Do you ever get sick of the toxic stuff on forums?

Started by Ironwolf85, January 26, 2014, 11:05:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beguile's Mistress

Toxicity is also ragging on about something that is over and done.  Like I said we'll do the adult thing and agree to disagree before moving on.  It takes more than one person to create a toxic atmosphere. 

meikle

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on February 01, 2014, 07:19:07 AM
Toxicity is also ragging on about something that is over and done.  Like I said we'll do the adult thing and agree to disagree before moving on.  It takes more than one person to create a toxic atmosphere.

"Ragging on"?

I feel like I need to make another point about the way our word choice contributes to the atmosphere of the discussion.
Kiss your lover with that filthy mouth, you fuckin' monster.

O and O and Discord
A and A

Neysha

Quote from: meikle on February 01, 2014, 07:53:01 AM
"Ragging on"?

I feel like I need to make another point about the way our word choice contributes to the atmosphere of the discussion.

Hence your ragging on...

You feel a need to make another point on the same issue that is fairly similar to every other point you've made in this discussion, including after your adversary departed the discussion,  after he left the website in general and after the moderator stated the discussion is over on that tangent.

After each of those stages, you felt a need to continue pursuing the conversation on essentially the same line of argument and in lieu of any actual foil. Considering his defensiveness and inexperience and departure, it coukd be construed as being intentionally provocative or at the very least uncivil by still begging the question/ pursuing the argument.
My Request Thread
Ons & Offs/Role-Plays Current and Past
FemDex: Index of Fictional Women
F-List Profiles: Constance Carrington, Damashi, SCP6969
Prepare For The Next Eight Years
Find me on Discord at: mnblend6567
Credit for Avatar goes to "LoveandSqualor" on Deviant Art. (and Hayley Williams)

Valthazar

Iniquitous

Quote from: ValthazarElite on February 01, 2014, 10:37:57 AM
So, how 'bout them Broncos?

Oh... now I have to take a stance opposite you. Seahawks babeh!
Bow to the Queen; I'm the Alpha, the Omega, everything in between.

Valthazar

Quote from: Iniquitous Opheliac on February 01, 2014, 10:40:25 AM
Oh... now I have to take a stance opposite you. Seahawks babeh!

I'm more of a baseball guy, myself.  I just saw something about horses in this thread, which is why I said the Broncos. :P

Sabby

Forgive my Burgers, but isn't it time someone actually defined what they mean by toxicity? The word is being used for too many things at the moment. The OP seemed to be using it to refer to instant hostility over certain topics, or an unwillingness to discuss them, so why is Meikle being called toxic for pursuing an unwanted discussion out of frustration?

These are different things.

Oniya

I'd think that wise-cracking about someone after they've left a conversation would fall under the category of 'toxic'.  It certainly does in middle-school.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Neysha

Quote from: ValthazarElite on February 01, 2014, 10:37:57 AM
So, how 'bout them Broncos?

You mean the Pot Bowl?  Its clearly going to be the worst excess of Leftist behavior in NFL history.

Stop baiting me!!!

With that said,  I hope the Denver Broncos win. I have a lower opinion of select Seahawk players and personnel then I do of the Broncos. And that's not due to Shermans toxic remarks following the last game, which I find perfectly excusable in context.
My Request Thread
Credit for Avatar goes to "LoveandSqualor" on Deviant Art. (and Hayley Williams)

Sabby

Quote from: Oniya on February 01, 2014, 11:02:30 AM
I'd think that wise-cracking about someone after they've left a conversation would fall under the category of 'toxic'.  It certainly does in middle-school.

Your not using the word 'immature' or 'rude', your using a totally different word in a way that it's not usually used, so just pointing to examples and saying 'it's that' doesn't help anyone understand you.

meikle

Quote from: Oniya on February 01, 2014, 11:02:30 AM

Well, there's two possibilities.  He comes back, or he doesn't.  In one case, I'll have a reply waiting for him.  If he doesn't, then it doesn't matter.

I'm not sure that calling someone a hypocrite is "wise-cracking", though.
Kiss your lover with that filthy mouth, you fuckin' monster.

