Recruting- Silent Hills (Silent hill inspired horror)

Started by WindVoyager, April 07, 2015, 11:22:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WindVoyager

A simple introduction: Silent Hills is a Silent Hill inspired mild horror free form sand box centered around a small isolated town called Cold Creek. Its a beautiful place, there's a small amusement park, lake and two accommodating hotels. There are plenty of sights to see. On the surface it appears to be a normal small town surrounded by thick temperate forest and a few small farms. But appearances are deceiving. Cold Creek  is ruled by a powerful supernatural force that has pulled characters in from all walks of life and worlds, drawn to some darkness the posses, some dark secret.

Every one in town has some dark secret to hide, some fear, some guilt.

History

Built along the shores of Toluca Lake, Cold Creek appears to be a mid-sized town tourist town that is surrounded by wooded hills and rivers.  The lake itself has a long history of drownings, suicides and disappearances including a DUCK watercraft full of tourists and several small watercraft. 

Going back more then four centuries, Cold Creek's history is plentiful and dark. To the local tribes of Native Americans, the Toluca Lake area had been known as "The Place of Silenced Spirits", and was long considered to have a kind of spiritual significance and an air of mysterious power. It was considered to be a holy place, where many rituals were conducted in accordance with the indigenous beliefs.

The late 1600s saw the arrival of settlers who would force the indigenous people from their sacred lands. These settlers would remain in the area until the turn of the century. At the start of the 1700's, an epidemic swept through the surrounding area surrounding Toluca Lake. With a large portion of the populace dead, the settlement was abandoned. It wasn't until the start of the 1800's that resettlement began.

Tragedy struck again when, around 1890, people began to mysteriously vanish from Cold Creek. At the turn of the century, Cold Creek was re-imaged as a tourist destination and has become a destination for fisherman and boaters.

These are the town rules and structure.

Who can leave and who can't?

Delivery people can leave, well as non-local authorities as town does not want to bring trouble. Tourists, weary travelers, characters from other worlds and so forth, will be unable to leave once they pass the towns boarders. Any one who tries to leave will find it impossible, the forest surrounding becomes vast and confusing, cars break down once they the town, it becomes foggy outside of town etc

The motels and hotels are free for your character to stay until they are officially stuck, older residents will put your character in a home for free. To eat your character has to find a job. Most residents are understanding and will help find work for your character. Characters who have cell phones or computers will find that any calls or e-mails for help do not reach thier destination.

You call someone up and shout "Help help me! I'm being held against my will!" but what the other person hears is "Its so wonderful here. I might just move here. So should you."

How long does the town stay normal?

Its verries. Some times months will pass by with no to little super natural activity, other times the activity goes on for weeks to months at a time. Those who have been there the longest keep stock piles of food, water and supplies and are not too keen on sharing since there's no way to know when things will revert back to normal.

What happens to the town when it changes?

Cold Creek becomes foggy, twisted and macabre.  There are regular monsters and things that roam the town but most monsters are based on a characters fears and guilt. And its not always monsters, it can be loved ones, both living and dead and the like. It depends on your characters sitation.

How to arrive

So many ways. Your character can be a native of the town, someone who moved there or even a tourist who though the small resort town would be a nice place to take a vacation. Other ways your character can arrive:

-Take a wrong turn and drive into town.
-Get lost in the woods and find themselves telaported unknowing to Cold Creek
-Something as simple as being transported in a vehicle and waking up to a vehicle devoid of other passengers that has gone off the side of the road

Game Rules

-Adhere to all Elliquiy rules
-Please respect player/character ons and offs.
-There is no posting order
-Please make sure to use the tagging system
-These rules are subject to change at the GM's discretion.
- No godmodding
-If you choose to leave the group, please inform the GM and anybody you are RPing with so we're not left hanging
- IC Posts should have substance, no one-liners.
-Please try not to keep anybody waiting on a post longer than one week. Real life happens but inform any one you are RPing with that you will be longer
-All gender types and sexualities will be accepted, including Asexual and Agendered characters.
-This is going to be plot heavy\character interaction heavy RP. That being said your characters can have all the sex they want just don't let it become all your character does

Rumors and happenings in town

-The dark and twisted 400 year old oak tree hidden at the back of Rosewater Park, is often used by the small local cult as a meeting place. The descendants of the local tribe consider the tree sacred

-The long abandoned Pete's Bowl-O-Rama is concealing a small makeshift mobile lab producing PTV. The ones responsible plan on selling the PTV during the Annual Spring Festival, using the influx of new comers as a way to get the drug outside the town

PTV is made from an indigenous plant, White Claudia that is easily found through out the heavily forested regions. Its very addictive and produces different effects on the user though it commonly produces realistic hallucinations, lowers inhibition and is rumored to heighten sex.

