Chinese Mystical Martial Arts Mayhem!! Recruiting Closed

Started by Red Offerings, January 21, 2014, 04:59:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red Offerings

Quote from: kckolbe on January 26, 2014, 08:51:01 AM
Sorry, meant warlord in the RoTK sense, high intellect and political ability.

Ooh okay. That'll work then.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle.

Red Offerings

Quote from: kckolbe on January 26, 2014, 08:41:19 AM
My concept is that of a administrator from a small clan, only a novice at fighting and chi, but quite respectable as a warlord.  Having trouble writing up a full sheet, though, with nothing else to really work from.

Do you need help then? Resources?
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle.

Florence

By the way, do you have anything set in stone concerning the Wu clan? I just want to be sure my character sheet doesn't conflict with anything you already have decided for them.
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

kckolbe

You touched on it a little bit about not knowing much about the main clans, which would be important since my character's choices would be based on them. 
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

Red Offerings

Quote from: Finn MacKenna on January 26, 2014, 09:00:18 AM
By the way, do you have anything set in stone concerning the Wu clan? I just want to be sure my character sheet doesn't conflict with anything you already have decided for them.

No, the only clans that I have anything specific for would be Zhou and Lo. Wu was not present when the plot went down, so they kind of got dragged in by surprise, which sucked for them because when they got to the palace, they didn't know what had happened and the Xiao palace guards assumed since Zhou and Lo were involved, that by then Wu was too. Then Zhou and Lo hit them just because they weren't going to risk assuming Wu would take their side or try to avenge Xiao. All Wu saw when they arrived was the murdered infant heir on the steps leading to the inner palace.

Red Offerings

Quote from: kckolbe on January 26, 2014, 09:05:31 AM
You touched on it a little bit about not knowing much about the main clans, which would be important since my character's choices would be based on them.

Are you Xiao or Song?

kckolbe

Xiao.  I was considering playing a big fish in a little pond by not being from any of the major families there.
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Intro Thread

Red Offerings

Quote from: kckolbe on January 26, 2014, 09:12:00 AM
Xiao.  I was considering playing a big fish in a little pond by not being from any of the major families there.

That's fine. With that then, you can kind of just make your own clan if you'd like. The little clans have only been fighting purely because they're all trying to posture for the throne. So they've all been fighting amongst each other.

Florence

Aaaaaalmost done, just working out the physical appearance.
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

Red Offerings

Red Offerings

Question: For the role playing threads, should I make a Song thread and a Xiao thread respectively?

Florence

Well I was under the impression that the story would focus primarily on Xiao. I think its important that we have some focus like that, to make sure the characters are interacting the story is moving along, rather than everyone just waiting about to run into each other.

Either way, I wouldn't think of splitting anything until there are more approved character sheets, as you don't want to risk splitting a small group into even smaller halves.

Pumpkin Seeds

Yeah, that's one reason I went with traveling musician figuring she would have an interest in pursuing such a group as they adventured and discovered new stories for her to tell and songs to play.

Red Offerings

Quote from: Finn MacKenna on January 26, 2014, 10:58:49 AM
Well I was under the impression that the story would focus primarily on Xiao. I think its important that we have some focus like that, to make sure the characters are interacting the story is moving along, rather than everyone just waiting about to run into each other.

Either way, I wouldn't think of splitting anything until there are more approved character sheets, as you don't want to risk splitting a small group into even smaller halves.

The large story is the primary focus, but people don't have to follow it, just all will be impacted by it in some form or another. You're right though, I'll have to wait to do anything for more profiles.

kckolbe

I have to admit that I am very concerned.  I was fairly confident that I didn't know what to expect, but I fear none of us really do.

Intro Thread

HairyHeretic

Giving the characters a reason to act together will be help to get things going, I would say. Otherwise you run the risk of the players going off in a dozen different directions, with or without plots of their own.

Giving links to other characters helps as well, as it gives them a reason to act together.

If anyone wants to link my PC into their own background, assuming my character draft gets approved, he's a wandering Fangshi (exorcist), dealing with restless spirits, supernatural threats and wandering monsters. He could have been hired by an authority figure to deal with a particular threat, or met other wandering characters on the road.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Red Offerings

Quote from: kckolbe on January 26, 2014, 11:12:19 AM
I have to admit that I am very concerned.  I was fairly confident that I didn't know what to expect, but I fear none of us really do.

What do you mean? You're not really supposed to know exactly what is going to happen. I'll also be waiting until everyone who has wanted to submits a profile before I decide exactly how to kick things off. I have a good idea already, but I'm going to wait for you and a couple of others before I decide.

Red Offerings

Quote from: HairyHeretic on January 26, 2014, 11:21:32 AM
Giving the characters a reason to act together will be help to get things going, I would say. Otherwise you run the risk of the players going off in a dozen different directions, with or without plots of their own.

Giving links to other characters helps as well, as it gives them a reason to act together.

If anyone wants to link my PC into their own background, assuming my character draft gets approved, he's a wandering Fangshi (exorcist), dealing with restless spirits, supernatural threats and wandering monsters. He could have been hired by an authority figure to deal with a particular threat, or met other wandering characters on the road.

I can already see a couple of the characters will be linked in one way or another without their knowing. I can't go into more though because that will ruin a surprise I have.  ^-^

Florence

Well, just make sure we have enough to go off of. I like surprises as much as the next guy, but just make sure that it's going to help the rp instead of hindering it. I know from experience how easy it is to get over-ambitious with stuff like that xD

ALSO. https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=195295.msg9507938#msg9507938

Yanyi is up if anyone wants to link their history with her in some way :O

Red Offerings

Quote from: Finn MacKenna on January 26, 2014, 11:34:48 AM
Well, just make sure we have enough to go off of. I like surprises as much as the next guy, but just make sure that it's going to help the rp instead of hindering it. I know from experience how easy it is to get over-ambitious with stuff like that xD

ALSO. https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=195295.msg9507938#msg9507938

Yanyi is up if anyone wants to link their history with her in some way :O

It's not something that'll impact anything for the time being.

Red Offerings

Actually for the starting point, I'll be able to help funnel everyone into one spot. I'm waiting to see how many more Song's we get, but you'll all be starting off in my character's village. The wars between the smaller clans have filtered down and out towards Song that far. If you take a second to read the last couple paragraphs of her history (but I'll be repainting it in the introduction post anyways) their village has been hugely impacted by the fighting over the last few years. It's in Xiao but only 100 miles from the Song border. So I think it will be the perfect place to begin.

You will be able to decide why your character is there. If you're from Song, that's easy, it's the closest civilization to the border.

Florence

Quote from: Red Offerings on January 26, 2014, 11:43:25 AM
Actually for the starting point, I'll be able to help funnel everyone into one spot. I'm waiting to see how many more Song's we get, but you'll all be starting off in my character's village. The wars between the smaller clans have filtered down and out towards Song that far. If you take a second to read the last couple paragraphs of her history (but I'll be repainting it in the introduction post anyways) their village has been hugely impacted by the fighting over the last few years. It's in Xiao but only 100 miles from the Song border. So I think it will be the perfect place to begin.

That works for me, it could very easily be the same area that Yanyi settled down in. If you'd like to work out some history between the characters I'm open for it :D

Red Offerings

Quote from: Finn MacKenna on January 26, 2014, 11:48:58 AM
That works for me, it could very easily be the same area that Yanyi settled down in. If you'd like to work out some history between the characters I'm open for it :D

I will PM you.

HairyHeretic

I wander where the winds blow me. I can be anywhere as easily as anywhere else :)
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Red Offerings