Anyone familliar with Blue Rose?

Started by Vice, May 26, 2006, 04:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vice

Aldins, from what I gather of the book, do not really have naming conventions, just as their physical appearance can vary widely, because Aldis is a melting pot.

I will try to post up some general character generation info this weekend.

Jefepato

Rhydans disturb me mildly (since I'm not really into non-humanoid animal-types in a sexual context), but in general Blue Rose would be fun to try.  I'm thinking of playing a healer (if I remember, stats will come later tonight when I look at the rules again).

Vice

Well, for the record, there is nothing to suggest that Rhydan mate outside of their species. Certainly not in canon, anyway. They're psychic, and some will form psychic bonds to humanoids, but the relationship is (presumably) non-sexual.

Pesonally, I'd leave it to the players.

Jefepato

Oh, I'm well aware that the book never even suggests that rhydan would mate outside their species, but this is Elliquiy after all.  I would be amazed if no one else was thinking it.

(I don't care if other players run scenes like this.  I just wanted to make clear where my interests don't lie so there won't be confusion later.)

Not that it really matters.  Who can afford to blow a feat on Rhy-bonded?  There's never enough feats!

Jefepato

Anyway, here's a preliminary sheet.  Background to come later.

Talia Alanthos, female human (Aldin) adept 1
Alignment: Light
Calling: Creating change
Light Nature: Compassionate
Shadow Nature: Hopeless
Orientation: Cepia luath

STR -1
DEX +1
CON +0
INT +2
WIS +3
CHA +1

Initiative +1 (+1 DEX)
Defense 13 (+2 base, +1 DEX)
BAB +0

Melee attack bonus: -1 (+0 BAB, -1 STR) (-1 damage unarmed, +1 damage with quarterstaff)
Ranged attack bonus: +1 (+0 BAB, +1 DEX)
Cryston attack bonus: +3 (+0 BAB, +3 WIS) (+3 damage)

Saves:
Toughness +0 (+0 base, +0 CON)
Fortitude +0 (+0 base, +0 CON)
Reflex +1 (+0 base, +1 DEX)
Will +5 (+2 base, +3 WIS)

Conviction: 3
Wealth: +5
Professional skill: Heal

Skills:
Concentration + (+4 ranks, +3 WIS)
Craft (elixirs) + (+4 ranks, +2 INT)
Diplomacy +5 (+4 ranks, +1 CHA)
Heal +7 (+4 ranks, +3 WIS)
Sense Motive +7 (+4 ranks, +3 WIS)

Arcana:
Body Control +7 (+4 ranks, +3 WIS)
Cure +7 (+4 ranks, +3 wIS)
Heart Reading +3 (+0 ranks, +3 WIS) (DC 13)
Mind Touch +5 (+4 ranks, +1 CHA) (DC 11)
Psychic Shield +7 (+4 ranks, +3 WIS)
Second Sight +3 (+0 ranks, +3 WIS)

Feats:
Arcane Training (Body Control, Cure)
Arcane Training (Mind Touch, Psychic Shield)
Healing Talent
Psychic Talent
Pure-Hearted

Equipment:
Cryston
Quarterstaff
Five days' rations
Waterskin
Traveler's outfit
White healer's outfit

MadPanda

Aww, man...I think this one's dead.   :(  Unless we can find a replacement GM...
Voluptas ailuri fulgentis decretum est!
Omnis nimis, temperantia ob coenobitae.
(Jes, tiuj frazoj estas malĝustaj. Pandoj fakte ne komprenas la latinan!)

One on Ones Suggestion Box
Group Game Suggestion Box
Pandariffic Ons and Otherwise
In Memory of Bishrook

ZK

I know Blue Rose and own the core book for it. Lovely material.
On's/Off's --- Game Reviews

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

MadPanda

Question is, do we still have other players?  And if so, who?

In Memory of Bishrook

Jefepato

I'm still here, and very curious about whether this system actually works for non-superhero games.

ZK

Well, Blue Rose is a romantic fantasy game, so, it should in fact be "epic" on some scale or another. But, True20 does work with it, Blue Rose was made with the system. ^^

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

MadPanda

Well, if you're up to running it, ZK, I think it's yours...unless Vice comes back  ;D

In Memory of Bishrook

MadPanda

In Memory of Bishrook

ZK

I'd like to play in a Blue Rose game. But if worse comes to worse, I'll host it.

Goblinmoon

I have the main book, but I suck at systems so a Q&D guide would be useful. I'm interested though if this is still alive.

MadPanda

In Memory of Bishrook

MadPanda

Oh, Viiiiiiii-ice?  Where'd ya go, man?   ???  (shrug)  ZK, you still willing to put this one together?  We have interested parties but no GM, and I'm maxed out on trying to ref stuff just now...

