News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Warhammer 40K

Started by Darthvegeta800, September 19, 2008, 07:00:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darthvegeta800

Would anyone be interested in an rp involving the grim dark future of WH40K?
The many factions and the richness of the exotic setting allows for many types of storylines.
Be it smallscale or largescale, involving relentless Inquisitors, courageous Guardsmen, mighty Space Marines, plundering Chaos Space Marines or the Eldar - Dark Eldar feud.

Furthermore violence, sex and an overall adult/mature and even excessive approach to things would be no problem in the setting which is defined by it's over the top (yet believable) feeling.

CaptainErotica

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=20910.0

A few posts below this one. Feel free to run with this one if you get enough interest. I don't think I can pull off running this one afterall, but would consider joining if you start one up.

magnamos

The Mainquestion is: Would you keep it in the WH40k System or do you play it freeform. I think the System was one of the main drawbacks to your Idea, Roboguy. I, for example, don't know the System and while I'm willing to learn it always a bad feeling to run into unknown territory blindfolded. Believe it or not but some things that seem obvious are totally twisted and different in a System.

CaptainErotica

I've always preferred free form for online gaming, or MURPG since it is diceless and easy to learn. however, for some games you need some form of system. How do you handle shootouts, knife fights, etc where you need to know the outcome. Sure you could free form it all, but it takes a lot of PMing and discussion between the attacker and attackee over who gets hurt, maimed, etc. It is possible to run it using a better known system like d20, but then your last comment comes into play tenfold. If you can make it work free form I say go for it.

Darthvegeta800

I was planning freeform. As from experience i know that using systems like Dark Heresy, D and D ends up slowing things down and even worse ends up turning things into numbercrunching.

Pumpkin Seeds

I wouldn't mind trying like a Sister of Battle or Eldar/Dark Eldar.

Idej

Interested.  I am thinking maybe the Tau.  Then again depending on what is thrown in, Eldar Harlequins wouldn't be too bad.  They work excellent with the Daemonhunters.

CaptainErotica

I love the Battle Sisters as well, but depending on gender make up I might have to settle for a male character. That and depending on the actual campaign. if we are all Alcolytes to the Inquisition it will limit out choices somewhat.

Idej

Then again, playing as a Commissar or a Storm Trooper in the Ordo Hereticus wouldn't be too bad.  Or even being an Inquisitor in the Ordo Hereticus wouldn't be too bad.

Pumpkin Seeds

Supposively rules for the Sisters of Battle are coming out or are they already out?  I can never figure out if that book is out now but just not in the US.

HairyHeretic

If you're refering to Dark Heresy, there's a Sisters career in there. If you mean a redone Sisters / =I= codex for 40k, not yet.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Pumpkin Seeds

Yeah, I just looked up the Sisters for Dark Heresy.  As for a codex thing...yeah it's still Witch Hunters book.  I know I've only recently stumbled on the universe beyond Dark Heresy, but I don't see what's so bad about being grouped in with them.

HairyHeretic

Rumour has it that when the codex is redone it will be a combined =I= one, so if that's true it will roll all 3 =I= factions and their military support (Sisters, Grey Knights and Deathwatch) into the one book. No idea if that is true or not, but if it is, I would guess it's at least a year away, if not more.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Pumpkin Seeds

I've heard of the Grey Knights..what is Deathwatch?

HairyHeretic

Military arm of the Ordo Xenos (Alien Hunters). They're marines taken from their own chapters, formed into squads (armour is all black, silver trim, and they keep the shoulder pad with their proper chapter heraldry on it), and kitted out with anti-alien wargear.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

CaptainErotica

A game made up of a mix of all 3 of the above chapters/affiliations might be fun. Maybe a small unit weith the Deathwatch that allows Battle Sisters into their ranks.

Darthvegeta800

Hmm well in any case i won't use the rules of Dark Heresy.
It may actually be interesting to use the rules of the wargame itself to make a basic 'template' of your char's abilities/equipment. I encountered that system before.

Involving Eldar/Dark Eldar may be fun.

It does seem most people would like at least Sisters of Battle to be involved 'somehow'. I'll take that into account.
As for their allies/superiors:
- Space Marines?
- Grey Knight squad?
- Inquisitorial Stormtroopers?
- Inquisitor + retinue
- plenty of possibilities.

There's also the possibility of 2 viewpoints: Order versus Chaos
Each with 1 char on each side?

