What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemingway

Quote from: Sabby on August 22, 2011, 05:03:26 AM
I have it quicksaved right now, half way through with minimal damage to the gates. I think I can make it now, but still, this quest is unbalanced.

I've never managed to do it. But that's mainly because I tend to play melee focused characters, and there's just no way of doing that quest without guns. Or so it seems. Legendary game, though. I assume you've patched it?

Quote from: Sabby on August 21, 2011, 09:25:35 PM
They're solid shooters, with a decent story, and plenty of level variety. Honestly, almost every level of those games has a neat twist to it. Anyone complaining that the games are dull are fucking blind and lose any right they had to keep on praising Half Life 2, which has about the same level of variety (even if the games playtime beats it like a rented mule)

A decent story? I'm sorry, are we talking about the same Black Ops? That game was atrocious. The gameplay was nowhere as good as MW2, though in small ways. The story ... ugh, don't even get me started. If you're a fan of cheesy cliché-ridden stories devoid of any actual originality, then, fine, have a blast. But come on! MW2 at least tried to maintain some pretense of some sort of distorted Hollywood realism. When Frank Woods single-handedly held back the Tet Offensive, I sort of realized I wasn't playing a game that wanted me to take it seriously. And I won't.

Yeah, it has a nice variety in the missions. It's too bad a lot of them are so poorly executed as to be ridiculous. The boat ride comes to mind, and the helicopter mission. Or the Blackbird mission!  The original Modern Warfare did it so well. I mean, the AC130 mission is legendary. Here it just feels like they're getting desperate. But, ah well.

In my mind, Call of Duty has lost to Battlefield. Comparing apples and oranges you say? I don't see how.

Sabby

Stop. There's ya problem right there xD comparing it to Modern Warfare. Of course people who liked the Modern Warfare plots are guna hate Black Ops :P like I said, it's backflipped into the realm of complete and utter napalm soaked bullshit, and that's not necessarily a bad thing, but if your holding it to the 'semi-realism' Hollywood standards, well duh you won't like it.

I mean, a Russian slave labor mine having a minigun on site? A hand held one? Before the Cold War? Fucking ridiculous, but come on, you are leading a jail break with a fucking minigun! The story should be enjoyed like a Grindhouse film, not one of the newer James Bond films.

Wolfy

Quote from: Wyrd on August 21, 2011, 11:32:33 PM
So..... anyone looking forward to the new Dragon Ball Z game??

Which one?

I mean, I'm more looking forward to the next Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm Game since it will be taking the story from the very beginning all the way up to (And maybe past) Shippuden's Five Kage Summit Arc, which is a **** ton of content. @_@

http://naruto.wikia.com/wiki/Naruto_Shipp%C5%ABden:_Ultimate_Ninja_Storm_Generations

I mean just take a look at the character roster. @_@

Hemingway

Quote from: Sabby on August 22, 2011, 05:37:32 AM
Stop. There's ya problem right there xD comparing it to Modern Warfare. Of course people who liked the Modern Warfare plots are guna hate Black Ops :P like I said, it's backflipped into the realm of complete and utter napalm soaked bullshit, and that's not necessarily a bad thing, but if your holding it to the 'semi-realism' Hollywood standards, well duh you won't like it.

I mean, a Russian slave labor mine having a minigun on site? A hand held one? Before the Cold War? Fucking ridiculous, but come on, you are leading a jail break with a fucking minigun! The story should be enjoyed like a Grindhouse film, not one of the newer James Bond films.

The problem is that, at least for me, these supposedly humorous things didn't even feel humorous. It felt like the developers were clueless, and genuinely thought they'd come up with something original and gritty and, ahem, "realistic". Inglourious Basterds would've been a terrible movie if it tried at all to pass itself off as a serious movie. Because it's not the world of complete and utter bullshit. The tone of the game is all over the place. In one mission ( arguably one of the better ones ) you're fighting through poison gas, and ... well, it was frustrating, but it wouldn't have felt out of place in MW. But in another mission you're stopping a massive tank attack with nothing but a jeep. And then you're a CIA agent fighting through Kowloon with guns that didn't even exist until years and years later. Maybe I'm getting nitpicky here, but an M16 in a world war 2 game would've raised some eyebrows. This game has that in spades, only with less well-known guns.

Inkidu

I've only ever played Modern Warfare and I doubt they can top me crawling away from my own nuclear wreckage before succumbing to radiation. That was so... poignant.

Still, I'd probably play Black Ops just for the hell of it. I haven't played Modern Warfare 2, but that's because I've got no money. I just paid off Human Revolution (tomorrow!) and I got like 20 bucks left. 
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Sabby

Inkidu, in Black Ops, a pistol can remove limbs. That should give you an idea of it's mechanical accuracy :P as for anything like the nuke scene, Hemingway already mentioned the gas level, which did look fantastic. Whole town blanketed in insta-kill nerve gas so thick you can barely see down the street, you and your buddies in hazard suits having a shoot out.

DeadCell

I just started playing Oblivion for the first time :D I love it so far. After crawling through sewers for about fifteen minutes you open up into this huge rolling world that was just fantastic after the gloom of underground.

ONS AND OFFS / Click Me For Story Ideas /
What is the colour of night?

