Is god just a bunch of numbers?

Started by The Overlord, October 25, 2008, 04:04:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

Quote from: Sherona on November 02, 2008, 07:26:44 AM
There is never a right or wrong answer, atleast none that anyone has ever been able to prove beyond a reasonable doubt, when it comes to Religion. Is there a god? Is there not a god? If there is a god, is it Allah, Jehovah, The Lord or Lady? The great bosoms? Me?

I mean, besides me who you could probbaly easily disprove I am god by just looking at mistakes I make intyping, in just about everything -unless I am doing it on purpose to through you mortals off track- you can not prove anything from the questions above.

So there is no right or wrong just yet, only theoretical right's and wrong's.
I never said that we knew the right or wrong answer just that there always is one. It always boils down to who is wrong, who is right. Just because no one knows it's there, and possibly can't ever know it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Sherona

ah but can the unknown be right or wrong? If no one knows the answer how can it be etiher right or wrong yet? :)

Oniya

Sometimes in math, there are multiple 'right' answers. ;)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Sherona

*smiles* But the Right answers are known To someone on this earth, so there is a right and wrong. I am just saying if there is a question posed, that no one on this earth ever, has the answer to, then it can't be either right or wrong :P It has the Potential to be right or wrong..

Inkidu

Quote from: Sherona on November 02, 2008, 02:21:03 PM
ah but can the unknown be right or wrong? If no one knows the answer how can it be etiher right or wrong yet? :)
Yes :D Like I said just because no one can not ever know doesn't mean there isn't one.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Inkidu

Quote from: Oniya on November 02, 2008, 02:29:06 PM
Sometimes in math, there are multiple 'right' answers. ;)
So? That just makes it a little easier. The point is everything boils down to either one right answer.
EDIT: Whoops, "And one wrong answer.

Sherona

Quote from: Inkidu on November 02, 2008, 02:36:50 PM
Yes :D Like I said just because no one can not ever know doesn't mean there isn't one.

Yes you did say that..but yet again gave no factual reasons why you say so.

I say that Canada is south of the United States.

Just because I say so doesn't make it truth :P

Oniya

Quote from: Inkidu on November 02, 2008, 02:38:06 PM
So? That just makes it a little easier. The point is everything boils down to either one right answer.

But the thing is, I could be describing one right answer, and you could be describing another one, and neither person would actually be wrong.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

The Overlord

Quote from: Sherona on November 02, 2008, 07:26:44 AM
-unless I am doing it on purpose to through you mortals off track-

That one is as old as the hills and a very convenient excuse for the religious establishments to pump the masses full of whatever they please.

It means I can't even trust my own senses, my own perceptions of the universe. If we proceed under the premise that everything we know could be a trick or a lie, that makes me even less prone to believe in a creator.

Sherona

I was actually...making a small joke there..:) Not trying to argue for the existance of god..though really it just underlines the reasons why no one who does not believe in god will ever convince someone who does that god does not exist.

The Overlord

Quote from: Sherona on November 02, 2008, 03:30:30 PM
I was actually...making a small joke there..:) Not trying to argue for the existance of god..though really it just underlines the reasons why no one who does not believe in god will ever convince someone who does that god does not exist.

I know you were, I just always have roll my eyes and check myself when someone uses it without intended humor. I mean, the world really is just 6,000 years old, and all the strata layers and dinosaurs were just made to look millions of years old to test our faith.  ::)

Oniya

Quote from: The Overlord on November 02, 2008, 03:24:41 PM
It means I can't even trust my own senses, my own perceptions of the universe. If we proceed under the premise that everything we know could be a trick or a lie, that makes me even less prone to believe in a creator.

Cogito, ergo, sum.  If we do proceed under that premise, the one thing you can prove is your own existence - because something has to be doing the thinking.

Sherona

Quote from: The Overlord on November 02, 2008, 03:35:10 PM
I know you were, I just always have roll my eyes and check myself when someone uses it without intended humor. I mean, the world really is just 6,000 years old, and all the strata layers and dinosaurs were just made to look millions of years old to test our faith.  ::)

I once asked my father, a stern Germanic speaking General Baptist Preacher, that if God made Adam and Eve and gave them dominion over all of the animals on earth, and set them out to name the animals, did that include Dinosaurs. When he said Of course it does, because in the garden of eden the animals were not a threat to Adam. I then proceeded to ask him "why is it then that people say that man did not come for a bunch of years (I was 7..so yes my technical terms were a lot more silly as my silly terms now :P) later." It took my father about three days before he was able to give me an answer. This was his honest answer, "Because man relies on science to tell them what to believe. God says we are to rely on faith, blessed is he who believes in things unseen.."

It was not for many years later, after my father passed and I was well into High School before I realized that none of the religious leaders would ever be able to answer my questions without it forcing me to rely on a faith I did not share nor believe. I imagine that if my father knew that his one answer to an impromptu question would have laid the cornerstone of my conversion from christianity to agnostic(ism?) he would probably die from a heart attack...

The Overlord

Well, there was an impromptu answer for an instance where there just wasn't a known answer. It's interesting my own father was raised in a Catholic setting, but then he was very, very interested in science as well. I think that true artistic and critical side I have came from my mother's father, who was an artist, poet and deep thinker like few people I know.

I'm not really 100% sure how my dad balanced it all; he remained a church going individual until he passed away, but if I had to guess he wasn't a strict adherent to the myth of Eden like that.

blessed is he who believes in things unseen...man that just sounds so open-ended to me, because does that include the paranormal, UFO's, shadow people on all that good stuff Art Bell would bring up? And where do you draw the line, and how do you decide that? That statement sums up what Dr. Sagan said on the subject; faith is the belief in the absence of evidence.

I think that's one of the things that led me to science...the closest to faith that science gets is that has to rest on the foundation of theories until they get replaced or proven by scientific law, but it's open to the fact that eventually, science gets it wrong and has to revise things. Science really doesn't ask you to believe, it asks you to accept the truth as it finds it out.

Most of these religions that want to give you this belief set are pretty much of the idea that this is how it is, and that's it. What arrogant little primates we are to think we've got it all settled with a few aging holy books...maybe those that believe in the unseen are blessed, but IMHO the clever will try and figure it out for themselves.

Sherona

My father was so diligent in his faith..it is what ultimately killed him. He was diabetic since he was four years old, and lived on snickers and mountain dews. His sugar level was so high, and he kept it so high that if it fell to a 'normal' level he felt weak. He claimed god would heal him and that god would take him to heaven when god felt like it. He died at age 33 due to the complications, it was just bad.

I don't know where my love of science came from, but I do not think that the church or even most christians really realize what they are preaching. I think that its so ingrained in them from centuries of preaching that its just second nature to believe.

And I agree with your last paragraph wholeheartedly :P I have always maintained that IF there was a higher being out there capable of directing the Big Bang, capable of designing and keeping something as complicated as the human brain working just so then I doubt that we as humans, until we grow in knowledge a LOT, would never be able to truly understand God.

Funny that that tidbit of belief came from my father as well. That was his answers to all the unknown, to all of the contradictions. That the prophets who wrote the bible wrote it the way tehy could understand it, in terms that they could identify with and that is why ther was contradictions.

*shrugs*

I just let people believe what they want to if they are not hurting anyone else but themselves. It gives them a measure of hope, peace and what not so I think anyone who can find that should not have it ripped away if they do not choose to.