Kushiel

Started by HairyHeretic, March 14, 2007, 05:18:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MagicalPen

Aww shucks! Thats what i was just thinking! Especially after just watching 300! SPARTANS!  Yeah...i love the movie. Hmph.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

NightBird

Quote from: Seereous on March 17, 2007, 10:32:22 AM
Great series.  I've read every book in the original trilogy twice and Kushiel's Scion once.  Great series.  Oooops...said that already.  I'm actually surprised that this game hasn't found it's way here before now. *shrugs* Oh well.

Given how some like to be tied up, etc, etc....my one piece of advice would be don't go overboard with the number of anguisettes.  *shrugs*  Then again I'm not the one running the game. *smiles* Just a humble suggestion.

While I thoroughly enjoyed reading these books, I'm afraid that I'm a bit too vanilla for such a world.  I know that the book had people of every orientation and taste, and I would love to play in the setting, but I don't think that I would do it justice.  Never know, I may try and give it a shot anyway.

There's definitely room for someone less extreme! What about a young Tiberian noble sent to make an alliance with a noble house of Terre d'Ange? Remember how there was both fascination and discomfort for Lucius with the d'Angellines?  *smiles*

And I agree that anguisettes shouldn't overwhelm the game. They were rare. That's why I opted not to play one.  ;)

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Silvestine on March 17, 2007, 12:59:58 PM
Aww shucks! Thats what i was just thinking! Especially after just watching 300! SPARTANS!  Yeah...i love the movie. Hmph.

Whats your concept? If its different enough from mine, no reason we both can't do what we want.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Seereous

Quote from: NightBird on March 17, 2007, 01:49:10 PM
There's definitely room for someone less extreme! What about a young Tiberian noble sent to make an alliance with a noble house of Terre d'Ange? Remember how there was both fascination and discomfort for Lucius with the d'Angellines?  *smiles*

And I agree that anguisettes shouldn't overwhelm the game. They were rare. That's why I opted not to play one.  ;)

Alliances within noble houses were usually made through marriages.  Something that was seen through the books, and is something that was realistic and I applaud.  That however would require a counterpart to play against. 

My main worry is that I would be bore.  I think that everyone should be able to enjoy the games they are in.  I couldn't be responsible for someone not enjoying themselves.  That would make me feel bad.

MagicalPen

I think we definately need to work out the kinks.

My concept was that he had been assigned to protect and had failed to do so. His charge was killed despite the fact that he killed all their assailants. He dispatched the last one before realizing his charge was dead. He finds shame in that fact and that he wasn't killed himself.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

HairyHeretic

Slightly different to mine.

The standard background .. middle son from a noble family, given over to the brotherhood at 10 or so, rigorous training, and a fairly decent end result. One of his early charges (say within a couple of years of becoming a full brother) is an arrogant, obnoxious prick of a noble brat. The kind that can make enemies simply by sitting quietly in the next room 

Eventually he pisses off the wrong person badly enough that a contract is put out on him. My Casseiline stops one or two 'accidental' encounters, so the gloves come off with a full scale assault. He fights, kills a bunch, but eventually falls, and the noble brat is killed, probably in a pretty bad way. When the resulting carnage is found, my character is still somehow clinging to life. He should by all rights be dead, and its months before he can even rise from a sick bed.

The brats father wants his head, wants someone blamed for his sons death, and even though my character did his best, political pressure sees him cast out of the order in disgrace. Continued pressure from the noble means that he can't find any other jobs, and drifting downwards through society, he ends up in the Night Court.

He's torn at this point. Part of him wants to hold to his oaths. Though released from his vows when cast out of the order, they're all he has known for his formative years, and they mean something to him still. Another part of him wants to throw it all away. If this is his reward for faith and honour, why bother?

Thats kinda what I have in mind.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Goblinmoon

The Night Court alone has huge variations in them, much of the sex is very vanilla...  If you get a chance look up the houses... I'll see if I can find a list that I have somewhere.  There's only two houses where D/s and s/m are really a part of things.  hell one house even has special skill money wise, and then there's the artisans, the healers etc.  Its a shadow world for a reason.

I'm perfectly happy to not play an anguisette. I could play someone from one of the other houses, or a noblewoman easy enough.  There's the rest of the world too.