Sabby

Get used to sewers. And caves. And fields. If ya don't hate them by now, you will by level 30 =3

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on August 22, 2011, 07:22:04 AM
Inkidu, in Black Ops, a pistol can remove limbs. That should give you an idea of it's mechanical accuracy :P as for anything like the nuke scene, Hemingway already mentioned the gas level, which did look fantastic. Whole town blanketed in insta-kill nerve gas so thick you can barely see down the street, you and your buddies in hazard suits having a shoot out.
I bet you get shot too, which realistically would mean you're dead. Instantly. Black Ops is basically a phrase that allows writers total Rambo-esque freedom. It doesn't have to be real because most of America's black ops are still classified to the presidential level. I'm just waiting for Human Revolution. I'll be pulling people through walls in no time.

Oh, and you can remove an arm or a hand with a large enough pistol, .44 could do it fairly easily with hollow points or dum-dums (which are illegal in warfare).

Don't got to level 30 by the way DeadCell, it's asking for a hurting. Stop at 20 and maybe 21 if you decide to do a certain quest. 30 provides no extra loot for a lot of work. 20's basically the level cap in terms of balance.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

DeadCell

Dayum, I will keep that in mind thank you Inkidu.

ONS AND OFFS / Click Me For Story Ideas /
What is the colour of night?

Sabby

Yep, that's level scaling for ya... ya go to the Inn, pass everyone wearing fur, go upstairs to get an hours sleep and level up. Come back downstairs, and everyones suddenly changed to plate armour without even leaving their seats. And all the pigs outside have been replaced with bears. And the thieves who will settle for petty sums on the roads are wearing expensive glass armour... clearly they're desperate.

It was never a good idea :P at least the PC version has some fixes, mods to balance it out. I've given up on modding, but if I actually wanted to play plain old vanilla Oblivion, I could just install the one simple mod that nukes the level scaling. That would be worth it, no real risk involved.

Wyrd

Quote from: Wolfy on August 22, 2011, 06:19:52 AM
Which one?

I mean, I'm more looking forward to the next Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm Game since it will be taking the story from the very beginning all the way up to (And maybe past) Shippuden's Five Kage Summit Arc, which is a **** ton of content. @_@

http://naruto.wikia.com/wiki/Naruto_Shipp%C5%ABden:_Ultimate_Ninja_Storm_Generations

I mean just take a look at the character roster. @_@

Dragon Ball Z Ultimate Tenkaichi.

I don't really care for Naruto. Mainly because i don't think ninja's are cool. lol!   
Ragtime Dandies!

Sabby

They're not Ninja's xD they're steampunk wizards... they got redesigned at the last second because apparently Ninja's are more popular and recognizeable. I don't watch much of the show, I think I made it to the infamous filler stretch, but thinking back, I can definitely see where it's roots shine through. Especially with that one guy you barely saw who had some mechanical arm thing that controls sound. He could have been ripped right from the original draft and given a headband.

Wyrd

Quote from: Sabby on August 22, 2011, 10:13:18 AM
They're not Ninja's xD they're steampunk wizards... they got redesigned at the last second because apparently Ninja's are more popular and recognizeable. I don't watch much of the show, I think I made it to the infamous filler stretch, but thinking back, I can definitely see where it's roots shine through. Especially with that one guy you barely saw who had some mechanical arm thing that controls sound. He could have been ripped right from the original draft and given a headband.

Steam punk wizards... :P Whatever, I'm not up for watching any blonde haired Goku rip off, Haha! Even if is a Ninja... Uhhh.. i mean Wizard.
Ragtime Dandies!

Sabby

Wyrd

Ragtime Dandies!

Sabby

Inkidu

I gave on DBZ after the Buu thing, which I know is technically GT, but screw it.

Naruto I gave up on Naruto after I heard they killed the lecherous old toad man. There went its best character.

Sabby

I don't follow, but has Naruto and that emo guy fucked yet?

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on August 22, 2011, 12:19:22 PM
Only in the hearts, minds, souls, and writings of thirteen-year-old girls.

Oniya

Quote from: Sabby on August 22, 2011, 12:19:22 PM
Quote from: Inkidu on August 22, 2011, 12:29:11 PM
Only in the hearts, minds, souls, and writings of thirteen-year-old girls.

*snickerfits*
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Wyrd

Quote from: Inkidu on August 22, 2011, 12:17:43 PM
I gave on DBZ after the Buu thing, which I know is technically GT, but screw it.

Naruto I gave up on Naruto after I heard they killed the lecherous old toad man. There went its best character.

Buu was Z, he was the finale villain before GT Sooo... You didn't really give up on DBZ seeing as how you apparently watched it to the end. :/ I liked the Buu saga, GT was painfully horrid, though, :p My stomach turns thinking about that series
Ragtime Dandies!

Oniya

Depends on what break in the Buu saga they got to - There was defeating the original, then splitting off Evil Buu, then Evil Buu trying to Take Over The WorldTM and getting defeated, and then the final tournament where Goku meets Uub (Buu's reincarnation).
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Wyrd

Right. But everything in the Buu saga is still in Z
Ragtime Dandies!

Inkidu

Quote from: Wyrd on August 22, 2011, 03:23:18 PM
Right. But everything in the Buu saga is still in Z
I guess it was about the time Kid Buu made his appearance. I said, "Screw it, he's another freaking Cell." and didn't tune in after that. I did end up seeing it some time later though. Shocker, shocker. Goku hit him with a spirit bomb and it didn't work. What a useless technique.

It's like Kill Bill. She goes to Japan has Sonny Chiba take back his oath never to make swords again. She has this kick ass sword and kill all of one important person with it. Yeah.