Adventure! Romance! High Fantasy! [UN]

Started by Lunaris, January 01, 2009, 01:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lunaris

For a long time now, I've had an immense desire to do an RP centered on a group of adventurers traveling through the great outdoors on the way to some place or goal. Actually...that's misleading. I *always* want to do stuff like this. I love adventure. I love traveling through the wilderness on the way to exotic locales. Given the types of characters I play, High Fantasy would be ideal for this...both for the magic involved and for what the characters can see and do.

At the same time, I've yet to be immersed in a deep polyamorous relationship between such a group. I feel such a thing could be beautiful...perhaps even unforgettably so. Races, preferences, and species? Pretty much take anything (attractive) out of your generic fantasy stew or go supernatural with Nymphs, Succubi, Erinyes, Celestial or Fiendish humans, Catfolk, etc., Yuri, relationships between women and hermaphrodites/intersexed individuals, shapechangers, and variants of such deeply appeal to me.

You can see my ons and offs and/or my intro thread (both linked in me siggy) for what I like and what makes me shudder...but at the same time, everyone's different, and while I may have my preferences, others have their own. So long as it doesn't go too far into the danger zone, other people should be able to enjoy themselves in this as well! It is a group thing, after all.

Now for specific ideas:

New to the Profession
Adventurers aren't born extremely skilled. Everyone starts off green at some point, right? What about a group of people meeting for the first time and embarking on their first real adventure together? Good times and fond memories, right? Everything's new and fresh. And your attractive partners? Well...gods willing, this'll be unforgettable!

Let the Adventure Come to Us
After traveling together for some time and many successes in the field, this group of adventurers wanders on to the next hotspot...and the road is long enough for them to have the time to truly look at one another, reveal hidden feelings, and show love for those that have been with them through thick and thin.

An Amazing Discovery
Here it is! The fabled floating continent or hidden remnants of a civilization long lost. Though nature has asserted her will over these ruins, hints of their former prominence are all over. The group searches for answers, magics, power...and while their intents may differ they will all need each other to traverse these ancient, crumbling remains and survive against whatever guardians remain.

Random Love
Through some freak occurrence several adventurers are pulled from all corners of the world and/or planes to one spot: A timeless desert bathed in eternal moonlight. Time moves slow here. Food is less than scarce and there is tremendous danger in the unknown. Though strangers, this group will have no choice but to rely on each other to navigate their way to civilization.

Wide open, right? There are few certainties in all of this...but I can state some strong preferences.

Wilderness. I'm not one for typical, dirty, crowded cities. I've lived in one all my life. Let us travel through forests, small hamlets, moonlit deserts with white sands, and ancient ruins overtaken by nature.

I don't have to run this as I'm happier being a simple player, but I would not object if asked to do so...in such case, I'm always happy to receive ideas and helping hands. I'm looking for four to six people and preferably a mix of female and intersexed characters for the cast. I don't care what the gender of the authors are...so long as the writing is good and believable.

Alignments and Motivations. Can be anywhere on the spectrum. All I ask...all we'll need is enough love or caring between the characters so that they would never betray each other. This is about a cast that needs and grows to love (or lust for) each other. Check the treachery at the door. Sure, the succubus is evil and finds souls to be delicious...but what if she's really fond of her partners? Can't break one's toys if they wanna keep playing with them right? 

Another is believability. If a character is of a species that would be hunted or feared, don't expect people to react to them as if they are ordinary. A werewolf in bestial form can't just walk into a bar and not expect people to panic and flee...brave adventurers to question it or attempt to destroy it.

Now if these sorts of ideas are already in play elsewhere (and I simply haven't found them yet. I'm new!), please point the way! If they aren't and any of these are interesting to you, let me know! Hope to hear from ya'll!

Silk

Sounds like a nice idea, :D count me in if you do not mind my less than great writing quantity, (1-5 paragraphs depends what there is to write about, if not scratch me off ill understand. :) )

Lunaris

While I'll admit to being a grammar-nazi when it comes to the actual roleplaying, I don't really care about post length. I vote substance over length and understand that people can't offer a page in response to every little thing. Heck, sometimes, conversations and interactions should be casual! I'm like you in that my post size generally depends on what I'm responding to.

I...do, however have some things I never like to see in an RP post:

No lazy grammar (In chatting and PMs? I don't really care. But people had better capitalize their I's and such when it comes to the story! *cracks whip*)
Emotes (Must stay out of RP posts at all costs)
Tastelessness (Being too profane or too direct in descriptions can really cheapen an experience. But careful moderation can actually add a little spice!)

That said, please feel free to send me samples of your treats, Silk! Not for judgement...but because I'm totally curious and like to know what I'm getting into! Thanks for poking this thread!

Aravol

Sounds like a wonderful, fun time for all, so count me in on this; I'm a sucker for a good old fantasy adventure. I only have to ask, are we going to be playing free-form or a system?

Nirinian

You know, I might just try this one as a group :)
Sorry about lying to all you guys, read about it here.

Insanitosis

I am in.
I would love to lend my hand to this type of rp.

High fantasy always gets me so excited, and I love conjuring new types of characters for the sort. I generally play more experianced characters, perhaps a sort of mentor in the first one, ne? I also have many others.

