Interest Check - Big Book of Madness Inspired Group Game?

Started by Ryven, September 22, 2016, 08:20:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryven

Hello!  This idea was discussed in passing with a few regulars from the Elliquiy Game Night.  If you don't know what that is, it is a group of us on E who routinely get on Mumble (the voice chat application w/ our own server) and play virtual board/card games with each other.  One particular game seemed to strike a creative spark between us, and I think everyone at the time of playing seemed to be interested in the idea of turning the game concept into an RP.

For those who haven't played the game, I'll lay out the basic idea of what the RP theme would be about.  To put it simply, it's 1 part Harry Potter and 1 part Avatar (TLAB or Korra).

The theme of the game involves a group of frustrated students who become fed up with their boring theoretic learning of elemental magic (Earth, Air, Fire, Water), so they sneak down into a forbidden part of the library and open the Big Book of Madness to learn the forbidden knowledge within.  However, in doing so, they release a whole horde of eldritch monsters that they must use their powers to defeat.

In framing an RP with this theme, the concept is left very open because there aren't really any other descriptions of what else could be in the world because its more about the game than the theme behind it.  But I'm thinking that we'd have instructors in the elemental arts, student characters, and anything else that you could think of that would be in a world where elemental magic was a pertinent aspect.

I may or may not be willing to play a GM, but I would not be the only one if there was enough interest.  I don't have enough experience running group games to do it on my own, so I would be willing to try co-GMing something like this.  My goal with this is to gauge interest first and work out perhaps a starting point second if there is enough interest.

Some game art for added flavor:

Aiden

Ryven

Rel Mayer

As long as it doesn't turn out to be the big book of saddness!

Just kidding. I'm totally in! I want to be the blue lady who's probably been smokin' too much seaweed.

JUST KIDDING!

Ryven

Quote from: Rel Mayer on September 22, 2016, 09:54:29 PM
As long as it doesn't turn out to be the big book of saddness!

Just kidding. I'm totally in! I want to be the blue lady who's probably been smokin' too much seaweed.

JUST KIDDING!

Characters will be original, so you could probably make your own water wielding mage.

Madame Professor

The Professor's Research Notes (O/O)  Locked away in the Laboratory (A/A) 
Not currently available for new roleplays
Procaffeinating: (verb) The tendency to not start anything until you've had a cup of coffee.
Perkatory: (noun) The anguished, prolonged period spent waiting for a fresh pot of coffee to be ready.

Galactic Druid

Definately interested, I'll be able to post and commit more in a few days, I'm mid move right now.
A/As last updated 11/27 - Halfway past busy season!

Galactic Druid

Also, I'm so glad you liked BBoM so much. I introduced you, didn't I?

Angie

I am tentatively interested, mostly because, well, I don't quite know what's happening, but I'm interested anyway!
Avatar is by Lemonfont. Will remove it if he asks me to.

Come check the Cyberpunk Images Thread!

AndyZ

It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Ryven

Quote from: ThatRPGuy on September 22, 2016, 11:46:08 PM
Also, I'm so glad you liked BBoM so much. I introduced you, didn't I?

I think it was you, yes. :)

Galactic Druid

<3

Trying to decide on a male or female character for something like this...

This game, along with Tokaido and a handful of others, was illustrated by my favorite gaming artist. His pen name is Naide, and he's amazing. I'll see if I can find something of his for this game.

Ryven

I'm trying to decide between water and earth, but I just don't know.

AndyZ

Most likely I'll go Air.

Do we want to try to have one male and one female per element?
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Rel Mayer

Quote from: AndyZ on September 23, 2016, 10:03:59 AM
Most likely I'll go Air.

Do we want to try to have one male and one female per element?

That would be pretty cool. Or at least two per element.

Ryven

Would we want to structure it like the game or as a free form creation of our own with college grounds, non-student characters, and other things of that nature?

Aiden

That sounds good to me, let us go off and fight monsters (to a certain extent) on our own. Without it turning into the book of loss and sadness. >.>

Rel Mayer

Quote from: Aiden on September 23, 2016, 11:14:16 AM
That sounds good to me, let us go off and fight monsters (to a certain extent) on our own. Without it turning into the book of loss and sadness. >.>

Many losses, many sads.

Ryven

Quote from: Aiden on September 23, 2016, 11:14:16 AM

So loss.  Much sad.

Angie

So many possibilities...would Water allow ice, by chance?

Galactic Druid

It's canon in the game, more icy spells than wet ones really.

Debating between water and earth myself, as well as the gender of my PC...

Amelita

RP Etiquette ~ Tumblr ~ Mumbler
~ There is nothing to writing; all you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed ~
Ons & Offs ~ Post Tracker ~ Ladies in Red

Angie

Quote from: ThatRPGuy on September 23, 2016, 11:53:45 AM
It's canon in the game, more icy spells than wet ones really.

Debating between water and earth myself, as well as the gender of my PC...

Then there will be castings of Blizzard, a spell that can be very Entertaining!

Galactic Druid

I don't know how Ryven plans to run it, but in the game it's noteworthy that players are not bound to a single element. While it's not a bad idea to pick one that is a strength, players can collect elements and spells of any kind.