Suggestion: notification of bookmark activity

Started by mannik, October 18, 2015, 01:33:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mannik

Just had an idea that some people might find useful if it can be done.

Basically I'd like to see a notification of new posts to bookmarked threads in the navigation tabs, similar to how new PMs are indicated.

That way I could see at a glance if I have any new posts to read at a glance from anywhere on the site rather than having to keep checking my bookmarks tab directly. Would also remove the need to message a partner just to let them know I posted during a back and forth exchange.

Andronica

I sent you a PM about Ssieth's Greasemonkey Script. Hopefully that will be helpful. :)

mannik

The greasemonkey script is all well and good, but my suggestion was to add such functionality to the core elliquiy experience without the need for third party scripts...so everybody could make use of it regardless of browser or technical skill. As is, the script requires extensions that seem like they only work on firefox and chrome, so internet explorer or safari users are left out.

The Dark Raven

Quote from: mannik on October 18, 2015, 02:52:46 PM
The greasemonkey script is all well and good, but my suggestion was to add such functionality to the core elliquiy experience without the need for third party scripts...so everybody could make use of it regardless of browser or technical skill. As is, the script requires extensions that seem like they only work on firefox and chrome, so internet explorer or safari users are left out.

So what is the problem with clicking the "My Bookmarks" link at the top?  It works and it's only one more click.

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

mannik

The problem is that it requires me to navigate away from the page I am currently on...I don't think one should have to do that constantly just to check to see if a post had been made if its not really necessary. Why not just constantly have to click the PMs link to check to see if you got a new one? Would that make anything better...no, no it won't.

Any software/web designer can tell you, the fewer clicks required to achieve any thing, the better.

And as for the script itself...it doesn't have the functionality I was hoping for. It informs me to any new reply to ALL threads I've ever posted in, not ones I've bookmarked specifically. And while, yes I can tell it to 'ignore' replies in said threads, they are still listed in that particular tab, so even if it says I have new posts to read in topics I haven't designated to ignore I have to actually search for the ones I consider relevant. That's not as useful as simply notifying unread posts in bookmarked threads.

Beguile's Mistress

You can open Bookmarks in a new tab when you want to look in there or open a tab and pin it to your menu bar if your browser allows such things.  It's just as easy as navigating to the top of the page all the time to check on the button at the top which isn't really at the top all the time and might need a bit of scrolling to find.  Also, if your browser supports auto refresh it will update your thread as often as you want so you don't have to waist time clicking F5.

I use Firefox and do this for several pages I check regularly. :-)

mannik

Ok...starting to feel like you are just ignoring and arguing against my suggestion in favor of 'the way it is' simply because it is how things are now...which is inherently counter productive.

Would it not be better and more functional to have a notification of some sort? Even if its as simple as that little orange (new) tag next to the my bookmarks instead of an actual number. And even if it is at the top of the page, that's where every newly loaded page begins anyway...so even while reading through a story by other people, clicking over to the next page would inform me I have a reply to read in a bookmarked without me specifically having to go look at the bookmarks tab manually or do any scrolling. Which would make things easier, even if only slightly as well as ensure I don't miss a newly posted reply simply because I was distracted elsewhere on the site.

If this is how receptive you guys are of new ideas/suggestions I'll just keep them to myself. Didn't realize it would be so unappreciated.

Beguile's Mistress

Quote from: mannik on October 18, 2015, 03:51:09 PM
Ok...starting to feel like you are just ignoring and arguing against my suggestion in favor of 'the way it is' simply because it is how things are now...which is inherently counter productive.

Would it not be better and more functional to have a notification of some sort? Even if its as simple as that little orange (new) tag next to the my bookmarks instead of an actual number. And even if it is at the top of the page, that's where every newly loaded page begins anyway...so even while reading through a story by other people, clicking over to the next page would inform me I have a reply to read in a bookmarked without me specifically having to go look at the bookmarks tab manually or do any scrolling. Which would make things easier, even if only slightly as well as ensure I don't miss a newly posted reply simply because I was distracted elsewhere on the site.

If this is how receptive you guys are of new ideas/suggestions I'll just keep them to myself. Didn't realize it would be so unappreciated.

Not arguing.  It takes time to get changes done with all the programming currently going on.  Meanwhile, I guess I thought a workaround might help.  It's the best I can offer since I'm not responsible for the programming on the site.  It is also what the rest of us try to do to provide some interim assistance.  After all, not all requests may be possible and what we suggest might be all that is available.

mannik

What better time is there to consider adding bits of code than when the code is already being worked on?

So far the only responses I've gotten are 'use this script' which doesn't even do what I wanted, Raven blatantly disregarding the suggestion like I was dumb for even making it, and you telling me to do basically what I do already...which isn't what I was hoping for.

I know better than to expect such a change to take place overnight, but with suggestions a simple 'good idea!' from a few people can help get it noticed and considered for implementation. So far, if I were veks reading this thread I'd assume that such a feature isn't something people would want given the fact there's been utterly no support for the idea, only people telling me how to make use of the current system, which I've already been using for 7 or so years...so I know how it works. Could just be a little better, that's all I'm trying to say. But it seems like no one agrees.

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Beguile's Mistress

If you truly want to get Veks' attention you should post your suggestion in the proper thread.

New CMS: Feature Request Thread

This is where all of us are posting our requests and suggestions and others are offering the work around suggestions we have.

Beguile's Mistress

mannik

No, didn't even know that thread existed...and also, why is it in on topic since the HELP board has the subtitle of suggest anything? Thought this was the right place for it.

Kye

It's there because that's where Veks chose to put it, my guess being that it is for approved members only.  A new CMS is being worked on, but it is a long process.  What you are requesting may well be included, or it may not.  That's up to Veks.  As for changing something in the current CMS, that is a lot more difficult due to the way it was written and not something that time is going to be devoted to as far as I know, his focus being on the new CMS. 

mannik

Well I copied my original request over to the proper thread, so I guess this one is obsolete now...

The Dark Raven

Quote from: mannik on October 18, 2015, 04:59:37 PM
What better time is there to consider adding bits of code than when the code is already being worked on?

So far the only responses I've gotten are 'use this script' which doesn't even do what I wanted, Raven blatantly disregarding the suggestion like I was dumb for even making it, and you telling me to do basically what I do already...which isn't what I was hoping for.

I know better than to expect such a change to take place overnight, but with suggestions a simple 'good idea!' from a few people can help get it noticed and considered for implementation. So far, if I were veks reading this thread I'd assume that such a feature isn't something people would want given the fact there's been utterly no support for the idea, only people telling me how to make use of the current system, which I've already been using for 7 or so years...so I know how it works. Could just be a little better, that's all I'm trying to say. But it seems like no one agrees.

I didn't think you were dumb, I just didn't understand why it was so important to not do what I know the majority of folks do.  I was trying to understand, not implying you were stupid. 

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

Blythe

Quote from: mannik on October 18, 2015, 05:49:19 PM
Well I copied my original request over to the proper thread, so I guess this one is obsolete now...

I'll go ahead and lock this one since you've moved the suggestion to the CMS thread, mannik.

Thank you for the site suggestion, and hopefully Veks'll get some time to take a look-see at it. :)