I type 4-8 paragraphs depending on what is provided for me

Lunaris

Well...as I've said, this was me posting ideas for potential good times, and while I am capable of putting things together, I'd be glad to let an experienced person take the reigns of the RP. Free-form? Rules? While I'm not fond of *all* rules, I have done quasi-freeform and full out freeform. This doesn't seem like a place where rules would be needed to moderate people and Sues and Stus in check, so I think Freeform would be preferable. Fun over numbers!

And yay Nirinian! :D

At some point, I might ask for a general vote on which ideas appeal to you all the most. For now, I'm curious as to what sorts of characters you would try. Both for myself and for the other player's sakes. What one person goes with can help determine the next's decision.

Personally, I have a tendency towards RPing characters with a little worldliness as well.

Insanitosis

Worldliness helps, new adventurers tend not to be as grizzled or dark as I prefer my characters.

Well, what is a Mercenary without a reputation?
a hack...

Aravol

I'm normally prone to darker character backgrounds, so my characters tend to be rather worldly, despite attitudes that seem more naive. On the other side, I like character development, so I some of my characters start out naive, only to become more experienced in  time.

Lunaris

It's starting to seem like one of the ideas suited to a more seasoned group may work better for you. Either that...or a new idea completely...

That of Veteran Adventures taking out a few inexperienced folk to prepare them for the rigors of the world. Or...perhaps they were all hired by an employer to assist veteran explorers or something. Somebody's gotta carry the loot, food, and drink, right? Maybe a tag-a-long cook is learning the ropes from those they admire? A herbalist seeks mentoring from a druid? A young blacksmith wants to do more than make and polish swords...she wants to *use* her works?

Insanitosis

I am open to practically anything, however the first one works best for me. I do like playing seasoned warriors, but I can also play a newbie...

Aravol

Sometimes, you get to choose who you're stuck with. Sometimes, you get to choose among a million others, and you get to strike the dirt road with those just as skilled as you are.
Sometimes Fate, though, is far more fickle, and throws you together with greenhorned, naive fellows. Sometimes, you're the one among far more experienced peers, keeping up by special gift, unearthly talent, or sheer luck until you unerringly earn the trust and loyalty from those around you.

That's the kind of picture I get when we start mixing worldly characters with naive ones. Besides, if there is to be bonding between the characters, what better way than to be forced into competition, leaning more about each other simply because your first impression is turned totally on its head?

Lunaris

I hear you both on this! Hmm...and it already seems that we have at least 4-5 people to go with an idea, too (counting myself). Could be quite fun, no matter what we go with. Now we just need to toss around some concepts.

Lunaris

Meep! Time for me to head to work, all. Feel free to converse with each other about this and if there are any questions, suggestions, etc., I'll be back to address them in the morning. Night everyone!

Insanitosis

Well, I like the first idea best as I said, I even have a character for it, then again I have a character for practically any scenario XD

Silk

Well i've come up with a reasonable idea for my character, if you need a hand with concepts i'm sure i can work something out as well :)

Nirinian

I'm still thinking what kind of character I will use. I'm thinking of using a pleasure golem, but I'm going to use that in another roleplay, too..

Muse

Do you folks have a posting rate in mind?   

If the pace isn't too grueling, I'd have fun participating.  And if you folks wouldn't mind a simple system, preferably but not nessicarily Earthdawn, I could even GM it. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Lunaris

A posting rate... Hmm... I won't ask daily because I'm not even sure I can do that (I work looong, tiring hours during the weekends). I think it's best to see how comfortable everyone is and ask what they can actually handle first. Me? I think a minimum of 4 posts a week would be fine. But the sky is the limit if people wish to post more.

If you've got concepts, share em with us! Tell us about them! That way, we can keep things diverse and interesting.

I'll even ask the reverse. What do you hope to encounter in the other characters?

Earthfall? Nay. I've never heard of it until now and I just got into Pathfinder and am still absorbed into it. To accomodate all, it may be best to generalize the setting. If you wish to GM things, that's great. I'm still willing to help in such case. I fancy myself to be quite skilled with painting the environment with flowing descriptions so if that's ever needed, tickle me!

Silk

I cannot really help with the layout, but im fairly good with coming up with plot twists and ideas, :) since this is a mostly female based group im going to use something i wanted too for a while and have my character have male phobia. :D

Nirinian

Hmm, I might want to play a male character, but if Silk doesn't want me to..

Silk

Play a male if you want :D its just ill allways be on the other side of the camp to you ^_^

Lunaris

*chuckles* My own characters tend to be lesbian as well...but not man-phobic... Though androgynous men like those Visual Kei artists are...oddly attractive for some reason. Oh. Wait. Because they can look like women sometimes. :p

Insanitosis

Quote from: Silk on January 02, 2009, 11:14:58 AM
I cannot really help with the layout, but im fairly good with coming up with plot twists and ideas, :) since this is a mostly female based group im going to use something i wanted too for a while and have my character have male phobia. :D
Aww, No love for Sani

Oh well, I can always play a more androgynous character too, I am fairly good at it, my young "priest" (warlock) fits that description. He has issues....

Nirinian

I can be a scholar, one that can keep, or try to keep, Insanitosis' character in check, trying to gain the favour of the other companions, especially Silk's of course.