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Robguy on September 21, 2008, 08:51:33 AM
A game made up of a mix of all 3 of the above chapters/affiliations might be fun. Maybe a small unit weith the Deathwatch that allows Battle Sisters into their ranks.

Deathwatch Marines are deployed down to squad level, and perhaps even as individuals. They are Marines though, so SoBs wouldn't be taken into the Deathwatch. Not if you want to stick to canon at least.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Inkidu

You know I always wanted to do a system game then I get in here and it intimidates me. And I thought "Hey Warhammer 40K I've heard of this and its Sci-fi! I like Sci-fi."

Anyway care for a total noob?
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Darthvegeta800 on September 21, 2008, 09:43:17 AM
It does seem most people would like at least Sisters of Battle to be involved 'somehow'. I'll take that into account.
As for their allies/superiors:
- Space Marines?
- Grey Knight squad?
- Inquisitorial Stormtroopers?
- Inquisitor + retinue
- plenty of possibilities.

The Adepta Sororitas are under the command of the Ecclesiarchy. Like Marines they stand somewhat outside the normal chain of command of the Imperial Guard.

The Inquisition has the right to take command of any Imperial, from a single scribe all the way up to a battleship. When dealing with the Marines, they tend to ask, rather than simply order. Stormtroopers are the default Inquisitorial muscle, for any kind of military operation.

If you're looking to run a game with a diverse cast, then either an Inquisitor and retinue, or a Rogue Trader are probably your best options.

Or a Sensei :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Darthvegeta800

True but the Ecclesiarchy is a frequently depicted as a natural ally of the Inquisition. For obvious reasons.

As for Space Marines well they could just offer aid in case of a dire threat or:
- They're Grey Knights
- Or they belong to a Space Marine Chapter with close ties to the Inquisition. Recently one of those was canonized but i forgot their name.

Inkidu

I'll take that as a no then?
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

HairyHeretic

The Grey Knights tend to kept in reserve to deal with Deamonic incursions, since there are so few of them. Any Inquisitor could theoretically request the help off any Marine chapter, but good luck getting say the Dark Angels to agree to that :)

Still, with a thousand chapters out there, it's not that hard to come up with a marine on two on detached duty, perhaps down to some ancient oaths and agreements.

The Ordo Malleus and the Grey Knights work very much hand in hand, ditto the Ordo Hereticus and the Sisters. The Ordo Xenos don't have such close ties to one force, but have Deathwatch marines inducted from likely dozens of chapters.

Bringing in Marines, or especially Sisters, you'd need to have a Puritan Inquisitor. A Radical would soon find his allies turning on him. Though there was one Marine chapter that would probably work quite nicely with a Radical Deamonhunter. I can't remember their name offhand, but they had a thing for 'finding' deamonic weapons and using them against the enemies of the Imperium. Those would seem a natural fit.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Darthvegeta800

Quote from: Inkidu on September 21, 2008, 10:11:06 AM
I'll take that as a no then?

Sure you can join in. I never said you couldn't now did i?

Yeah DA hate the Inquisition.
As for Grey Knights i'm well aware of their uniqueness and primary purposes. Though theoretically one or more of them could be present for a variety of reasons.

As for Inquisitors i was already thinking about a puritan as it would make things plotwise so much easier.

Inkidu

Nifty any site with some rules I can look up?

Darthvegeta800

Quote from: Inkidu on September 21, 2008, 03:14:07 PM
Nifty any site with some rules I can look up?

Lol as stated we're going freeform. But you're free to jump in if we ever get it going.

Inkidu

Quote from: Darthvegeta800 on September 21, 2008, 03:15:05 PM
Lol as stated we're going freeform. But you're free to jump in if we ever get it going.
Well then I'm going to need factions, jobs, etc.

HairyHeretic

Do a search for the 40k fluff bible. Its a collection of a lot of the bits and pieces from 1st and 2nd ed, maybe even bits from 3rd, and should clue you in on a lot. For everything else, feel free to ask me.  I've been playing 40k for as long as there has been a 40k, so odds are I know something about anything you'd ask.   ;D

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Pumpkin Seeds

So what kind of level would we start with in the game?  I know freeform doesn't have rules but I got my hands on the Witchunter codex and really liked the Seraphim.  Yet they are supposed to be elite and stuff...so are we starting with that kind of character or would a basic "grunt" type be preferred?

