FATE of the Shinigami

Started by ShadowFox89, June 06, 2013, 10:37:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowFox89

Basic game idea, Bleach game using the FATE system. I'm honestly in the brainstorming phase at this point, but I'd like to see if there's any interest before going too far.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Rayne Bluestone

never heard of the FATE system before, would be interested in reading up on it and anything bleach sounds good to me so I would be interested.

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

Kunoichi

Hmm, this certainly could be interesting.  Even if it doesn't materialize as a Bleach game, the FATE Core rulebook has an example of building up a world during character creation that seems like it could be pretty fun to do.  You've certainly got my interest.

Edit: And looking over Fate: Accelerated Edition, that actually seems like a pretty good base to start with for a Bleach game.  Character creation is quick and easy, you could use Aspects and Stunts to represent assorted powers, and I think the simplified version of the skill system makes for a more cinematic style. ^^

ShadowFox89

Glad to have your interest. I hope we can get a few more :)
Call me Shadow
My A/A

insaneplots

seems interesting wouldn't mind getting involved with this. Will download and review the FATE rp system when I get home tonight.

ShadowFox89

Cool.

What would you guys be looking at as far as a storyline goes? Do you want a more action style series with lots of big battles and chewing through mooks, or more investigative?
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Kunoichi

Hmm, tough decision...  I wouldn't mind going either way, really. ^^;

insaneplots

Same I like a mix of investigation, character development, and combat.

Rayne Bluestone

more investigative but a few battles here and there to spice things up.

Vaulera

I haven't done a system roleplay for E yet, but I have sooooo much experience with D&D, I'm even running a campaign right now! I'd love to be a part of this, if it gets the hype it needs!

ShadowFox89

I've always got game ideas. My problem is I have a hard time paying attention to actually running it and not just spinning out ideas >.<
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Vaulera

If I had to say, between mook chewing and investigating, I would personally go with a balance. You know, the big, investigative buildup to a confrontation with the ultimate not-so-mook, or a bunch of little skirmishes in the way of getting clues! It's always nice to have a mix! Running it is always the hard part. Although, the FATE system looks like it's a lot more flexible and plot-centric. As a DM for my group, I have had the most frustrating experiences. I had this massive plot and lore cache, so I made this impassible 30 foot chasm filled with avard's black tentacles. And do you wanna know how they beat it? Ladder and rope. All because my brother suggested a barbarian take three ten foot ladders and 150 feet of rope in character creation. So my suggestion, as a fellow GM, is create some situations with intrigue, balls or parties, important people with personalities, something to find out, a big mystery to be uncovered, and sprinkle some combat in. Then try and path your way through, with what connects the encounters. Also, how will we be actually doing this roleplay? Not sure how I would do the system on E

ShadowFox89

I'm not saying I've never run or haven't run many games. I've run a large number of games, both here on E and various other forums. What I'm saying is that actually keeping the plot going, keeping NPCs up, etc, is something I've always had a hard time with. And it's usually the cause of a game dying.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Vaulera

Oh! Oh yeah, that's really difficult. It's a little easier to get yourself going when you know the people, but it's not so easy when it's over the internet. I could help you out from time to time, if it isn't too compromising. Even just to talk about it to keep things interesting, if it would help at all.

ShadowFox89

Well, we have at least 4 people interested. That's a good start.

My thoughts were this: The game would take place in Soul Society Europe, focusing on recent graduates of the Soul Reaper Academy (that's you guys). We'd kick off with discovering a conspiracy in the SSE and go from there. Let me know what you think and I'll put up more of a background, like how SSE operates (something like King Arthur's court).
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Vaulera

Not 100% familiar on all of that, but I think it should be easy enough. I could most definitely go along with a conspiracy plot!

Rayne Bluestone

sounds interesting to me I look forward to it.

Andol

I would be interested in this... anything Bleach is nice, though I have never heard of the FATE system...

Mysterica

I might be able to give this a go.

Batman4560

I would be willing to learn the FATE system to do this however are you aware there is a bleach system for dnd 3.5 that has everything from various soul reaper classes to how to build a shiki? Either way if you are serious about doing this what I would do as far as weather or not to do more action or mystery. I would say let the players pick whatever squad they want to be in and determine what they will do more of based on their squads.

ShadowFox89

I'm aware Batman, I helped playtest the classed version and am in two games for the classless. FATE Accelerated is a lot quicker to pick up, and has just enough structure to work. Neither of the Bleach D20 systems are actually finished, the first has balance issues (Fullbringers facerape everyone) and the second is little more than a collection of houserules glued together.

Working on the setting a bit. Would it offend anyone's religious sensibilities if I drew from Judeo-Christian lore (specifically, the Angels and Archangels) for the European Soul Society?
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Batman4560

Doesn't bother me at all. :D

Vaulera

I'm not offended by anything anymore. Draw away!

Andol