Do you ever get sick of the toxic stuff on forums?

Started by Ironwolf85, January 26, 2014, 11:05:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neysha

Quote from: ValthazarElite on February 01, 2014, 04:30:30 PM
Someone should just turn this into the official Superbowl thread to turn a depressing thread positive.

No if you do that, then the discussion will immediately derail into some toxic discussion about concussions.
My Request Thread
Ons & Offs/Role-Plays Current and Past
FemDex: Index of Fictional Women
F-List Profiles: Constance Carrington, Damashi, SCP6969
Prepare For The Next Eight Years
Find me on Discord at: mnblend6567
Credit for Avatar goes to "LoveandSqualor" on Deviant Art. (and Hayley Williams)

IStateYourName

IStateYourName

Those of you who have contributed toxicity to this thread...you know who you are.  And as of right now, you're all on...double secret probation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tfK_3XK4CI

IStateYourName

You can make a difference, even in these toxic times...but first, you've got to get mad!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WINDtlPXmmE

Shjade

Quote from: Sabby on February 01, 2014, 11:26:42 AM
It can go a certain way, yes, but I can point to examples where people are arguing and say "That's what anger is" That doesn't help me in identifying anger outside of that situation.

Also, I fail to see how Meikle was 'wisecracking'. Since no one has actually explained what toxicity is, am I free to just say that inaccurate and dismissive assertions of other people is toxic as well?

This is why I asked what toxic means, to avoid things like that. But the OP is the only one who can really clarify that, so I'll just wait for them.

Well, since it appears this thread is otherwise permanently derailed, I guess I'll take a stab at this.

Sabby, toxicity, in the context of forum activity, is a term describing behavior that leads to damaging the health of the forum by way of hostility, exclusivity, and general dickishness. How does toxicity differ from trolling, since that could very well be a description of trolling also, you ask? Well, trolling more often tends to just piss people off, derail topics and generally make a nuisance of itself. Toxicity is more lethal. It's posting patterns that kill topics outright by making people afraid to respond, or even broach the subject at all if it's one that resembles an earlier thread that went down in horrible flames. It's a brand of offensiveness that leaves no room for counterplay other than an equal and opposite hostile reaction that ends with everyone having a bitter taste in their mouth and a nulled interest in returning to the forum.

In some ways it's a newer version of what used to be referred to as cancer on some sites, as in "X is the cancer that is killing Y." Cancer, in that context, can be any number of things, however, where toxicity is more strictly related to hostile/noninclusive behavior that kills the healthy growth of a site.

Does that help at all?
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Sabby

Love And Submission

Quote from: Lux12 on January 26, 2014, 01:47:41 PM
Oh this really grates my nerves. It gets really annoying when people seem to think that Islam, Judaism, and Christianity are the only religions in the world.  I mean there are hundreds if not thousands of religious paths out there but people seem to fixate on these three and act like they're the source of all evil when things such as money, nationalism, wounded pride, resources, and ethnic strife have caused  many more disputes. Never mind that their reading tends to be just as literal as the evangelists they claim to dislike. They do not bother to examine the philosophy. There are all manners of angles they do not consider.  I mean I  can think of people who even believe their religious views are improved or confirmed by science. I can think of plenty of times I'll be reading and I'll think to myself "Hey, that sounds like a mundane reflection of x principle in my religion." I do not mean to sound as if I am just ragging on anybody or venting at them, but its something that grates on my nerves.  I don't expect everyone to agree with me 100% but it would be nice just to see people not be jerks about it. I'm not exactly standing on the proverbial street corner shouting at people about damnation. It doesn't seem to be much of a problem here but elsewhere.

+1

I can't fully convert to atheism until someone manages to debunk Discordianism.  Say what you want about Jesus Christ but the minute you start question the existence of Jehovah 1  is the moment I walk out of the room.

J.R. "Bob" Dobbs would never lie to me.

Discord: SouthOfHeaven#3454