Game of Thrones-inspired Fantasy [ M/F ]

Started by Hemingway, June 29, 2012, 02:58:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemingway

Ever since I read A Game of Thrones, I've wanted to do a medieval fantasy game full of intrigue and drama. I haven't had much luck, however. Recently, my interest has been rekindled. Since the TV series is popular nowadays, and the series has gotten a much wider audience, I figure I'll give it another shot. ( If you care to guess who the characters were inspired by, you're welcome to message me your answer. It shouldn't be too difficult if you've seen the show, and trivial if you've read the novels.  ;) )

The plot I have in mind revolves around two noble houses - I don't like giving names at this stage, so I'll refer to them as Red and Blue. The character I have in mind for myself is the youngest of three sons of the Red house, while the female character is the daughter and only child of the Blue house. Red and Blue have long been rivals, and their fiefdoms and towns have been ravaged by several years of conflict. The liege lords of both these houses are aging men, both growing weaker, both wishing for peace. To end these hostilities, a diplomatic marriage is arranged between the eldest Red son and the Blue daughter.

Being the youngest of three, my character has spent his life in the shadow of his brothers, frequently overlooked, always the lesser. When the marriage is announced, he is quite taken with the Lady Blue, and grows jealous of his brother. Lady Blue, being a cunning sort and having no real love for my character's brother, decides she can use the situation to advance her own position. She knows that, married to my character's brother, she will never be more than a wife. My character knows she wants to use him, but also knows it's his only chance at escaping the position he was born into.

There, in a nutshell, is the plot. The details are left intentionally vague to allow for more flexibility. There are a few things that must remain as they are for the story to work for me, however: the female character must be older than the male character, she must not be meek and submissive, and she must be cunning and calculating. Aside from those three points, I'm very much open to suggestions.