Elliquian Atheists

Started by Sabby, May 12, 2012, 03:45:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MasterMischief

Quote from: Oniya on September 26, 2012, 03:07:39 PM
Make sure you've signed the paperwork for it (sister in the medical field - sees this all the time.)

Where would I find the paperwork for this?  A living will I would think.

Caitlin

Nope, you need to visit your doctor, get special forms, fill those in, go through a procedure and get accepted for it. It's not as simple as signing up and letting them have your body. My uncle is a doctor and he told me some of the details that this involves. He regularly gets the question from his patients and it's not as easy as you might think. They're actually pretty picky about who they accept. ;)

In my country there is even a wait list these days to be accepted for science.

Oniya

Quote from: MasterMischief on September 26, 2012, 03:13:39 PM
Where would I find the paperwork for this?  A living will I would think.

Living will and organ donor card at a bare minimum.  I'm not sure about the 'donating your body to science' unless you've got something particularly unusual to be studied (there's a lot of talk about moving away from cadavers and towards virtual corpses).  Talk to your doctor.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Caitlin

Ah yes, for donor you need one of those cards for it and keep it on you at all times. There are stories in my country where people didn't have their paperwork on them at the time of dying and then still didn't get their organs harvested because the hospital people weren't sure if they were allowed to. It'd be a pity if that happened.

Oniya

Many driver's licenses have a box you can check, but ideally you want to have it in a notarized document like a living will and be sure that your next of kin know about it.  It saves time, and time is of the essence when it comes to organ retention.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Caitlin

It works differently here, we use a sort of card that indicates it. It's probably best to inform about this at either the Red Cross, your doctor, or even the hospital. They should be able to give you more information. :)

Pumpkin Seeds

If you live in the United States and are interested in organ donation, then it’s best to contact or look up your local organ procurement agency.  They will have the rules and regulations on hand to assist in helping you declare that you want to donate your organs.  Typically when you get your driver’s license you can also sign up to be an organ donor.  The organ donation indicator on your license though is only as good as your family backing up the indicator.  If a member of your family is present when the organ procurement team arrives and states that they do not want your organs donated, then they will not extract the organs or tissue. 

Sadly the same goes for most any document in medicine.

MasterMischief

Thanks for helping me hijack this thread.   ;D

Seriously, this is good information to know.  I will talk to my doctor when I see him next month.

Vanity Evolved

Just thought I'd drop by and throw my lovely hat in with the Atheists on Elliquiy~

Hi! I'm an Agnostic Atheist / Buddhist. Cuddles please. :3

Sabby

Yay! Ryu is finally here xD Now I can stop being the community angry Atheist.

Vanity Evolved

You'll always be the angry Atheist~

Hemingway

Quote from: Sabby on September 28, 2012, 08:16:40 PM
Yay! Ryu is finally here xD Now I can stop being the community angry Atheist.

Could've sworn that was me. I might just be better at hiding it.

MasterMischief

Can I be the community non-angry atheist?

Sabby

Are we really having a contest of who doesn't believe the hardest? xD

Pumpkin Seeds

Seems that would be the case.

MasterMischief

Every time someone say they don't believe in a god, a unicorn gets its horn.  It's true.

Teo Torriatte

But... if there is no god, then who kills all the kittens when people misbehave? *ponders*

MasterMischief

Quote from: Luna on September 29, 2012, 07:25:01 AM
But... if there is no god, then who kills all the kittens when people misbehave? *ponders*

The Devil.

Hemingway

You guys are completely misunderstanding. We're not arguing over who believes the least, but over who gets the most pissed off when injustices are carried out because of religion. Which I think is a very healthy form of anger.

Lady Grey

Hello folks. I'm an Atheist. Can I crash this party?

Vanity Evolved

There is no crashing, only cuddles~

Lady Grey

Hemingway

Unless they're religious cuddles.

Stattick

How the hell did this turn into a cuddle thread? I thought that we already had threads for that sort of thing, threads behind the membership wall. Why do we need to do that out here too?

Oh, wait... I forgot, we have exhibitionists.
O/O   A/A

Hemingway

To show the religious that the argument that you can't have love without god is worthless.