath him to lift him on their shoulders. 
   Kyou does not voice such radical ideas.  He fights for his country, hoping for a chance to stand against the taint.  At court he brushes clean his hakima and tells stories, offering charming smiles to the girls while his eyes promise that there are secrets in his tales he has yet to reveal. 
   There are always more stories to tell. 

Merits: 
(4)   Benten’s Blessing
(7)   Paragon of Compassion
(3)   Voice

Flaws (Max 10)
(4)   Cursed by the Realm: Sakkaku
(2)   Idealistic
(2)   Lechery
(3*)   Overconfident

Technique: 
1:   All Things In Time: 
--The Suzume watches the flow of combat to discover the perfect time for his assault.  At the beginning of each Combat Round, before the first character has taken his Turn, you may reduce your initiative score by 5 to add 1k0 to all your attack and damage rolls for the Round. 

20 Questions: 
--1.  My name is Suzume Kyou.  I am a warrior of the sparrow clan.  Do you know what that means?  Let me tell you a story...
--2-3.  Once upon a time there was a man named Suzume Akira.  He worked hard for many years ruling his land, defending his people, and serving his Daimyo.  He had a wife named Moemi, three daughters--mighty Sayuri, beautiful Azuza, and wise Kurumi.  He also had a son, Kyou, which means Apricot.  After many years, Akira was rewarded for his service with permission to retire to a monastery and live out the rest of his life in peace and comfort.  Before he left, Akira told young Apricot the story of a child with mythical powers born from a giant peach, who slew many ogres through strength and wisdom.  Then he left his sword to his son--who was soon to begin his schooling in the arts of the Suzume Bushi--and left his children in their mother's care. 
4.  See above.  Kyou wears a straw hat and cloak over his somewhat mended indigo hakima and kimono.
5.  Trained in swordsmanship and storytelling by his mother's father, Kyou grew up surrounded by myths and legends.  What he longs for most is to live such a mythic life himself. 
6.  Kyou's living hero and most trusted confidant is his older sister--   --the eldest of the Akira's children.  He admires both her honor and her strength. 
7.  Kyou is a dreamer--it is his greatest strength and greatest weakness.  Legends of heroism give him strength while distorting his judgment. 

Pumpkin Seeds

Thinking I might make the Crane duelist have been a hostage to the Scorpion Clan during her youth.  Perhaps she picked up some of their political tactics and maybe people in her own clan even question her loyalties since her return to her family.

godfang

sure, but you need to tell me (not in front of other players) though, if she's actually loyal or not XD

Empyrean

Godfang: As I understand it, the Kitsune are now part of the Mantis who are a Great Clan. But if a Kitsune is a problem, would you allow a character from one of the Imperial Families? I'd still be going with the approach of a young man just past Gempukku, just with a different family and possibly a different career path instead of a Shujenga.

godfang

@Empyrean: I have no problem with the Kitsune family because the mantis absorbtion was done in 1169, while the Opium war was 1122, so they would still be on their own. 

..I assume you're talking about the Kitsune family not an actual Kitsune spirit, right?

Empyrean

Yep. The Kitsune family, not a spirit. :)

godfang

2-3 more days before i pick the party and start the game

Muse

have i given you a big enough application?  Or did you want more information? 

godfang

@Muse: Nope, that's good enough. I'm waiting to see the other characters first before determining your 'secret objective'.

godfang

@Pumpkin Seeds: I actually need your background story more than your stats

Pumpkin Seeds

Already working on it.  The stats just give me a framework oddly enough.  Sometimes I need the history first, sometimes the character sheet.  My muse never makes sense.

Empyrean

After thinking about it, I decided to go with an Isawa instead. I have his history done for review and can work on stats.

Name: Isawa Takahiro
Clan: Phoenix
Height: 5'6"
Weight: 175 lbs
Build: Slender

Description: Takahiro is a young man of medium height and a slender build. His eyes are a dark brown and his hair a lustrous black, kept in a traditional topknot.

