Wheel of Time d20 system game [Recruitment open, 3/5-7 spots filled]

Started by Zaer Darkwail, August 31, 2011, 04:38:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zaer Darkwail

And it shall come to pass that what men made shall be shattered,
and the Shadow shall lie across the Pattern of the Age,
and the Dark One shall once more lay his hand upon the world of man.
Women shall weep and men quail as the nations of the earth are rent like rotting cloth.
Neither shall anything stand or abide...

Yet one shall be born to face the Shadow,
born once more as he was born before,
and shall be born again, time without end.
The Dragon shall be Reborn,
and there will be wailing and gnashing of teeth at his rebirth.
In sackcloth and ashes shall he clothe the people,
and he shall break the world again by his coming,
tearing apart all ties that bind.
Like the unfettered dawn shall he blind us, and burn us,
yet shall the Dragon Reborn confront the Shadow at the Last Battle,
and his blood shall give us the Light.
Let tears flow, O ye people of the world.
Weep for your salvation.

Welcome to wheel of time d20 game recruitment/discussion thread. In here we shall collect ideas and thoughts regarding a possible d20 campaign. The system is as said d20 and uses the wheel of time rpg book but in addition we use following links in addition;

Under Dragon's Banner
Age of Illussion
Sharn Penndroen's Treasure Horde Wheel of Time (3.5 DnD rule updated classes)
Wheel of Time Wiki (for some reference info)

I myself I had read books years ago and need seriously pick them up again but I remember the beginning of the story quite well still. So my own suggestion (as potential GM if no one else feels grasp the role as storyteller) is that we start from Eye of the World book. So game would start from Emond's Field in Two Rivers. There is spot for five players, and their not come first serve filled slots. But those who most fast ask for spot and generate a full charsheet with mythweavers or using a nice clear charsheet template have higher chance to be selected.

Now, a must filled spots is for the three men who all are ta'veren and all have been raised in Emond's Field (rest two slots can be anything from wandering merc to visiting tinker or local wisewoman). The exact names, professions or their classes are up to players. But when applying as ta'veren you need choose three universal aspects which are tied to your road of destiny and also tied to end what you will have eventually. Your status as ta'veren does not give special feats or powers what you can freely choose but when you try pull off something what is associated with one, two or three of your destiny aspects, that more likely you succeed even if it's against ultimate odds. What more aspects tied in, that more likely things turn to your favor but the way how it does is up to GM. Now example list of destiny aspects but not limited to;
-Death
-Love
-Betrayal
-Luck
-Madness
-Glory
-Sorrow
-Life
-Shame
-Hatred

Now, every Ta'veren must choose one negative aspect (like death, madness, betrayal etc) and none the three aspects must be in conflict (death vs life, luck vs unlucky etc). This whole ta'veren destiny aspect thing is entirely meant to as storytelling tool and as measure stick for GM to see is something possible or not and when GM should feel generous to add supernatural odd chances of luck or events favorable to do something. Example you can turn negative aspects to your advantage (betrayal example can help turn one minions of shadows as your ally even if same aspect can turn one your friends traitor to get unwanted advantage in goal which feels insignificant by loss of a friend). Ta'veren are closely tied to wheel and so despite where they go or do, they will affect world around them until time of ta'veren ends (not always in death but when their ultimate destiny hits them).

Anyways besides above the char creation rules are;

Stats: 32 point buy or use invisible castle with Elliquiy username and use Grid method with (need edit 4d6 to 5d6) 5d6 (take 3 highest). I would appreciate you do not scroll page back and forth to get better rolls with invisible castle and go with 'iron man' style. Grid gives a lots of rolls already and you can assign them as you want them.
Starting level: 1
Classes: Any class is free to take, it may be that all three male ta'veren are already wilders but for party balance no more than 2-3 wilders in five man setup for now. Also something like Armsman needs make somehow sense in Emond's field (perhaps father taught the trade along side smithwork).
Feats: Besides background feat a +1 more. Also in each pairless level (1, 3, 5, 7 etc) you gain feats instead in usual format.
Wealth: Basics belonging to class.
House rules:
-Wilders can learn weaves per level while initiates cannot. Initiates must study weaves from other weave users (usually from tradition where they initiated). It is meant to balance the fact that initiates more longer run gain more weaves per day and more feats compared to wilders. Also helps drive in for initiates to go seek someone teach them weaves and be very observant in weave lesson classes (also more often than not students share weaves with friends or trade them for favors).
-Half class levels from other classes stack up to your channeler level (need to have one channeler level to gain this benefit). It does not give any other benefits for channeler besides higher level weave slots (does not give more weaves learned, not even to wilders). This ruling makes possible Rand al'Thor was able to be blademaster and all that a powerful channeler in cannon Wheel of Time.

If any any questions or suggestions, please do :).

Zaer Darkwail

Also if this was not clear; Rand is not dragon reborn in this story (Ran, Mat and Perrin can be around in village and you may know the guys)....but there will be a Aes Sedai and Warden in area looking for one....

Muse

All right, Zaer, I'll bite.  :)  Let's see what I can come up with. 

I'd liek to be one of the three young men who is Ta'Veren. 

Do we (as players) know which one is the dragon reborn? 

