Sex Magick - open to all

Started by Whowhatwhere, June 25, 2014, 09:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whowhatwhere

Quote from: StormRanger779 on June 26, 2014, 04:27:14 PM
This seems interesting, one question though. With it all shunned by normal society wouldn't it be possible for a Mage Hunter to exist? For example, another mage using a different type of magick, or a normal human specifically trained to kill Mages?

I'm not sure what you mean by shunned by normal society - the general public does not know magic exists, and everyone involved (including the antagonist groups) want to keep it that way. But yes, there could be mage hunters. They could be specially employed by an antagonist group, a mercenary, or a lone wolf. I'm not going to advise against playing one, but boy, would it be a thankless position.
The O's and the A's --- AFK every weekend

StormRanger779

Well, you mentioned the Destruction of the Illuminati as well as the burnings, so I guess I assumed someone on normal society would know about it. Guess that would be an antagonist group. Plus in a real world aspect Magick is shunned as being taboo, again I'm assuming the same thing applies here. Anyway, I think playing a Mage would be better then a mage hunter though, seems more fun that way.

Whowhatwhere

Quote from: StormRanger779 on June 26, 2014, 04:51:37 PM
Well, you mentioned the Destruction of the Illuminati as well as the burnings, so I guess I assumed someone on normal society would know about it. Guess that would be an antagonist group. Plus in a real world aspect Magick is shunned as being taboo, again I'm assuming the same thing applies here. Anyway, I think playing a Mage would be better then a mage hunter though, seems more fun that way.

Ah, I see. None of this is common knowledge. I'll have to clarify that in the opening blurb. Thanks for your input.

StormRanger779

Not a problem, Magick and supernatural powers have always been an interest of mine, so I'll draft of a character and send it to you. May end up making two, haven't decided yet.

StormRanger779

Name and Type: Allister McCallin The Illusionist

Sex & Orientation: Male, bisexual, but prefers women.

General Description: He is almost always seen in a black suit and tie with a black fedora. He is polite, well behaved, and almost never straight
forward about what he wants or intends to do. He is also weary of other mages and doesn't trust easily, due to the fact he was literally stabbed in the back by a follow mage in short he has a scar on his left shoulder blade.

Character Model:
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Items normally carried on you: Cell phone, pack of cigarettes, and a lighter.

Notable Items you can run home to get:

Career/Finances: Stage magician, medium income, does own an apartment in a run down part of the city.

Motivations: To survive and keep hidden from just about everyone.

Relations:None, he tends to hide from other mages.

Group Affiliations: None at the moment

Power Level: 3.7

Spells Known: Protective Physical Shield, Anti-magick, Paralyze.

This is just a draft though I'd post it here and see what you thought.

Lockepick

@GM: You say that a mage heals as much Energy Levels as the Power Level of the Mage he's screwing around with. How much do they heal from a Malach? To full? Is that how much a blessing refills as well?
Like what you see? I am currently looking for new plots!

Detailed List of O/Os and Plot Seeds

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

Foxfyr

Quote from: Whowhatwhere on June 26, 2014, 09:23:59 AM
Okay, let's tackle this wereform spell. WARNING! MATH AND BRAINSTORMING AHEAD!

First part: I would say that the spell allows you to change into any animal that a) you have familiarity with, or b) within line of sight. Dog? No problem. Kinkajou? Only if you're at the kinkajou cage at the zoo, or are an ornithologist who has studied kinkajous in the wild. This mirrors the rule I want to set up for many of these spells - line-of-sight-or-familiarity. This means that the more your character is familiar with animals, the better the spell will be. Tracking a person with a tracking spell would work the same way, if ever someone takes that spell - you could track a co-worker from anywhere, or a stranger within line of sight.

That sounds fair.  As far as refining the definition of familiarity outside of somebody academically studying the animal(s), are we talking only the more common house pets (dog, snake, cat, etc) or will they also include some of the more common wild ones like wolves and deer?  When we refer to familiarity, is it something that could be researched independently with several visits to the zoo or are we talking formal education with a masters in a particular animal/species?  I certainly don't see him being able to be familiar with every animal, but I imagine once Vincent discovered his ability he would have tried to familiarize himself with a handful of the staple animals.