History: Isawa Takahiro was born in Kyuden Isawa eighteen years ago and like any child of the Phoenix Clan, he was tested for an affinity with the kami. In his case, his affinity showed itself within hours of his birth. In his case, that affinity manifested in the rare and mysterious gift of the Ishiken-do, which was both a great honor and a great joy to his birth parents, Akihiko and Midori. Great things were expected from a young age and he knew this, but he tried not to let it get in the way of enjoying life about him. There was much of beauty to see in the world, and being young and imaginative, he took to expressing his interest in the world through the arts. He varied widely in his interests before settling on painting. The expression of the lines let him express his feelings he found. It was also a great stress relief when the pressures of training got to him. As the years passed and he grew towards his gempukku, he became more introverted, more focused on his studies. His master was not an easy man to impress, and his gempukku was the hardest trial he'd ever faced. But when it was done, when his stern master had proclaimed him an Ishiken, it was the proudest day of his life. It was also the day he learned that he had been betrothed, and to whom. He was...less enthusaistic about that at first. He understood it was his duty and he would not complain, but he feared being trapped with a woman whom he could not like, much less love. How glad he was to learn he was wrong! Miya Suzukihime was charming, warm, intelligent, and beautiful as well. He met her through a long series of correspondences, exchanging letters for nearly a year before finally traveling (in the company of his parents, yojimbo, and nakado) to the capital to meet with her. It was his first time outside Phoenix lands, and he was eager to see more of the world. While en route to the capital, they stayed the night at a small town. Takahiro went for the first time to a teahouse by himself, and while he was there a commotion broke out. A young maiden came into the house, chased by three men in dark clothing. The men were locals, who claimed that the girl was a witch. A maho-tsukai. They claimed that they had escaped from a ritual her cell had been performing and now they would kill the Bloodspeaker. Takahiro interceded, finding no trace of maho on the girl, he demanded the men back down and when they wouldn't, his yojimbo drew steel. The men, heimin all, remembered the Celestial Order and withdrew. Takahiro comforted the girl, named Hitomi, got her some tea, and made sure that she made it safely home. He considered the matter resolved. He had no idea that Hitomi, who actually *was* a murderous maho-tsukai, had conceived a dangerous affection for her rescuer. When his party left the next day, Hitomi resolved to make it her business to have this kind young shugenja for herself, and to teach him to appreciate the beauties of maho and the power it could offer them both. Takahiro, cheerfully obvious, went to his meeting with Suzukihime, they both knew it was both love and duty that demanded they wed, and he went home, none the wiser.

Flying Tengu

Whoops!  This is why you should always keep others appraised of what you're doing.  I've been working on an Isawa, too.

Luckily, I have a backup plan.  I think...

EDIT:  Sorry, just to be clear, I meant that *I* should have kept others appraised.  Poor wording on my part; I apologize.

Latooni Subota

Wow, I totally didn't notice this! I'm pretty rusty when it comes to L5R, but hopefully I can still get things going. No idea what I'm making, but as soon as I re-learn the rules I'm sure I'll make . . something! Yeah.

Edit: This IS fourth edition, right? >.>
ONs and OFFs be here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=64984.0

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

Flying Tengu

I had concepts for both male and female characters.  I asked Muse, and he voted for the female character.  So, here goes:

Name: Asahina Reiko
Clan: Crane
Height: 5'3"
Weight: 106 lbs
Build: Slender but feminine

Throughout her youth, Asahina Reiko has had two companions: books and the kami.  She finds them easier to understand than she generally does people.

Reiko comes from a fairly prominent family within the Asahina. Both her mother and her father hold positions of importance.  Her gift was discovered at a young age, and, thanks to the wealth and connections of her parents, she began her education very early, with tutors.  The benefit to her education came with an equal cost to her socialization, as she did not spend much time with other children.

In her classes, Reiko has always excelled.  She enjoys taking in knowledge, and does so quickly.  Where she sometimes has a tendency to do poorly is for those aspects of a shugenja's duties that involve interpersonal communication, rather than scholarship, or communion with the kami.  And these duties were not uncommon, especially for a Crane shugenja, who were expected to, if not match their Doji cousins, at least avoid shaming them.

Reiko's gempukku came late, partially due to her lessons in the aforementioned interpersonal duties coming slowly, but more due to interference from her overprotective parents.  While she has, with great effort, managed to polish her rough edges, and overcome her social anxiety, she still has a tendency towards shyness.  An assigment is sought for her, one that will not only utilize her strengths, but also force her to test her weaknesses.

Having finally gotten over her shyness, more or less, Reiko can at least play the part of a demure Crane maiden.  She still has a bit of difficulty dealing with others, especially as far as discerning their intentions or motives.  She has a great deal of curiosity, which has driven her in her studies, but which will also drive her to investigate mysteries.  Even if some of those mysteries are people, as they so often are.

mechanics

Asahina Reiko
School/Rank: Asahina Shugenja 1
Insight: 124

Honor: 6.5
Glory: 1.0

Rings
Earth 2
-Stamina 2
-Willpower 2

Water 2
-Strength 2
-Perception 3 (12)

Fire 2
-Agility 2
-Intelligence 3

Air 3
- Reflexes 3 (12)
- Awareness 3

Void 2

Skills (* are school skills/emphasis)
*Calligraphy (cipher) - 1
*Etiquette - 1
*Lore: Theology - 3 (5)
*Meditation - 1
*Spellcraft - 3 (2)
*Artisan: Poetry - 1
*Investigation - 3 (5)
Courtier - 1 (1)

Advantages:
Sage (3)
Dangerous Beauty (3)
Benten's Blessing (3)

Disadvantages:
Antisocial (-2)
Idealistic (-2)
Soft-Hearted (-2)

Scrolls:
Air:
Whispering Wind
Benten's Touch
Tempest of Air

Earth:
Armor of Earth

Fire:

Water:
Path to Inner Peace
Reversal of Fortunes

godfang

Looks good Tengu, a word of warning though. A naive and socially awkward person may have difficulties in this story, since it involves things such as opium trade and sex, if you're fine with that, then there's no problem