Mass Effect 3!! (Warning. Spoilers inside!)

Started by Wyrd, January 13, 2011, 08:59:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wyrd

If the human reaper was ment to open up the mass relay to let in the fleet, then why not try and make him into a giant ship, just like the others? I hope we get an insight as for the real purpose for this thing in ME 3.

(I've also never read any of lovcrafts work. So i'm holding out for an actual reason other then "Thats just what they do")
Ragtime Dandies!

Hemingway

Uh ... yeah, spoilers. Wouldn't it be easier to mark the thread with spoilers? I mean, honestly ...

The Collectors struck me as very ... tragic. Forced to do the Reapers' bidding by creating new Reapers, all that. Basically, desperately trying to make up for their own "failure", in a twisted way.

I never really got the impression the human Reaper plan was something on the official Reaper agenda, more like the actions of Harbinger using the Collectors. But that's just me. Either way, it does seem they want to make a human Reaper, and that the timing of such a creation doesn't really matter. Using it to attack the Citadel, like Sovereign tried before, doesn't seem unlikely, but it seems unlikely such a plan would work a second time. In the end, it's not something that bothers me a lot, so if there's no official explanation ... which I don't see as that unlikely, then ... well, hey, I have my own theories, and we can be happy not knowing and all that.

As for the form ... well, like I said, tragic Collectors and all that. I saw that basically as an expression of ... well, the Collectors worshipping humans, almost. They were deemed unworthy, but the humans are worthy, so in some twisted way, they worship them.

Wyrd

Quote from: Hemingway on January 18, 2011, 04:11:53 PM
Uh ... yeah, spoilers. Wouldn't it be easier to mark the thread with spoilers? I mean, honestly ...

I was expecting more talk on peoples hopes and predictions for ME 3 more then all the talk of ME 2's plot hole filled story. But yes, it seems better to to that, I mean, honestly...

As for the human reaper an collectors. I don't really think the collectors are even sapant really, just mindless puppets. Tools if anything for the reapers to keep an eye on the galaxy
Ragtime Dandies!

Hemingway

We are talking about that, aren't we? ;)

Hmm. That seems unlikely to me. But ... yeah, that's just me.

Solstice

Your mileage may vary, but... My take on the human Reaper, well, looking like a human, was that it was eventually going to wind up looking like a giant space squid like all the rest, and that the human form was only present (or perhaps just only visible) during construction. All other Reapers we've seen have been much, much bigger. My impression is that the humanoid form was going to wind up being the Reaper's 'core', perhaps like the boss of the Derelict Reaper zone.

As for it being 'just what they do', it doesn't seem we'll get a more rational explanation than that. We may, but, at several points throughout both games, it's been stated that trying to psychoanalyze the Reapers is pointless, as they have completely different mentalities than any form of organic life.

They also, apparently, find being worshiped to be insulting.
Apoloies & Absences - Updated 11/16/2014 - Around and available? Hopefully?

Wyrd

Quote from: Hemingway on January 18, 2011, 04:36:35 PM
We are talking about that, aren't we? ;)

Hmm. That seems unlikely to me. But ... yeah, that's just me.

How is that unlikely? Their far from what they may have used to be. Their just big mindless bugs.

@Solstice.

I've been running that theory of the human reaper through my mind a bit lately too. It seems like it would be the most logical reason for the whole thing. I could have still done with out it, though. But that's the way it is.
Ragtime Dandies!

Hemingway

Quote from: Wyrd on January 18, 2011, 05:46:06 PM
How is that unlikely? Their far from what they may have used to be. Their just big mindless bugs.

Have you read the comic, Redemption?

Wyrd

I can't find them any where, I only have the first one. Plus, I should not have to go out and buy some comic to get a full understanding of whats going on. Damn you Bioware!!
Ragtime Dandies!

Hemingway

Well, I won't spoil anything major ... but the Collectors that appear in it ( it takes place between ME1 and 2, while people are after Shepard's body ) ... are quite verbose. Not exactly mindless drones.

Wyrd

Why such collecters were not potrayed in ME 2 is odd. Then again, alot of things in Me 2 were odd. I really hope I get a hold of these comics some where As well as the Illiusive man comic thats out now.
Ragtime Dandies!

CmdrRenegade

SPOILERS TO FOLLOW
The verbosity is usually just Harbinger ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL as it often and annoyingly tends to do.  And on that note...