QuoteSecond part: Any change in size or strength is relative to the amount of Energy spent. Remember the rule - for each additional "person", add a point to the spell. So to change into a gorilla with the strength of 3 men,  the spell would cost 3 Energy - one for the change, 2 for the additional two men's worth of strength. I'd say that a better sense of smell, or a faster running speed, would add points as well. The maximum, though, would the maximum attributes of the animal in question (so as not to duplicate a speed or strength spell by loophole). Changing size would be extra points too. Size of a cat, 1 extra point. Size of an ant, 2 extra points. Size of a horse, 1 extra point, etc.

Third Part - the part about small but ever increasing changes (I'm guessing you want to emulate the five forms of the werewolf in White Wolf?) ...depending on what you gain, that can be fine. The system shouldn't be any more or less fair than a spell that changes the form of a magician to an animal outright. This other spell can be called "Animal Change" and have the same effect, except the caster turned into the animal right away. I'm trying to think whether these spells are balanced with each other or not. Any thoughts?

To a degree with the forms, though for the were-form ability I was only looking at the human, near human, and hybrid forms without the ability to turn into a true animal (which I agree could be a separate spell in of itself).  Would it be the same for were-form and strength as it would be for a full gorilla change or would it be halves (like 1/2 bestial form and 1.5x strength of a human)?  Or would the were-form be a by-product of the ability increase since I view it as being mainly aesthetic or perhaps needing to spend energy to suppress the transformation (since I imagine it is a negative thing as far as keeping the power secret)?  Perhaps utilizing both; for example Vincent could have 1.5x human strength and spend the other 1/2 to counteract the transformation aspect.  Alternatively, he could have 2x human strength but assume his were-form unless he were to spend an extra point to counteract the 1 point ability increase.  This could also lend itself to using multiple minor aspects, like keen sight and hearing for a combined 1 point or 1.5x strength with claws.  Of course, in this case 1/2 point in the minimum increment and a full point needs to be spent even if only one minor attribute is chosen.  I don't think it would make it that much more complex, but I understand if you find it a bit much.

QuoteFourth part - Animal instinct? Maybe. I would probably want an additional point to change your mind into something more feral - that can be an option of the spell. Less susceptible to reason, more susceptible to primal fears. NOTE TO SELF: make "Train Mind" spell.

I was thinking of that more of a flavor aspect rather than an actual ability, something akin to Vincent feeling more primal while using his ability so he acts a little more primal even though the ability does not actually alter his mind.  I think we can omit this for the sake of system simplicity.

MiraMirror

If I end up joining, I'd probably play a Malach...Must think of ideas. *Nodnod*
On's and Offs -  Please read before asking for a story <3

TheMamluk

I still have not had the time to flesh out character sheets but I am going to go with brothers. One is a magic user that focus on persuasion magic similar to hypnosis and the other is a smart but touched Malac that most people think is just crazy.

Whowhatwhere

Quote from: StormRanger779 on June 26, 2014, 06:08:22 PM
Name and Type: Allister McCallin The Illusionist

Sex & Orientation: Male, bisexual, but prefers women.

General Description: He is almost always seen in a black suit and tie with a black fedora. He is polite, well behaved, and almost never straight
forward about what he wants or intends to do. He is also weary of other mages and doesn't trust easily, due to the fact he was literally stabbed in the back by a follow mage in short he has a scar on his left shoulder blade.

Character Model:
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Items normally carried on you: Cell phone, pack of cigarettes, and a lighter.

Notable Items you can run home to get:

Career/Finances: Stage magician, medium income, does own an apartment in a run down part of the city.

Motivations: To survive and keep hidden from just about everyone.

Relations:None, he tends to hide from other mages.

Group Affiliations: None at the moment

Power Level: 3.7

Spells Known: Protective Physical Shield, Anti-magick, Paralyze.

This is just a draft though I'd post it here and see what you thought.

Pretty cool. I notice many of you aren't putting anything in your relations line. Make sure to write out immediately family at least, unless every single one of you are orphans and hermits!

Whowhatwhere

Quote from: lockepick on June 26, 2014, 06:12:30 PM
@GM: You say that a mage heals as much Energy Levels as the Power Level of the Mage he's screwing around with. How much do they heal from a Malach? To full? Is that how much a blessing refills as well?