Idej

If someone decides to be a Grey Knight, I wouldn't mind whipping out a Harlequin.  As said before Daemonhunters and the Grey Knights are one of the few allies that the Harlequins have.  And they are the only branch in the Inquisition to have an Inquisitor let alone a Mon Keigh enter the Black Library.

Darthvegeta800

Depends on the powerlevel of the Campaign.
The more powerful you guys go the more 'epic' the story goes.
I'd advise against playing the Top Tier chars of factions though unless there are the right situations.

Basically either the story will be low-power:
- You have a small band of 'heroes' led for instance by an Inquisitor or the likes who cooperate to solve either a mystery (cultproblem?) or try to survive. Inquisitor's Warband, Sister-Marine-3 Guardsmen and a reluctant Eldar for instance.
- Midpowered you have a squad of Space Marines and allies engaged in a mission. Be it recovery, sabotage, evac, a purge or the likes.
- Highpowered, the world or system is a battlezone and you're all tooled up representatives of your faction among similars.
This would allow for Commanding Space Marines, Elite veteran Guardsmen, Grey Knights, Canonesses etc. The kind of epic struggle where Titans run around and your opposition is equally if not more intimidating.

On a secondary note, for information check out this link:
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Main_Page

Pumpkin Seeds

Is there still interest here?

Darthvegeta800

Sure. R/l just been keeping me a bit busy. New year has begun and i'm getting used to the new rhytm. Not to mention the annoying paperwork -___-

Feel free to brainstorm here btw!

Idej

I know many people like roleplaying as members of the Imperium how 'bout doing a rogue trader like campaign.

ZK

Not to hijack this and all that. But the Dark Heresy line; they're getting Rogue Trader next year. Yay. :D
On's/Off's --- Game Reviews

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

Blondie

Nice idea. Hope you get this idea up, I like it a lot.  ;D

HairyHeretic

Quote from: ZK on September 29, 2008, 11:41:37 PM
Not to hijack this and all that. But the Dark Heresy line; they're getting Rogue Trader next year. Yay. :D

I think that was to be the original plan .. nice to see FFG are running with it. If that's the case we should see the Marine focused book (Deathwatch maybe) 6-12 months after that.

Me, I want to get my hands on Disciples of the Dark Gods  ;D

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Darthvegeta800

Quote from: HairyHeretic on September 30, 2008, 11:35:41 AM
I think that was to be the original plan .. nice to see FFG are running with it. If that's the case we should see the Marine focused book (Deathwatch maybe) 6-12 months after that.

Me, I want to get my hands on Disciples of the Dark Gods  ;D

Yes. Since most people adore Space Marines above all. It should boost sales/the line.
Of course like with Inquisitor it may bring problems along with it.
Though i suppose you could say you'd be playing 'epic' level if you use Space Marines in Dark Heresy.

As for the rp itself.
What about a system or planet that's facing dire problems at onces.
There have been slaveraids by strange 'xeno's', Orcs are overrunning a keyworld and to make matters worse unknown to the Imperials some have turned 'traitor'?

magnamos

Why don't you add an aproaching Clanfortress of the Space Marines that has order to purge the Planet? I think it would add great to the apocalyptic feeling and probably cause riots.

Darthvegeta800

Clanfortress? You mean a Battlebarge?
Space Marines may arrive to assist. And/or the Inquisition depends.
Basically the severity of the situation should allow a more varied caste to pop up.

Idej

I was thinking on maybe being an Inquisitor or an apprentice to an Inquisitor.  Preferrably in the Ordo Malleus.

Pumpkin Seeds

Could my character be a Sister of Battle from a Order?  From reading about them it seems that they rarely travel around like the Space Marines do.

Darthvegeta800

The SoB's do travel around for mission or to defend certain causes/interests. There's no problem with one or more Sisters being present somewhere.

Primarch

I'd be very interested in playing an Inquisitor.

Pumpkin Seeds

So what is needed to get things going?

Primarch

I'm guessing a definite story line and a thread set up really. Maybe a character creation thread?

edit: Oh and when we're making up our characters, I know we're doing it free form, but should we stick to the wargear point restrictions? Or will we just take what we want and hope not to go overboard?

HairyHeretic

If you have access to them, have a look at the Dark Heresy rulebook and the Inquisitors handbook. Lots of fun stuff in there in terms of equipment.

Cattle die, kinsmen die