News:

Main Menu

London 2012

Started by Nico, July 28, 2012, 01:41:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nico

For all you sport enthusiasts out here. Let the games begin!

JackWhite

- Phelps was disappointing in his first final of this Olympics.
- Cyclng: Vinokourov, I don't know what to think about it.
- Belgium has it's first medal already!

Lilias

Eh, Phelps is 27. Getting a bit long in the tooth.

I'm looking forward to gymnastics. The trend is swinging towards older gymnasts, probably as a response to the 14-year-old Chinese chits with the forged passports. It's going to be beyond exciting. ;D
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

JackWhite

Quote from: Lilias on July 28, 2012, 02:39:26 PM
Eh, Phelps is 27. Getting a bit long in the tooth.

I'm looking forward to gymnastics. The trend is swinging towards older gymnasts, probably as a response to the 14-year-old Chinese chits with the forged passports. It's going to be beyond exciting. ;D

Lochte is 28. I don't really get the point. Pereira is only one year younger than Phelps.

Izu

May I just say that Sun Yang is damn hot! :3

ONs and OFFs || M/M Search || Izu's A&A
...Like reflections on the page, the world's what you create...

Lilias

Quote from: JackWhite on July 28, 2012, 02:46:05 PM
Lochte is 28. I don't really get the point. Pereira is only one year younger than Phelps.

*shrugs* Some athletes reach their peak early and burn out early, others come into their own late. Ian Thorpe was practically done by 23. I don't think anyone would expect 8 golds from Phelps at his third Games.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

JackWhite

Quote from: Lilias on July 28, 2012, 02:56:11 PM
*shrugs* Some athletes reach their peak early and burn out early, others come into their own late. Ian Thorpe was practically done by 23. I don't think anyone would expect 8 golds from Phelps at his third Games.

No, of course not but this was one that he should have been very motivated about. You don't get the chance every day to be the first man that is three times the champion in one discipline. I wonder if the change of suits has something to do with it though.

Lilias

Quote from: JackWhite on July 28, 2012, 02:58:28 PM
No, of course not but this was one that he should have been very motivated about. You don't get the chance every day to be the first man that is three times the champion in one discipline. I wonder if the change of suits has something to do with it though.

Competition is savage at the top and it gets harder and harder to defend a title four years later. The ones most likely to manage it are those who focus on just one event. I don't think we're going to see Sir Steve Redgrave's five gold beaten in the near future...
~Wendell Berry

Ryven

Grdell's sister is competing on the U.S. rowing team in this Olympics. :-)

JackWhite

Quote from: Lilias on July 28, 2012, 03:03:04 PM
Competition is savage at the top and it gets harder and harder to defend a title four years later. The ones most likely to manage it are those who focus on just one event. I don't think we're going to see Sir Steve Redgrave's five gold beaten in the near future...
I can agree on that but sometimes it just seems that his technique isn't as good as Lochte's. He's just not as motivated as before I think.

Lilias

Quote from: JackWhite on July 28, 2012, 03:09:45 PM
I can agree on that but sometimes it just seems that his technique isn't as good as Lochte's. He's just not as motivated as before I think.

It's kinda hard to keep yourself motivated when you've done everything - twice. ;)
~Wendell Berry

JackWhite

Quote from: Lilias on July 28, 2012, 03:11:14 PM
It's kinda hard to keep yourself motivated when you've done everything - twice. ;)

True.

Izu

Quote from: Ryven on July 28, 2012, 03:08:56 PM
Grdell's sister is competing on the U.S. rowing team in this Olympics. :-)

Awesome! I will be cheering for the U.S. rowing team then! :D

Right now - Bulgarian boxer went through to the next round, and our 39 year old gymnast - Yordan Yovchev still has a chance of moving on :3 

ONs and OFFs || M/M Search || Izu's A&A
...Like reflections on the page, the world's what you create...

Beorning

Poland won a silver medal today: Sylwia Bogacka at air rifle shooting.

Hurrah :)

Heaven Sent Blossom

I'm kind of sad I missed seeing the opening ceremony now, although not for the sorts of reasons the insufferable Seb Coe might hope for. I'm disappointed to have missed it because, as far as I can gleam from accounts of those who did watch it, the whole thing sounds like several hours of utter cringe. And I love that sort of thing.

I'm also sad I missed out on seeing the US olympic team in their berets, I was really looking forward to that. Hopefully it's not my last chance outside of a GIS.

