DnD 3.5 Unlimited: Legendary Monsters Recruitment part2!

Started by Zaer Darkwail, January 07, 2016, 09:02:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGlyphstone

Int 17, yo. No one's taking my Legendary Dunce Cap from me. :D

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on April 17, 2016, 03:21:56 AM
Int 17, yo. No one's taking my Legendary Dunce Cap from me. :D

Oh yeah, my bad. You started as regular hydra with Int 2 :P

Keelan

Hmm... I'll keep Effigy in mind; I can also raise that Int of course if I want too, I assume...

But yeah, ended up shooting down most of my ideas; Valkyrie is 11HD (of which 10 MIGHT be Swordsage but it does not explicitly state so) with +5LA, so it's unusable, the drow you liked least, and the ork is a more complicated build (but is likely a backup if this doesn't pan out)...

Also, I found this: http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20030224a and was curious if you considered it a 'mystic' class...

Zaer Darkwail

Well, arcane duelist is a PrC, you could take/progress it on physical side (say rogue 6/arcane duelist 8|Duskblade 14 for gestalt build example). Only limit where PrC can be put is that if it's dual progressing (like mystic theurge or eldricth theurge) the classes such dual progress classes do need to be in same path then (for cleric 3/wizard 3/mystic theurge 8|Knight 14 for gestalt build example).

Also valkyrie or reth dekala are basically outsiders who have martial maneuvers as part of their HD (taking levels martial classes are combined with their HD to determine iniator level and what maneuvers they can select).

Keelan

Hmm... I'm thinking Unarmed Swordsage/Witchblade (what I'm calling the Hexblade+Soulknife housrule :3), taking Sexy Kung Fu, so I run my main 'defense boosts' off my Cha. Also thinking Kolyarut/Soulfused will make her fit mechanicallyl, as Effigy dumps the Cha to 1 and I did plan to use Leadership. Soulfused Kolyarut gives me a +10 Cha >.>

The flavor of it is that she was created as per suggestion, and has had a rather extensive period of time (it's likely been millenia) to modify and improve her self and design.

I also came up with the perfect image for her at your last suggestion Zaer >:3

Zaer Darkwail

Well, Kolyarut/Soulfused with swordsage/witchblade works for me :). Although I think your char is likely heavily LN (as witchblade can be only neutral or evil). Very law heavy as Kolyarut are.

Keelan

Oh I had in mind she was a LN already; considering she'd happily slaughter the Human race given provocation, I can't really call her 'good' now can I? :3  That and she was made to be 'obedient,' which lends itself to orderly following... that has since gone out the window of course ^_^

And it'll help for the character to think of her less as a Kolyarut and more as a 'Prototype Warforged' in terms of how she'll seem. It'll be a case of Mechanics=/=Flavor Text, but on her sheet she'll have everything listed per mechanics. Still working on more of the flavor, but I'll have that with a completed sheet for sure.

Zaer Darkwail

Ok, so flavor wise first construct which gained soul/consience and just happens to have similar stats/spell-alikes of a kolyarut as part of her evolution. Anycase for the firearm what she is carrying (or 'gunarm') can be easily be manifestation of her witchblade abilities (you just need take single level as soulbow from complete psionic to able shoot with your witchblade and so you can flavor your ranged weapon look of your witchblade to look like that gunarm). However you can sink half of your starting gold to a bracers which help enchance your witchblade (count it adamantine example or have extra enchant or two beyond usual limits, MIC has details for that and their called mind blade gauntlets usually).

Keelan

Ooh... can I combine the Adamantine ones with the Greater one as well?  Also, since Soulblade is wrapped into another class, repainted magic, and is now full BAB... do you want to do the same with Soulbow?And if so, what would it be stuck into?

Zaer Darkwail

Yes, you can merge magic items if you can afford it. Most expensive item cost is doubled in the mix of items. Soulbow is also full BAB class yes and it also progresses your witchblade spellcasting (albeit half of usual rate). Soulbow (or rather witchbow) class is arcane class. But as mentioned when speaking martial/magical splits, only base classes are counted (than prestige classes). You could take soulbow PrC levels in monk side example while continue fully the witchblade class.

Keelan

Ah, well, luckily my plan is a full spread of Unarmed Swordsage 20//Witchblade10/Witchbow10; Full BAB, almost full Saves, CL15 and can cast 4th level spells, Charisma to Saves and AC, ability to wear light armor, and pseudo-Sneak attack stuff going on... and that's not looking at all the Maneuvers I could use ^_^

Also, as part of the character flavor, I came up with a little poem (to the Tune of 'Hush Little Baby...')

