Salvation Run (A Supervillain game interest thread.)

Started by Darkcide, May 28, 2012, 09:32:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darkcide

Salvation Run was a DC miniseries that was a lead in to Final Crisis. It concerned the government getting so fed up with the supervillains of the planet after a number of circumstances including Black Adam's destruction of an entire nation and The Rogues murdering the Flash. They managed to round up all of main metahuman villains in the country and in some cases from other parts of the globe and deported them to a planet that was supposed to be safe. They were allowed to keep their weapons, their powers and their costumes but untimely left to fend for themselves as it had reached that point. The planet wasn't near as safe as the villains were told that the planet would be and there winds up being a power divide as they work to survive because I mean come on. They're terrible people, and in many cases? They have severe psychological issues.

I was rereading the series for a game I run offline, and thought that it might be fun to try a game inspired by Salvation Run.

What I'm Looking For:
-Original Characters, no playing as existing villains. You can play as a legacy character, because in some cases? You just have them. There have been several Cheetahs. Original characters, if you are inspired by an existing villain? That is perfectly acceptable.
-No godly characters. It is just really unbalanced, especially since the game is going to be freeform. No Darkseid, Thanos, Molecule Man or Apocalypse type characters. Regardless of the concept you choose? Basically the superheroes have been able to best you no matter how terrible the things you've done and the government was able to arrest you. Nobody is going to be the baddest of the bad, because realistically? There is always something bigger and someone like Darkseid? Doesn't get locked up in Earthly prisons or deported anywhere.
-I don't have a player cap because every player? Is going to start off the same. Being boom tubed onto the planet. There is a plot, but I'm leaving it very open to what the players want to do and the choices that they make. It is not rigid at all, and the pcs can either decide to operate as one large group or as splinter groups.
-DC and Marvel continuity are both free to draw from. The universe? Is an amalgamation.
-As far as what you choose for a concept? You're free to be a serial killer like Sabretooth, a misunderstood thief like Catwoman, a megalomaniac like Doom, a terrorist like Ras Al Ghul, a mercenary like Deathstroke, a rapist like Dr. Light or a activist who goes about their goals using terrible means not unlike Poison Ivy or any number of concepts.

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=141993.0

Neysha

I'm formally expressing my interest in this concept! Hopefully it takes off!
My Request Thread
Ons & Offs/Role-Plays Current and Past
FemDex: Index of Fictional Women
F-List Profiles: Constance Carrington, Damashi, SCP6969
Prepare For The Next Eight Years
Find me on Discord at: mnblend6567
Credit for Avatar goes to "LoveandSqualor" on Deviant Art. (and Hayley Williams)

Blobbe

Colour me provisionally interested, but dependant on what section it's going to go in.

Darkcide

That'd depend on the players, I don't know how grisly people would want to get with their concepts. Supervillains are a lot nastier nowadays in comparison to the silver age.

Elias

Blobbe

"Nastier" and "more modern" does not mean "better"

Just saying

Darkcide

Here is something that might be handy, a quick little archetype guide for supervillains.  A lot of villains do overlap between categories and there are more than just these ones here.

Assassin-Basically people who kill for a living. They tend to not have high levels of power, but they're usually very skilled and have a lot of connections in the villain world because they've either worked for other villains against them in the pursuit of jobs or whatever the case might be.
Examples: Chesire, Bullseye, Deadshot, Deathstroke

Conqueror-These are usually the extremely big names. They are the types who want to rule the world and have hired out other villains. They tend to have a singular archnemesis who they fixate on and have huge egos. Before being deported? They had a lot of power. Whether it was owning a multinational corporation or being monarch of a nation like in Doom's case.
Examples: Doctor Doom, Vandal Savage, Kang, Lex Luthor, Mongul

Crime Boss-Somewhat like the conquerors, but at a more small scale. They rule over a criminal organization, in some cases? Many of them. They don't want to rule the world, but they are focused on profit.
Examples: Kingpin, Crimson Cowl, Count Nefaria, Silvermane, Carmine Falcone