-The old water pumping station and water works located just outside of town is rumored to be haunted by the ghosts of workers who died during a horrible accident and strange lights are often seen near and in the rotting buildings

-The descendants of the local tribe have an almost third sense when the town is about to shift and sound the air raid siren that is on top of the Cold Creek Historical Center

- Dr. Adrien Finch of Brookhaven Hospital is addicted to PTV and has been preforming experiments on humans, trying to find some way to bring his daughter that died in a tragic accident at Lakeside Amusement Park back

Characters

You can play pretty much any character as long as they can fit through a doorway and have enough intelligence and ability to communicate, both Fandom and originals. Just no fantasy based characters. You can choose to play Silent Hill monster as your secondary or third character.

You can currently have up to three characters and as many NPCs as you can handle

Name:
Fandom or original:
Appearance:
Personality:
Fears\guilt
Strengths:
Weakness:
offs and ons:

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=227473.msg11165247#msg11165247   OOC thread

In Town

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=227476.0

Lake and forest

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=227475.0

wander

I'd like to jump in on this. I have a nwod mortal character that would work really well for this, given a small bit of adaptation. His darker past and regrets are perfect for a Silent Hill inspired horror game. :)

Etherealgirl

WindVoyager

and you beat me to it. Def keeping Lakeside Amusement park, I'm planing on bringing in the parks mascots as living beings, physical manifestations of the dark powers and its loyal minions. I can see Robbie being the leader of this little gang of almost cute looking five foot cartoony animals that carry things liek base balls bats and the like around

Lockepick

Posting interest! Bouncing some ideas around in my head.
Like what you see? I am currently looking for new plots!

Detailed List of O/Os and Plot Seeds

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

Lockepick

If I do anything, it'll be an OC. I assume from the write up that OC are acceptable?
Like what you see? I am currently looking for new plots!

Detailed List of O/Os and Plot Seeds

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

wander

Well, from the OP this is Silent Hill inspired, not actually a full-on Silent Hill game.

I'm assuming until corrected, we'd be playing OCs because of that.

WindVoyager

Both OCs and CC are welcome. OCs and CCs from other fandoms are welcome as well as long as they can fit past door ways and can communicate reasonably.

QuoteI...I just noticed we are allowed to play up to three characters, including monsters!

Yep. You can play monsters because whats a Silent Hill inspired game with out monsters?

Cosmo_ac

this sounds like it has a lot of fun possibilities.  I would also like to toss my hat into the ring.  Truth be told, some of the ideas your floating are ones that have passed through my mind a few times as well.  So, it's impossible to escape from this town and nobody has ever gotten out before?

Sirian Eve

Count me in! I'll be playing a city girl who just moved to Cold Creek. I love a good horror story with plot/smut.

CURRENT STATUS: Posting 8/26

WindVoyager

Quotethis sounds like it has a lot of fun possibilities.  I would also like to toss my hat into the ring.  Truth be told, some of the ideas your floating are ones that have passed through my mind a few times as well.  So, it's impossible to escape from this town and nobody has ever gotten out before?

Escape is pretty impossible. You can leave the town itself and go to other areas around Cold Creek (its a very large area) but going beyond the boundaries just isn't ' possible. Those who try come to roads that end in a massive drop offs, impassable barriers and thick walls of fog that lead the character in circles.

Faustus

*pokes head in* What about Silent Hill characters that *might* be dead but their bodies kind of disappeared so we don't know for certain?

Aka, would it be okay to play Father Vincent Smith from Silent Hill 3?

“You may my glories and my state depose,
But not my griefs; still am I king of those.”

ON's and OFF's || Plots and Ideas || A/A's and Owed Posts [Updated 02/12! Please see.]

Lustful Bride

Hmmm interested, but I will wait and see how it goes first,

WindVoyager

Quote*pokes head in* What about Silent Hill characters that *might* be dead but their bodies kind of disappeared so we don't know for certain?

Aka, would it be okay to play Father Vincent Smith from Silent Hill 3?

Since its SH inspired you can use CC that may have died or did die in the SH canon

Cosmo_ac

QuoteEscape is pretty impossible. You can leave the town itself and go to other areas around Cold Creek (its a very large area) but going beyond the boundaries just isn't ' possible. Those who try come to roads that end in a massive drop offs, impassable barriers and thick walls of fog that lead the character in circles.

Fair enough, but I have to ask; what stops the families of said people from looking for said people, or sending others to look for them?  I mean, say I go to said town, spend the week, and then am trapped.  Whats to stop me from sending e-mails or making phone calls, or having concerned family or law enforcement looking for me?  Is it one of those cases where if your looking for it you can't find it, or something like that?  And if so, how can delivery people find it?  Just curious really.  I can totally suspend belief for this game, as it looks promising. 