Hush my children, don't you fear/
Mother now shall forever be near/
And if the human scourge does rise/
Mother shall find and pluck out their eyes/
For once from me you they did take/
But that I swear was their last mistake/
And once their hallowed ground runs red/
We can finally be a family again...

Keelan

Sorry to double-post, but how is it that it seems everyone is nailing 50s and 60s for attributes, 80+ for AC, and 50+ for Saves? I don't think I'm managing that level... perhaps because I'm not able due to HD to stack Templates, but wow, I think I'm making the mechanically 'weakest' of the Legendary monsters... which makes sense as she is human-made technically XD

TheGlyphstone

A lack of template-stacking is probably a factor, yeah. Also, keep in mind that several of the existing characters, at least most of the ones who are 'active', have advanced beyond the starting point you're at. More templates, sometimes very very powerful templates, and extra class levels/hit dice, items and unique special powers, etc.

Sain

Why are you using Kolyarut over regular warforged though? It really doesn't seem to offer that many bonuses or fluff qualities that you couldn't obtain otherwise. Templates are really fun to combo and you could maybe somehow argue for warforged juggernaut to be a monster class if you want to be a full construct.
PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

Keelan

To be honest?  I was having a lot of trouble finding templates you can APPLY to constructs for Warforged. Can't be Half-anything or Anything-blooded, basically leaves like soulfused and things like Saint... that was the biggest reason. Also because I was wanting things based off of Charisma, and Warforged gets that tanked and again couldn't find things to apply to Warforged to overcome it.

If there's something I'm overlooking I'd love to hear about it though.

Sain

Hm having browsed the templates more it really does seem like there aren't all that many templates for constructs :/ I had thought there would be more that you can apply to any race, but no.
PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

TheGlyphstone

However, you could start with a non-Construct, stack the templates you want, then apply Effigy and Soulfused Construct at the end to get a Construct version of your templated creature.

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on April 18, 2016, 11:22:23 AM
However, you could start with a non-Construct, stack the templates you want, then apply Effigy and Soulfused Construct at the end to get a Construct version of your templated creature.

This is absolutely true. As effigy transforms creature after all other factors had been applied in. Albeit effigy is not 'turning' a creature A to B but more as B copies what A has (and is build).

Keelan

I thought I was only allowed two templates...

But if ST says yes I shall definitely consider it. I think I would be losing any SLAs though... But it is still workable

TheGlyphstone

You lose Supernatural abilities, Spell-like abilities, and Special Attacks keyed to Constitution, but keep everything else. Just pick templates that don't give things you would be losing, and you are solid.

Keelan

Oh wait, my Cha would be dropped to 1 like that... I planned to use Cha tho... Might not be the best plan :p

Kunoichi

Might I suggest the humble Modron as a possible solution? Dragon Magazine has updated stats for the basic drones that remakes them as living constructs, which should be useful. The Pentadrone in particular is CR 5, has 6 HD, and starts with 16 Charisma, which can then be increased further through, for example, a theoretical lawful version of the Saint template, or maybe the half-fey template or that variant half-succubus Half Fiend called the Alu-Demon located in the mail section at the beginning of Dragon #355.

For that matter, if you'd like to focus on Leadership, there's always Fire-Souled. ^^

Keelan

Ah, yes, DR354 has that... as a PC race it looks like...

...I like Fire Souled though... why can't there be more awesome constructs?! Seriously, I'd play a Warforged Charger if their mental stats didn't get kicked in the nuts...

Kunoichi

There are plenty of awesome constructs, they just tend to have low Charisma scores as a general rule. :P

There are a few exceptions, though. One that I just found is the Ragamoffyn from the Monster Manual II, for example. That's a construct that's basically mobile clothing that can wrap itself around a living creature and, once being worn by the creature, can control it. CR 3, 3 HD, 17 Cha.  There are also a few variants on it in the same book that might have more HD and/or higher Charisma.

I do think that taking the Pentadrone and adding on the Alu-Fiend and Fire-Souled templates is probably your best bet at getting a high-charisma living construct character, though. You'd be ECL 13 and would have a +16 racial modifier to Charisma.

Keelan

I can see why any who complete char-gen get auto-accepted into the game... *cries a little and curls into a ball*

I keep going back and forth between ideas...

EDIT: Also... Force Golem in MM5, pg68... might could work, maybe?