Cult Leader-Belief is a huge thing with these people, they head cults that are slavishly loyal to them and willing to throw their lives on the line for their leaders. Cults fluctuate in size, but it is important that they have fanatics who were willing to die for them before being deported.
Examples: Kobra, Brother Blood, the Triune Understanding, Ra's Al Ghul

Dark Mirror-Very similar to the heroes they oppose, but they differ greatly in personality and while they may have similar looks, powers and skills? Are a twisted inversion of the hero.
Examples: Venom, Abomination, General Zod, Wrath

Dominator or Mentalist-They can run the whole spectrum of villains, however they focus on using their abilities to make people do things they don't want to do. Whether it is on the high end scale like Starro or more personal and twisted like Purple Man.
Examples: Controller, Maxwell Lord, Mister Mind, Purple Man, Starro

Fallen Hero-A former hero who in their line of work has somehow been corrupted and is now a villain for whatever reasons. This can also include love interests or close supporting characters for heroes who have lost their way.
Examples: Maestro, Monarch, Sinestro, Star Sapphire

Gladiator-They seek to test themselves against the heroes or a hero, this is their primary motivation and they're usually excellent combatants who base their lives around their skills in fighting. They work as assassins sometimes, but usually in the hopes of facing a worthy opponent and they can even ally with heroes if it suits their needs.
Examples: Battle-Beast, Kraven, Lady Shiva

Heir to higher power-This category is dicey because the power level might need to be brought down for these sort of characters, but they typically serve extradimensional beings who were responsible for giving them power.
Examples: Rasputin, Modred the Mystic, Johnny Sorrow

Mastermind-Flirt that line between a conqueror and a crime boss.
Examples: Baron von Strucker, Viper, Baron Zemo

Monstrosity-Artificial creature usually created by Twisted Genius or some tragic accident
Examples: Modok, the Awesome Android

Nihilist-People who want to destroy the world as opposed to ruling it. Power levels would need to be toned down in this category.
Examples: Thanos, Chthon, Doomsday

Psychopath-Insanity is the core here, and from there? It can go off in any number of directions from a serial killer to a someone along the lines of the Trickster.
Examples: The Joker, Murmur, Carnage

Supernatural Being-Without magic or the stipulation of serving a higher power? Those with supernatural abilities? Fall under this category.
Examples: Dracula, Werewolf by Night

Supremacist-The Supremacist believes in a particular cause that is superior to all others.
Examples: Brainiac, Gorilla Grodd, Magneto, Ultron, The Red Skull

Temptress-Characters who use their sexuality to further their ends, and seduces others to achieve their goals.
Examples: Enchantress, Poison Ivy, White Queen

Theme Villain-There is a theme to their crimes, as well as their gadgets all of it is fixed around something. They're usually suffering from OCD.
Example: Mirror Master, Toyman, Two Face, Riddler

Thief-Though they may battle heroes? They are focused on stealing things that belong to them and in several cases may actually be antiheroes.
Example: Catwoman, Shadowthief, Carmen Santiago, Fantomex

Twisted Genius-Focused on using their intellect on a singular goal or proving their mental superiority to any and all who cross their paths.
Examples: Maximus, Arnim Zola, Mr. Freeze

Warlock-Someone with magical abilities who uses them in the service of crime. They are usually opposed by sorcerers who are more benevolent in their nature.
Examples: Felix Faust, Mordru, Baron Mordo, Kulan Gath

JerichoMyers

I'd be game for Twisted Genius/Psychopath character.