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Cosmo_ac on April 12, 2015, 10:30:52 AM
Fair enough, but I have to ask; what stops the families of said people from looking for said people, or sending others to look for them?  I mean, say I go to said town, spend the week, and then am trapped.  Whats to stop me from sending e-mails or making phone calls, or having concerned family or law enforcement looking for me?  Is it one of those cases where if your looking for it you can't find it, or something like that?  And if so, how can delivery people find it?  Just curious really.  I can totally suspend belief for this game, as it looks promising.

The town finds a way. Remember like in the games its inspired by the town seems to have its own intelligence of sorts. Those emails and calls will not bet he samr thing that you say.

You call someone up and shout "Help help me! Im being held against my will!" then the town will make it that the other person hears. "I'm having a wonderful time, I really like it here. I might just move in actually."

Youre dealing with something Lovecraftian that has been around since before Humans learned of fire.

Also im thinking of writing up a character who is perhaps a descendant of the native tribes that used to inhabit the area. Would that be acceptable.

WindVoyager

QuoteFair enough, but I have to ask; what stops the families of said people from looking for said people, or sending others to look for them?  I mean, say I go to said town, spend the week, and then am trapped.  Whats to stop me from sending e-mails or making phone calls, or having concerned family or law enforcement looking for me?  Is it one of those cases where if your looking for it you can't find it, or something like that?  And if so, how can delivery people find it?  Just curious really.  I can totally suspend belief for this game, as it looks promising.

Like Lustful Bride stated, the town will find a way. The darkness that traps characters there has a will and intelligence of its own. Just because the character do have access to the net and phone calls doesn't mean they will be able to reach their destination. You never know who or what is really on the other end. Or what they are really hearing.

The entity that is the town knows it needs the delivery people for the town to seem normal and so the people of the town can have supplies. It allows them to come and go so they won't raise any suspensions. The exception is when the town is shifting. Deliveries get mysteriously rescheduled or canceled

QuoteYou call someone up and shout "Help help me! Im being held against my will!" then the town will make it that the other person hears. "I'm having a wonderful time, I really like it here. I might just move in actually."

Can't you just see someone' character on the other end of that phone screaming no and for them not to come and all the other person hears is something like "That's great! I can barely wait to see you here."

QuoteAlso im thinking of writing up a character who is perhaps a descendant of the native tribes that used to inhabit the area. Would that be acceptable.

That would be fine

Lustful Bride

What if I make her a Deputy in the town? Small town deputy like to help keep order in town, especially for the newcomers?

Could explain who it is that is ringing the Siren when things happen,  ::)

WindVoyager

The need a Deputy since they are going to have all manner of characters from all walks of life, some of them non human.  Integrating the siren form the game and movie is a really good idea.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: WindVoyager on April 12, 2015, 11:48:04 AM
The need a Deputy since they are going to have all manner of characters from all walks of life, some of them non human.  Integrating the siren form the game and movie is a really good idea.

I can also imagine there being abit of tension between the native descendants and the others of the town since the lodge they run to when things shift to hellworld is a safe place, they lock it down and perform rites there for protection, but only members of the tribe are allowed in and if you are trapped outside when the doors shut, you stay outside.

WindVoyager

QuoteI can also imagine there being abit of tension between the native descendants and the others of the town since the lodge they run to when things shift to hellworld is a safe place, they lock it down and perform rites there for protection, but only members of the tribe are allowed in and if you are trapped outside when the doors shut, you stay outside.

Makes sense. There are bound to be a lot of people who lock down when things go all pear shaped and wont let any one in and will protect what supplies they have.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: WindVoyager on April 08, 2015, 11:51:51 AM
and you beat me to it. Def keeping Lakeside Amusement park, I'm planing on bringing in the parks mascots as living beings, physical manifestations of the dark powers and its loyal minions. I can see Robbie being the leader of this little gang of almost cute looking five foot cartoony animals that carry things liek base balls bats and the like around

Quote from: WindVoyager on April 12, 2015, 12:36:07 PM
Makes sense. There are bound to be a lot of people who lock down when things go all pear shaped and wont let any one in and will protect what supplies they have.

Though as one of the few forms of law in town I imagine my character will be staying out of the lodge to help others get to safety.

WindVoyager

QuoteThough as one of the few forms of law in town I imagine my character will be staying out of the lodge to help others get to safety.

Small town won't have much of a police department.

Instead of a Silent Hill Historical Society I can see it being  Cold Creek Historical Society were the history of the town is kept including its darker history. They could keep the air raid serine there since the CCHS would sit some where in the middle of town on the main street

Lustful Bride

Quote from: WindVoyager on April 12, 2015, 01:43:31 PM
Small town won't have much of a police department.

Instead of a Silent Hill Historical Society I can see it being  Cold Creek Historical Society were the history of the town is kept including its darker history. They could keep the air raid serine there since the CCHS would sit some where in the middle of town on the main street

OKay.  :-)

Working on my character Sheet.