In Memory of Bishrook

Vice

I'm here, but due to pretty much everything going to crap at once, I don't have enough time to even think about running a Blue Rose campaign.  :'(

On second thought, this might be the perfect diversion/project for me. How many people are still here and interested?

If you can give me a week to get things sorted out, I could probably get a game running.

MadPanda

In Memory of Bishrook

Jefepato

Goblinmoon

I am but will need help. I suck at systems, even though I have the book.

Vice

Well, here's what I'm thinking of:

Sojourn is a rapidly growing trade city in the east, in the shadow of the Veran Marsh. It is home to a diverse community of Jarzoni refugees and young, ambitious Aldin merchants. It is only a couple of days travel from the port city of Marayal, where sailors bring fresh goods from the islands and the lands beyond the sea. Despite the near-constant dangers from the Veran Marsh (which is infested with bandits, to say nothing of the supernatural horrors deep within the marsh), and possible military attack from the imperialistic Theocracy of Jarzon. Aldin diplomats work furiously to weave intrigues to protect the city, but their economic hold on Jarzon is ever tenuous.

The players will take the role of young adventurers in search of fortune, purpose, or maybe just love, who have come to the city to find their way. Some may be fresh from military academies looking for work as caravan guards, city patrolmen, or scouts to root out the bandits in the marsh. Others may  be neophyte diplomats or merchants looking to start up their careers. And of course, Adepts can find a myriad of opportunities in a city like this.

Now, I know that some people aren't as familiar with the setting.

A very long time ago, there was a golden age. One large kingdom, ruled wisely, etc. etc. Like all golden ages, it fell into darkness, and the lands came under the control of the Sorceror Kings, who abused the power of magic horribly, using dark, unethical, and evil powers collectively known as 'sorcery'. In time they were deposed, except for Jarek, who still rules over the mountainous region of Kern. I'm rushing through this here to keep it short and sweet, but there is a lot of history and mythology here, including the Golden Hart, a mystic animal that led the people against the Sorceror Kings, but I can explain more of that later.

After the fall of the Sorceror Kings, the people now known as the Jarzoni formed a strict Theocracy that banned all magical practices and enforced a strict moral code, banning homosexuality, severely restricting the rights of women, persecuting non-humans, and immolating anyone who deviates from the state religion. They have a serious problem with Aldis, seeing it as decadent and in need of saving, and will frequently try to take military actions against Aldis, but they are always rebuffed. Economic factors and the danger presented by Kern prevent either side in the conflict from dedicating their full attention to the matter.

Aldis is, in short, a modern, progressive, liberal republic. They've taken nearly every possible precaution against political and magical corruption. Their monarch is actually chosen by the Golden Hart, from a pool of nobles. The nobles, in turn, are put through a selection process using a magical rose that will only anoint the pure of heart. While corrupt nobles are not unknown, such corruption occurs after their ascencion. Aldis prides itself on being an accepting, open society. They recognize the sentience of the Rhydan (Jarzon does not), allow gay marriages, and in some areas (generally the south) they even allow group marriages (this is not a common practice at all in Aldis, but they accept it). They are a people that value love, the arts, and peace. They are in constant danger from Kern and Jarzon, and also have the usual problems with bandits, corrupt merchants, piracy, and the occasional government corruption.

Kern, to the north, is a dark and dreary place, firmly in the grip of evil. Jarek is a lich, and he rules over the people of Kern ruthlessly. Humans in Kern are basically slaves, and work to support the country, and unearth crystals which are used for magical purposes. Jarek's large supply of magical crystal, as well as his willingness to use dark magic to supplement his forces with demons, vampires, and the undead ensure that his control of the region is absolute. None of his neighbors are strong enough individually to depose him, and they lack the cohesion to put together a competent alliance.

Rezea is a land to the west, populated by nomadic people that roughly resemble a cross between the Mongols and Native Americans. I'm purposely being vague here, as Rezea is far from where the game is located, and I'd like to keep them a little mysterious. You're welcome to read about them on your own in the books, or even make a Rezean.

Vice

Quote from: Goblinmoon on October 19, 2006, 12:18:37 AM
I am but will need help. I suck at systems, even though I have the book.

Well, chargen is pretty straightforward...ability scores are only tracked by the bonus they give now, so you don't have to worry about the difference between strength 15 and strength 16. You just pick one of three classes, put 6 points in six ability scores, pick a few known skills, two feats, an area of origin, and off you go. The Light/Shadow Nature thing is easy, and is just based on the personality of your character.

The only part where it might get more complicated is in making a Rhydan, and that's not too hard either. I'd be glad to help.

MadPanda

Hmm.  Kerwyn would work perfectly for this chosen setting...  ;D  I should go have a look at him again.

In Memory of Bishrook

Vice

Okay, so that's three people so far. Feel free to post your character sheets here, or PM them to me.

MadPanda

My Mk. I sheet is on here somewhere, a few pages back...

In Memory of Bishrook