O and O and Discord
A and A

Kythia

Quote from: Sabby on February 01, 2014, 11:16:30 AM
Your not using the word 'immature' or 'rude', your using a totally different word in a way that it's not usually used, so just pointing to examples and saying 'it's that' doesn't help anyone understand you.

Pointing to examples and saying "it's that" is how words are explained.  Several dictionaries, even, use that method for showing what a word means.

Anyway.

I watch the superbowl every year and arbitrarily pick a team to support.  This year it's Seattle.  So, yeah, go Seahawks.

Sabby

Quote from: Kythia on February 01, 2014, 11:20:21 AM
Pointing to examples and saying "it's that" is how words are explained.  Several dictionaries, even, use that method for showing what a word means.

It can go a certain way, yes, but I can point to examples where people are arguing and say "That's what anger is" That doesn't help me in identifying anger outside of that situation.

Also, I fail to see how Meikle was 'wisecracking'. Since no one has actually explained what toxicity is, am I free to just say that inaccurate and dismissive assertions of other people is toxic as well?

This is why I asked what toxic means, to avoid things like that. But the OP is the only one who can really clarify that, so I'll just wait for them.

Neysha

Quote from: Kythia on February 01, 2014, 11:20:21 AM

I watch the superbowl every year and arbitrarily pick a team to support.  This year it's Seattle.  So, yeah, go Seahawks.

I find your arbitrariness (if that's even a word) to be morally and ideologically bankrupt.

Why you may ask?

Uhhh I'll figure that one out later.
My Request Thread

Kythia

Arbitraritude.  Or possibly arbitrariosity.

The temptation to say I find your face to be morally and ideologically bankrupt is overwhelming, but I won't for fear of being thought toxic.

I like to watch the superbowl, its more fun if you pick a team.  Shrug.

Paladin101

I always root for the ref's. One day a ref will steal the ball and just run for it!

Beguile's Mistress

I'm liking that idea.  I heard on TV last night that the refs have a combined 110 years of experience.  I think it was on Leno but I'm not sure.  Anyway the joke was that they gave all that time to the job so they could go out on the field and listen to 80,000 people scream "You suck!"

IStateYourName

Oniya

The players tried to take the field.
The marching band refused to yield.
Do you recall what was revealed?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Torterrable

Quote from: Oniya on February 01, 2014, 03:36:43 PM
The players tried to take the field.
The marching band refused to yield.
Do you recall what was revealed?

...the day the muuuuusic died.
And they were singing....

Beguile's Mistress

Bye, bye Miss American Pie
Drove my Chevy to the levee
But the levee was dry.

IStateYourName

And good ol' boys were drinking whiskey and rye...
...singing, 'this will be the day that I die..."

Classic.

Neysha

Quote from: Kythia on February 01, 2014, 11:42:33 AMThe temptation to say I find your face to be morally and ideologically bankrupt is overwhelming, but I won't for fear of being thought toxic.

Well I can guarantee that you'd be engaging in a fabrication of the truth then because if you knew my face, you'd rapidly develop some strong ideas about it... guaranteed!

Thus I must assume you speak of my avatar, in which case with her being the sketch of a music popstar, being morally and ideologically bankrupt is practically standard.

So fear not, your toxic personality won't be revealed.

Quote from: Paladin101I always root for the ref's. One day a ref will steal the ball and just run for it!

Again I must... strongly disagree.

If anything the referees should recluse themselves from the game itself. No Bronco nor Seahawk answers to a referee in the wild, and there should be no more refereeing of the Superbowl then there should be refereeing of the duel between Hector and Achilles.  Granted some may be maimed and others perish, but it is the way the a true contest of champions should unfold.

*nods*
My Request Thread

Valthazar

Someone should just turn this into the official Superbowl thread to turn a depressing thread positive.

Gadifriald

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on February 01, 2014, 03:53:25 PM
Bye, bye Miss American Pie
Drove my Chevy to the levee
But the levee was dry.
Them good ol' boys were drinking whiskey and rye, singing...
This'll be the day that I die
This'll be the day that I die
I am a mighty ravisher of captive damsels and princesses!