News:

Main Menu

Dominate vs Dominant

Started by Artairus Dent, November 21, 2012, 11:44:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artairus Dent

So, I've never been much of a language hawk.  You know, the kind of person who says 'it isn't comprised of, it is comprises'.

However, one word keeps grabbing me on the boards.

Dominate

Dominate is a verb.  You dominate someone.

However, I'm pretty sure it isn't an adjective.

Yet, I keep seeing threads that read, 'F seeking Dominate M' or something along those lines.

Like I say, I'm not an aggressive grammar cop, but when I see 'seeking Dominate Male' I'm pretty sure it will be someone I'm not keen on playing with.

Just had to vent/talk about.

Moraline

It's just a typo/misspell on their part. I wouldn't make a big deal out of it.

For many, when they pronounce the word "Dominant" they don't make the 2nd "n" sound - so it comes out to them as "dom-i-net" so then end up spelling it with an improper spelling.

Artairus Dent

Yeah, it is really prevalent though.  It really seems like it might be sort of morphing into an accepted usage. 

Beguile's Mistress

Granted it could be a typo or a result of mispronunciation of a word and not many people even notice or care.  I hope it doesn't become accepted usage, however.

On the other hand it's that apparent lack of concern that can lose a member a good writing partner on the first glance.  There are many who never look beyond the title if it doesn't grab them or if it deflects their interest.

It would be unfortunate to miss out because of that.

Shjade

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on November 21, 2012, 12:08:04 PM
On the other hand it's that apparent lack of concern that can lose a member a good writing partner on the first glance.  There are many who never look beyond the title if it doesn't grab them or if it deflects their interest.

Exactly this. In a chat environment, hey, typos happen and you just kinda have to learn to roll with it if you're spelling-conscious.

On a forum, you post something and it's there forever. That you apparently never bothered to look over your post for errors at any point after the fact and fix it says as much as the typo itself. Particularly the big bold-letters title.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Torch

Quote from: Shjade on November 22, 2012, 04:55:22 PM
That you apparently never bothered to look over your post for errors at any point after the fact and fix it says as much as the typo itself. Particularly the big bold-letters title.

This.

If an author has such a lack of attention to detail just in a search thread, I can only imagine what may occur in the story itself. If I were searching for a co-author, that kind of sloppiness would turn me right off.
"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running."  Sir Roger Bannister

Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole chicken.

On's and Off's

Naiah

Maybe they don't know the difference because english isn't their first language?

Deamonbane

English isn't my first language, but that sort of hammers home the point that I have to spell correctly... as if I had to prove something... I have noticed similar mistakes like 'you are bias' instead of 'You are Biased', and you just learn to flow with it, and make sure you don't make similar mistakes...
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Saerrael

English isn't my first language, either. And, I'm sorry, but I see 'mistakes' like these more often in writing of those who's first language is English. Which would make it laziness. Or down right not caring, as has been noted before.

Naiah

I don't know if its always laziness, granted it is with some, and you can usually tell as they will have tons of other mistakes, but sometimes it is just a missed spelling mistake. *shrugs* I would be quite upset if I missed one and someone passed me over because of it though :/

Saerrael

Quote from: Naiah on November 22, 2012, 06:33:33 PM
I don't know if its always laziness, granted it is with some, and you can usually tell as they will have tons of other mistakes, but sometimes it is just a missed spelling mistake. *shrugs* I would be quite upset if I missed one and someone passed me over because of it though :/

True, and good points. But, be honest. Would you leave such a mistake in the title of your advertisement? It's like selling your car and saying it has a perfectly running motar.

Naiah

I wouldn't IF I a) saw it and b) knew how to change the title once I had posted the thread :P

Saerrael

Quote from: Naiah on November 22, 2012, 06:39:05 PM
I wouldn't IF I a) saw it and b) knew how to change the title once I had posted the thread :P

a) proof reading catches a lot of errors. Not sure of something, google it. And that doesn't just go for us non-natives.
b) the modify button on your opening post also makes you able to change your title.

The problems begin at that point in time where people just don't care about proof reading, asking and looking around.