Arioch

Neysha

I might just go for a superpowered Thug or Professional ala Shocker style.
My Request Thread
Credit for Avatar goes to "LoveandSqualor" on Deviant Art. (and Hayley Williams)

JerichoMyers

Quote from: Neysha on May 30, 2012, 06:57:28 PM
I might just go for a superpowered Thug or Professional ala Shocker style.
My character could always use a nice lab assistant to aid in his twisted science experiments. Though, I'm going to need a resume and three references of past employers. Don't want to be hiring any slackers here. Hehe

Elias

Darkcide

I am definitely open to having more people, but here is the template I'm thinking of as far as the characters go. As far as the powers? I'm gonna base the charting off of what Marvel uses for their characters. Basically no extra dimensional or cosmic entity level characters will be allowed because they're just not balanced. This means characters like Silver Surfer, Thanos, Darkseid, Mephisto, or anyone with infinite ability. As powerful as the character I made might seem? He's based off of Captain Marvel-Black Adam and has their capabilities and powers and the like. That'd be the upper end with Thor, Superman, and Wonder Woman.

Intelligence:
1. Slow/Impaired
2. Normal
3. Learned. Captain America, Hawkeye, She Hulk, Nick Fury.
4. Gifted. Dr. Strange, Spiderman, Taskmaster, Dr. Fate.
5. Genius. Black Panther, Professor X, Ted Kord, Loki.
6. Super Genius-This is the cap. Mr. Fantastic, Ironman, Mr. Terrific, Luthor, Batman and Dr. Banner.
7. Omniscient

Strength: Strength is an odd one because when you get to 7? There is a lot of varying degrees. For the sake of simplicity? We will say there are beings stronger than 7, like the extradimensional beings. The max is a solid 7 meaning as strong as Superman and the like, it doesn't mean you can dominate him in a fight or anything but you could stalemate him if he doesn't go all out.

1. Weak: cannot lift own body weight
2. Normal: able to lift own body weight
3. Peak human: able to lift twice own body weight. Batman, Daredevil, Captain America.
4. Superhuman: 800 lbs-25 ton range. Spider Man, Deathstroke, Luke Cage, Wolverine.
5. Superhuman: 25-75 ton range. Vision, Sif, Ms. Marvel, Blue Devil.
6. Superhuman: 75-100 ton range. Thing, Namor, Iron Man, Martian Manhunter.
7. Incalculable: in excess of 100 tons. Hulk, Thor, Superman, Captain Marvel.

Speed:
1. Below normal
2. Normal
3. Superhuman: peak range: 700 MPH. Think Spiderman, Hulk, Storm and Captain America.
4. Speed of sound: Mach-1. Think Banshee, Rogue, and most flyers who self propel without that extra kick.
5. Supersonic: Mach-2 through Orbital Velocity. Think Quicksilver, Ms. Marvel, Iron Man, Human Torch.
6. Speed of light: 186,000 miles per second. This is the cap unless you teleport. Think the Flash Northstar, and Graviton.
7. Warp speed: transcending light speed. This is going to be capped to all but teleporters and even then? teleporters will need to put a / between their speed when not teleporting and the 7.

Durability This is like strength, it fluctuates. Once you get into 7? There are degrees. Nothing about a solid 7 is allowed because then? You're going into Blackheart or Onslaught levels.
1. Weak
2. Normal
3. Enhanced. Spiderman, Black Panther, Captain America, Psylocke, Bullseye.
4. Regenerative. Wolverine, Deathstroke, Deadpool, Beast, Green Goblin.
5. Bulletproof. Luke Cage, Carnage, Venom.
6. Superhuman. Thor, Ironman, She Hulk, Namor, Wonder Woman.
7. Virtually indestructible. Superman, Hulk, Captain Marvel, Juggernaut, Nova.

Energy Projection
1. None. The average human.
2. Ability to discharge energy on contact. Silver Samurai, and Marduk.
3. Short range, short duration, single energy type. Namor, Wonder Man, Gambit, Iron Fist
4. Medium range, duration, single energy type. Bishop, M, Deathlok.
5. Long range, long duration, single energy type. Cyclops, Storm, Human Torch, Psylocke, and Chamber.
6. Able to discharge multiple forms of energy. Dr. Strange, Ironman, Dr. Doom, Scarlet Witch, Thor, Magneto, Superman, Captain Atom This is the cap for this category.
7. Virtually unlimited command of all forms of energy.  Graviton, Vulcan, Mephisto.