Beorning

Quote from: Heaven Sent Blossom on July 28, 2012, 05:29:43 PM
I'm kind of sad I missed seeing the opening ceremony now, although not for the sorts of reasons the insufferable Seb Coe might hope for. I'm disappointed to have missed it because, as far as I can gleam from accounts of those who did watch it, the whole thing sounds like several hours of utter cringe. And I love that sort of thing.

Well... it *was* weird, IMHO. There was cigar-smoking Kenneth Branagh, there was J.K. Rowling (as well as a giant Voldemort puppet), there were James Bond and the Queen parachuting onto the stadium... and there was Mr. Bean playing "Chariots of Fire". The whole thing felt disjointed and pompous, to be frank...

... and I'm kind of disappointed that they didn't work the Doctor or the Daleks into it.  ;D

JackWhite

Quote from: Beorning on July 28, 2012, 06:02:36 PM
Well... it *was* weird, IMHO. There was cigar-smoking Kenneth Branagh, there was J.K. Rowling (as well as a giant Voldemort puppet), there were James Bond and the Queen parachuting onto the stadium... and there was Mr. Bean playing "Chariots of Fire". The whole thing felt disjointed and pompous, to be frank...

... and I'm kind of disappointed that they didn't work the Doctor or the Daleks into it.  ;D

I thought that most of it was pretty great. Having their history played from being farmers to the industrial revolution.

DeamonAndae19

Quote from: Beorning on July 28, 2012, 06:02:36 PM... and I'm kind of disappointed that they didn't work the Doctor or the Daleks into it.  ;D

That was my only let down, tbh, Mr. Bean, James Bond and Isambard Kindom Brunell are all British treasures.

And, well, Danny Boyle's pretty rubbish in general, I think the only good thing of his I've really seen is '127 Hours' with James Franko, who, apparently, I share a mild resemblance to >_>

Nico

Yay! ~dances around~ Bronze medal for the UK ;D

Ridcully

The Dream Team match today was pretty, pretty good. France has a very good team actually, and they got beaten up quite badly.

The alley-oops from LeBron were fun to watch.

Also, the archery women's team final was pretty exciting. Never care for it usually, but when you have three asian teams in the finals and the bows are nearly as tall as the Ladies, it's great fun to watch. Especially since these Ladies really, really kicked ass with their shooting.

CastorTroy

Going to some events in the next few days. As I live in London - extremely close to where most of it is happening, too - I thought it'd be very rude not to attend a few events.  ;)
Requests | ONs/OFFsA/As

Current Roleplays: My Crown Jewel | Familial Ties | Daddy’s Out (Completed) |

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Beorning on July 28, 2012, 06:02:36 PM

I loved it, mostly. It made sense on many levels, but you could never know where it was going next. It didn't take itself overly seriously either. But then a London inauguration could never have been like Bejing - for starters, the fast way not to get something accepted in the UK is having it expounded by a man in uniform - unless it *is* a clearly military occasion. Building it on the kind of mass effects to be watched from high above that were so splendidly used in  China or even in Los Angeles in '84 would never have worked in London.

It looks like Sweden is gonna make a dismal Olympics in terms of medals, just as in Vancouver - most of the big puller names that could have stood a real chance to win gold or silver are down with serious injuries or have recently finished their pro careers. Not that I'm very patriotic when it comes to sports, I reckon I'll be supporting Britain and Russia. Looking forward to seeing Jessica Ennis and (once again) Elena Izinbayeva, perhaps the coolest sportswoman of her generation. And Bolt, of course.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Nico

Quote from: CastorTroy on July 30, 2012, 06:01:44 PM
Going to some events in the next few days. As I live in London - extremely close to where most of it is happening, too - I thought it'd be very rude not to attend a few events.  ;)
Oh how I envy you! Cheer some for me! ;D

CastorTroy

Quote from: Nicholas on July 31, 2012, 12:44:31 PM
Oh how I envy you! Cheer some for me! ;D

Got several days off work because of the Olympics, too (or 'working from home' as they call it  ;) ). Will do lots of cheering.  ;D
Requests | ONs/OFFsA/As

Current Roleplays: My Crown Jewel | Familial Ties | Daddy’s Out (Completed) |

gaggedLouise

Who but Batman competes in the Olympics of the Supercrime world?  :D

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"