Vampire the Masquerade - Interest Check - Players and STs wanted

Started by AndyZ, April 28, 2011, 06:35:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyZ

I noticed an awful lot of people interested in a Vampire: the Masquerade game, so being the proactive self that I try so hard to be, I'm attempting to drop a post down to see who'd be interested.  Unfortunately, I'm not overly interested in running such a game, though I would be interested in playing.

Here's the idea I'm playing with:

Five years or so ago, there was some terrible event that all the new people don't really know about or understand.  As a consequence, nearly every vampire older than about five years has long since passed.  This event may have been Gehenna, or something else, that's going to be up to the STs.  However, with some very few exceptions, the only vampires around now are descended from those few.

If people don't like the idea, that's fine.  This is more an interest check than anything else and a way to pull people together who would be interested.

Also please note if you'd be interested to run this, since the game won't go very far without any Storytellers.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Sabriel

I am watching this with interest, It is an intriguing concept one I have and had ideas upon myself.

RubySlippers

Sounds like a Caitiff's wet dream world with the mighty elders gone and the few potent blooded vampires not very old evens things out a bit.

Interested.

abandoneddolly

Kirinis

Interested in playing, not so much for STing.  I've never STed for a Vampire game.

Hellion000

I've been playing and STing VtM since about '95.

Having said that, I've never seen a post-Gehenna chronicle... mostly because the big G usually involves the Anti-D's eating every Lick on the planet before themselves being consumed by Caine.

I can think of about 3 people besides myself who might commit to a game like that.

If nothing else, the Sect level dynamics would be... interesting.

Sabbat: "I fucking TOLD YOU SO! But... WTF are we gonna do now? Our reason for existing is gone."

Anarchs: "Uh... WTFBBQsauce just happened?"

Gangrel: "The Sabbat FUCKING TOLD YOU SO!"

Indies: *crickets chirping, as most of them were so tied to their Clan founders that they'd have been eaten first*

Camarilla: "Uh... so... about that whole 'the Antidelluvians are a myth perpetrated by the ignorant Sabbat' thing? My bad... So... are we cool?"

___

All humor and levity aside though? Bitchin' idea.

AndyZ

I and I'm sure quite a few others would also be quite interested in a game where Gehenna simply never happened at all.  It was just an idea for one storyline of many, to see if I could get the ball rolling and find someone interested in running.

If you'd be interested in running a game, fantastic.  There's a lot of people who'd love to play.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

TheHangedOne

If possible, I'd like to actually play a ghoul for a vampire if it kicks off, or maybe a mortal retainer... though if that would ruin the feel of the game, I'd be interested in making a vampire, too.  :-)
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

RubySlippers

I want to play a Caitiff, not to thin blooded just not very potent overall.

But I can see a post G game according to the canon the Technocracy took out the leader of the Ravnos line with nukes and orbital cannons so they might have been the ones to stop the most powerful ancients. Maybe after a number of terrorist attacks (wink) with neutron bombs on key cities and locations.

AndyZ

I can imagine the possibility that the only vampires still around are all the ones who were in torpor during a particular day, during which time all the others were wiped out.

It doesn't even have to be canon, though.  Just that with this many people, somebody should be able to pick up the ball and make something awesome.

RubySlippers

If the bloodline effects are as the conventional history anyone in a clan with an ancient would be food or a tool in the final battle, leaving those of minor bloodlines and the Ventrue with some stragglers of weaker blood still standing plus the clanless who have no clan imprint. This would remove many Brujah since most of their clanless had a clan by the normal standard as the clan strengths and weakness.

Even if a few serious elders are left they would not have the support network or the numbers to do much and odds are the two major factions are gone as effective governments.

AndyZ

Fair enough.  That might not be the game that people want to play, though, or the game that people want to run.

We'll see what happens when somebody steps up to try to ST this.

RubySlippers

You could go half-way there are crippled major factions with some elders and others but they have now many clanless and independent bloodlines who are not going to play ball. The Setites without Set around might for example have some leaders around but now with many disenchanted youngsters that are now drifting away.

Might be interesting dynamics as the elders consolidate in big cities while smaller ones are left to the young vampires with various organizational types forming.

Whatever as long as its new I'm tired of elders stepping on youngsters all the time in these games.

Sabriel

In a post apocalyptic WOD setting I have been working on and long been dreaming up that goes a little bit like this in brief, the world is recovering from an apocalyptic scenario although not everything is as in your average Gehenna/Apocalypse/Ascension/Fae Cheesecake bake sale/etc.  But well there is a bit of Nod type prophecy stuff going on and bits and bobs from the other elements of WOD, mostly its things trying to scrape up power/territories and survive in a dead world and coming to terms with those changes and what it means to them.