Fighting skills
1. Poor
2. Normal
3. Some training Black Cat, Invisible Woman, Green Goblin
4. Experienced fighter Spiderman, Luke Cage, Ms. Marvel, Spiderwoman, Gambit
5. Master of a single form of combat Silver Samurai, Black Panther, Daredevil, Bullseye, Nightwing, Black Canary, Catwoman.
6. Master of several forms of combat Captain America, Batman Deadpool, Iron Fist, Elektra, X-23.
7. Master of all forms of combat. To be a 7? It needs to be through powers. Whether you are extremely long lived, have photographic reflexes or you're able to draw in information through technological means at a superhuman rate. Wolverine, Taskmaster, Karate Kid, Shang Chi, Lady Shiva, Ares.

The Template

Real Name
Alias
Affiliation
Base Of Operations
Identity
Citizenship
Marital Status
Occupation
Education
Height
Weight
Eyes
Hair
Description
Origin
Powers
Skills
Crimes
Enemies

Alias: Godhand
Citizenship: Wakandan

Height: 6'4"
Weight: 280 lbs
Eyes: Brown
Hair: Black
Description: Godhand is a large individual both in height as well as build. He is notably light in complexion for a Wakandan, but it is only because he is half Wakandan. He has dark cold eyes, ritual markings along his arms when not in his transformed state and is decently attractive though he rarely smiles. When he is powered, he wears a mostly black bodysuit with a red lightning bolt down the center along with a matching short cape. (Doesn't look like Black Adam, but all of the Marvels wear similar costumes.)

Origin: Granted an assortment of abilities by a gathering of African Gods to serve as their champion.
Powers: Divine Empowerment grants him accelerated healing, a degree of clairvoyance, divine grace, eidetic memory, greatly heightened resistance and endurance, enhanced intellect, flight, enhanced speed, indomitable will, invulnerability, multilingualism, self-sustenance, heightened reflexes and stamina and greatly enhanced strength in the 100+ ton class as well as energy projection in the form of a powerful magically empowered lightning bolt upon yelling the word.
Intelligence-4
Strength-7
Speed-6
Durability-7
Energy Projection-4
Fighting Skills-4

Skills: Godhand is a fairly skilled combatant, especially for people in the 100+ ton strength class. He's able to outfight individuals like Superman and Captain Marvel, and is roughly on par with Thor having stalemated him in the past when neither was trying to outright cause mass destruction. He's also a skilled orator and leader.
Crimes: Mass Murder & Crimes Against Humanity, Deicide.
Major Enemies: Captain Marvel, Thor, Superman, The Avengers, The Marvel Family

History: Godhand is the younger adopted brother of Prince T'Challa, the Black Panther. He lived in his brother's shadow until the day he chanced upon The Rock of Ages by fate and was chosen as a champion to the african gods in the manner that Black Adam was favored by Egyptian gods and Captain Marvel by the Greek gods. He was given vast power and with it managed to usurp control of his home nation. He had a strained relationship with the world outside, but frequently operated as something of an antihero. He'd publicly kill criminals in Wakanda and many heroes didn't agree with his methods. Godhand kept mostly to Wakanda until the day his wife was murdered as part of an outside plot by individuals from Azania. His rage led to him virtually wiping the country off of the face of the earth single handedly before he was confronted by a gathering of heroes including Thor and the Marvel family. It was Superman and Thor who managed to best Godhand although he took several minor heroes down with him. Forced into his depowered form. He was heavily drugged and deported while uncounscious. His destruction of Azania was a huge factor in the choice to deport supervillains.

Elias

Alias: Wraith
Affiliation: The Forgotten
Base Of Operations:Caves in the black forest in Germany
Identity: Unknown
Citizenship: Uknown
Marital Status: Single
Education: Unknown
Height: 5'10
Weight: 140
Description: Half man, half shadow wraith seems to appear and disappear in the dark, when the light is shining on him a white male is seen covered in what looks like hundreds of bone colored markings which appear to glow, he is completely hairless with a wiry muscular frame.

