Let's write our own anime

Started by assleigh, March 28, 2014, 01:16:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

assleigh

So, I'm watching Sword Art Online via Netflix and I was struck by how rich and emotional Anime can be... And I wondered if others liked the genre as much as I do. That being said, I'm very open to:

• This being a Group RP - non adult to start, but if I get approved we can change that
  • Deciding the setting/mood/type of anime together
  • Finding places to add emotional content to the story

I know this is written in really broadly, but I want this to be collaborative and involve in total 3-5 players in this.
The queerest of the queer ... I know what's good for you (You can touch me if you want)

My ONs and OFFs

JayNighte

I would LOVE to join in! I've often done this on my own in my head!

assleigh

Way cool, it's always cool to know I'm not alone in my odd.musings. Thanks for the interest.

So... I'll admit I watch all sorts of stuff and I'm currently into anime with emotional depth like:

• Angel Beats
  • Sword Art Online
  • Soul Eater
  • ??? - there was this weird one about this artist who was the reincarnation of this artist who had tormented and killed the woman he loved who was the subject of his masterpiece portrait whose spirit was bound to the guy...it was dark and sadistic and romantic
  • Shuffle!
  • Kenichi, the mightiest disciple
  • Sekerei
  • Demon King Daimao

just to name a few. How about you?
The queerest of the queer ... I know what's good for you (You can touch me if you want)

My ONs and OFFs

JayNighte

In terms of anime and manga, I've seen/Read SAO, Soul Eater, Naruto/Bleach/One Piece/DBZ, Hunter X Hunter, Ranma 1/2, different Digimon, um...darn... a lot that I can't remember...

assleigh

I know some of those, but know they're fun. I will say I had...patience issues with DBZ...not enough 'happened' in an episode for my tastes...

...what type of Anime do you like most?  Setting wise I mean:
School based

• Soul Eater
  • Angel Beats
  • Oh! My Goddess

Fantasy settings

• Fairy Tale
  • DBZ
  • SAO

Fighting Focused

• Ranma 1/2
  • DBZ

My ONs and OFFs

JayNighte

...I...didn't mention Fairy Tail? *facepalms* Sorry.

I like the fantasy setting, or even VR World setting. I've had ideas for both.

assleigh

Hit me with 'em maybe we can weave the two together :)

Fairy Tale is fun :) a light comedy but with low key notes of character development and weirdneasea.

My ONs and OFFs

JayNighte

Okay... I had an idea for a virtual reality world where the different areas are based on different countries and mythology. And that everyone chose a starting Profession. Most choose combat professions, though there are some like Scholar and Chef. These determine your skills, your starting location, and how you can make money.

assleigh

Hmmm... Sounds interesting... Are the Mythologies just skins for areas and puzzles and monsters or do they 'matter' ... Meaning, if you're combat focused you'll probably start in the North amongst the Norsemen and their gods while more cultured, social types could end up in the far east amongst the Chinese and the Bureaucracy of Heaven... More nature oriented types down in South America as a Shaman???

I'd a thought... Maybe.part of the mechanics has you working more to honor a patron God/Goddess then Leveling up'. As your skills increase it's a mark of devotion and you gain divine favor that can express itself as some sort of boon/power move. So a Greek craftsman could have Athena as a patroness whilst a Norse fighter could have Thor... And thief gods favor increases their effectiveness/opens up special quests.

My ONs and OFFs

JayNighte

I love those ideas! It would definitely flesh out the world. You would be able to find combat and puzzles in all major areas, of course, but there would be more sub-areas focused on combat in the North and less in the East for example.

assleigh

Cool, I figure the game would have all sorts of challenges/quests/events/quirks that should be flavored by the area you're in... Say if dueling was a global option, maybe the challenger initiates a duel but the challenged choses the 'format'... It's not necessarily combat focused, which is why Everyone likes dueling those followers of Aphrodite.

We need a name for the game... And something "behind" it... Some plot either corporate or supernatural or both...

hmmmm... Maybe "Elder Gods Ascension"
and the plot could be that old gods are tired of being historical footnotes and are using the game to create new "believers" who they can inspire and influence in the real world.

My ONs and OFFs

JayNighte

Well. Those are great ideas. The challenges being not just combat allows for this to be both a VR anime story...and not be forced into a combat story. And a supernatural VR story is very interesting in my opinion. Personally though... "Elder Gods Ascension" sounds cool, but a bit too Lovecraft-esque IMO. If you want a cliche-sounding name, it could be "Worlds Clash" or "Realms of ___" for anime-sounding or MMO-sounding. But if you want a good name, I'm not very good at that :P

assleigh

If we did go with the supernatural VR at some point we could have things bleed into reality at some point. Say the warrior - jock finds himself moving faster than he ever has been or the priestess of Aphrodite - shy girl finds she's suddenly a magnet for the attention of all the boys...

... Btw, we should talk about 'reality' are they students who just play the game on their free time...are they beta testers hired by the company to explore the world pre release date... Or maybe they get a special invite to the game one night or something else mysterious...

My ONs and OFFs

JayNighte

Good question. If hired beta testers, then the world would be less populated by players. If students, we could do stuff in VR and in school. That's one of the things I liked about the Persona games is the contrast yet obvious connections. Hmm...

If we go with the students angle, the bleeding into the real world would have some interesting effects.

assleigh

My thoughts exactly, and we could shift focus from VR to School RP as it suited the story and our interest. It could add an interesting dynamic if the characters knew each other in VR but didn't realize off the bat they go to school together... Because in talking things through I had the notion of playing a girl who is shy and quiet and dutiful IRL who plays a more forward and flirty character in the game, probably a Priestess of Ame-no-Uzume-no-mikoto  the goddess of dawn, mirth and revelry in the Shinto religion of Japan. She's the one who did a comical striptease to lure the sun out of the cave Ameratsu was sulking in.

My ONs and OFFs

JayNighte

Hmm..I'm loving these ideas. Do you ever go on IRC? I would like to chat with you about these ideas.

assleigh

I haven't really, do you mean the shout box?

My ONs and OFFs

JayNighte

JayNighte

Well...I guess it doesn't. Back to the super-inefficient forum chat. :/

JayNighte

Are you still interested in this?

assleigh

Always,.sorry to go silent, just got busy learning the site.

My ONs and OFFs

JayNighte

I completely understand. I hope you are having fun! I'm glad you got approved.

assleigh

Thanks, sweetie, sorry about yours. Atleast it's not a 'no'

My ONs and OFFs

JayNighte

Six months is a pretty long time, though. At least I still have access to the non-adult sections.

assleigh

So, have you thought more about your character? We could use some kind of big game Event to throw our characters together if they're from different areas...

My ONs and OFFs