In the setting the Thin Bloods and weaker generations are now like the most common and ruling vampires, with the world as it is they have gained superior advantage over the stronger blooded Kindred. It's quite a departure from the regular masquerade/WOD since well the masquerade itself barely exists anymore, there are no Kindred sects except the ones that exist in a few eccentric Kindreds minds. There supposedly no living ancients and even Elder Kindred are legend and rumor those few that are known to exist and are seen and involved in anything are rare. There are merely places and Kindred, mortals and the other things that go bump in the night/day, even clans are sort of meaningless and less common in this new dark era. The Kindred that survived have basically placed themselves in control of populations of humanity that continue to exist (Much like some other supernaturals have done), to most there seams little point in hiding the fact they exist anymore since there is obvious signs of the supernatural in the world now. Oh yeah there is a big problem with the restless dead too, ghosts, spirit storms and bizarre backlashes of unknown forces that tear at the very fabric of the dying world.   

One of the main problems facing people at present in the world, is the fact that there is an abundance of supernatural backlash natural disaster economic/governmental collapse and lack of tea, the death/disappearance/coffee break of forces that once effected the world has made certain creatures weaker/stronger/more emo/less furry and rarrr Worms! in some respects.

Yeah so its a weird and well very different post-wod thing which I have "not" described as seriously as I thought it out and planned it thus far hehe.

Hellion000

Let's leave this up for a while and see what sort of base we can build. Once we're there we can vote on "canon VtM" or "Post G homebrew" and go from there...

TheHangedOne

Quote from: Hellion000 on April 28, 2011, 05:22:11 PM
Let's leave this up for a while and see what sort of base we can build. Once we're there we can vote on "canon VtM" or "Post G homebrew" and go from there...
Sounds like a good plan to me.
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

Sasha

I like the concept put forth ...a post "G" world ....unique really ..though my background in storytelling is more leaning towards the Sabbat side. Playing a young vampire is always most fun ....if you ask me , elders become quiet boring after awhile and what has been laid out removes that "God" factor so many get playing one.

So basically ..what your suggesting Sabriel is post-apox reign ....where the whole world has been effected by some series of catastrophes that brings the human populace down to lower numbers. Somehow this series of events could of been caused by the returning of Caine or the great battle ..leaving mostly thinbloods or the youth of the clans.

Cap at ...11th gen ? and just use starter character rules ...

Is this what you had in mind AndyZ ?

Tagging as interested anyways but can not commit to being a storyteller just do not have the time ...playing a character might be fun though as I do so miss a little dice rolling for the surprise element of it all.

Senti

AndyZ

I'll stress that whoever wants to run things doesn't have to use this idea unless he or she likes it.  However, I thought it was a cute little idea so I threw it out there for people to play with.

Those familiar with the Langoliers may remember the story of a few people waking up who had all fallen asleep on an airplane and they didn't know why everyone else was gone and that they were all alone.  Imagine a group of vampires who were all in torpor at the same time, and when they woke up, nearly all the other vampires were gone.  The only ones left were a scattering of NPCs, and these vampires may be the only ones left in the entire world.

Only the person or people running would know the real reason for the catastrophe.  The PCs could attempt to find out, or they could simply revel in their freedom and rebuild.

However, my real reason for putting up this thread is to show that there were a lot of interested people and encourage someone to step up and make a lot of people happy.

RubySlippers

Quote from: Sasha on April 28, 2011, 10:57:52 PM
I like the concept put forth ...a post "G" world ....unique really ..though my background in storytelling is more leaning towards the Sabbat side. Playing a young vampire is always most fun ....if you ask me , elders become quiet boring after awhile and what has been laid out removes that "God" factor so many get playing one.

So basically ..what your suggesting Sabriel is post-apox reign ....where the whole world has been effected by some series of catastrophes that brings the human populace down to lower numbers. Somehow this series of events could of been caused by the returning of Caine or the great battle ..leaving mostly thinbloods or the youth of the clans.

Cap at ...11th gen ? and just use starter character rules ...

Is this what you had in mind AndyZ ?

Tagging as interested anyways but can not commit to being a storyteller just do not have the time ...playing a character might be fun though as I do so miss a little dice rolling for the surprise element of it all.

I could see stronger blood after all Diablerie would be an option with crap hitting the fan and Caitiff don't have to be thin blooded per se they just have no clan imprint a little more potent blood or even a defective 8th generation is possible. And according to the canon background its hinted the Caitiff would not be targetable by the antedelluvians of their respective clans so could go after them to gain power especially if organized with hunting ghouls and modern weapons. Generation anyway is not what is important age is and there will be no powerful elders around.