Origin: A student of doctor strange he went in search of magic to aid his fellow man, always a dreamer he believed he would find what he was looking for instead he was tricked and used as a vessel for a dark god, however the ritual was interrupted and only a small portion of the demonic entity was placed inside him causing a split personality. The first is Splinter a sorcerer who believes in the good of man and has aided multiple heroes with magical dilemmas the other and more prominent is wraith leader of the assassins guild known as the forgotten a collection of homeless children brainwashed and trained in murder.

Powers: Shadow Manipulation, can make it extend and pierce stone and steel as well as move and attack enemies, an incredibly devilish personality however his worst crimes are caused not by him but his children as his other self is known to come out and stop him from anything truly heinous.
Intelligence: 4
Strength: 3
Speed:5 (Moves between shadows effortlessly semi teleportation)
Durability: Corporeal: 3 In shadow form: 6
Energy projection: 6
Fighting Skill: 5

Skills: Understands mind manipulation and common tactics of cult leaders, relies heavily on various assassination techniques and styles his shadows make this even easier.
Crimes: Murder, Assassination of political figures, More murder. Cult leader
Enemies: Fantastic Four, X-Men and Dr. Doom (Failed assassination attempt)

Darkcide

Obsidian's abilities kinda meets The Darkness. I like it, cool concept.

Neysha

Quote from: JerichoMyers on May 30, 2012, 09:28:43 PM
My character could always use a nice lab assistant to aid in his twisted science experiments. Though, I'm going to need a resume and three references of past employers. Don't want to be hiring any slackers here. Hehe

Well I'm nerdy enough that I'm open to a possible collaboration between our characters. I can tailor my bios history to reflect off yours after you post your character.
My Request Thread

Blobbe

As said; I'm interested but I want to know what section it'll be in before I commit/create a character

Neysha

Quote from: KaylaM on May 31, 2012, 07:07:11 AM
As said; I'm interested but I want to know what section it'll be in before I commit/create a character

I'm assuming you have an opinion on the matter? Perhaps one you'd like to share? :)
My Request Thread

Arioch

Elias, seems we were thinking of very similar character ideas.  I'll try and come up with something else.

Latooni Subota

Totally interested, and working on a gadgeteer, who will be sadly out of her depth after getting dropped onto a new world I think. XD
ONs and OFFs be here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=64984.0

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

Latooni Subota

Alias: Tabby Katt, Wi-Fi
Affiliation: Solo Thief
Base Of Operations: An old remodeled pre-WW2 bunker outside of New York.
Identity: Wi-Fi
Citizenship: American
Marital Status: Single
Education: High School Drop-Out
Height: 5'0"
Weight: 105 lbs.
Eyes: Brown
Hair: Brown

Description:
Tabby is a petite teenager, barely hitting 5'0", who definately doesn't look like she'd be a supervillain. Pale skin shows that she's no fan of the outdoors, and her body is only lightly curved and muscled. Her multicolored suit (Complete with bulletproof capability and temperature control) shows off what little curves she does have, hugging her modest hips and bust enough to give Tabby a little boost in physical pride. Her hair is short and messy, almost the exact same shade as her eyes. She is only rarely seen out of her nanoweave suit, utterly convinced that it's the only thing that'll keep her alive around all these superheroes and supervillains in this day and age.

Origin: Tabby is a mutant, in no uncertain terms. She doesn't have fur, she can't change size, she doesn't breathe fire . . but she's still a mutant. Once puberty hit her, those annoying math problems that gave her so much trouble suddenly became child's play. A subpar student beforehand, she suddenly found herself overflowing with unnatural intelligence, able to finish exams faster than she could physically write down the answers! Her overactive brain could even calculate the probability of various types of questions being put on quizzes, something that was extremely disconcerting to the young girl. And her teachers.

