Religious Symbols in the Army

Started by Torterrable, January 30, 2014, 12:35:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

Quote from: meikle on February 04, 2014, 03:25:10 PM
That's atheist-OK as in "atheist friendly," sorry if I was unclear.
That might be so!  There's a lot of other godly things going on that are probably less benign.  I'm not actually upset about the motto on money, like it's not a huge issue.

(If you caught this before the edit, I had the changes to the Pledge of Allegiance in mind, whoops.)

They occurred at the same time-ish.  1956.

The original, but unofficial US motto is E Pluribus Unum - From many, one.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

meikle

Quote from: Oniya on February 04, 2014, 03:32:48 PM
They occurred at the same time-ish.  1956.

The original, but unofficial US motto is E Pluribus Unum - From many, one.
I think we printed it on our money before it became the official motto, that is what I meant.
Kiss your lover with that filthy mouth, you fuckin' monster.

O and O and Discord
A and A

Oniya

Yes, that's true.  Anywho - mildly interesting trivia break over.

I think the one thing preventing psychiatric counseling from taking the place of the chaplaincy is that - while both offices have an expectation of confidentiality to allow them to function - the stigma associated with visiting a 'mental health professional' as opposed to a 'spiritual advisor' is rather well-ingrained in our society. 
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17