If so...  *arches an eyebrow* 

Well, no one else has gone for it yet. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Zaer Darkwail

Well, OOC wise I plan actually roll dice to see which one is actually dragon reborn (add a random fun). So all three ta'veren males got chance become one to keep it fair. But I do the actual roll after the first chapter or most, then things start go up towards direction become dragon reborn and as part of reguirement the person needs at least have one channeler level so the person is 9th level or more channeler at 20th level at least.

Muse

Ren Al'Seen: Two Rivers Junior Division Quarterstaff Champion. 
Dai'dore/Wilder
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Zaer Darkwail

Sounds nice. Anyways shameless bump and hope folks pick this up in monday or so. It is holiday weekend somesort now?

Mysterium

*weaves a sheild of illusion about herself as she peeks in to see if Aes Sedai are still wanted for this rp*
Raise your glass if you are wrong in all the right ways!

Zaer Darkwail

Aes sedai are welcome, but you are likely traveling with Morgaine :).

Mysterium

Where shall I post my Sedai's stats? Where is the thread for this rp? I looke three times...am I really 'that' tired that I missed it?

Zaer Darkwail

There is no thread as this RP never got off the ground :P. As only Muse had shown up and told what type of char to create. Anyways you can host your chart by using any suitable online charsheet or type and post it in here.

Mysterium

Ok. I will give your instructions a looksie when my brain is not so scrambled, and do my best to post something. I'll check back as soon as I can.

Aybara

I have been approved and at last I can post here. I am definitely interested and considering playing an armsman if you'll have me. I'm still not sure on the details but he left Emonds Field a little over a year ago to work as a Caravan guard for one of the peddlers that came through, he also doubled at repairing the various trappings on the road putting to use the skills he learned from his father who was a respected leather worker in the village. His father however has fallen ill so a few weeks back he caused another stir by showing up in Emonds Field cutting short his adventures in the world. He might have drawn the eye of a few of the local girls since he came back which is something he'd be delighted at any other time but under the circumstances... He's gone as far as the big city of Baerlon so he might fancy himself a bit more worldly than the other young men of Emonds Field. He spent some of the past year working with some other caravan guards from the borderlands and he was definitely the runt of the group. He's not too well built for an armsman but he is fast and has gotten quite handy with the longsword they gifted him.
Needless to say he will still be wet behind the ears. Skills wise he has a basic understanding of several crafts but is quite good at craft leatherworking.
I have one or two questions on character generation:
How much do armsmen get starting off? I can only find the random amount.
I'd be getting a feat for being human, a feat for my background and a feat from being a level one armsman.
I'm toying with guilt as a destiny aspect, maybe he killed someone in self defence during the year he was gone which is another reason why he came home, he wants to escape combat but whatever way he turns the wheel weaves as the wheel wills and the butcher will have his bill.

Zaer Darkwail

So far as I know you get background bonus feat and armsman bonus feat. I think in Wheel of Times you do not get additional bonus feat at all being human. But you get background bonus feat kind of bonus compared to ogiers who get none (but they do get bonus first level feat which must be non-background kind).

Anyways Guilt sounds good destiny aspect, you need now select two others :). Perhaps Slaugther or Death to present that you create death or slaugther around you (which makes you feel guilty about it). Then something third which may not have shown yet.

Anyways armsman I could rule you start with one masterwork weapon of your choice (kind of background bonus, no heronmarked sword though). Then cheapest medium armor or most expensive light armor and shield or ranged weapon and some silvers (2d6x10).

Aybara

Sounds fair, I'm currently thinking longsword, I'll be using weapon finesse with it. The wheel of time books version allows you to do it with non light weapons but you can't use a shield without taking some penalties. I'll have to consider the other aspects more. Will the game be forum based?

I might try and aim for blademaster or maybe warder as a prestige class depend on the circumstances involved in the game.

Zaer Darkwail

The game will be a forum based. Yeah, you can consider options use shield or not use shield. As two river folk you could get bow from two rivers as ranged weapon instead shield :).

TheVongola10th

OMG! I just read the title and haven't read anything else yet but I Must Immediately Post Interest!!! My favorite book series! :O! I Muuuuuust make it :O lol sorry for the over enthusiasm but this is epic for me xD.

Zaer Darkwail

Hehe, welcome :). Finally some interest on this thread after long time, so thanks for someone necroing it up.

TheVongola10th

I am reading the first of the links now, Under the Dragon Banner, I must admit that dice system is new to me but i will be exceedingly eager to learn it so that I can participate with this, this is starting to seem like my heroine so to say ;P

Zaer Darkwail

hehe, anyways we got two rivers armsman as one destined ones. A aes sedai pupil and then a quarterstaff champion from two rivers as second ta'veren. Need third. I may open up for more spots, max 6 or 7 based on concepts.

TheVongola10th

I am still looking at the Under the Dragon Banner, Would it be possible to have the ability to communicate with wolves, like Perrin and Elyas? Perrin is my favorite character second only to Rand, and I think I would like to base my character off of him somewhat unless that becomes problematic.

Zaer Darkwail

It is possible. There is PrC which allows to do so and also there is feat which allows to become wolfbrother or wolfsister.

TheVongola10th

Zaer Darkwail

PrC = prestige class. This wheel of time game uses d20 system. There is prestige class which creates Perrin after he starts become more closer connected to wolves (along with madness rating/meter which measures animal alike behavior).