It's the max amount that the caster can hold, whether you fool around with a magician or Malach. sorry if that's not clear, I'll update the info page.

MiraMirror

Quote from: Whowhatwhere on June 26, 2014, 09:28:01 PM
Pretty cool. I notice many of you aren't putting anything in your relations line. Make sure to write out immediately family at least, unless every single one of you are orphans and hermits!
But being an orphan is coooooooooooool. ;_;

Vill

Posting to make my interest known before this game reaches it's population limit. I'm interested in possibly playing a normal person to help round out the numbers and help secure a slot in the game.

Whowhatwhere

Quote from: Loki Aesir on June 26, 2014, 07:56:45 PM
That sounds fair.  As far as refining the definition of familiarity outside of somebody academically studying the animal(s), are we talking only the more common house pets (dog, snake, cat, etc) or will they also include some of the more common wild ones like wolves and deer?  When we refer to familiarity, is it something that could be researched independently with several visits to the zoo or are we talking formal education with a masters in a particular animal/species?  I certainly don't see him being able to be familiar with every animal, but I imagine once Vincent discovered his ability he would have tried to familiarize himself with a handful of the staple animals.

To a degree with the forms, though for the were-form ability I was only looking at the human, near human, and hybrid forms without the ability to turn into a true animal (which I agree could be a separate spell in of itself).  Would it be the same for were-form and strength as it would be for a full gorilla change or would it be halves (like 1/2 bestial form and 1.5x strength of a human)?  Or would the were-form be a by-product of the ability increase since I view it as being mainly aesthetic or perhaps needing to spend energy to suppress the transformation (since I imagine it is a negative thing as far as keeping the power secret)?  Perhaps utilizing both; for example Vincent could have 1.5x human strength and spend the other 1/2 to counteract the transformation aspect.  Alternatively, he could have 2x human strength but assume his were-form unless he were to spend an extra point to counteract the 1 point ability increase.  This could also lend itself to using multiple minor aspects, like keen sight and hearing for a combined 1 point or 1.5x strength with claws.  Of course, in this case 1/2 point in the minimum increment and a full point needs to be spent even if only one minor attribute is chosen.  I don't think it would make it that much more complex, but I understand if you find it a bit much.

I was thinking of that more of a flavor aspect rather than an actual ability, something akin to Vincent feeling more primal while using his ability so he acts a little more primal even though the ability does not actually alter his mind.  I think we can omit this for the sake of system simplicity.

Familiarity comes from what you know. A sheltered suburbanite? House pets. A hunter from Rural Tennessee? House pets and game animals. What I'm saying is: make it make sense. Maybe the magician started studying animals after getting the spell. "Studying" can be done independently. You don't need a degree.

I purposefully made the math very simple for this game, so it's not like I want to calculate what 1.5x human strength is. I want to keep the point-per-person system, but I haven't really spelled out the maximum attributes for a given animal yet. I want to keep the magic system fast and loose.

I'm still questioning whether I want to divide the wereform and animal form spells. They're almost the same thing but such complete manipulation of your form is very powerful, and I'm trying to pare spells down to their elemental, 1 point components.

Whowhatwhere

Quote from: Vill on June 26, 2014, 09:36:20 PM
Posting to make my interest known before this game reaches it's population limit. I'm interested in possibly playing a normal person to help round out the numbers and help secure a slot in the game.

I currently don't plan for any population limits. You are free to play what you want! If everyone wants to be one type of character, I won't stop them. That blurb I put in the info page about playing different character types, eh, I may take that out. Just trying to please people!

Vill

Quote from: Whowhatwhere on June 26, 2014, 10:02:14 PM
I currently don't plan for any population limits. You are free to play what you want! If everyone wants to be one type of character, I won't stop them. That blurb I put in the info page about playing different character types, eh, I may take that out. Just trying to please people!

Roger that, still definitely going for a normal person. I should have the sheet up soon. I'll probably have to PM you over plot ideas and questions about his role in the game. I'm looking forward to it.

MiraMirror

Apologies if this has been asked already, but are Malachs actually aware that they're Malachs?