IAMHARBINGER - ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL
"Every creative act is open war against The Way It Is."-Tycho Brahe of Penny Arcade

I'm CmdrRenegade and these are my Ons and Offs and Apologies and Abcenses on Elliquiy.

Wyrd

Ragtime Dandies!

CmdrRenegade

All jokes aside, I own all 4 issues of Redemption.  It's already been released in trade paperback.  I'll try not to spoil anything, but to understand one of the pieces of DLC better, you should probably read it.
"Every creative act is open war against The Way It Is."-Tycho Brahe of Penny Arcade

I'm CmdrRenegade and these are my Ons and Offs and Apologies and Abcenses on Elliquiy.

Wyrd

I'm gonna head to the comic store this week end. I'm hoping to get Redemption and Evolution.
Ragtime Dandies!

Hemingway

Quote from: CmdrRenegade on January 18, 2011, 08:03:33 PM
SPOILERS TO FOLLOW
The verbosity is usually just Harbinger ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL as it often and annoyingly tends to do.  And on that note...

Massive comic spoilers to follow! Avert your eyes!

At the end of Redemption, both the Collector General and a drone are present. Both speak. The General does his usual one-liner stuff, which may be Harbinger. The drone does speak more eloquently, however. More naturally. My money is on, if anything, Harbinger controlling the General, who in turn can control the others, who are otherwise independent, thinking creatures.

Inkidu

As far as I'm concerned if it's not in the game it's not real. :)
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

CmdrRenegade

Quote from: Inkidu on January 20, 2011, 06:03:27 PM
As far as I'm concerned if it's not in the game it's not real. :)

I'm not sure if you're being serious or not.  The comics, novels, and the iOS game with Jacob are there to give background.  And they ARE canon.  Unlike Lucas who just puts on stamps where he feels like it, these things are all being written by the very same people who wrote the script and back story for the games such as Drew Karpyshan. 

Wyrd

I agree. Mass Effect is so much more then just a game. The comics and continuing story in the novels make it feel spacial. Even though I have yet to read the comics, I can still respect and acknowledge that their is canon facts in them.
Ragtime Dandies!

Inkidu

Quote from: CmdrRenegade on January 20, 2011, 09:00:30 PM
I'm not sure if you're being serious or not.  The comics, novels, and the iOS game with Jacob are there to give background.  And they ARE canon.  Unlike Lucas who just puts on stamps where he feels like it, these things are all being written by the very same people who wrote the script and back story for the games such as Drew Karpyshan.
Don't care. While all that stuff is fine and dandy. I didn't buy Mass Effect to read a book. I bought it to play a video game. If they want to offer expanded story lines or whatnot for money-making purposes that's fine. I just want the video game and that's all that's important.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Cruxy

Wyrd

Ragtime Dandies!

Wyrd

Quote from: Inkidu on January 21, 2011, 06:12:38 PM
Don't care. While all that stuff is fine and dandy. I didn't buy Mass Effect to read a book. I bought it to play a video game. If they want to offer expanded story lines or whatnot for money-making purposes that's fine. I just want the video game and that's all that's important.

I'm not a real bigt gamer, but I do like some stuff that Bioware has puy out. Mass Effect never felt like a normal game to me. When I first played Me it was like the first time I watched Star Wars.
Ragtime Dandies!

Hemingway

Quote from: Wyrd on January 21, 2011, 10:47:57 PM
I'm not a real bigt gamer, but I do like some stuff that Bioware has puy out. Mass Effect never felt like a normal game to me. When I first played Me it was like the first time I watched Star Wars.

Exactly how I felt. It really felt like the Star Wars of my generation, so to speak.

CmdrRenegade

Funny you two should say that.  For me, it's pretty much taken the place of Star Wars. 

Xanatos

Star Wars is to epic and too timeless to be brought down by Mass Effect. Don't get me wrong, I love Mass Effect, but it still cannot compare to the simplicity/yet complex nature of Star Wars: movies and Expanded Universe. Star Wars is so huge, so monolithic, it dwarfs the depth that Mass Effect has. Besides, Star Wars has had 40+ years to grow. Perhaps Mass Effect will grow in the same manner, but only time will tell.

On a different note, I have been considering buying the Mass Effect comics. Does anyone know where to begin? Comic's don't make themselves easy to understand when it comes to where things begin or end. Are there graphic novels preferably, to make things easier?