News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Dominion

Started by Yukina, March 11, 2014, 05:13:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yukina

I was wondering if anyone has ever played this wonderful deck-building game.

Ryven

Quote from: Yugishogun on March 11, 2014, 05:13:01 PM
I was wondering if anyone has ever played this wonderful deck-building game.

I have played it and enjoyed it.  If you like dominion, you'd like a game with similar mechanics called Thunderstone.

Inkidu

Is it physical or digital?
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Yukina

It's a physical board game, though there is an online version.

Qt

It's a fun game, but after playing a lot of it, I can't help but get the feeling that there is a serious lack of interaction. It feels like people are just doing their own things even if they are sat around a table playing one game.

The offensive cards can't specifically target players therefore making hard for you to actually stop someone who is in the lead and winning. That and the fact that the offensive cards either do very little to foil plans, or are so broken they slow the game to a halt as no one can ever get things done.

Lord Mayerling

Dominion is quite possibly one of the most overrated board games of all time.

No player interaction
Meaningless theme
No way to catch up if you're losing
It has rich-get-richer syndrome
Experienced players will always beat beginners

Pretty much a lousy game. There's a lot more out there that does everything it does better.

Inkidu

Quote from: Lord Mayerling on March 14, 2014, 06:18:39 PM

No player interaction
Meaningless theme

Pretty much a lousy game. There's a lot more out there that does everything it does better.
Ouch... :\
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Yukina

Inkidu

Quote from: Yugishogun on March 14, 2014, 06:45:10 PM
+1
I actually haven't played it, but that was some overwhelmingly negative criticism. :|

Qt

Quote from: Inkidu on March 14, 2014, 07:29:58 PM
I actually haven't played it, but that was some overwhelmingly negative criticism. :|

The game has some flaws but definitely not as bad as described.

Quote from: Lord Mayerling on March 14, 2014, 06:18:39 PM

No player interaction
Meaningless theme

No player interaction I do agree with, at least if you're keen on interacting with players then you have to set your objective to purely piss people off rather than win, and that only applies to games where there are attack cards.

The theme is quite nice, but I guess that's a matter of personal preference.

As for catching up when losing, it's really a matter of how good your original plan or strategy was.

A competitive game should favour the player that's more experienced.

Lord Mayerling

The game was certainly ground-braking when it came out. It basically invented the deck-building mechanic. It was also published in 2008; it only makes sense that other games have improved on deck-building since then. Really, the popularity of Dominion pushed other designers and publishers to make other deck-building games, some good, some bad. That's what ground-breaking games do.   

As for the theming...why does a village let me draw more cards and take more actions? Why? There's no theme there. There isn't much in the game that makes thematic sense to what it actually does. You get a card or another action. You could play on blank cards with text and lose nothing.

It's a game of optimizing your deck for maximum efficiency. There's no competition in that. You're basically creating an engine. Some people really like that in a game, obviously, due to its popularity. Some might not call it a game, but a puzzle.

I'm simply making a point that it's an overrated game. No one will ever play the game with their friends and then relive the climactic moments later. "Remember when we were playing Dominion and you made that awesome move?" is never something you will here about any game of Dominion ever. You can play it over and over and every game is essentially the same. Even with the expansions the gameplay doesn't change; it's only ever optimization of your own deck. No single game is memorable in any way.

Elina

I've played online and face to face.  I've also played each with two players and with more.  I've enjoyed all versions that I've tried.  Not trying to debate the virtues of the game,.just putting a differing opinion out there. 

Yukina

If enough interest comes up on the thread, I might try to host a Dominion night of some sort,