Top Cat

Quote from: Whowhatwhere on June 26, 2014, 03:16:09 PM
That's a good question, and a tough one to answer. You would think that luck would be one of those things that magic should cover, when it comes to what it can affect. So we'd have to bang out a way to have a luck spell work.

First, the standard duration should apply. Ten minutes max, an additional point every 10 minutes added. That's the easy part.
Second, following the "one thing" rule, I would say that one lucky thing would occur, something obvious to the caster, and then the spell would be expended. Ten minutes of nonstop lucky things might be too much. This might also set up the drawback of saying that you cast the spell for a longer duration, have the lucky thing happen, then the rest of the duration is wasted.
Third, the lucky thing should be up to the GM.
Fourth, giving someone else luck may work in this spell also, given the usual 1-point-per-person rule: add an extra Energy to the casting cost to put it on someone else. Add more points for more targets.

That sounds pretty fair to me. As always, if someone comes up with an objection or loophole, I'd be glad to hear it. I might put this up in the spell list soon, after a few feedbacks.
Sounds reasonable. I'll check back once I've got the Harem Show flying smoothly. =^_^=
O/O / Story Seeds
Current posting speed: Slow to moderate. Most threads should get a response within 24 hours, with occasional dips as RL makes demands.
If I am more than a week behind on a story post, please feel free to PM me about it.
I am present in Elliquiy's Discord channel. If you want to chat about a story idea, feel free to DM me there.

StormRanger779

Quote from: Whowhatwhere on June 26, 2014, 09:28:01 PM

Well, I could come up with parents and maybe a sibling or two.

Whowhatwhere

Quote from: ThatOneShrroth on June 26, 2014, 10:32:54 PM
Apologies if this has been asked already, but are Malachs actually aware that they're Malachs?

Good question! Not necessarily. Their Blessing can be accidental or instinctive. All they know is that magicians want and need them. Their emotions run deep, but not every emotional human is a Malach.

Whowhatwhere

I forgot to put Character History in the Character Sheet creation section. D'oh! Vill and StormRanger779, could you add that to your character sheet submissions and resend? I'm so sorry about that. Everyone else, you might want to check the info page. I've updated the copyable code.

Elzith

Quote from: Whowhatwhere on June 26, 2014, 04:24:56 PM

- I will clarify replenishment rules in the Info thread. Sexual relations with a magician or a Malach fills your Energy up. Malachs can bestow this fulfillment with a true, positive-emotion outpouring as well - love, respect, joy, pride. Like it states, this "blessing" does not have to be sexual, but it is an outward display of emotion.

Just an idea, but perhaps have negative emotions also have some form of effect? Perhaps work in small doses, but anything much taints/twists the magic a little. (I have not fleshed it out at all, seeing as I'm not sure if you're wanting ideas or not..plus sleepy ;) )

Vill

Quote from: Whowhatwhere on June 27, 2014, 09:04:27 AM
I forgot to put Character History in the Character Sheet creation section. D'oh! Vill and StormRanger779, could you add that to your character sheet submissions and resend? I'm so sorry about that. Everyone else, you might want to check the info page. I've updated the copyable code.

Resend or edit? Your call, captain.

Whowhatwhere

Quote from: Elzith on June 27, 2014, 11:22:30 AM
Just an idea, but perhaps have negative emotions also have some form of effect? Perhaps work in small doses, but anything much taints/twists the magic a little. (I have not fleshed it out at all, seeing as I'm not sure if you're wanting ideas or not..plus sleepy ;) )

I'm not sure I'd allow that, for purely game enjoyment reasons. Sure, it makes sense to have some sort of anti-Malach, a demon for every angel. However, seeing as how sexual Energy is hard won, and spells will probably fly fast and furious around here, Energy will come at a premium. Having those who would steal or corrupt Energy (or having spells that do such a thing) would make the magic part of the game even harder to play. I might could see a very expensive spell in the future (target loses one point for every point you spend), but I can't see there being too much more than this.

Also, Malachs are not meant to be conscious magic-using beings on par with magicians. Magicians are the apex, for the most part.

On the other hand, there is a luck spell on the books now, and the opposite ("Bad Luck"?) could be taken. The bad luck, cast on a person, could twist their spell, but it could also do mundane things. That's about as close as I could get to it.

Whowhatwhere