Sabriel

Neat  :-)

In the setting and idea I was working on I decided on handling Generation very differently since it was a different element in the story, basically I intended on flipping the background on its head because being of closer blood to Caine was no longer necessarily anything to do with power/respect etc in a lot of ways it made you weaker in this new era (The curse of Caine has become a heavier burden). This is an era when as some in the time before interpreted prophecy as foretelling the rise of the Thin blood and there rule, there weak blood gives them advantage in this era and there growing numbers and ability of some to breed make them feared by the few rare surviving Kindred who remember anything of before. Those embraced after the catastrophe know little if anything of the time before the world fell into ruin, few clans exist as they where and none are suspected of retaining there founders who as far as those that survive to know claim all where destroyed.  For example one rumor has it that one clan has no Kindred members any longer and that all who survived of that line are now once more mortals, although some tell a different version where Kindred turned to naught but dust. 

Basically the starting generation would be 10th, with dots in the background making you further from Caine's blood. May sound weird I know but well there is more advantage in this era of being of lesser blood and Embraced after the post apocalyptic thingamajig. 

Hellion000

I'm not particularly interested in running anyone else's ideas- though the ideas I've seen here are interesting. I'm willing to run the game as long as there's certain concessions made- rules of the gaming table, as it were, that we can discuss if every one agrees to let me run this. There's nothing really draconian about my ruleset, just things I expect to see and need to happen in order to maintain the flavor of the setting and to make the game run smoothly.

Having said that, if the majority of people want to see a post Gehenna game, I can make it happen.

It looks like we've got the following in terms of numbers:

1.) AndyZ- Player Vote: Both.
2.) Sabriel- Player Vote: Canon.
3.) RubySlippers- Player Vote: Canon.
4.) AbandonedDolly- Player Vote: Both.
5.) Kirinis- Player Vote: Both
6.) Hellion000- GM Vote: Abstained.
7.) TheHangedMan- Player Vote: Both
8.) Sasha- Player Vote: Post-Gehenna
9.) Senti- Player Vote: Canon.
10.) Kate- Just passing through?
11.) Phyrefaerie- Player Vote: Post-Gehenna
12.) Michael- Player Vote: Canon
13: Breagha- Player Vote: Both

I sent an FPM to 3 more possible players- Blitzy, Phyrefaerie, and Job- to see if they were interested, and I know of two people beginning the application process who will want in on this. That's upwards of 15 people who are/will be interested. I think that's enough really, to begin thinking about the hows and whens of running this beast of a game. ((EDIT: Michael and Breagha were the two I was waiting on. Kate is apparently just lurking, Job has not replied, Blitzy has declined, and Phyre is in. Looks like we have 12 people.))

My personal preference would be:

1.) Messengers
2.) Forums
3.) IRC
4.) Email

I know that with 15 people we're not going to manage to get everyone on and around to do a messenger game, so I suspect we're going to need to do it on the Forums. So, unless you guys have a serious issue with me taking over the GM aspect of the game I'm going to get busy thinking and plotting. What I need from you hepcats and coolkittens is a vote of sorts: Canon oWoD or Post-Gehenna? Since three of the people I'm bringing in haven't seen this thread yet and 2 of them are still in the approval process we can let the discussion about Canon or Post-Gehenna linger for a day or two.

AndyZ

Sounds pretty awesome to me, Hellion.

I hereby abstain on any sort of vote for canon or post-gehenna, both because I don't want to dilute the voting pool when others have strong opinions and I do not, and because I don't want to force a ST to run something that he doesn't have an idea for.

Would you like full-on character sheets or will this be more freeform?

Sabriel

I like WOD as it is and well dislike when it gets too weird or Disney and departs from what I love about the setting I am quite picky, nothing against people doing that whatever floats your boat but eh I prefer to know about it so I can skip that boat hehe. Which may sound quite odd given that I have been speaking about one of my own ideas which is not exactly standard fair, but then there is no future world of darkness established and I am open to different things so long as it is upfront about being different. It just disappoints me if I end up finding myself in the middle of a vampire game where things like weird vampire bloodlines outnumber the main clans and the extinct seam to be more alive than the supposedly thriving clans or worse... ::)

So yeah my vote would probably go for the cannon thing and well I am not really interested in being a ST presently only perhaps a player. I have things I am planning working on that I might want to do in the future when I feel there ready, so I am not looking to feel pressured into running something else without my own time to think about and consider it properly.

As for the method it was done well I imagine it be hard to do on messengers, although such thing can work well on online chats given significant numbers and well reliable turnout but then you have time zone problems.

Id imagine forums might end up being the more popular and reliable method, but well i have not had any good experience with online chat things recently and am out of touch with them. Others might know of a good way of doing it that way, I know its possible since Ive witnessed it first hand in the past.

Senti

Well I cant ST however if it my choice I like it simple and without Disney....Its World of DARKNESS for a reason. however more than happy to join as long as it does not get silly.

Yes for Cannon.