NightBird

Here's a helpful list:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Court_of_Night-Blooming_Flowers

And here's info on the places in the series:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Places_in_Kushiel%27s_Legacy

An overview of the series is here including links to info on the major characters:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kushiel%27s_Legacy

Here is the 'pantheon' of Terre d'Ange:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elua_and_His_Companions

And this listing of minor characters might offer character concept ideas:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minor_Characters_in_Kushiel%27s_Legacy

I hope that helps!  :D

Cherri Tart

Actually, i'm seriously considering playing a member of Eglantine - poets, bards, actors... i think that might be fun... after all, i already play plenty of anguesette type characters in other settings on the board.  Or, she doesn't even have to be a member of a house... is everyone planning on playing house members?  just a wondering minstral with too much curiousity then is good for her...
you were never able to keep me breathing as the water rises up again

O/O, Cherri Flavored

NightBird

I'd imagine that a young noblewoman might take lessons in dance or music or poetry from an Adept of Eglantine House, which might lead to an interesting sort of rebellion. Am I remembering correctly that the nobility used to become Servants of Naamah centuries before the books? That could be intriguing, too, though I'm sitll leaning to a youngish Valerian House Adept.

Cherri Tart

That would make sense - as in the 1800's when young ladies were expected to know how to dance and play piano - and i'm sure that one would hear all sorts of things hanging out with musicians and such.

O/O, Cherri Flavored

Goblinmoon

Yep perfectly reasonable to take lessons from the adepts!  Or be one! either way.  Yep NB you're right, the implication that a noble shouldn't give up their rightful place to become a Servant of Naamah.  Since at that point everything you take with you becomes property of the house until your marque is paid off.

It has the feeling of noble women joining convents.  Their property became the church's.

I'm currently leaning toward a noble woman myself, but not sure entirely.  Sigh I don't need another game... I still owe a character to someone.  I just love this world...

Thanks for the links NB, I knew I had those somewhere.

Seereous

Sure...this would be the one game where my usually good ability of making characters and whatnot totally fail me.  :'(

Cherri Tart

Need some inspriation?  i'm not very inspired tonight either... tommorrows another day, tho :)

O/O, Cherri Flavored

Seereous

I'm not even sure that I'm going to play yet.  I would like to, but I'm not sure if I can pull it off.

HairyHeretic

What do you feel is holding you back?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

bloodrose

I'm interested, but haven't read the books.  I've managed to get hold of the ebooks, (dart, chosen, avatar, and scion) so i'm rapidly trying to catch up on the reading!  From what I've read in this thread I'd be very interested in playing, although I might need some help until i've got up to speed with the setting.

Seereous, you mentioned an alliance through marriage?  Perhaps we could work something out together?
bloodrose's Ons and Offs

Seereous

Quote from: hairyheretic on March 18, 2007, 06:52:20 AM
What do you feel is holding you back?

I'm not much into intrigue and all that.  Shadows within shadows just isn't my game.  I'm kinda like the nobles from Camlach, I'm have a tendency to think with my sword.  Hmmm....maybe that can work its way into the reason of a political alliance.  Interesting.

Quote from: whiterose on March 18, 2007, 07:43:20 AM
I'm interested, but haven't read the books.  I've managed to get hold of the ebooks, (dart, chosen, avatar, and scion) so i'm rapidly trying to catch up on the reading!  From what I've read in this thread I'd be very interested in playing, although I might need some help until i've got up to speed with the setting.

Seereous, you mentioned an alliance through marriage?  Perhaps we could work something out together?

Sure, sweetie.  PM me and we can work something out I'm sure. :)

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Seereous on March 18, 2007, 09:36:19 AM
I'm not much into intrigue and all that.  Shadows within shadows just isn't my game.  I'm kinda like the nobles from Camlach, I'm have a tendency to think with my sword.  Hmmm....maybe that can work its way into the reason of a political alliance.  Interesting.

No reason you can't do that in the game. I doubt my character will be much of a politcal animal either.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Seereous

i'm guessing that there is still interest in this?

HairyHeretic

Yup. As I said though, it will be a while yet before we're ready to kick things off. This was to get an idea of interest, what people wanted from the game etc.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Cherri Tart

ok, i really want to be involved in this... thing is, i think i'm way to involved in too many games already - had a panic attack at opening my new replies to threads today, so i think, ultimatly, it would be wise if i bowed out - sorry, but it's getting to be a little too much to keep up with at times :/

O/O, Cherri Flavored

HairyHeretic

No worries. As I said already, its going to be a little while before we kick this off, so maybe by that time you're list will have lightened somewhat.

Besides, thats the price you pay for being popular ;)

Cattle die, kinsmen die