Finding herself now struggling through school in a completely different way, due to her overactive brain over-analyzing everything in sight, she slowly began to realize another gift. When she'd stare at the digital clock, bored out of her mind at having to wait through class, the clock would speed up. As she got older, this unnatural ability to change the times on digital clocks improved! . . and she realized that the ability was actually a psychic ability to rewrite computer programming, and control machines that relied on it. As computers and machines became more complex, her ability to manipulate them grew even stronger . . such as walking up to an ATM, telling the camera to turn off for a while, and having the ATM give her 500 dollars.

This sort of temptation grew and grew, as the increasingly bored girl finally decided to become a thief. Her first caper was using a brick to bash in a bank's door, the alarm system already shutdown, and simply walk through. The electronically controlled doors opened at her words, and let her walk right into the vault and leave with a duffelbag full of money. This money was used to  fund something that didn't bore her as much: Invention! If she'd given away all the things she'd invented to people, the world would be in a better position . . but she didn't. She kept her inventions to let her do more and more daring heists, until her eventual capture and . . 'deportation'.

A month ago, important data began disappearing from Wayne Enterprises databases, followed shortly by data from Stark Enterprises. Her boredom had lead to her trying to find cool things in big companies to play with. What she ended up with was all sorts of designs for interesting machines and weapons. Even Lexcorp wasn't spared her intrusions, and boy did she find some interesting things there. Unfortunately for her, when she attempted to hack into the Baxter Building, certain people were waiting for her. Iron Man, Batman, and the majority of the Fantastic Four expected something like this, and chased her up to the roof of the building. Despite her ability to wrest control of Tony Stark's suit away from him and attack the others with it, a combination of a gas pellet from Batman and a forcefield around her body from the Invisible Woman led to her being knocked out and captured.

She was deemed to be too much of a safety hazard, due to her ability to access any computer system just by being near it, and they worried about her eventually accessing classified SHIELD or Justice League data. Kept on a heavy dose of drugs, she was shipped off with the rest of the more well-known villains, just to be safe.

Powers: Wi-Fi's mutation has not only granted her hyper-intelligence, but also an ability to telepathically reach out and control advanced machines. Generally, anything more complex than the steam engine is something she can control, the more advanced the higher the level of control she has over it. Her nanomachine suit is the pinacle of the many things she's tried to invent over the last five years. It's bulletproof, temperature controlled, and she can create small-scale devices from it by temporarily sacrificing how much of her it covers. Embarassing, but useful.

Intelligence: 6 (While she is an amazingly skilled genius and inventor, she has . . difficulties with being able to focus on things, leading to her mostly being a minor villain.)
Strength: 1
Speed: 2
Durability: 5 (Her nanomachine suit is Bulletproof . . though her body can't handle the shock from sustained fire over time, as well as the suit can.)
Energy Projection: Up to 5. (Her nanomachines can be used to construct all manner of weapons . . though to get a weapon powerful enough to be Class 5, she essentially needs to strip herself of all her suit's protection to transform the entire thing into a railgun or gatling laser. This is something she has yet to do.)
Fighting Skills: 1 (She's a nerd, not a ninja!)

Skills: Wi-Fi is pretty much top-of-the-line when it comes to computer programming, mechanical engineering, and other academic pursuits. If she had stayed on a more moral path, Stark Enterprises would have scouted her. Unfortunately, the physical skills are beyond her, short of some basic gymnastics and dance (which she's surprisingly good at). She has good reflexes and is double jointed though!

Crimes: Grand Theft, Extortion, Trespassing.

Enemies: Tony Stark, Fantastic Four, Batman, Lex Luthor
ONs and OFFs be here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=64984.0

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

Elias

Quote from: Arioch on May 31, 2012, 12:12:01 PM
Elias, seems we were thinking of very similar character ideas.  I'll try and come up with something else.

Great minds think alike?

Arioch

Or we read the same kind of stuff.  A big difference was mine didn't manipulate shadows but traveled through them and was a female.

Sylia

Now this looks very good.. I think I'll make a character for this!