Naiah

I can proof read a post three times and still miss something :P But thanks for the tip on the modify! :D

But to be fair, I do find it annoying when people don't even spellcheck, its just the idea of being passed over because you make spelling mistakes that concerns me :(

Saerrael

Quote from: Naiah on November 22, 2012, 06:47:26 PM
I can proof read a post three times and still miss something :P But thanks for the tip on the modify! :D

But to be fair, I do find it annoying when people don't even spellcheck, its just the idea of being passed over because you make spelling mistakes that concerns me :(

Well, we're all learning. Hell, I'm not saying I'm perfect, I comma-splice like a mad man and only just about scratched the mysterious of 'then' and 'than', but at least I try and it upsets me when I see a native not able to differentiate between 'your' and 'you're', a verb and an adjective and things such as thus. Non-natives can't really hide behind the whole 'well, it's not my first language...' either. Not on an English, literary site. Not if they take themselves seriously.

Oh, good God, I'm babbling. Excuse me. Somewhat of a spelling nazi, here. *coughs*

Naiah

*Pushes out a pouty lip* So you would pass me over if I wanted to be a dominate :P

Saerrael

Torch puts it very well right here;

Quote from: Torch on November 22, 2012, 05:21:26 PM
If an author has such a lack of attention to detail just in a search thread, I can only imagine what may occur in the story itself. If I were searching for a co-author, that kind of sloppiness would turn me right off.

Naiah

But what if it was an honest missed mistake!?  :-[

Saerrael

You only have words here to seduce your target, Naiah. Mistakes in words is like wearing your panties over your pants in Real Life.

Naiah

Haven't had any complaints so far, and that's WITH spelling mistakes ;)

But honestly, I don't think I would want to RP with someone that was that hellbent on spelling, it would freak me out to no end and have me worrying more about not making any mistakes and not enjoying the RP. I am human, I make mistakes that even proof reading and the spell checker doesn't get.

But I also do not want to RP with someone who never uses the spellchecker and where you have to guess every second word. Meh..

Kythia

Meh, neither a prescriptivist nor a descriptivist be. 

I suspect I'm gonna clash with some people but for my point of view so long as I know what is meant it bothers me not.  Now that I sit down and think of it, yeah dominate isn't an adjective.  I think I use it as one in speech - and I am a native English speaker - but this thread has poisoned my mind and I can't say it naturally at the moment.  I've certainly never noticed it and noticed it was wrong in thread titles until this pointed it out to me.  But if everyone knows what is meant then I personally don't mind it.  Common usage is how people use words commonly.

Moraline

• Dyslexia  (Varies wildly in degrees of severity)
  • English not first language (For some it's very difficult to type in English - Not everyone is so advanced. Some even use translators that mess up all the time.
  • Not everyone knows how to change a subject title (on Many forums it's not possible so they don't even think to look here.)
  • Simple human error (...because I can pick through most of the posts in this topic and find mistakes in them.)
  • Not everyone is as well educated as some others. They maybe remarkably creative people but still make little mistakes because they don't have the education to make up for it. (A word like Dominate doesn't get picked up by spell checkers)

I'm sure many others could come up with things to add to this list.

I don't judge people harshly on simple mistakes. I choose to educate them and assist when necessary. Most of the time I simply overlook it and try to look at the people as a whole while accepting it might have been a single mistake.

This subject just feels harsh to me. People make mistakes. Why the need to pick on them for it?

*EDIT*  PS: I'm dyslexic so this topic often infuriates me on a personal level.

Endorphin

Quote from: Torch on November 22, 2012, 05:21:26 PM

I think this is a very good point. Someone who is eloquent and expresses things clearly in their writing is more likely convey their view or intention better and, therefore, produce content that is more enjoyable to read. I'm quite forgiving with errors, but I certainly appreciate someone who can express themself in an argument I'm trying to understand or a storyline I want to be deeply immersed in.
"The imagination is the spur of delights... all depends upon it, it is the mainspring of everything; now, is it not by means of the imagination one knows joy? Is it not of the imagination that the sharpest pleasures arise?" - Marquis de Sade

Madriv

Quote from: Artairus Dent on November 21, 2012, 11:44:20 AMHowever, one word keeps grabbing me on the boards.

Dominate

I feel your pain, AD. This misuse is bound to turn up anywhere there's a BDSM discussion.

Every time I see it, I picture a dalek in fetish gear. Then at least I get a chuckle.  ;)

Suiko

I would let it slide if it's in the main post since it is a word and wouldn't be picked up by a spellcheck,  but in a title I would always make sure that it's right since that's the first thing anyone sees. Its the thing people see first and it needs to draw them in; if there's a mistake right away then it doesn't inspire much confidence.
- Main M/M Requests -
- Other M/M Prompts -
- A/As -
- O/Os -

- Current Status: Did someone say Dragon's Dogma 2? -